PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Jackson: Why Isn't Michael Vick Getting a Contract?

Cowlesy
08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/08/jackson-wonders-if-owners-colluding-vs-vick.html

The Rev. Jesse Jackson told the New York Times he wonders if the NFL's franchise owners are colluding to keep quarterback Michael Vick out of the league.

"I want to make it an issue," the civil rights leader told the newspaper. "I want teams to explain why they have a quarterback who has less skills but is playing or at least is on the taxi squad, and a guy with more skills can't get into training camp."

No team has signed Vick since the quarterback was conditionally reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

I don't know Reverand Jackson, maybe because he's an animal abuser and killer and fans may not appreciate that?

Just sayin..

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't know Reverand Jackson, maybe because he's an animal abuser and killer and fans may not appreciate that?

Are dog-killers and abusers a protected group yet?

Edit: who would sign him and dare invite the wrath of animal lovers and protestors?

Krugerrand
08-12-2009, 09:41 AM
The early season suspension I'm sure plays a part in it.

He's paid a higher price than many athletes that have done worse crimes. I have no problem with a team that wants him.

Jesse should be going after the players union not the NFL owners. Why is the players union not standing up complaining? Why is the players union not appealing the suspension? Why is the players union silent on Mike Vick. He paid his dues.

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Jesse should be going after the players union not the NFL owners. Why is the players union not standing up complaining? Why is the players union not appealing the suspension? Why is the players union silent on Mike Vick. He paid his dues.

What should the union do? Should a team be forced to hire him?

__27__
http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/08/jackson-wonders-if-owners-colluding-vs-vick.html

Just sayin..

Yeah, as opposed the the hundreds of dopeheads/gangbangers/rapists/etc. on NFL payrolls right now? Give me a break, Vick should have a starting job in the NFL, no doubt about it. Race has nothing to do with it though, he was persecuted because he was Michael Vick, if he wasn't Michael Vick he would have gotten 30 days suspended sentence and a fine, and not one person would have heard or cared about it at all.

Scofield
If I am an owner of an NFL team, I don't want Vick anywhere near my organization.

I wouldn't hire a murderer. I wouldn't hire a rapist. I wouldn't hire an individual who brutally murdered dogs for sport.

Call me crazy, but I have principles. I am personally sickened by Michael Vick, and there isn't a chance in Hell he would ever work for my organization (even if it was a grocery store).

Nirvikalpa
08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Where was he when an angry mob of his own people attacked the black man that was conservative? Hmmm?

Has he apologized for inciting the riots in NYC?

Guy needs to learn to shut his mouth. He isn't even a reverend.

Yeah, as opposed the the hundreds of dopeheads/gangbangers/rapists/etc. on NFL payrolls right now?

True. Well, moral human beings should not support a franchise that hires those type of people. You are paying their salary.

Krugerrand
08-12-2009, 10:01 AM
What should the union do? Should a team be forced to hire him?

The union should be comparing Vick's situation to previous legal infractions committed by NFL players and see that his suspension is not in line with theirs. It should be filing a grievance against the suspension. It should be actively promoting an image of somebody who has paid his debt to society and is ready to start over. It (if anybody and not Jesse Jackson) should be asking if there is owner collusion. It should be representing his interests since that's why they took dues from him.

No team should be forced to hire him. Yes there could be a backlash of animal advocates. But, when looked at in light of the complete lack of backlash towards players convicted of spousal abuse, DUI manslaughter, etc - it's a sad statement on our society.

max
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I have to agrree with Jesse Jerkoff on this one.

The man did his time and lost many millions of dollars. For NFL owners to conspire against him is an unjust extension of a punishment that was already meted out.

Ray Lewis was involved in a murder and he is still playing.

I'm also not comfortable with the idea of sending people to jail for so long for animal abuse. A stiff fine, public humiliation, and the loss of so many endorsements would have sufficed.

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes there could be a backlash of animal advocates.

But it wouldn't just be "animal advocates". You'd have a whole lot more than the usual peta-folks. Not to mention their target-market of men? how many good ole boy football watching fans love their dog? Their best friend? Yeah, it's really a no-go publicity wise. If I was an NFL owner I wouldn't come near hiring him.

pahs1994
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Teams don't want him because of all the baggage that comes with him, period. Jackson needs to stop playing the race card every fuckin time

Scofield
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
For NFL owners to conspire against him is an unjust extension of a punishment that was already meted out.

Are you suggesting all 32 owners sat in a room together and decided that none of them would hire Vick?

