PDA

View Full Version : I was at the Neal Boortz show

wgadget
09-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Just got back from the Boortz broadcast at the Galleria. Did anyone happen to listen
to the show today?

I attended with my 11yo daughter and 15yo son, and it was a decent show (as far
as language and subject matter). My daughter proudly wore her new Ron Paul hat
the entire time, which was from 8:30am-1pm. We sat about four rows back front and
center, so that everyone up on the stage was sure to know our affiliation, via the
hat.

Well, Newt came in around 10:30 and did his spiel, and left around 11. Newt was
working his way out of the room when this guy comes in yelling something like, "How
much did it cost you to sell your soul, Newt? I used to be a neo-con, too...(unintelligible)"
Well, they carried him off, and I said to Troy, who sat beside me, "I hope
he wasn't a Ron Paul supporter..."

Guess what? When the show comes back on the air, Boortz starts in on calling this
guy a "pot bellied pig" and claiming he WAS a Ron Paul supporter. He
went on a rant for a while saying that RP favors the terrorists who want us all
dead, etc. Some guy called a few minutes later named Mark whom Boortz lost somehow.
(We were wondering if it was Mark A?) Then another guy did get through
who was defending RP, and had some great points, but Boortz out-talked him, and
the caller got cut off. A lot of animosity today at the "studio" against
"you Ron Paul supporters," but it was not unexpected.

Boortz took the opportunity to tell all about how the evil RP supporters wanted
to throw Romney (sic) off the ferry in Michigan. He told us what we already know
about our supporters causing the loss of credibility to RP's election... Then
I wrote him a note (which Troy kindly delivered) saying that 1). It was Giuliani,
not Romney 2). That a candidate has no control over who supports him. 3) Thanks
for putting out Ron Paul's name on the radio, albeit in a bad light. I signed
it "Homeschool Mother of Three for Ron Paul 2008."

JPFromTally
09-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Nice job. Keep it professional.

JMann
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
thanks for being a classy RP supporter because their sure are a lot of them out there that seem to think turning off people is the best way to build support like the idiot yelling at Speaker Gingrich. I'm sure if he was using the n word he is probably a Paul supporter, unfortunately.

JS4Pat
09-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Then
I wrote him a note (which Troy kindly delivered) saying that 1). It was Giuliani,
not Romney 2). That a candidate has no control over who supports him. 3) Thanks
for putting out Ron Paul's name on the radio, albeit in a bad light. I signed
it "Homeschool Mother of Three for Ron Paul 2008."
You're a class act wgadget and a great example for the rest of us.

I know I wouldn't have reacted that well. I probably would have shouted "Neocon" or something and I would have been much less effective than you.

Magsec
09-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't get it. Boortz is a Libertarian. So neither Republican nor Libertarian wants RP (basically, the neocons at this point, party hardly matters).

What bugs me is that he'll call out RP for "supporting terrorists who want us dead" and not really go after the Democrats who are pretty much have a similar mindset.

Am I missing something or is no one on this planet paying attention to unsupported facts? Why are Americans giving up on this political race based on commentary chock full of errors and mistatements as truth? Hate it, makes me want to shout RP on the tallest mountain for all to hear.

Akus
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't get it. Boortz is a Libertarian. So neither Republican nor Libertarian wants RP (basically, the neocons at this point, party hardly matters).

What bugs me is that he'll call out RP for "supporting terrorists who want us dead" and not really go after the Democrats who are pretty much have a similar mindset.

Am I missing something or is no one on this planet paying attention to unsupported facts? Why are Americans giving up on this political race based on commentary chock full of errors and mistatements as truth? Hate it, makes me want to shout RP on the tallest mountain for all to hear.

Neil Boortz is a shock jock, but unlike Howard Stern, he is a political one. Bashing RP is in right now, kind of like platform shoes and Charleston dance were in some time ago. I respect him less now because he bashes the very person who wants to solve the problems we currently have. I still consider him a Libertarian, because he does support most of the Libertarian ideals, but I no longer consider him a credible reporter.

Much like O'Reilly.

wgadget
09-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Oh, and Boortz called Ron Paul an "isolationist."

Taco John
09-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I just wish Neil wouldn't present himself as a Libertarian. He confuses a lot of people with that act. Just admit you're too embarassed to call yourself a Republican Neil. No sense in dragging real libertarians through the mud.

speciallyblend
09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Great Job wgadget,

Adam Smith
09-27-2007, 02:58 PM
You did well, wgadget.

I used to love Neal... and Sean, and Rush, and O'Reilly and even Rooty-tooty Newty (I was a big fan of the Contract with America).

I can't listen to them anymore. But I admire them for teaching me what it means to really think for myself.

ChristopherJ
09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Wait - Are you saying the guy yelling wasn't a RP supporter? Was there any way Boortz could tell he WAS a RP supporter or did he just make that up for the hell of it?

wgadget
09-27-2007, 11:19 PM
At the time, there was no way to tell if he was a Ron Paul supporter or not, at least outwardly. No hat, no t-shirt, etc.

But I found out later that indeed, the man WAS a Ron Paul supporter--a very passionate, sold-out Ron Paul supporter from our meetup group.

Which has sparked a little controversy among us about our freedom of speech rights and whether or not we should be able to exercise them in a situation like this....

TheIndependent
09-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Ugh. I think it's not freedom of speech that's the issue; it's how to effectively get your point across without making a scene that puts the candidate in a bad light.

The power of persuasion doesn't work when a supporter turns everyone off in the worst possible way. I once lived in Atlanta (well, until recently) and know that Boortz has an sensitive radar in his head for this kind of shit. Being as influential as he is, he's not someone worth pissing off.

paulpwns
09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
bortz sold out after 9/11

he took the neo-con foreign policy and keeps all the old Libertarian ideals.

He is a shithead.

BillyBeer
09-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Neil Boortz is a shock jock, but unlike Howard Stern, he is a political one. Bashing RP is in right now, kind of like platform shoes and Charleston dance were in some time ago. I respect him less now because he bashes the very person who wants to solve the problems we currently have. I still consider him a Libertarian, because he does support most of the Libertarian ideals, but I no longer consider him a credible reporter.

Much like O'Reilly.

Libertarian ideals such as favouring a national ID card?

BillyBeer
09-27-2007, 11:48 PM
bortz sold out after 9/11

he took the neo-con foreign policy and keeps all the old Libertarian ideals.

He is a shithead.

Another dude who did the same thing and went wacko after 9/11 was Larry Elder.

paulpwns
09-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Another dude who did the same thing and went wacko after 9/11 was Larry Elder.

Yeah they are all apart of the same bunch

Old school "libertarians", who found some new "$reasons$" to turn to a neo-con FP.

devil21
09-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Ugh. I think it's not freedom of speech that's the issue; it's how to effectively get your point across without making a scene that puts the candidate in a bad light.

Do you think Ron would agree with your statement that freedom of speech doesn't apply to radio broadcasts even if it minutely damages his campaign? I think Ron would shake his hand. The goal is electing Ron but not compromising what Ron stands for. Once you compromise then you become a business as usual supporter. Just IMHO.

daviddee
09-28-2007, 12:03 AM