PDA

View Full Version : WY - Cops Taser 76 yo man, driving antique tractor in parade for not turning properly

Anti Federalist
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Residents vent frustrations over Glenrock tasing

http://www.trib.com/articles/2009/08/11/homepage_lead/doc4a816fb93e5ef853922200.txt

By JOSHUA WOLFSON
Star-Tribune staff writer
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:18 AM MDT

Glenrock residents packed their town hall Monday to voice outrage over the tasing of a 76-year-old man by police officers at a parade.

The man's family called for the officers' firing, and Police Chief Tom Sweet told the crowd "we probably didn't do things the best way we could have."

The Aug. 1 incident remains under investigation, but most of the people who addressed town leaders at a council meeting suggested the officers used excessive force when they tased Bud Grose at Glenrock's annual Deer Creek Days event.

"They both, in my opinion, acted like doped up thugs," Grose's daughter-in-law, Pat Grose, said.

Glenrock Mayor Steve Cielinski and most of the town council apologized to residents and asked for patience, as agents with the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation examine whether any crimes were committed during the encounter.

Cielinski promised the results of the investigation would be made public.

"If we have to stand up and take it on the chin, we will," he said.

The exact circumstances that led to the tasing have not been disclosed by authorities. Glenrock police told state agents Bud Grose failed to obey directions while he was operating an antique tractor at the parade.

Grose had not discussed the encounter publicly, but several people who witnessed the event told the crowd police repeatedly shocked him with a taser.

"Those two were the most out-of-control officers I've ever seen in my life," said Scott McWilliams, a witness who said he was shoved by one of the officers. "These two guys got to go."

Mike Pyatt, a former Glenrock police officer, called one of the officers a "hot head" and said the other had poor people skills. He called on town leaders to make changes at the department.

"We will hold you accountable," he said.

Residents are also angry the officers are being paid while on leave pending the investigation.

"I think it is an insult to the Grose family and the community that these offices have been put on paid leave," Pat Grose said to enthusiastic applause.

Sweet, said he won't act before receiving the DCI report, which should happen by the beginning of next week.

"I don't want to take a knee jerk reaction now," he said.

However, he added he has already begun to review the department's policies in light of the incident

"I'll be the first to admit, we probably didn't do things the best way we could have," he said. "But the only way to fix that is by working together."

Reach crime reporter Joshua Wolfson at (307) 266-0582 or at josh.wolfson@trib.com. Read his blog at tribtown.trib.com/JoshuaWolfson/blog.

gls
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Let me make a prediction: the "investigation" will find the police acted appropriately.

Liberty Rebellion
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll make another prediction: Members on this forum will say that the old man on the antique tractor was a threat to the officers and thus deserved to be repeatedly tased. ;)

Dr.3D
08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I'll make another prediction: Members on this forum will say that the old man on the antique tractor was a threat to the officers and thus deserved to be repeatedly tased. ;)
Only those who are here to be controversial will do that.

Liberty Rebellion
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Think it's about time we take the Tazers away.

Dr.3D
08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Think it's about time we take the Tazers away.
Or let everybody have one.

james1906
08-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Let me make a prediction: the "investigation" will find the police acted appropriately.

They'll say the officer merely "used poor judgment," but the old tractor guy was causing "disorderly conduct." The pig will get a minor suspension, the only unknown is if it will be paid or unpaid.

Another wild card. The officers believed the tractor was stolen because the man's identity did not match the name on the tractor, John Deere.

Uriel999
08-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Or let everybody have one.

I prefer a gun.

Dr.3D
08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I prefer a gun.
I can legally carry a gun, but in the state I live in, it is illegal to carry a Taser. Go figure, I guess they would rather I use the gun.

ghengis86
08-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Residents vent frustrations over Glenrock tasing

http://www.trib.com/articles/2009/08/11/homepage_lead/doc4a816fb93e5ef853922200.txt

By JOSHUA WOLFSON
Star-Tribune staff writer
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:18 AM MDT

Glenrock residents packed their town hall Monday to voice outrage over the tasing of a 76-year-old man by police officers at a parade.

The man's family called for the officers' firing, and Police Chief Tom Sweet told the crowd "we probably didn't do things the best way we could have."

The Aug. 1 incident remains under investigation, but most of the people who addressed town leaders at a council meeting suggested the officers used excessive force when they tased Bud Grose at Glenrock's annual Deer Creek Days event.

