PDA

View Full Version : Who is funding and giving weapons to the Taliban?

Sandman33
08-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Ok so we gave them and the Afhani's weapons to fight the Russians for us during the cold war.

Now we're over there fighting them......

So who's funding and arming them now?

Is it STILL us somehow? :confused:

Reason
08-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Ok so we gave them and the Afhani's weapons to fight the Russians for us during the cold war.

Now we're over there fighting them......

So who's funding and arming them now?

Is it STILL us somehow? :confused:
YouTube - Pakistan's Gun Market (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xf62PKC5M)

Sandman33
08-12-2009, 02:56 AM
YouTube - Pakistan's Gun Market (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xf62PKC5M)

So we obviously know where they guns are made...I mean if it's on YOUTUBE the damn U.S. ARMY should have known this a long time ago.

Whats stopping us from just taking out that city? :confused:

hugolp
08-12-2009, 03:06 AM
So we obviously know where they guns are made...I mean if it's on YOUTUBE the damn U.S. ARMY should have known this a long time ago.

Whats stopping us from just taking out that city? :confused:

Weapons corporation benefits?

Sandman33
08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Weapons corporation benefits?

Thats my REAL question.

We HAVE to know where our enemy is getting it's weapons AND it's food.

I mean HOW can our military be THIS inept? A fucking decade to win a war where our enemies are making guns out of recyled bullshit.

Where's the gunpowder coming from? How bout the larger weapons. It can't just be AK's and pistols vs our tanks.

WTF.

Any vets up in here that can tell me?

Kotin
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
they get it from us.. as I am sure your aware.

OrganDonor
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Thats my REAL question.

A fucking decade to win a war where our enemies are making guns out of recyled bullshit.

The plan is not to win the war.

History hasnt changed at all. Just like the Vietnam and Korean war. The plan is not to win the war but to keep the war going. Noone at all cares if we win the war. Corporations need to get paid.

apropos
08-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Afghanistan is not a 'War is Peace' situation.

The war is not tanks vs. AK-47s. It is a war of attrition that involves sniping Americans when they come out of the cities/strongholds into the countryside and laying out easy-to-make roadside bombs when vehicles are on patrol. If the army can only control the cities, it's a Vietnam situation and a prolonged slope toward defeat. Therefore, patrols must be made and efforts to expand control over the countryside must be undertaken.

The military would love for the Taliban to fight a conventional war because then they could roll through them like Gulf War I. But the memory of guerrilla warfare against Russia is too fresh in the minds of that country for the locals to ignore the success and wisdom of asymmetrical warfare.

The reason we have not publicly marched into Pakistan (although we are crossing the border and doing targeted bombing some of the time) is because Pakistan is a nuclear power and because Pakistan is officially an ally. The reality is muddier of course - but the nuclear weapons and the the already tenuous hold Pakistan's "friendly" government has on its country are deterrents to any large scale attack.

We can't secure the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan because of the geography, so every spring the fighters return from Pakistan.

Sandman33
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Afghanistan is not a 'War is Peace' situation.

The war is not tanks vs. AK-47s. It is a war of attrition that involves sniping Americans when they come out of the cities/strongholds into the countryside and laying out easy-to-make roadside bombs when vehicles are on patrol. If the army can only control the cities, it's a Vietnam situation and a prolonged slope toward defeat. Therefore, patrols must be made and efforts to expand control over the countryside must be undertaken.

The military would love for the Taliban to fight a conventional war because then they could roll through them like Gulf War I. But the memory of guerrilla warfare against Russia is too fresh in the minds of that country for the locals to ignore the success and wisdom of asymmetrical warfare.

The reason we have not publicly marched into Pakistan (although we are crossing the border and doing targeted bombing some of the time) is because Pakistan is a nuclear power and because Pakistan is officially an ally. The reality is muddier of course - but the nuclear weapons and the the already tenuous hold Pakistan's "friendly" government has on its country are deterrents to any large scale attack.

We can't secure the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan because of the geography, so every spring the fighters return from Pakistan.

He's right about corporations have to get paid.

But I'm still thinking that SOMEONE has to be funding these people. If they get their weapons from us somehow, I want to know the link.

I know they use guerilla warfare and hide in the mountains but really...we can see in the dark and use heat viewing technology from the air. This war should have really been OVER a long time ago.

Imperial
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
A pretty good chunk of the ISI, Pakistani intelligence agency, helps the Taliban I know. Not sure how much physical help they give though or if it is purely strategic.

gls
08-12-2009, 07:08 PM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_02/poppiesMS2107_468x313.jpg

Illegal drugs (poppy seeds used to make heroin) fund the Taliban resistance. Afghanistan is the world's #1 supplier.

pcosmar
08-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Well gee.
I wonder if any of these made it there?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12544902
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2006-10-29-missing-weapons_x.htm