PDA

View Full Version : Chicago going 1984

nullvalu
09-27-2007, 08:17 AM
A new "security system" that would blanket the city, brought to us be the Department of Homeland Security.

The IBM Press release: The City of Chicago's OEMC and IBM Launch Advanced Video Surveillance System (http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/22385.wss)

Local story: City, IBM Announce High-Tech Security System (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_269211444.html)

Cowlesy
09-27-2007, 08:33 AM
doubleplusgood!

nullvalu
09-27-2007, 08:35 AM
yeah better dust off that primer on newspeak now..

i heard about this in like a 5-second blurb this morning on the news, with a nice calming sunny picture of the chicago skyline in the background.. ugh!!

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 08:46 AM
I am SO f'ing sick of this &^R%R%&!!! What is WRONG with the American people? Damn! Why can't they see what is going on? How can they believe this BS is to protect us when our borders are left wide frickin' open????

Marshall
09-27-2007, 08:50 AM
That CBS article was practically giddy.

Johnnybags
09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
and I may open a business selling them to the feds. Maybe all new cable modems should have high pickup microphones built in, or maybe they already do.

nullvalu
09-27-2007, 09:01 AM
and I may open a business selling them to the feds. Maybe all new cable modems should have high pickup microphones built in, or maybe they already do.

What would be the point? They can already remotely turn on your cell phone microphone and listen to you whenever they want..

Johnnybags
09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
What would be the point? They can already remotely turn on your cell phone microphone and listen to you whenever they want..

Thats why all congressman have to take batteries out at certain events.

Marshall
09-27-2007, 09:20 AM

Make sure that the flush counter can also do an instant drug test as well. That way the war on drugs can be won!

You'll be as rich as halliburton, let me know when I can invest.

nullvalu
09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Make sure that the flush counter can also do an instant drug test as well. That way the war on drugs can be won!

Stool analysis would also be a great investment.. That way automatic reports can be sent to the FDA if you've been eating too much junk food and the Fitness Police, the new division from the Deptment of Universal Healthcare can whip you back into shape.

EvilEngineer
09-27-2007, 09:27 AM

Yup, and currently the only way to get around this is to remove the battery. The next generation of phones will include a non-removable backup battery in addition to the normal battery so that even removing the battery will not stop them listening in.

Chester Copperpot
09-27-2007, 09:31 AM
A new "security system" that would blanket the city, brought to us be the Department of Homeland Security.

The IBM Press release: The City of Chicago's OEMC and IBM Launch Advanced Video Surveillance System (http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/22385.wss)

Local story: City, IBM Announce High-Tech Security System (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_269211444.html)

reminds me of the chief of police (I think of cleveland) who said the police should have cameras INSIDE peoples' PRIVATE homes so the police could make sure they werent committing any crimes... and no Im not making this up

Johnnybags
09-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Stool analysis would also be a great investment.. That way automatic reports can be sent to the FDA if you've been eating too much junk food and the Fitness Police, the new division from the Deptment of Universal Healthcare can whip you back into shape.

The federally mandated toilet, clocks water usage, instant pee and stool analysis to tell you to see a doctor or the dea to come over, and connected to broadband with a camera to do youtubes from. Should I design it to accept dollars and recycle them as cottonelle?

Marshall
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Yup, and currently the only way to get around this is to remove the battery. The next generation of phones will include a non-removable backup battery in addition to the normal battery so that even removing the battery will not stop them listening in.

Perhaps if we manufacture lead lined carrying cases for cell phones we could get around that. Would lead stop a cell phone signal?

fsk
09-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Someone experimented with that. Yes, putting your cell phone in a faraday cage prevents it from sending and receiving.

Nefertiti
09-28-2007, 05:16 AM
I live in Chicago and I am fully in support of the cameras-as long as they are in public outdoor places and on public transport. When we are in public places, we should not expect our behavior to be a private matter because everything we do potentially can be witnessed by passersbys. That's why they are called "public." If you follow the law, what do you have to worry about anyway?

You don't know how many people are sitting in Illinois prisons because someone falsely identified them as the perpetrator of a crime or who have been coerced by the police into a false confession. Having cameras on the streets and on the public transport helps to ensure that the people who are convicted really are the ones who committed the crimes. Just like DNA evidence is being used to exonerate people of rapes committed 10 or 20 years ago, if we had cameras at the scenes of crimes many others wrongly imprisoned would be free. It keeps the police honest and is much better than witnesses fleeting glimpse and faulty memory of the perpetrator. There have been several cases here recently where cameras (on private property) have helped to catch police not doing their job.

Marshall
09-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Someone experimented with that. Yes, putting your cell phone in a faraday cage prevents it from sending and receiving.

Excellent, that would be far lighter then lead. This thread is full of great money making ideas!

Nefertiti
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Straight from today's headlines, how video can protect us from corrupt cops:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-caballos28sep28,1,5603989.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Marshall
09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not registering to read the article. However, what happens when the corrupt cops are the ones controlling the video recording equipment?

saku39
09-28-2007, 12:44 PM

Why would there need to be a Fitness Police if there was Dept of Good Living and Work? They would give us our pre-approve nutritous food, prescribe us with exercise routines, give us healthy and productive jobs, and provide us all with equal housing. See, I'm thinking ahead. :)

This police state crap with all the cameras in public areas is useless and invasive. There was a study done on England (who are by far the most surveillence camera happy government on the planet.) The study said the cameras made absolutely no difference in preventing or solving crimes.

TheEvilDetector
09-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Faraday cages are very useful eg. shielding in a microwave oven.

Also, this guy probably doesn't mind wearing one either...

http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower

libertythor
09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!:eek:

Just two weeks ago Tijuana sent representatives to Chicago to brag about their state of the art surveilance system. Down here where I live, there are almost a thousand cameras blanketing the city. I HAD TO MOVE WHEN I SAW THAT A CAMERA WAS BEING PLACED A QUARTER BLOCK FROM MY HOUSE....WITH THE CAPABILITY OF VIEWING MY FRONT DOOR :mad:

The cameras have been up for over a year and the kidnappings, massacres, and other crime statistics are steady. Many of the kidnappings happen in full view of the cameras.

You people in Chicago had better fight tooth and nail. Get people organized......do demonstrations. (organize the people without Ron Paul campaign dominance in the message...but show up with Dr. Paul literature.)

Check out this link: http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0705/240641.html

"nd officials in Tijuana, Mexico, recently bought 353 units, Baker said. Police in Philadelphia and San Francisco are close to launching test programs of their own, and New Orleans and Atlanta have also made inquiries." These 353 units in TJ are a drop in the bucket. There are many hundreds of the "dumb cameras" tied into the network too!!!