PDA

View Full Version : Ron + Liberty Movement FINALLY get good press in major conservative outlets

Matt Collins
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Read the entire article here
http://spectator.org/archives/2009/08/10/money-bombs-away

Rush talks about the above website all the time. It's a great read about Ron.

As Ron Paul Republicans have slowly been making inroads within the party structure, Congressman Paul himself has been gaining in influence over the GOP. Every Republican in the House is a now a co-sponsor of his bill to audit the Federal Reserve. Mainstream conservatives quote liberally from Paul's reading list, including Thomas Woods' Meltdown and some of Schiff's work, when grilling Obama Treasury officials about the economy.

Even on issues of war and peace, Paul isn't always in the minority anymore. A handful of conservatives who supported the Iraq war, like Congressman Roscoe Bartlett (R-Md.), have joined him in questioning President Obama's Afghanistan escalation. All but five Republicans voted with Paul against the supplemental funding of Iraq and Afghanistan, including the entire leadership. They haven't suddenly become noninterventionists -- the issue for most Republicans was extraneous spending, not the wars themselves -- but it is nevertheless a major departure from the party's stance under President Bush.

It is of course the Obama administration and the financial meltdown that have given Paulian ideas a new resonance, not so much his dissent on the war. (Though Paul's success in fundraising and attracting the kind of young voters who have been fleeing the GOP in droves has had an impact as well.)

Deborah K
08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
From the comment section:

Ryan| 8.10.09 @ 8:05AM
I think I could live with this guy if he's a toned-down version of his father...and attracts people who aren't so paranoid. Ron Paul's problem wasn't necessarily his philosophy, it's the crazy people who tend to jump on board with him - authoritarians, racists, supremacists, conspiracists, etc. I don't want to be in a party with them and I don't like their detrimental associations.

This is proving to be somewhat difficult to overcome.

Good article overall though.

Badger Paul
08-10-2009, 12:37 PM
"I don't want to be in a party with them and I don't like their detrimental associations. "

Gee, I hope this person feels the same way about the Birthers.

eduardo89
08-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree with the comment you posted Deborah, I hate being associated with extremists and conspiracists whenever I bring up that I'm a RP supporter. It's usually people who don't really know about RP that bring those things up, but I think one of the most important things our movement needs to do is educate the masses on what exactly the liberty message is, and how is incompatible with racist, authoritarian, extremist viewpoints

Feenix566
08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Nice article :)

We could all learn a thing or two from those of us in the liberty movement with more experience in politics, like Ron or Rand Paul. Rand's congratulations to Bunning, and his omission of the Iraq war vote, probably won him a lot of respect among Kentucky GOP primary voters.

Feenix566
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
This is proving to be somewhat difficult to overcome.

That's exactly what I've been saying. Our movement is better off without the conspiracy theorists. It's bad enough that they ruined Ron Paul's presidential run. I hope they don't ruin Rand Paul, Peter Schiff, or Adam Kokesh.

Deborah K
08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
That's exactly what I've been saying. Our movement is better off without the conspiracy theorists. It's bad enough that they ruined Ron Paul's presidential run. I hope they don't ruin Rand Paul, Peter Schiff, or Adam Kokesh.

Well, I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist, so I resemble that remark. :D I don't think trying to ostracize people from the liberty movement is the right thing to do. I always tell people who criticize our movement because of the tin foil hatters, etc. that the beauty of the movement is in the diversity. The right to be free. All of us want the same thing - adherence to the Constitution - even the kooky among us want that. That, above all else is what our focus should always be on. It needs to be okay that we all have the right to think how we want, and to speak freely about it, whether we like someone elses view or not. Otherwise we become exactly like what we are fighting against.

kahless
08-10-2009, 01:00 PM
It's bad enough that they ruined Ron Paul's presidential run.

IMO the neocon establishment Republican Party hiercharcy and Foxnews did the most damage to Ron Paul's presidential run.

Matt Collins
08-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with the comment you posted Deborah, I hate being associated with extremists ...whenever I bring up that I'm a RP supporter. That being said, you might consider not using the "r3volution" logo as it's a turn off to many in the mainstream ;)

Matt Collins
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
That's exactly what I've been saying. Our movement is better off without the conspiracy theorists. It's bad enough that they ruined Ron Paul's presidential run. I hope they don't ruin Rand Paul, Peter Schiff, or Adam Kokesh.Well they didn't ruin it, but their impact was definitely negative in terms of casting a perception upon Ron and his supporters.

