PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' Serious: Ballot Access Compilations

JVParkour
08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey Ya'll,

I had a few questions concerning presidential ballot access. I know a candidate must register in all 50 states, going through the specific requirements for each state and so forth.

Is there any 'master list' or some sort of organized data available to the public that thoroughly details the process' needed for each state? I was thinking that if such a list does not exist (which I am sure it does somewhere), we should start compiling the information into one organized, and highly guarded document.

Once the base of the document is formed, detailing the steps needed for ballot access for each of the 50 states, further depth could be added. This could include compiling a bunch of demographic lists for each state; racial percentages, male, female, reps, dems, ind., etc. In addition to that info, I was thinking we could include stats and facts from past presidential races, like who did what, and where, and if it was effective.

For example, Kentucky. 1,2,3,4,5 etc. steps needed to gain ballot access. Demographics for rural areas as well as metropolitan. Which candidates have won in the last 25 years, and why.

I feel that something like this would be EXTREMELY helpful for the liberty movement. Saying "its too hard for independents to get on the ballot" would no longer be an excuse. Even if the next liberty candidate ran as a Rep or Dem, we would have organized and helpful information concerning the best way to spend campaign money in each state, personally tailored for each individual location.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I am willing to put in hundreds of hours over the next few years to see something like this come into existence. A document like this, combined with the organizational network that C4L has founded would work wonders.

Thoughts and comments?:)

(Mods, if you think necessary, please move to General Politics for more exposure)

DirtMcGirt
08-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Great question: there were tons of threads about this in the early stages of RP's campaign. Lots of conflicting info at times. Even though the search thread option isn't the best you might be able to find something there.

I am wondering when CFL is going to make ballot access a priority topic before its too late for mid-term elections and 2012.

Imperial
08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Richard Winger at http://www.ballot-access.org might know.

mello
08-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I always wondered which states were unfair toward third party candidates. I remembered
Dr. Paul saying that it's unfair to run as a third party candidate because most of the
money raised would end up going towards getting on the ballot. I can't remember the
state but he mentioned one where republican & democratic candidates only needed to
have 500 signatures & $500 to get on a particular state's ballot. To get on that same
ballot, an independent candidate needed something ridiculous like 5,000 signatures &
$5,000. He said that you needed to have Ross Perot money but even then, they changed
the system so he couldn't get on the debates.

If someone does start this list, I recommend finding out which of those States have the
unfair ballot standards & putting those up first.

RP4EVER
08-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Oklahoma comes to mind...something like 48,000 in 90 days; was the 2008 total; I think....its an outrageous number in a short period of time.

ballot access news does have a partial list of signatures required.

Virginia is 10,000 signatures total....but theres a minimum of 400 PER Congressional district.

http://www.ballot-access.org/2008/100108.html scroll to the bottom of that page.

justinc.1089
08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Um here's my question, if ballot access is sooooooo incredibly hard for third party candidates, and it is in some places, then why doesn't that candidate just run as a Republican or Democrat???? It sure seems MUCH simpler to me.

Imperial
08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
For presidential elections, look at where Nader didn't get on the ballot (because it was too hard).

Oklahoma is the worst. Then is West Virginia for president(but there is legislation that seems to be gaining traction with lobbying). There is Texas, where the Libertarians pulled it off under Wes Benedict's leadership and the Democrats not running for every statewide office and giving the Libertarians an opening. But it is incredibly expensive and difficult. There are a few others too that are very difficult.

Also, it is often easier to run as an independent but not under a third party label.