PDA

View Full Version : Prominent voices on Right blogosphere react to Peter Schiff's treatment on "Ed Show"

Chieftain1776
08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
The editor of the highly trafficked HotAir blog, Ed Morrissey (http://hotair.com/archives/2009/08/08/video-worlds-worst-tv-interview/)(with 189 comments!):

Video: World’s worst TV interview
posted at 11:25 am on August 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey
Share on Facebook | printer-friendly

Let’s say you’re a talk-show host and you get the one guy who precisely predicted the financial collapse a year before it happened. You want to talk to him about the health-care reform debate and the financial implications of the current legislation. Note also that the guest has been openly considering a run against an incumbent Senator. As an interviewer, what strategy would you choose?

A. Ask him to detail in depth how he predicted the financial collapse and to provide parallels to what he sees in the health-care debate

B. Acknowledge his success in predicted the 2008 collapse, but focus instead on the financial implications of health-care reform as a separate topic

C. Research the topic thoroughly and debate him point-for-point on substantive matters within the bill

D. Talk over him, don’t allow him to answer anything completely, offer juvenile demands to force the guest to give complicated answers in “30 seconds”, and berate him when he attempts to explain why that’s the entire problem with the health-care debate

Most interviewers will choose either A, B, or C, and all three are legitimate ways to interview an expert guest. If you want D, you usually have to tune in to MS-NBC, where Lawrence O’Donnell filled in for Ed Schultz on The Ed Show and channeled his inner Wally George. O’Donnell interviewed Peter Schiff, the man who tried to warn everyone that the housing bubble would burst and create a catastrophe, only in the sense that Schiff was allowed to remain on camera during an almost-uninterrupted diatribe by O’Donnell:

Why did O’Donnell act like a middle-school bully instead of a news interviewer? Apart from the fact that O’Donnell is a middle-school bully on air, Schiff wants to run against Chris Dodd for his Senate seat, and Schiff opposes ObamaCare. Instead of allowing Schiff to actually explain why, O’Donnell simply shouts over him and issues ridiculous time demands, and does just about everything short of sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling “NA-NA-NA-I-CAN’T-HEAR-YOU” when Schiff tries to explain his positions.

You know, if MS-NBC was an actual news organization, someone there would be embarrassed.

Mr. Schiff, if you want to appear on an Ed show that will allow you to talk, I’ll block out a half-hour for you any time at TEMS here at Hot Air.

Update: I added the link to Schiff’s campaign site; be sure to give it a visit. And yes, I have extended the invitation by e-mail as well.

The even also highly trafficked NewsBusters (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/08/08/msnbcs-odonnell-performs-possibly-worst-interview-history):

MSNBC's O'Donnell Performs Possibly the Worst Interview in History
By Noel Sheppard | August 8, 2009 - 13:42

Is it a requirement at MSNBC that program hosts interrupt conservative guests whenever possible thereby preventing anyone other than liberals to make a point?

Such certainly appeared to be the case Thursday evening when Lawrence O'Donnell filled in on "The Ed Show" and treated his guest, Peter Schiff, more poorly and unprofessionally than just about anything I've ever witnessed.

It was so bad that by the end of the segment, when O'Donnell said, "We're out of time. I gave you as much time as you wanted to tell me one thing," Schiff marvelously replied, "But you kept interrupting me."

Of course, since Schiff has just formed an exploratory committee to examine a possible run for Senate in 2010 against Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), the folks at MSNBC probably think O'Donnell did a good job (video embedded below the fold with full transcript, h/t Ed Morrissey):

Good to see they're sticking up for Peter against this blatant attack.

UPDATE: Another fairly prominent blog, Right Wing News (http://rightwingnews.com/mt331/2009/08/peter_schiff_vs_lawrence_odonn.php), adds a TIMER to the video. Hilarious! I'd only point out that in addition to difference in talking time O'Donnoll set the agenda i.e. Why do you beat your wife? Do you beat her with just with a fist or do you bring out a bat? Everyday or 3 times a week? etc.

YouTube - Peter Schiff vs. Lawrence O'Donnell with Timers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYEtTkanDx0)

erowe1
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
This is great! That interview will turn out to be a real boon for Schiff.

MRoCkEd
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Blowback!!!!

gls
08-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I hope he accepts that invitation for an interview with Hot Air. It sounds like a good opportunity to drum up support outside of the libertarian community.

MRoCkEd
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
I hope he accepts that invitation for an interview with Hot Air. It sounds like a good opportunity to drum up support outside of the libertarian community.
yeah
someone needs to let he andrew schiff know

Chieftain1776
08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Another (http://rightwingnews.com/mt331/2009/08/peter_schiff_vs_lawrence_odonn.php)prominent rightwing blog jumps into the fray. This blogger actually put a timer up. Hilarious :D. See the original post for the vid.