Ray Lewis was involved in a murder and he is still playing.

Ray Lewis never went to prison. Ray Lewis was never convicted of a crime.

I'm also not comfortable with the idea of sending people to jail for so long for animal abuse. A stiff fine, public humiliation, and the loss of so many endorsements would have sufficed.

You are in the small (minuscule) minority on this. You have no idea how much people care for animals, especially household pets like dogs.

Soca Taliban
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Jesse Jackson needs to go in a corner and shut the hell up.
Do I think M. Vick's sentence was BS? Yes!
Do teams have a right to hire whoever the hell they want? yes.
Do I think M. Vick should be picked up by a team? Of course,
but does M. Vick have a right to an NFL job, hell any job for that matter? NO.

Soca Taliban
08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
You are in the small (minuscule) minority on this. You have no idea how much people care for animals, especially household pets like dogs. Dogs aren't humans. What makes a dog's life more valuable than say a chicken?

Teams don't want him because of all the baggage that comes with him, period. Jackson needs to stop playing the race card every fuckin time
Not to mention he might not be eligible to play until week 6........teams might not want to take a chance risking team chemistry or take on the. financial liability

__27__
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Dogs aren't humans. What makes a dog's life more valuable than say a chicken?

Agreed, animals need to be treated equally across species. Not considered property for some species, but because you happen to own another species for companionship they now qualify for different rights.

If animals are property, we can be disgusted at how someone treats their property, but we cannot expect to punish them legally for their actions. If they are not property, then every farm/slaughterhouse/chicken coop/etc. in the country should be shut down and the owners prosecuted.

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Dogs aren't humans. What makes a dog's life more valuable than say a chicken?

The person you quoted never claimed that. But since you asked; value is in the eye of the beholder and most americans value dogs more so than chickens.

__27__
08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
The person you quoted never claimed that. But since you asked; value is in the eye of the beholder and most americans value dogs more so than chickens.

What is that supposed to mean? Across America in the early days, most American's valued whites more so than blacks, does this make it right?

They are either property or they are not.

ctiger2
08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I can't even believe the commish already reinstated him. Vick lied to the commish's face about being involved in this crap. If I was the commish I'd have suspended him for 1 year after prison release. I don't know what team in their right mind would want the bad press Vick would bring. Vick really ruined his life right now.

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:20 AM
What is that supposed to mean? Across America in the early days, most American's valued whites more so than blacks, does this make it right?
They are either property or they are not.

Please point out where I said anything was "right". Do you disagree that Americans in general value dogs greater than chickens?

Can different property have different values?

pahs1994
08-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Why doesn't Jesse demand to know why J.P. Lossman isn't on a NFL team? He is better than at least the practice squad guys! It must be because he is white :rolleyes:

max
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Are you suggesting all 32 owners sat in a room together and decided that none of them would hire Vick?

Ray Lewis never went to prison. Ray Lewis was never convicted of a crime.

You are in the small (minuscule) minority on this. You have no idea how much people care for animals, especially household pets like dogs.

Conspiracy was a poor choice of words. It's more of an unspoken mutual understanding that hiring Vick could create controversy.

Let's just say that they are all chicken shit money hungry wimps who are afraid of PETA...

And I love dogs as much as anyone else......but I also believe in mercy and justice.

VICK DID HIS TIME (a ridcluous 2 years!!!!!!) AND LOST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. Was he supposed to get lefe in prison? The electric chair?...Enough already.

Why do these owners have to rob him of his opportunity (notice I didnt say "his right") to earn a living at what he does best?

Soca Taliban
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
The person you quoted never claimed that. But since you asked; value is in the eye of the beholder and most americans value dogs more so than chickens. Never implied he/she made that claim.
I didn't ask you to state the obvious........I ask on what do they base their rational that a dog's life is more valuable than a chicken. If its based on just how they "feel" then that's worthless because feelings change and feelings aren't standard across society. Today its dogs, tomorrow it could be rats. Should someone get 23 months in jail and be branded a felon for killing rats?

__27__
08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Please point out where I said anything was "right". Do you disagree that Americans in general value dogs greater than chickens?

Do you disagree that American's in general once valued whites more than blacks?

If they are property you have the right to do with them as you wish, though we may be disgusted by how you treat your property (just like we may be disgusted if you just let your garbage pile up on the floor of your house) we have no right to legally punish you for your treatment of your own property.

If they are NOT property, you have NO RIGHT to keep them as a slave in your house for your own personal companionship. If they are NOT property, a farmer has NO RIGHT to keep them as livestock to be used for their milk/meat/fur/skin/etc.