And I don't care if anyone is a conspiracy theorist, most of my friends in this movement are, but the problem arises when these ideas get vocalized outside of our group. Most of my friernds are good about not yelling "9/11 was an inside job" at the local GOP meetings :p;)

hotbrownsauce
08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I believe parts (not all) of the so called "conspiracy" crowd have completely separated Ron Paul from the conspiracies they believe. For instance I know of a person who was all about conspiracies and getting to the bottom of them. But when Ron Paul came along they realized they could achieve the same goal but through a different means-restoring constitutional government-that has much less criticism and stereotypes than a "conspiracy theorist". Hopefully others will follow this persons lead. Of course they are still into the conspiracy stuff but they never mix it with Ron Paul. So they do not taint his name in the eyes of the main stream.

pcosmar
08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
"I don't want to be in a party with them and I don't like their detrimental associations. "

Gee, I hope this person feels the same way about the Birthers.

Ryan| 8.10.09 @ 8:05AM
I think I could live with this guy if he's a toned-down version of his father...and attracts people who aren't so paranoid. Ron Paul's problem wasn't necessarily his philosophy, it's the crazy people who tend to jump on board with him - authoritarians, racists, supremacists, conspiracists, etc. I don't want to be in a party with them and I don't like their detrimental associations.
Bullshit,
This is the same red herring that was being pushed before th primaries.
This is the same slander that was used successfully against the JBS.

Show me. Where are the "authoritarians". That was worth the chuckle.

How about just shouting "I don't want to be associated with people,,I want to stand beside a bunch of robots that all think, act and look alike."

Real people have different quirks, concerns, and dislikes.

pcosmar
08-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I remember the Romney bots that were on Mackinac Island.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/1443652555_e65857ad1c.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1328/1443653529_8c433d661a.jpg
These folks were everywhere, at least till their shift was over.
Bussed in and paid to be there.

I preferred the crowd that paid their own way.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/1423263422_daf8a21045.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1044/1425636772_89d3d4c627.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1255/1424753783_3f855f28da.jpg

YouTube - Ron Paul Mackinac Island Revolution Pt1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bRmCxOdJs)

Deborah K
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I love Mackinac. One of my favorite places in the world - during the summer of course. Are they still horse-drawn?

pcosmar
08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I love Mackinac. One of my favorite places in the world - during the summer of course. Are they still horse-drawn?

Yup. And to anyone that thinks Ron Is too old, You never tried to keep up to him. Over a mile hike uphill. That man was stepping. :D

jmlfod87
08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with Ryan above. The Paulites are the same kind of people that got Hitler elected in nazi germany. They desperately need to be eradicated...them and there swastikas. They are incredibly foolish and childish for believing that we don't live in a dangerous world where we could be blown off the face of the earth by iran or even pakistan. Yes, war kills people...even innocent people, but in the grand scheme of things, it's better to kill some innocent people and prevent a war on our soil than to have to fight a real war on our land. you got to break a few eggs to make an omelet. At least Ryan and I understand that. This is the real world, paulites and there is no place for you people here.

His ignorance is painful.

Athan
08-10-2009, 03:04 PM

Feenix, that frankly is bullshit. I'll tell you why. Our movement was railroaded by the media and Republican leadership. For instance, do you remember New Hampshire? Did you remember Hannity? What about those idiotic republican moderators in the republican debates publicly ridiculing and mocking his Constitutional principles and beliefs? Do you remember Levin? Does your opinion explain Michelle Malkin? What about the other idiots who attacked him?

They attacked him because he promoted non-interventionism, pulling out of Iraq, massively reduce spending, and warned of economic collapse. Remember Paul ran on the "peace" platform and most of us scared them because we were getting organized enough to take conventions.

What you stated is simply the line of bullshit that those same idiots used to excuse their assaults on the only Liberty candidate America has had since Goldwater. Its because they put their bullshit ridden foot in their mouth and they have no way of undoing it. It was all over once the end of August showed them to be the biggest pile of idiots America has seen since the Iraq debacle. I remember what they did. You either weren't here during that time when they were doing their damnedest to marginalize us or you forgot the obstacles they threw at us.

fatjohn
08-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Everybody must be a conspirator to some degree i guess. Everybody knows there are problems in our society.
If 0% of the conspiracy movement is right, then why are there so many faults in our society?
Just because everybody tries to do good but is to dumb to make it into a success?
Is Paulson incredibly dumb or a conspiring criminal? (By the way, the answer is: "yes, he is" LOL)
If you think a conspiracy theory always equals a nutter story, then you are hopelessly naive. Just as hopelessly naive as a person who believes all the conspiracy theories that exist. Like no one in the history of mankind made a secret pact with someone else to benefit with respect to others. I started doing that in kindergarten. It's human.

