PDA

View Full Version : "What is the best thing parents or authorities can do to discourage underage drinking

retrorepublican
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Here is my response (it has to be under 400 words, it's graded, and is submitted to the local newspaper for a chance to be published):

"The absolute best way for parents and authorities to stem underage drinking would be to encourage young Americans to learn and love freedom. This would only be possible through education and example. In a free society, you can do whatever you want as long as you don’t endanger the life, liberty, and property of another. I think this is a pretty sweet deal as a kid entering the adult world. The rules of freedom are broken with DUI accidents and other alcohol-instigated tragedies.

The only thing a parent can do to ensure their teenagers make the right decision with alcohol is to love them and to play a constructive role in their lives. They should set a good example in the home, be great role models, and communicate with us. In the end, no law can change a society, only its people can. It would take more responsibility, particularly on the part of the parent, to effectively eliminate the need for alcohol in their children’s lives. It may sound hard, and there is no political quick-fix for it, but it’s the only way to see permanent and long-lasting change. Sometimes, it’s the “old-fashioned” way that works best.

On New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio last week, “The Jersey Guys” asked listeners to call in with stories on the topic of the dumbest thing you ever did as a teen. One woman reminisced about the time her mother gave her a bottle of champagne as a gift for her school bus driver. The bottle never made it to its intended recipient, instead her daughter shared the bottle with other students on the bus, and well, you can guess the rest. I also remember my mom telling me once about a friends’ parent allowing underage drinking in the home so long as they were sleeping over. I mean c’mon!

Authorities are limited in what they can do. The laws currently in effect do more to deter the acquirement of the alcohol, than the actual consumption of it. Unless breathalyzers are implanted in our throats, this will never change, because the decision to drink ultimately falls on the morality of the individual. The problem is one that needs to be addressed in the family while it still can be. Unfortunately, the State doesn’t make much better parents. Hear that mom and dad? You’re the only ones I got!"

What do you guys think? My mom wants me to take out the first paragraph, because she thinks it makes me sound like a crazy person, and she says everyone will be like "What the hell are you talking about?" It's annoying and upsetting arguing with her. What do you guys think?

giskard
09-27-2007, 03:24 PM
This is a parenting issue, and the government shouldn't get involved with more laws and more regulations.

IMO parents should slowly introduce social drinking to their kids in the privacy of their homes, starting at an age they think is appropriate. It may be 16, it may be 18. If they know how to drink socially at 18, then there isn't that stupid binge drinking that happens when they turn 21.

Read this:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/015379.html

"The message is, "Don’t Serve Alcohol to Teens. It’s unsafe. It’s illegal. It’s irresponsible." We Don't Serve Teens is a national campaign on the part of the Federal Trade Commission"
"So 18-year-olds and 19-year-olds (and even 20-year-olds) are teens, correct? According to this government campaign they are. But what about this government campaign known as Selective Service? According to the Imperial Branch of government, teens are "men." Under the "Who must register?" guidelines, everywhere it mentions those who must register, they are referred to as "men." Men, men, men, men, men. Men from 18 to 25 years of age. An 18-year-old is a teen if he drinks a beer, and he is a man if he puts on the conqueror's camouflage and learns to kill for the state. "

McDermit
09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
the first paragraph doesnt jive. you dont tie liberty or freedom in anywhere else in the essay.. just that first paragraph. it's kind of like "yeah, okay.. great.. and what does this have to do with anything?"

EvilEngineer
09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Give the kid a "cement mixer" and tell them all drinks taste like that. When they puke, laugh and praise your self for about 5 years of safety before they try to drink again.

hard@work
09-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Set a good example, give them a healthy warm encouraging environment, and be involved in their personal lives.

eleganz
09-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Let's face it guys, good parenting is hard to come by. Unforfunately, I myself don't see the entire nations' bad parents seeing the light and actually giving a toot about their kids.

hard@work
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Let's face it guys, good parenting is hard to come by. Unforfunately, I myself don't see the entire nations' bad parents seeing the light and actually giving a toot about their kids.

And it's time people woke up to this, or it will continue to decline. Parenting is also about who you are as a person and how you live your life. The government should have nothing to do with this - but the community is there for you.

It's unfortunate we've abandoned that and have allowed individuals to be so afraid that they look to legislating virtue instead of reaching out to their neighbors.

OptionsTrader
09-27-2007, 05:15 PM
What is the best thing parents or authorities can do to discourage underage drinking

Personal responsibility.

Recognition that it isn't up the the authorities and that parents need to take responsibilty for their children instead of assuming someone else is going to do the job for them.

drednot
09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
What is the best thing parents or authorities can do to discourage underage drinking

Show them cause and effect.

Show them what's happened to teens that didn't heed warnings about alchohol.

Show them accident victims in wheelchairs.

Show them homeless people drinking out of paper bags.

But yeah, give them the love they need to enjoy life without turning to substance abuse.

Jon S
09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
best way to stop underage drinkin? lower the drinking age.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
09-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Growing up with it in a non-taboo environment is the best way to know how to drink in the future.

Perry
09-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Teach your kids moderation. Teach them that it can be enjoyable but in excess is disastrous. Teach them the truth!
Most of all raise them happy and with love and they shall not seek to escape adulthood.