PDA

View Full Version : Don't You Wish This Guy Could Be Our President...

clb09
08-12-2009, 01:10 AM
A true Patriot who isn't even American, unfortunately. (http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2009/08/06/HP/A/21883/Daniel+Hannan+European+Parliament+Member+for+South +East+England+Conservative+Party.aspx)

Flash
08-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I knew who you were talking about before even clicking the link. He is pretty cool, I'm not so sure how the British system works-- but I believe it's pretty difficult to become prime minister there. As you need to be picked from the etlites of your party to be nominated. Not 100% sure but this is what I heard.

StudentForPaul08
08-12-2009, 02:37 AM
That was amazing. He is so awesome.

hugolp
08-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Daniel Hannan is great.

t0rnado
08-12-2009, 02:44 AM
There are a dozen or so MPs just like him. Nigel Farage is another libertarian in the EU Parliament.

Kotin
08-12-2009, 02:46 AM
so how is it that they have multiple liberty minded individuals in BRITAIN??!!

yet we have like 1??

coyote_sprit
08-12-2009, 02:53 AM
so how is it that they have multiple liberty minded individuals in BRITAIN??!!

yet we have like 1??

We need 30,000...

BenIsForRon
08-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Dayum!!!!

BenIsForRon
08-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Holy shit!!!! He advocating DEMOCRACY@@!!>!>!>! He suggested they have a referendum to decide whether or not to join the EU!!!! I guess Ron Paul Forums will have to disown him now... right!!?!

emazur
08-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Hannan is composed and very well spoken and has all the right answers. If this image started spreading in Britain maybe we could put to rest the supposed "racism" of the Obama joker:
http://www.anenglishmanscastle.com/Gordon%20Brown%20Joker.jpg

Objectivist
08-12-2009, 03:38 AM
No, I don't wish he was our POTUS.... that would be against our Constitution.
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the person.

BenIsForRon
08-12-2009, 03:39 AM
Damn!!!! He's dropping the D-bomb like crazy! I guess this is the end of Hannan!

EDIT: Seriously though, he's talking a lot about democracy. Maybe some of you should really listen to what he's saying here and maybe give a little credit where it is due, democracy in government does serve a purpose. (Of course, it's all about balance, I'm not making a case for total democracy, I like our current system for the most part.)

BenIsForRon
08-12-2009, 03:54 AM
Ok big points he is making in this interview that support WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING on this forum. He said that we need to REACH OUT to supporters of universal health care, because they are basically responding incorrectly to a real problem.

Another cool point, during times of rapidly rising prosperity (i.e. a housing bubble), government programs like health care can be effective, because of the large resource base. Under times of stress though, they rapidly lose viability and start to collapse.

GOOD SHIT!

UnReconstructed
08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
don't need a president, thanks

hugolp
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Damn!!!! He's dropping the D-bomb like crazy! I guess this is the end of Hannan!

EDIT: Seriously though, he's talking a lot about democracy. Maybe some of you should really listen to what he's saying here and maybe give a little credit where it is due, democracy in government does serve a purpose. (Of course, it's all about balance, I'm not making a case for total democracy, I like our current system for the most part.)

But that is because in Europe the perception about the word democracy is different. We dont have that separation about Republic <-> Democracy, its more like Democracy with rule of law <-> Pure Democracy. Democracy here is more generic.

Thus, in Europe, saying you are against Democracy means you are against freedom and for fascism. Its different than in the US.

emazur
08-12-2009, 12:54 PM
But that is because in Europe the perception about the word democracy is different. We dont have that separation about Republic <-> Democracy, its more like Democracy with rule of law <-> Pure Democracy. Democracy here is more generic.

Thus, in Europe, saying you are against Democracy means you are against freedom and for fascism. Its different than in the US.

I'd say it's the same in the US for the vast majority of the people. Not many understand the difference between a republic and a democracy, so to them opposing democracy = opposing freedom

clb09
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
No, I don't wish he was our POTUS.... that would be against our Constitution.

Where does it say in the Constitution that citizens may not wish for a foreigner to be president?

Sandman33
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
He can be Ron Pauls secretary of state.

Kraig
08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I like our current system for the most part.)

:eek:

You can't be serious.

clb09
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
He can be Ron Pauls secretary of state.

Dr. Paul wants to abolish the Department of State...its just another huge, federal bureaucracy.

BenIsForRon
08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
:eek:

You can't be serious.

As in I like the constitution. I also like how every man and woman over 18 gets one vote for seats such as president, house and senate. Some people here freak out everytime someone mentions the word democracy, but I think Hannan bringing up referendums shows that democracy does have the purpose of being a check on the representatives. Throughout Europe, a majority of people do not want to be in the EU, yet a majority of the political elites do. A little sprinkling of direct democracy can solve this issue.

hugolp
08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
As in I like the constitution. I also like how every man and woman over 18 gets one vote for seats such as president, house and senate. Some people here freak out everytime someone mentions the word democracy, but I think Hannan bringing up referendums shows that democracy does have the purpose of being a check on the representatives. Throughout Europe, a majority of people do not want to be in the EU, yet a majority of the political elites do. A little sprinkling of direct democracy can solve this issue.

You are wrong. Democracy is not the only system that uses voting. You can vote for your president and not be in a Democracy. Democracy is when the majority can rule to break the rights of the minority, when the majority can break the rule of law. You can vote in a Republic, as long as you dont break the rule of law. You can vote to elect your president or your representatives, but you can not vote to say that curly hair people should be consider inferior (f.e.).

Flash
08-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Hannan will be on Hannity tonight, I saw it advertised.

BenIsForRon
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
You are wrong. Democracy is not the only system that uses voting. You can vote for your president and not be in a Democracy. Democracy is when the majority can rule to break the rights of the minority, when the majority can break the rule of law. You can vote in a Republic, as long as you dont break the rule of law. You can vote to elect your president or your representatives, but you can not vote to say that curly hair people should be consider inferior (f.e.).

Ok, but as you stated earlier, Hannan was referring to it in a different way. Democracy can have many meanings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

I think of it in much the same way Hannan does. When you have open exchange of ideas, that's democracy. When the people are allowed to speak at town halls, that's democracy. Choosing to shop at Mom and Pop stores instead of Walmart, that's democracy. In my opinion.

I just brought it up to begin with because so many people on here cringe at the word democracy, when, as you said, many people do not use it to mean "Majority rule, fuck the minority"

anaconda
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I suppose he could serve in the cabinet in the U.S. Don't think there's any citizenship requirements. Sounds like he would be a fine Secretary of Treasury or something. Would be classic. He should work two jobs. Parliment and U.S. Secretary of Treasury, to signify trans-national solidarity on liberty platforms. He would become a sensation in both countries.

Sandman33
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Dr. Paul wants to abolish the Department of State...its just another huge, federal bureaucracy.

Then he can be the wtf ever is left after ron guts it. :D

thasre
08-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I suppose he could serve in the cabinet in the U.S. Don't think there's any citizenship requirements. Sounds like he would be a fine Secretary of Treasury or something. Would be classic. He should work two jobs. Parliment and U.S. Secretary of Treasury, to signify trans-national solidarity on liberty platforms. He would become a sensation in both countries.

Interesting... there doesn't seem to be any citizenship requirement for Cabinet members, does there? I could look forward to a Secretary Hannan.

Also, since our nation pretty much ignores all the REST of the Constitution, I'd be willing to let them ignore the Presidential citizenship requirement if I could be guaranteed Hannan would become President. I mean, every branch of the federal govt has already wiped their collective asses with the document about 16,000 times, why not let them do it with some actually POSITIVE benefits?

JK. But seriously.