torchbearer
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Everybody must be a conspirator to some degree i guess. Everybody knows there are problems in our society.
If 0% of the conspiracy movement is right, then why are there so many faults in our society?
Just because everybody tries to do good but is to dumb to make it into a success?
Is Paulson incredibly dumb or a conspiring criminal? (By the way, the answer is: "yes, he is" LOL)
If you think a conspiracy theory always equals a nutter story, then you are hopelessly naive. Just as hopelessly naive as a person who believes all the conspiracy theories that exist. Like no one in the history of mankind made a secret pact with someone else to benefit with respect to others. I started doing that in kindergarten. It's human.

Our country was founded on a conspiracy. A conspiracy against the King.

Flash
08-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Finally some rep.

catdd
08-10-2009, 04:16 PM

Well, I don't want to share a party with neocons either, so I guess we're even.
But look, they weren't blaming us back during the primaries, they had something else to blame.
They will ALWAYS have an excuse not to support Dr. Paul.

Anti Federalist
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM

You know, there is going to come a time, in the not too distant future, when I am going to take one more punch in the face like that, and I'm going to take my money and my time and my sweat and tell all of you to go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

Fuck you.

purplechoe
08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
You know, there is going to come a time, in the not too distant future, when I am going to take one more punch in the face like that, and I'm going to take my money and my time and my sweat and tell all of you to go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

Fuck you.

Here, here!!!

donnay
08-11-2009, 09:44 AM
//

BillyDkid
08-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Well, I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist, so I resemble that remark. :D I don't think trying to ostracize people from the liberty movement is the right thing to do. I always tell people who criticize our movement because of the tin foil hatters, etc. that the beauty of the movement is in the diversity. The right to be free. All of us want the same thing - adherence to the Constitution - even the kooky among us want that. That, above all else is what our focus should always be on. It needs to be okay that we all have the right to think how we want, and to speak freely about it, whether we like someone elses view or not. Otherwise we become exactly like what we are fighting against.I have always been inclined to welcome anyone who supports liberty - whatever other whacky ideas they hold. Unfortunately, sometimes those whacky ideas are anti- liberty. You can't be a part of a liberty movement if you don't support liberty. I didn't read the responses to my post asking if we are being co-opted because I am sensitive to people attacking me, but the fact is, the Rushes and the O'Reily's and the Hannitys and the Coulters are not friends of liberty and then hating Obama doesn't make them our friends. We can not forget the way these people treated Ron Paul and his supporters during the campaign and I don't want to see the movement for liberty derailed by those who view us as a vehicle for opposing Obama, but really hate everything we stand for.

RM918
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I hold the opinion that any supporters of Paul are totally welcome, I don't care if they worship a block of cheddar cheese, so long as they don't go to rallies holding up signs that the cheddar cheese God demands compliance.

As far as the theories go in the minority, the 9/11ers or the birthers or the anti-Zionists, I don't see how thinking those things is 'anti-Liberty' at all. What it is that annoys fellow Paulers about these sorts is the fact that opponents who'd never sign on with the idea anyway use it as a flimsy way to attack us without challenging the actual message, total ad hominem. This has led to the cold-blooded thought that conspiracy-minded Paulers have become /inconvenient/, and should be removed, that's simply what it is, and it's a shame that people let themselves think this way when they realize they're committing the same sins they hated the establishment for.

While I think it's wrong to plaster people, just because they think something, as totally irrelevant or evil or complete whackjobs and thus write them off, I think this is a fight for another time. It's a fight we can't win while simultaneously fighting for Paul, and that's what I'd like those members to consider /if/ they're the sort of members who like using the influence or opportunity they have to stump for Paul stumping for their own theories. Although it's a damned shame it's gotten to this level, stumping for your ideas alongside Paul is serving as a hefty distraction to getting things across. To stump for Paul is challenging enough ideas, to focus people to believe the sort of lies you espouse have been going on is quite another. One step at a time.

I suppose it could be seen as hypocrisy to think this way, but I'm forced to take on an aspect of realism in this situation. In the end I don't personally have a problem with the people who /do/ simultaneously stump for their theories and Paul at once, but I think they should do some introspective thought about whether they're doing good for either of their ideas by going about it that way. I think most conspiracy-minded folks realize this, as they are indeed conspiracy-minded and know what our opponents will do with this.