They are either property or they aren't.

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Why do these owners have to rob him of his opportunity (notice I didnt say "his right") to earn a living at what he does best?

How are they robbing him? They just aren't offering him a job.

Brian4Liberty
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM

Well, you may value your dog, but Micheal Vick didn't kill your dog.

You may have a beloved pet chicken, and you would have every right to be upset if Michael Vick choked your chicken.

Soca Taliban
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know what team in their right mind would want the bad press Vick would bring. The same reason any team would want to sign any player.......the possibility of positive cash flow and increasing the probability of winning. Boils down to basic economics really. :p

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Of course not, some still do.

If they are property you have the right to do with them as you wish, though we may be disgusted by how you treat your property (just like we may be disgusted if you just let your garbage pile up on the floor of your house) we have no right to legally punish you for your treatment of your own property.

I never disagreed with this. In fact when it happened I pretty much said the same thing. I wasn't aware that we were discussing his criminal sentence. the topic is him getting hired by the nfl after his prison sentence. The NFL depends on fans and the owners obviously have decided that he does not help them market their product.

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Well, you may value your dog, but Micheal Vick didn't kill your dog.

You may have a beloved pet chicken, and you would have every right to be upset if Michael Vick choked your chicken.

The NFL depends on fans buying their product. The majority of their fans value dogs > chickens. they obviously don't want to alienate their market. I don't see a problem with this. As far as his actual criminal sentence, I didn't ever say he should go to jail for it. I just don't think the nfl owners should be forced to hire someone that they have deemed bad for their business.

__27__
08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Of course not, some still do.

I never disagreed with this. In fact when it happened I pretty much said the same thing. I wasn't aware that we were discussing his criminal sentence. the topic is him getting hired by the nfl after his prison sentence. The NFL depends on fans and the owners obviously have decided that he does not help them market their product.

Communication breakdown.

I see now. If you want to talk sports economics, however, fans don't give two shits what their guys did. Winning fills stadiums, that is the ONLY equation in sports. When the Cav's sucked, they pulled less than 2,000 fans a game. Now that they WIN, they pull sellouts every night. There is NO substitute for winning teams in sports, and if Michael Vick can help your team win (which he can for a good 50% of the NFL at least) it is a no brainer. He stands at a mic, does some PR, goes to volunteer at an animal shelter, team wins superbowl and fans cry like school children at the sight of Vick hoisting the Lombardi.

Brian4Liberty
08-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Jesse Jackson needs to go in a corner and shut the hell up.
Do I think M. Vick's sentence was BS? Yes!
Do teams have a right to hire whoever the hell they want? yes.
Do I think M. Vick should be picked up by a team? Of course,
but does M. Vick have a right to an NFL job, hell any job for that matter? NO.

Good summary.

Brian4Liberty
08-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Where's Al Davis? He ain't joining any NFL conspiracy!

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
//

__27__
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
That is certainly a debatable point. Of course shouldn't this be up to the owner to decide? You may be correct, hiring vick might make them more money. But maybe it wouldn't? Picture angry hordes of protestors. Parents symbolically burning the team jersey in protest. Hell if I know, I'm not in the NFL business. But in the end it is up to the owners to decide what is right for their business, no? And as of now, they have decided he is a liability. Maybe next season it won't be as big of deal....

Yes of course, but being a passionate fan of both the sport of Hockey and the field of economics in general, I have spent a good time researching sports economics. The simple answer is that there is absolutely nothing in the world of sports that matters other than winning. Take players like Terrell Owens for example. I'm not equating TO's emotional childhood to what Vick did, just using him as an example to illustrate the point. We have seen time and time again in TO's career, how he absolutely destroys a team and their fans. Yet time and time again he is given a contract by a new team. At first the fans are livid, they want nothing to do with TO. Some even do protest. But as the yards and wins pile up, the angst disappears, and all that can be seen is happy faces, thrilled at the victories their team is piling up. In TO's case we even get to see the opposite side, as the turmoil he brings rises, and the wins and yards start to disappear, the fans again turn on him, and demand that he be moved. It isn't really TO or his attitude they are mad at, simply the fact that they are not getting the wins he once brought them.

No, in sports there is NO substitute for wins. So yes, I agree, owners should make their own choices on who they hire, but I have to ask myself why any owner would not hire him knowing he could bring more wins to his team. In the end that is the only thing that matters, if he brings wins all else will be excused. So why then are they not hiring him? I can't know, but I'd dare to wager that it simply has to be something more than the controversy, because if that was all it were an owner desperate for wins would surely risk the controversy for the potential wins, just like an investor risks the loss of his money on a new product for the potential huge payoff.

