PDA

View Full Version : Are you outside of the US? Do you like your National Health Care?

muh_roads
08-13-2009, 12:05 AM
There seems to be a lack of real people letting us know whether their national health care is good or not in other countries. I'm just wondering if there is anyone who can give personal experiences on this forum if you're reading this?

Thanks.

hugolp
08-13-2009, 12:22 AM
I live in Spain.

I have talked about his alredy in this forum, so I will try to make it quick.

My grandma had cataracts and went to the public health. The waiting list was for months (5 or 6 if I recall correctly). We did not want her to wait so much time having to suffer that and my parents and my uncles sent her to a private hospital. We ended up paying twice, because you are paying for the public health through taxes no matter what. Now she keeps paying double as, since then, she has a private health insurance.

I live outside a big city for two years now. I have gone five times to the hospital near my house (mostly for visiting, only one for myself). Each and everytime I have seen old people half naked being checked by the doctor in the corridors. Also, some of the rooms where the patients is checked by doctors are not individual. The time I went for myself I had to wait 4 hours to be checked. The hospital is not prepare to handle the necesities of this zone at all.

I really have not a lot of knowledge about what the best health care system is, or if it should be totally private or partly public, or whatever. I have not really studied the issue. I heard Switzerland has a good implementation by forcing to have a insurance on people, but if you have a private one, you dont have to pay the public one. I really dont know much, and could no say what is the best system, but I can tell you the public health system we have here is shitty, and just does not work.

gls
08-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Krugman sure didn't get the response he was hoping for, lol

YouTube - Krugman gets p3wned on Canadian Health Care (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EPd2i4Jshs)

Epic
08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
most people don't find out their government system is bad until they or someone they know gets sick.

Before that, they just hear a lot of government propaganda akin to propaganda in the Soviet Union that told people who were receiving small food rations that they should be thankful for the little they got, because in America their government didn't even give them anything! (Of course, you can just get it through voluntary interaction...)

muh_roads
08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I live in Spain.

I have talked about his alredy in this forum, so I will try to make it quick.

My grandma had cataracts and went to the public health. The waiting list was for months (5 or 6 if I recall correctly). We did not want her to wait so much time having to suffer that and my parents and my uncles sent her to a private hospital. We ended up paying twice, because you are paying for the public health through taxes no matter what. Now she keeps paying double as, since then, she has a private health insurance.

I live outside a big city for two years now. I have gone five times to the hospital near my house (mostly for visiting, only one for myself). Each and everytime I have seen old people half naked being checked by the doctor in the corridors. Also, some of the rooms where the patients is checked by doctors are not individual. The time I went for myself I had to wait 4 hours to be checked. The hospital is not prepare to handle the necesities of this zone at all.

I really have not a lot of knowledge about what the best health care system is, or if it should be totally private or partly public, or whatever. I have not really studied the issue. I heard Switzerland has a good implementation by forcing to have a insurance on people, but if you have a private one, you dont have to pay the public one. I really dont know much, and could no say what is the best system, but I can tell you the public health system we have here is shitty, and just does not work.

Thanks for your insight. You posted a longer thread about this elsewhere? Can you post the link?

Dianne
08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
lol at Krugman.