PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Baldwin for U.S. Senate Special Appointment (FL)

Njon
08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
As I'm sure most of you know by now, Senator Mel Martinez has announced that he will be retiring from his U.S. Senate seat before his term ends in 2011. This places Governor Crist in an interesting situation, seeing as he is now able to appoint someone to fill the seat: the very same seat that he will be seeking to win in the 2010 elections. I assume, then, that he does not want to appoint someone who he perceives as being a potential threat to his own candidacy for the seat (as a Republican may be). And yet he also cannot afford to appoint a Democrat to the seat, either; that would make him look bad to the Republican electorate in Florida, and also run the likely risk of damaging his own election chances. Under these unique circumstances, getting Governor Crist to appoint a third party conservative might be a genuine possibility. And who better than Florida resident and Constitution Party presidential (2008) and vice presidential (2004) candidate, Dr. Chuck Baldwin? Dr. Baldwin's 2008 presidential campaign --- again, as I'm sure most of you know --- was endorsed by Dr. Paul. I don't even know if he would accept this appointment if it were offered, but it's worth a try.

An article (Alex Newman. "The Fallout of Sen. Mel Martinez’s Resignation." The New American Magazine. August 10, 2009. Accessed August 10, 2009) at http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/congress/1626 suggests that the appointment is likely to be made by the time Congress returns from recess. We should immediately begin to flood Governor Crist, the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) and NRSC Chairman Senator John Cornyn with letters/faxes/phone calls asking them to carefully consider Dr. Baldwin for the appointment. Key arguments to make are that this appointment would provide a genuine conservative to represent Florida, avoid the mistake of appointing a Democrat, show that Governor Crist can make independent decisions, and also help to lessen the risk of seriously threatening his own candidacy for the seat in 2010.

This is a unique opportunity, and because of Governor Crist's circumstances I believe that there is at least a realistic possibility that it theoretically might succeed, but we only have a short period to get Dr. Baldwin's name out there for consideration.

CONTACTS:

1. Governor Crist
http://www.flgov.com/contact_governor

2. National Republican Senatorial Committee
http://www.nrsc.org/about-the-nrsc.html (near the bottom of this page)

3. NRSC Chairman Senator John Cornyn
http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Home

South Park Fan
08-10-2009, 11:27 PM
This would be great if it actually happened. I doubt it will, though. Since I live in California, does Charlie Crist really care about my opinion?

Njon
08-10-2009, 11:31 PM
This would be great if it actually happened. I doubt it will, though. Since I live in California, does Charlie Crist really care about my opinion?

If you don't try, we'll never know.

tonesforjonesbones
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM
YES everyone should write to Governor Crist. It doesn't matter if you don't live in FLorida. Crist is going to look for someone who he KNOWS will not run against him. He is running for that seat. If Chuck Baldwin would be willing to be a place holder...that would be cool. I'm sure Crist has someone picked out...but it doesn't hurt for a mass letter to Crist..and it is MUCH more effective to hand write the letter and send it snail mail. I know this because I wrote a letter for our Florida Libertarian Party Chair to Governor Crist last year asking for him to be appointed to a position in south florida. Tones

dr. hfn
08-10-2009, 11:40 PM
bump!

teamrican1
08-11-2009, 08:00 AM
LOL at the idea our twinkle toes neocon Governor would appoint Chuck Baldwin to the Senate! That's about as plausible as Obama appointing Ron Paul as the next Chairman of the Fed. Crist is going to find some retired, non-controversial, establishment hack to warm the seat for him. He's certainly not going to appoint an anti-war Constitutionalist. First, because Crist doesn't believe in that. But more importantly, because Crist's neocon puppet masters in the RNC would never allow it.

Aratus
08-11-2009, 10:01 AM
horrors galore...
is it to be jeb bush...?

brandon
08-11-2009, 10:12 AM
lol, you're all dreaming

Imperial
08-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Crist will also need someone willing to endorse him. Baldwin will NEVER endorse him.

He Who Pawns
08-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Fail.

Alawn
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
This would be cool but it would never ever happen. He would never appoint someone in a 3rd party.