"They both, in my opinion, acted like doped up thugs," Grose's daughter-in-law, Pat Grose, said.

Glenrock Mayor Steve Cielinski and most of the town council apologized to residents and asked for patience, as agents with the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation examine whether any crimes were committed during the encounter.

Cielinski promised the results of the investigation would be made public.

"If we have to stand up and take it on the chin, we will," he said.

The exact circumstances that led to the tasing have not been disclosed by authorities. Glenrock police told state agents Bud Grose failed to obey directions while he was operating an antique tractor at the parade.

Grose had not discussed the encounter publicly, but several people who witnessed the event told the crowd police repeatedly shocked him with a taser.

"Those two were the most out-of-control officers I've ever seen in my life," said Scott McWilliams, a witness who said he was shoved by one of the officers. "These two guys got to go."

Mike Pyatt, a former Glenrock police officer, called one of the officers a "hot head" and said the other had poor people skills. He called on town leaders to make changes at the department.

"We will hold you accountable," he said.

Residents are also angry the officers are being paid while on leave pending the investigation.

"I think it is an insult to the Grose family and the community that these offices have been put on paid leave," Pat Grose said to enthusiastic applause.
Sweet, said he won't act before receiving the DCI report, which should happen by the beginning of next week.

"I don't want to take a knee jerk reaction now," he said.

However, he added he has already begun to review the department's policies in light of the incident

"I'll be the first to admit, we probably didn't do things the best way we could have," he said. "But the only way to fix that is by working together."

Reach crime reporter Joshua Wolfson at (307) 266-0582 or at josh.wolfson@trib.com. Read his blog at tribtown.trib.com/JoshuaWolfson/blog.

some encouraging public reaction; even the comments are 10-1 against the cops (though it should be 11-0). although wyoming does bave a libertarian streak.

youngbuck
08-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Hopefully justice is done and those cops get canned. I'm glad there's the public outcry, and it sounds like the police chief is taking the situation seriously, but doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Hopefully there are no lingering injuries from the taze.

devil21
08-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Hopefully justice is done and those cops get canned. I'm glad there's the public outcry, and it sounds like the police chief is taking the situation seriously, but doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Hopefully there are no lingering injuries from the taze.

Canned?

Any cop found to have used excessive force has actually criminally assaulted a citizen and should be dealt with accordingly. Criminal charges, hopefully a felony if a weapon was used. THAT is the only way to start reigning this type of crap in. If I attacked you with a tazer then you can be sure that I would be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, a felony.

phill4paul
08-12-2009, 03:54 AM
The officers believed the tractor was stolen because the man's identity did not match the name on the tractor, John Deere.

LOL, thanks for that.:D

acptulsa
08-12-2009, 06:12 AM
I can legally carry a gun, but in the state I live in, it is illegal to carry a Taser. Go figure, I guess they would rather I use the gun.

Of course. They actually admit guns are deadly, so they trust you to treat it with respect. They've worked so hard trying to convince you a taser is as safe as a glucose tester, however, they know if they let you have one you'll kill somebody.

catdd
08-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I bet these guys are removed. Cops can get away with this stuff in cities but the smaller towns are a different matter.

brandon
08-12-2009, 07:47 AM
It was for his own good

JamesButabi
08-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Any video footage of the incident? You would think someone had a camera rolling at a parade.

BillyDkid
08-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Christ almighty, does it ever end!!! I'm sorry, but fuckin' cops!!! Fuck the "thin blue line". All the cops do around here is harass drivers who make the mistake of not following state dictums to the letter. I've paid the state $100.00 for the crime of not wearing my seatbelt. You know what I wish for - an invisible seat belt that I could wear and that looks like I'm not wearing one so that the cops could stop me over and over and waste their precious donut eating time.

Freedom 4 all
08-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Hopefully justice is done and those cops get canned.

If by "canned" you mean raped in a federal prison then I agree with you.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
///

BillyDkid
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
///I see this back slash thing on occasion, but do not know what it means. Please enlighten me. thx

Anti Federalist
08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I see this back slash thing on occasion, but do not know what it means. Please enlighten me. thx

Just another way of saying "bump".;)

BillyDkid
08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Just another way of saying "bump".;)Thanks and ///