PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know Anybody Who Has/Had The Swine Flu?

dannno
08-09-2009, 06:20 AM
I just found out one of my relatives has the swine flu :eek:

John of Des Moines
08-09-2009, 06:32 AM
I was called a swine while flying if that counts.

pcosmar
08-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Swine flew.?

http://checkuptoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/swine-flew.jpg

Nope.
No one that I know.

Wise
08-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Wordwide about 126,000 die everyday, not just flu, all deaths. That gives a little perspective to this flu concern I think.

freejack
08-09-2009, 07:26 AM
My three kids, wife, and I all had it. We also knew of a couple of other families that had it. Fairly common around here in NYC. The cases were extremely under reported.

catdd
08-09-2009, 07:54 AM
My three kids, wife, and I all had it. We also knew of a couple of other families that had it. Fairly common around here in NYC. The cases were extremely under reported.

Was it any worse than any other form of flu that you have had?

JeNNiF00F00
08-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Yeah I am curious about this as well.

pacelli
08-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Very young male child in the hospital, got over it in a week. No vaccination history.

MelissaWV
08-09-2009, 10:48 AM
I had what I suspect was the swine flu just before it became trendy and named (literally a month before the story broke). Much more severe symptoms, but the same general kinds. While I was out, another co-worker also got severely ill. We were each out a week but didn't go to the hospital.

A co-worker's husband died of H1N1 fairly recently after they went on a cruise. The entire family had milder versions of it, but they recovered just fine.

Most of the people that are dying of it could easily have died from a bad case of the "regular" flu (though that's misleading; there are so many varieties of influenza...).

sparebulb
08-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Last spring, I and a family member both had a pesky little illness that I hope was the pig flu. It was a respiratory illness that hung on for about ten days. There was little or no fever, which I found to be odd. The rest of the symptoms were typical of the flu or a bad chest cold.

It is hard to believe, but I survived without government intervention.

JK/SEA
08-09-2009, 10:59 AM
We used to call it wine flu back in the 80's. Does that count?

Working Poor
08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Last spring, I and a family member both had a pesky little illness that I hope was the pig flu. It was a respiratory illness that hung on for about ten days. There was little or no fever, which I found to be odd. The rest of the symptoms were typical of the flu or a bad chest cold.

It is hard to believe, but I survived without government intervention.

:D

RM918
08-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Highly unlikely. You'd be instantly vaporized upon receiving it, along with all your friends and family. That's how the dinosaurs got theirs.

raiha
08-09-2009, 01:45 PM
One of my patient's died of it. Cause of death swine flu. Nice of them to let me and my co-worker know. He didn't make it into the stats and the only reason i found out was because i am nosey and went into the path report. I think he caught it IN the general ward of the hospital.

Also a baby died in my area as well (his family was told it was SF.) and he didn't make it into the stats either. Howver 769 people died of regular flu here last year and this year 15 people died of swine flu. Flu season nearly over. But if they are not reporting all the cases, who knows?

catdd
08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Strange. Seems that the government would be exaggerating the cases rather than suppressing them.
Why would the cases not be reported?

Pete
08-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I have two stepchildren who were at an event with their father's family last weekend and now have what is clearly a flu. They won't be visiting a doctor to find out what strain it is unless they become extremely ill, which they're not.

hawaiisb
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
My friends boyfriend got it about 2 months ago on Oahu. My other friend just recently got it about a week ago out here on the big island of Hawaii.

Vessol
08-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I had the swine flu back in June.

Really nasty. Throwing up and shitting out your insides at the same time for 3 days.

Strange. Seems that the government would be exaggerating the cases rather than suppressing them.
Why would the cases not be reported?

To stop a panic. Back when I was at the hospital where I was diagnosed, I asked how the numbers were looking. They said they had at least two dozen cases in the small town hospital I was visiting alone. Keep in mind back in June, North Carolina was only reporting 20ish swine flu cases.

The numbers have definitely been fudged. This is far from some seasonal flu, if it mutates I can easily see it killing tens of millions.

Imperial
08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
My girlfriend said I'm a pig...does that mean I am more vulnerable to swine flu?!?!?!

In all seriousness, my friend had it for awhile. Hospitalized for a week or so, then was fine.

freejack
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM

My kids had fever that spiked to a little over 105 which was pretty nasty but it came down after several hours. My 3yo had to use a nebulizer due to heavy wheezing. The other two kids recovered within a few days. My wife had tons of phlegm in her chest but it went away after a week.

I started Tamiflu prophylaxis before I showed any symptoms since I had self-quarantined myself with them at home for a week and knew it was inevitable that I would get it. Worst thing I came down with was a really itchy and sore throat.

acptulsa
08-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Sounds like what I've had the last week and a half. Sucks but it won't kill me.

idirtify
08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
To you folks who were hospitalized with swine flu:
What meds did they give you?
Did they conclusively establish that it was the H1N1 virus?

RoyalShock
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
A long-time friend and co-worker had it a couple weeks ago. It was confirmed after he recovered. He basically said it was the worst flu he's ever had. Ended up going to the hospital with a fever approaching 104 and difficulty breathing. He was down 3-4 days and back to work after five.

teacherone
08-10-2009, 11:21 AM
http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/ for worldwide cases...
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm#statetable (http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/) ...state by state....

handy maps to track the swine flu

Feenix566
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I had swine flu for lunch, and it was delicious!