PatriotOne
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
It's the free market speaking. There would be serious blow back for a team that hires an animal abuser. Too many people love their animals and wouldn't support a team who hired someone like Vick. It would be similar to hiring OJ Simpson ;-)

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
So why then are they not hiring him? I can't know, but I'd dare to wager that it simply has to be something more than the controversy, because if that was all it were an owner desperate for wins would surely risk the controversy for the potential wins, just like an investor risks the loss of his money on a new product for the potential huge payoff.

Let's say that it is the owner's own moral values preventing them from hiring him. I have no problem with the owner's not hiring him based on their own moral code. I may disagree but at the same time I support them actually bringing "morals" into their business decision. Next step of course would be for the owners to do the same thing with players guilty of other crimes as mentioned in this thread. The fact that they haven't yet done the same to players guilty of other crimes, indicates to me that publicity has a LOT to do with it.

Krugerrand
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes of course, but being a passionate fan of both the sport of Hockey and the field of economics in general, I have spent a good time researching sports economics. The simple answer is that there is absolutely nothing in the world of sports that matters other than winning. Take players like Terrell Owens for example. I'm not equating TO's emotional childhood to what Vick did, just using him as an example to illustrate the point. We have seen time and time again in TO's career, how he absolutely destroys a team and their fans. Yet time and time again he is given a contract by a new team. At first the fans are livid, they want nothing to do with TO. Some even do protest. But as the yards and wins pile up, the angst disappears, and all that can be seen is happy faces, thrilled at the victories their team is piling up. In TO's case we even get to see the opposite side, as the turmoil he brings rises, and the wins and yards start to disappear, the fans again turn on him, and demand that he be moved. It isn't really TO or his attitude they are mad at, simply the fact that they are not getting the wins he once brought them.

No, in sports there is NO substitute for wins. So yes, I agree, owners should make their own choices on who they hire, but I have to ask myself why any owner would not hire him knowing he could bring more wins to his team. In the end that is the only thing that matters, if he brings wins all else will be excused. So why then are they not hiring him? I can't know, but I'd dare to wager that it simply has to be something more than the controversy, because if that was all it were an owner desperate for wins would surely risk the controversy for the potential wins, just like an investor risks the loss of his money on a new product for the potential huge payoff.

My guess is that he'd've signed already but his agent is holding out for more money. Owners realize Vick's in a bind and they're going to take advantage of that bind to get a contract that favors them. Eventually, terms will be reached and he'll sign.

__27__
08-12-2009, 11:00 AM
My guess is that he'd've signed already but his agent is holding out for more money. Owners realize Vick's in a bind and they're going to take advantage of that bind to get a contract that favors them. Eventually, terms will be reached and he'll sign.

This makes sense to me. I think Vick needs to bring everything to the table, if that means signing a league minimum deal for a year, he should do it. If he doesn't, in that case there'd be no one to blame but himself.

Krugerrand
08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
This makes sense to me. I think Vick needs to bring everything to the table, if that means signing a league minimum deal for a year, he should do it. If he doesn't, in that case there'd be no one to blame but himself.

I see him signing with a team as a backup where he stands a good chance of getting playing time. I doubt a team will want to sign a starting QB that will be out the first 5 or 6 games. His best bet is to sign for a league min contract that is healthy on incentives.

I still think he should ask the players union to refund is dues. They haven't done a thing to earn their money.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
08-12-2009, 11:18 AM

If they are NOT property, you have NO RIGHT to keep them as a slave in your house for your own personal companionship. If they are NOT property, a farmer has NO RIGHT to keep them as livestock to be used for their milk/meat/fur/skin/etc.

They are either property or they aren't.

What does any of this have to do with this? This isnt a question of how we think things "should be" in regards to the role dogs have in America. Its an issue of the way things currently are. At the moment if you are a dog killer, the wrath of the American public will come down on you. It doesnt matter who you are.

__27__
08-12-2009, 11:22 AM
What does any of this have to do with this? This isnt a question of how we think things "should be" in regards to the role dogs have in America. Its an issue of the way things currently are. At the moment if you are a dog killer, the wrath of the American public will come down on you. It doesnt matter who you are.

:rolleyes:

Got it, don't discuss how things should be on RPF. Discussion must be limited to how things currently are, and nothing else.

