PDA

View Full Version : Milton Friedman: statist or libertarian?

powerofreason
08-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Who's side do you take? Rothbard's or Friedman's?

Excerpt from Milton Friedman Unraveled. Full article: http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard43.html

Milton Friedman Unraveled

by Murray N. Rothbard

THE IMPACT OF FRIEDMAN

And so, as we examine Milton Friedman’s credentials to be the leader of free-market economics, we arrive at the chilling conclusion that it is difficult to consider him a free-market economist at all. Even in the micro sphere, Friedman’s theoretical concessions to the egregious ideal of "perfect competition" would permit a great deal of governmental trust-busting, and his neighborhood-effect concession to a government intervention could permit a virtual totalitarian state, even though Friedman illogically confines its application to a few areas. But even here, Friedman uses this argument to justify the State’s provision of mass education to everyone.

But it is in the macro sphere, unwisely hived off from the micro by economists who remain after sixty years ignorant of Ludwig von Mises’s achievement in integrating them, it is here that Friedman’s influence has been at its most baleful. For we find Friedman bearing heavy responsibility both for the withholding tax system and for the disastrous guaranteed annual income looming on the horizon. At the same time, we find Friedman calling for absolute control by the State over the supply of money – a crucial part of the market economy. Whenever the government has, fitfully and almost by accident, stopped increasing the money supply (as Nixon did for several months in the latter half of 1969), Milton Friedman has been there to raise the banner of inflation once again. And wherever we turn, we find Milton Friedman, proposing not measures on behalf of liberty, not programs to whittle away the Leviathan State, but measures to make the power of that State more efficient, and hence, at bottom, more terrible.

The libertarian movement has coasted far too long on the intellectually lazy path of failing to make distinctions, or failing to discriminate, of failing to make a rigorous search to distinguish truth from error in the views of those who claim to be its members or allies. It is almost as if any passing joker who mumbles a few words about "freedom" is automatically clasped to our bosom as a member of the one, big, libertarian family. As our movement grows in influence, we can no longer afford the luxury of this intellectual sloth. It is high time to identify Milton Friedman for what he really is. It is high time to call a spade a spade, and a statist a statist.

Original Link w/ bib and notes: http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard43.html

powerofreason
08-15-2009, 06:31 AM
The first poll option should read:

Milton Friedman was a statist leaning libertarian, or a flat out libertarian.

The second should read:

Milton Friedman was a libertarian leaning statist, or a flat out statist.

Sorry bout that.

coyote_sprit
08-15-2009, 06:50 AM
"Milton Friedman was a statist leaning libertarian, or a flat out libertarian", Though I voted the first one because they aren't typed right. He has a lot of views I agree with but some I disagree with but he sure as hell wasn't a full blown statist.

FreeTraveler
08-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Milton Friedman was a false flag op. People hear he's a libertarian and think all libertarians are for bigger, more controlling government, as long as it's bigger and more controlling in favor of the corporations.

Sandra
08-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Milton Friedman was a false flag op. People hear he's a libertarian and think all libertarians are for bigger, more controlling government, as long as it's bigger and more controlling in favor of the corporations.

So which is it? Free market or government controlled? Big corporations were the product of favored GOVERNMENT regulation btw.

hugolp
08-15-2009, 08:03 AM

+1

Sandra
08-15-2009, 08:27 AM
+1

Same question:
So which is it? Free market or government controlled? Big corporations were the product of favored GOVERNMENT regulation btw.

RM918
08-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I have no idea who he is. I've heard him mentioned a lot, and my biggest run-in was that I once brought up to a Canadian friend of mine that I was pretty much in agreement with Ron Paul on economic issues. He said that Paul viewed Milton Friedman as a 'hero', and because of that he'd never listen to Paul on related matters because he apparently regarded Friedman as something of an economic Hitler with whom any association is rendered poison.

Pod
08-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Friedman was a neo-liberal like Thatcher and Reagan. They talk the talk but don`t walk the walk. They did a lot to screw up the reputation of the market and they did alot to screw up countless economies around the world.

Sandra
08-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Friedman was a neo-liberal like Thatcher and Reagan. They talk the talk but don`t walk the walk. They did a lot to screw up the reputation of the market and they did alot to screw up countless economies around the world.

How do you link Freidman to it? What is it with Freidman's philosophy that makes you say that?

Pod
08-15-2009, 04:25 PM
How do you link Freidman to it? What is it with Freidman's philosophy that makes you say that?

It is just the history of Neoliberalism. Friedman is the founder of the Chicago School of economics and they are very influential with the Neoliberals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism

Objectivist
08-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Economic liberal in his own words. He explained economics based on the system as it is set up now.
He didn't like the system the way it is currently designed and expressed that numerous times. Therefore he called himself a "liberal" to that system, not conservative to it.
He was a libertarian, not a statist.

0zzy
08-15-2009, 05:01 PM
A picture of Friedman can be found in Dr. Paul's office.

Objectivist
08-16-2009, 03:45 AM
A picture of Friedman can be found in Dr. Paul's office.

They've met I'm sure.