PDA

View Full Version : Union Thugs Beat Up Innocent Civilian -- Or Did They?

Reason
08-11-2009, 01:17 AM
YouTube - Union Thugs Beat Up Innocent Civilian -- Or Did They? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0eFXa1nX4)

coyote_sprit
08-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Someone give me a summary because I'm not watching jack shit from those liberal smugs.

literatim
08-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Someone give me a summary because I'm not watching jack shit from those liberal smugs.

They give commentary on what they think happened from the video clip.

BenIsForRon
08-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Good stuff, "conservative" media is blowing this incident way out of proportion. Both sides are rednecks looking for a brawl, like a few people on this forum.

coyote_sprit
08-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Good stuff, "conservative" media is blowing this incident way out of proportion. Both sides are rednecks looking for a brawl, like a few people on this forum.

Maybe so but they have no grounds for insulting the dude who got beat, they said them selves they couldn't see much in the video and yet the practically call the guy a liar.

BenIsForRon
08-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Dude's allowing himself to be used in this media campaign, don't have much sympathy for him myself.

Bman
08-11-2009, 02:45 AM

KInd of like Liberals have been blowing Town Hall protests out of proportion. TYT's full of a bunch of morons.

BenIsForRon
08-11-2009, 04:12 AM
KInd of like Liberals have been blowing Town Hall protests out of proportion. TYT's full of a bunch of morons.

Haha, everytime I challenge conventional wisdom on this forum, people think I must be from the Huffington Post or something.

Danke
08-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Haha, everytime I challenge conventional wisdom on this forum,

Yeah Benis, you really challenge us. :rolleyes:

BenIsForRon
08-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Whatever dude, I felt like the lone voice in the wilderness after this thing happened. Everybody was ready to bust some union heads. I came in and said "Hey, maybe screaming at other people isn't the best way to make friends". People gave me tons of shit, including saying I must be from Kos and so on.

Dunno bout you guys but I don't wanna see this become an echo chamber.

Sandra
08-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Whatever dude, I felt like the lone voice in the wilderness after this thing happened. Everybody was ready to bust some union heads. I came in and said "Hey, maybe screaming at other people isn't the best way to make friends". People gave me tons of shit, including saying I must be from Kos and so on.

You're not alone. Remember the noobs that told me I didn't belong on this forum when I took this position? Where did they come from? Where did they go? There are still about 4 long time members that outright attacked anyone that said this would blowback. It was common sense.

coyote_sprit
08-11-2009, 05:08 AM

GTFO and go back to the Daily Kos...:D

Bradley in DC
08-11-2009, 05:16 AM
You're not alone. Remember the noobs that told me I didn't belong on this forum when I took this position? Where did they come from? Where did they go? There are still about 4 long time members that outright attacked anyone that said this would blowback. It was common sense.

+1

BenIsForRon
08-11-2009, 05:24 AM

Yeah, kinda weird, you were being nicer than I was too. People just get excited. They smelled blood in the water and fucking flipped out.

But I think the important thing to understand is that there are a LOT of people that still look at this forum for their news and so on, many are lurkers. We don't want these people going to their local town halls ready for fight. This stuff really does have a domino effect.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Yes because we should continue to lay down and take it. Hey if they won't answer a few simple questions than no big deal, I mean after all we should feel blessed that they even came out of their ivory tower to speak to us plebians.

This is America folks. There is no room for hardline questioning or dissent and if you go in there full of anger than we will only make them not want to talk to us again and oh what a loss that would be because they have such a impeccable record of being honest with us now. Do you want to lose that?

Yeah, kinda weird, you were being nicer than I was too. People just get excited. They smelled blood in the water and fucking flipped out.

But I think the important thing to understand is that there are a LOT of people that still look at this forum for their news and so on, many are lurkers. We don't want these people going to their local town halls ready for fight. This stuff really does have a domino effect.

kahless
08-11-2009, 07:22 AM

So we have a liberal video saying the opposite and we are all supposed to fall in line and believe it. This thread is allot like how MSNBC portrays our movement which is totally the opposite of reality.

