PDA

View Full Version : People Bashing the Tips Act ?

purepaloma
09-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Here is some of the stuff I've seen...

--------------------------------

He's pandering to a certain class or segment of the population. This is exactly what politicians do to get elected: treat people differently than the rest of the population in order to buy their vote. He could just as easily introduced a bill that would have exempted minorities from income tax. There's no difference.

Why does wait staff deserve to have income exempted from income tax and not minorities (or accountants, or engineers, or professors, or line workers, or truck drivers, or ditch diggers, or school teachers, or fireman, or police officers, or ambulance drivers, or professional golfers, or nurses, or doctors, or ferry boat captains, or chart boat captains, or amusement park ride operators, or fast food servers, or landscapers, or newspaper editors, or movie producers, or cattle ranchers, or florists, or construction workers, or, or, or, or, or....)

-------------------------------

Let see a bill filed by only R. Paul, no co-sponsors, and no similar Senate bills. Yeah another R. Paul success.

"...that would exempt tips (gifts) from the Income Tax that taxes wages."

I disagree that tips are "gifts". If that were the case, as has been said, the minimum wage would be in effect for the employees.

Also, if I have a party larger than 6, then my "gift" becomes mandatory and is added onto the bill automatically. That's not a gift, it's a charge.

It's income, and should be taxed as such - just like everyone else's income. There shouldn't be a tax break just because you have to be nice to someone in order to get it.

constituent
09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
yeah... so what, those losers probably don't tip anyway. you'd think they'd be glad about it whether they were bleeding heart liberals, or small gov't conservatives...

i'd really like to meet the person who thinks this is worth opposing...

choose your battles.

FrankRep
09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
They are trolls.

Ron Paul is against Income Tax, Period.

EvilTwinkie
09-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Right what they dont tell you is that Tips are not guaranteed income and the IRS taxes you as if they were.

micahnelson
09-27-2007, 09:17 AM
1) How can you say he is pandering when he ultimately wants to remove the ENTIRE income tax? People fault him for "trying to do too much all at once" and now they are faulting him for taking it one step at a time. You can't have it both ways and be intellectually honest. Also, don't justify an unfair tax on someone else because you have an unfair tax. Why not support the removal of taxes in general by supporting Ron Paul, the man who will end the IRS?

2) The right ideas are rarely popular. He is standing alone on principle- not buckling to the party politics or business as usual. If you claim to want someone different, don't criticize him for not being like everyone else.

3) Basically the same issue as number 1. Being against a lifting of the tax burden on tips is like a slave complaining that other slaves aren't being whipped as hard. Yes we all want to be free, but we should support any tax cut we can get in the ultimate end of eliminating the IRS.

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah, but I don't see why he would go to the trouble to introduce a bill like this though. Maybe I'm not getting his rationale.

Cindy
09-27-2007, 09:23 AM
If anyone tries tro make those arguments in the first post with you, let them know this-

Their hourly salary is still taxed.

In many establishments, where tips are made, off of sales like food and bevarages, the employer automatically, claims a certain percentage of tips earned from the sales made. What if the employee didn't actually make that amount in tips, yet are taxed on it anyway?

This particular group of workers, is the only one subject to possibly having taxes taken from them on money not earned.

Keep the counter argument that simple.

If they push, ask " Do you think it should be enforcable by law to tax people on money they may not have even made? Yes or No? Keep going back to that question.

Chester Copperpot
09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah, but I don't see why he would go to the trouble to introduce a bill like this though. Maybe I'm not getting his rationale.

Its the same reason he has a bill to allow people to save in a tax free account for health care.... in lieu of the IRS NOT being abolished itll reduce taxes on the people

pcosmar
09-27-2007, 09:31 AM
The same reason he introduces many bills. They make a point, and they also show who supports a position.(or not)
I had been watching H.R.1096 for just this reason.
Where is the NRA? Where are all the Pro 2nd folks.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1096
Still no co-sponsors.

Ron Paul Fan
09-27-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2003/cr013003c.htm

If it was up to Congressman Paul, all income taxes would be abolished. He has introduced the Liberty Amendment which would do this. But he of course can not do it alone. The Tip Bill is an alternative that will help lower-middle class Americans keep more money. It's a good bill and I don't know why you can't understand why he introduced it. He's the taxpayer's best friend. He's been named the #1 tax cutter in Congress. This is what he does. He's not pandering because if it were up to him the whole income tax would be gone. Congressman Paul is for lower taxes for all and he has the record to back it up.

uncloned21
09-27-2007, 09:45 AM
maybe none of you have worked in a restaurant. most servers dont even report half of their tips anyway

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2003/cr013003c.htm

If it was up to Congressman Paul, all income taxes would be abolished. He has introduced the Liberty Amendment which would do this. But he of course can not do it alone. The Tip Bill is an alternative that will help lower-middle class Americans keep more money. It's a good bill and I don't know why you can't understand why he introduced it. He's the taxpayer's best friend. He's been named the #1 tax cutter in Congress. This is what he does. He's not pandering because if it were up to him the whole income tax would be gone. Congressman Paul is for lower taxes for all and he has the record to back it up.

I can't understand it, because it makes more sense to go after the entire income tax, rather than introduce a bill to just reduce it for one segment of the population.

micahnelson
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I can't understand it, because it makes more sense to go after the entire income tax, rather than introduce a bill to just reduce it for one segment of the population.

Death by many small cuts...

Point is we need less money going into and out of the federal government. They say they want to cut taxes, well here... they can start with tips.

pcosmar
09-27-2007, 09:57 AM
They say they want to cut taxes,
That's what they say. Lets see them prove it.

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Death by many small cuts...

Point is we need less money going into and out of the federal government. They say they want to cut taxes, well here... they can start with tips.

Ok. Good point.

constituent
09-27-2007, 10:01 AM
maybe none of you have worked in a restaurant. most servers dont even report half of their tips anyway

really, that's laughable... next time you get your paycheck (food service workers) check the deductions, even if you don't claim a number, most employers will assume one for you (a higher one just incase)... that's been my experience working in restaurants.

USPatriot36
09-27-2007, 10:02 AM
For a waitress, The Federal Government assumes you get so much in tips whether you get that much or not and taxes you accordingly. They base this amount on the total income of the restaurant where you work. They did this because so much tip money was not reported. So taxing people on money they might or might not have received is pretty unfair.

micahnelson
09-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Dems: We want to cut taxes for working class citizens, not the super wealthy!

Reps: Tax cuts help stimulate our economy!

Ron Paul: Ok, how about we stop taxing tips- it puts more money in the hands of working class citizens, and allows them to spend more- thus stimulating the economy.

Bipartisan Response: No.

MSM Headline: Bipartisanship on the rise in DC!

runderwo
09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Here is some of the stuff I've seen...

--------------------------------

He's pandering to a certain class or segment of the population.

Standard class warfare rhetoric. Exceedingly stupid argument against this bill because one's occupation, especially a low-skill one, is not set in stone.

The benefit to the "class" is only temporary. It will just make being a waiter more attractive in the short run, and in the long run base wages will correct downward. In the end the waiter is making the same amount of money and the government is getting less of it. Which is exactly what Ron Paul wants.