AbolishTheGovt
08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
When O'Donnell talks about student loans being "such a small, small sliver" of the education market, I can't help but remember Ben Stein telling Peter Schiff that subprime mortgages are "a tiny, tiny blip" back in 2007. :P

Flash
08-08-2009, 05:06 PM
http:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=7OGo1E21Z_8

Wow this guy seems to have a reputation for screaming over Conservatives who make logical points.

Freedom 4 all
08-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Ed Schultz is the true O'Reilly of the left.

Chieftain1776
08-08-2009, 05:20 PM
When O'Donnell talks about student loans being "such a small, small sliver" of the education market, I can't help but remember Ben Stein telling Peter Schiff that subprime mortgages are "a tiny, tiny blip" back in 2007. :P

Ha you're right :) But what's funny about this is O'Donnell completely contradicts himself. At 4:23 he says proudly acknowledges the "massive subsidies we give to college students" and then @5:10 he calls it a "small sliver"

kahless
08-08-2009, 05:29 PM
http:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=7OGo1E21Z_8

Wow this guy seems to have a reputation for screaming over Conservatives who make logical points.

Speaking as a Catholic I believe the church should deny O'Donnell communion and if he continues to distort the church teaching on abortion he should be excommunicated. He is welcome to find another religion of his choice that approves of the taking of innocent lives.

I still do not understand what Schiff was thinking when a bunch of us regular folks in this forum could see what was going to happen in advance with O'Donnell. It makes me wonder if this part of deal he made with MSNBC where he was required to do O'Donnell in order to get time on Scarborough and other shows.

Flash
08-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Speaking as a Catholic I believe the church should deny O'Donnell communion and if he continues to distort the church teaching on abortion he should be excommunicated. He is welcome to find another religion of his choice that approves of the taking of innocent lives.

I still do not understand what Schiff was thinking going on Ed Schulz when a bunch of us regular folks in this forum cound see what was goint to happen in advance. I wonder was this part of deal he made with MSNBC where he was required to do O'Donnell in order to get time on Scarborough and other shows.

To be honest because of this Peter Schiff is getting a good amount of publicity and respect from the Right-Wing bloggers.:D

Sandman33
08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
WHAT an asshole.

BlackTerrel
08-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I'd never even heard of this Ed guy before... but wow - what a prick.

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I watched it and wanted to punch my computer screen afterwards. Ed Schulz is a douchebag and his 'guest anchor' O'Donnell is possibly even worse. It was bad when Ed pulled the same school-yard, strawman bullshit interview tactics on Ron Paul (who not only took it in stride, but struck back) as O'Douchebag did with Peter. Fuck Ed Schulz and fuck O'Donnell.

BenIsForRon
08-08-2009, 09:08 PM
crazy

muh_roads
08-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Post on those right wing blogs about Schiff's money bomb this weekend.

unklejman
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know how Schiff sat there and kept going. I would have stormed out and said I'll come back when you are ready to engage in honest discussion.

talkingpointes
08-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Why do people recommend he should of stormed out? He is a grown man, and he handled it well. Storming out would of made the host look good to his base of mental midgets that can identify with that sort of behavior. Because Peter stood to his guns and did not relent for one second, he is to be commended and given us a good topic to discuss. Real men fight and real weak individuals walk the plank.

Peter Schiff does not back down to the likes of these cowards and he will stand up for the regular working American that promotes free-market ideals and there implementation.

BlackTerrel
08-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Why do people recommend he should of stormed out? He is a grown man, and he handled it well. Storming out would of made the host look good to his base of mental midgets that can identify with that sort of behavior. Because Peter stood to his guns and did not relent for one second, he is to be commended and given us a good topic to discuss. Real men fight and real weak individuals walk the plank.

Schiff did exactly the right thing. Storming out is what a child does.

devil21
08-09-2009, 03:38 AM
This interview should continue to go VIRAL. Spread it around!!

I think this interview will backfire BIG TIME and give Schiff a boost.

Kinda reminds me of Rudy calling out Ron on non-intervention.

YouTube - Terrorism: Ron Paul vs. Giuliani @ SC Debate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD7dnFDdwu0)

That debate started the fire....just a thought.

RM918
08-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Also, just to throw it out to clarify, that is not Ed Schultz, but Lawrence O'Donnell. Though Ed is pretty much the same, since he did the exact same thing when he had Ron Paul on.

unklejman
08-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Peter Schiff does not back down to the likes of these cowards and he will stand up for the regular working American that promotes free-market ideals and there implementation.

I did not suggest that he should have done that. I said that is what I think I would have probably done.
In other words he did the right thing, and sometimes the right thing is hard to do.