We also know that we have long time posters here that have a political beliefs not even close to Ron Pauls except for foreign policy. So it is no surprise we have obamabots parroting DNC rhetoric here.

Deborah K
08-11-2009, 07:32 AM
There was so much spin in that clip that I need dramamine now.

Cowlesy
08-11-2009, 07:35 AM
I wish members wouldn't posture as internet-tough-guys. Pretty easy to raise your metaphorical pitch-fork behind a computer screen.

I won't click on the link but if it is in reference to the SEIU guys who beat-up the guy selling don't-tread-on-me stickers/buttons, you see a neutral SEIU guy scream at the two SEIU guys "YOU ATTACKED HIM! YOU ATTACKED HIM!" and the SEIU guy with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth yelled back at that guy "HE ATTACKED AMERICA, SO WE ATTACKED HIM".

The guy was assaulted and I think it was a pretty sad state of affairs all around. Once the talking stops we aren't left with many options, and that concerns me.

acptulsa
08-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Does it seem to anyone else that they've decided that they can't win the debate, so they want to incite violence? This would give them a chance to use their big megaphone and people's desire to see order restored to shove through just about anything, while if they keep playing our game we'll eventually get them thrown out...

Deborah K
08-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Does it seem to anyone else that they've decided that they can't win the debate, so they want to incite violence? This would give them a chance to use their big megaphone and people's desire to see order restored to shove through just about anything, while if they keep playing our game we'll eventually get them thrown out...

This is why it can't escalate. Shouting down a liar is one thing. Beating someone up is another.

Someone suggested that when they try to incite violence - like getting in your face, or pushing you, etc. - that all the protestors just sit down - leaving the instigators standing in full view.

TinCanToNA
08-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Well you have an SEIU member beating up an unemployed black man trying to sell trinkets to make a living, so the title, "Union Thugs Beat Up Innocent Civilian" is not entirely inaccurate. However, trying to use this microcosm as an example of union policy or the views of all union members is an absurdity, just like using any isolated incident as sole evidence of policy is an absurdity.

Careful definitions must be used, as well as a careful study of what exactly occurred and the actors involved. That being said, TYT is almost never truthful, and their contribution to the marketplace of ideas is almost nil.

kahless
08-11-2009, 08:33 AM
These isolated incidents of violence, the shouting and the talking really will not matter in a few months anyway. Ultimately the bill will be passed as it is now albeit a little later than the white house wanted.

Reason
08-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Dude's allowing himself to be used in this media campaign, don't have much sympathy for him myself.

Agreed.

=TYT's full of a bunch of morons.

Cenk is very left wing a lot of the time but I happen to agree with him on this specific incident. It's pretty obvious that it's being blown out of proportion.

Haha, everytime I challenge conventional wisdom on this forum, people think I must be from the Huffington Post or something.

Yeah, don't get discouraged, being calm & logical in everything you do tends to have a direct, inversely proportional effect to popularity.

Dunno bout you guys but I don't wanna see this become an echo chamber.[/quote]

The echo chamber on this forum is pretty strong sometimes but it's best to just ignore it via ignoring responses that consist of no more than a single sentence.

kahless
08-11-2009, 10:30 AM
The video proves nothing since the camera man did not capture all of it and what was captured is blocked-blurry. As far as him standing around afterwards, I have been in and seen people in fights and accidents. Sure you may walk around afterwards in pain. But next day or even an hour you find you are really messed up. Any damage to the spine can imobilize a limb and this can happen easily in a fight, a kick or fall.

Bottom line is the sent SEIU thugs were there to harass, intimidate and ultimately beat liberty protesters. You pretend Conservative - Libertarians can spin it for your Daily Kos, Huffington Post and DNC pals all you like, but those are the facts.