Isn't government wonderful? I am so gracious our beloved leader is willing to use his power to give me free health care. I can't believe all of those ignorant right wing extremists who would oppose free health care. I suppose for backwards racists the only thing that matters is denigrating our first black president, even if he is actively trying to give you something for FREE!!!

Mitt Romneys sideburns
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Got it, don't discuss how things should be on RPF. Discussion must be limited to how things currently are, and nothing else.

Isn't government wonderful? I am so gracious our beloved leader is willing to use his power to give me free health care. I can't believe all of those ignorant right wing extremists who would oppose free health care. I suppose for backwards racists the only thing that matters is denigrating our first black president, even if he is actively trying to give you something for FREE!!!

ughh. . .

You questioned why nobody would hire Michael Vick. Im telling you. The American public does not tolerate animal abuse of this kind.

Kords21
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
If Jackson cares so much about Vick's welfare then why doesn't he hire him in some capacity, put his money where his mouth is.

__27__
08-12-2009, 11:31 AM
ughh. . .

You questioned why nobody would hire Michael Vick. Im telling you. The American public does not tolerate animal abuse of this kind.

ughhh. . .

You told me, and I told you none of it matters if he makes a team win. There is nothing in sports that substitutes for wins. If a player makes a team win, the fans don't give a fuck what he did.

Take a look at Craig MacTavish of the Edmonton Oilers. Killed a young girl while driving drunk when he was with the Rangers. He brought wins to Edmonton and the fans could care less what he did.

If Vick gets a job and wins, not one fan of that team will care at all.

Krugerrand
08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
If Jackson cares so much about Vick's welfare then why doesn't he hire him in some capacity, put his money where his mouth is.

You are SO silly! Democrats "care" with other people's money.

specsaregood
08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Take a look at Craig MacTavish of the Edmonton Oilers. Killed a young girl while driving drunk when he was with the Rangers. He brought wins to Edmonton and the fans could care less what he did.

It's not really comparable. Most people could look past the drunk driving "accident" because they themselves drive home drunk from the hockey games or every weekend.

The animal abuse thing can't be dismissed as a mistake, accident, or oversight. It is evidence of a complete lack of "morals" or just plain viciousness, as far as most americans are concerned.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
ughhh. . .

You told me, and I told you none of it matters if he makes a team win. There is nothing in sports that substitutes for wins. If a player makes a team win, the fans don't give a fuck what he did.

If Vick gets a job and wins, not one fan of that team will care at all.

And I suppose Pete Rose was also victimized for being Pete Rose? Nope, had nothing to do with betting on baseball games.

Face it. There are certain acts that will make it so no team will touch you.

misterx
08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Professional athletes are role models to children. No responsible team owner should hire him. MRS is right though. They don't care about being responsible, they just know it will cost them money. The guy is overrated anyways, so he's not worth the risk.

__27__
08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4398956

That didn't take long.

Soca Taliban
08-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Professional athletes are role models to children. No responsible team owner should hire him. MRS is right though. They don't care about being responsible, they just know it will cost them money. The guy is overrated anyways, so he's not worth the risk.I'm so sick and tired of this BS. How bout parents take responsibilities for their own kids and be their role models and let the athletes do what they're paid to do....their job. Last time I checked, being a role model wasn't written in their contracts.

sedele
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

Mike vick is now an eagle!

Bring on the hate bitches!!!

__27__
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

Mike vick is now an eagle!

Bring on the hate bitches!!!

The only part I don't get is what is he going to do for Philly? Don is capable, and even lobbied on Vick's behalf to get him there, so it's obvious he's not going to be taking the QB job. Philly is in no need of RB help. And all of his coaches have said he can't run WR routes (not to mention he's too damn small). So I just don't see what he brings to the team.

But yes, in the end Vick will start somewhere, and will win.

BlackTerrel
08-14-2009, 06:10 PM
The only part I don't get is what is he going to do for Philly? Don is capable, and even lobbied on Vick's behalf to get him there, so it's obvious he's not going to be taking the QB job. Philly is in no need of RB help. And all of his coaches have said he can't run WR routes (not to mention he's too damn small). So I just don't see what he brings to the team.

But yes, in the end Vick will start somewhere, and will win.

They'll bring him in on third down, use him in the wildcat etc... there's a lot of things you can do with him.

specsaregood
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Last time I checked, being a role model wasn't written in their contracts.

On the contrary I would be quite surprised if there were not clauses in their contracts in regards to public behavior and team image which could be considered a "role model" clauses.