PDA

View Full Version : Why not run as an Independent or Start a New Party?

federalistnp
08-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Why not run as an Independent or Start a New Party?

I'm just curious. I believe Ron Paul to be one of the smartest, most articulate, creative, and honest Republicans in Office. He is distinguished to the point of being a party unto himself.

The Republicans are all but ignoring him to their and our detriment. Republicans will nominate a Palin, Huckabee, or Romney before Paul. Using the infrastructure of the Republican party will not work yet many of you count on it. No time is better for an independent run or a new party. Both parties are fractured and opportunity awaits.

Why wait?

max
08-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Why not run as an Independent or Start a New Party?

I'm just curious. I believe Ron Paul to be one of the smartest, most articulate, creative, and honest Republican in Office. He is distinguished that I see the man as a party unto himself.

The Republicans are all but ignoring him to their and our detriment. Republicans will nominate a Palin, Huckabee, or Romney before Paul. Using the infrastructure of the Republican party will not work yet many of you count on it. No time is better for an independent run or a new party. Both parties are fractured and opportunity awaits.

Why wait?

I dont think we're strong enough to stand on our own in Senate or Congressional runs, so what Rand and Schiff are doing is correct (running as GOP ers)....

but in the next go around for President...we definitely have to dig DEEP into our pockets and run third party. In fact, the Establishment may already be prepping Palin as 3rd party to split the anti-Obama vote.

BuddyRey
08-07-2009, 08:01 AM
How about a Voluntaryist Party or Consensualist Party?

Something both mainstream libertarians and market anarchists could support!

MRoCkEd
08-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Sort of like those people who run for town office with the platform of abolishing that office...

Run for federal office with the platform of abolishing government... lol

mczerone
08-07-2009, 08:07 AM
2 things:

Ballot Access

and

Starting new parties has been tried

federalistnp
08-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I dont think we're strong enough to stand on our own in Senate or Congressional runs, so what Rand and Schiff are doing is correct (running as GOP ers)....

but in the next go around for President...we definitely have to dig DEEP into our pockets and run third party. In fact, the Establishment may already be prepping Palin as 3rd party to split the anti-Obama vote.

Fascinating. What would be the platform or name of the Palin party?

Not sure I like that, but I would like to see an economically libertarian meets rationalist constitutional objectivists split from the GOP leaving behind the GOB GOP country club republicans.

TruthisTreason
08-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Over 90% in my county are registered in 1 of the 2 parties.

99% of those people don't care about issues.

jmdrake
08-07-2009, 08:15 AM
2 things:

Ballot Access

and

Starting new parties has been tried

The ballot access problem could be easily solved third parties were willing to work together on this one issue. Volunteers could solicit signatures for multiple parties at once. Have a slogan like "Open up the party". The problem is that third parties sometimes act like they hate each other more than the two main parties. Look at the Barr vs Baldwin wars we had on this forum even though Ron Paul was initially going to endorse both men. Somehow people think that dividing up the tiny independent pie is more important that getting "mainstream" voters to get past the lie that is the two party system.

As to the OP, find a local uncontested race, get on the ballot and go for it. Sometimes I think we focus so much on the big races that we forget about the smaller, more winnable ones.

max
08-07-2009, 08:19 AM

Not sure I like that, but I would like to see an economically libertarian meets rationalist constitutional objectivists split from the GOP leaving behind the GOB GOP country club republicans.

Palin has no substance. She just has good looks and a phony "mom next door image."

If she ran 3rd party, all she'd have to do is rant against "politics as usual" and she'd take the Zionist-Evangelical nutjob vote away from the GOP....

She might even get some gullible Ron Paul voters who actually think she's a libertarian.

federalistnp
08-07-2009, 08:22 AM
The ballot access problem could be easily solved third parties were willing to work together on this one issue. Volunteers could solicit signatures for multiple parties at once. Have a slogan like "Open up the party". The problem is that third parties sometimes act like they hate each other more than the two main parties. Look at the Barr vs Baldwin wars we had on this forum even though Ron Paul was initially going to endorse both men. Somehow people think that dividing up the tiny independent pie is more important that getting "mainstream" voters to get past the lie that is the two party system.

As to the OP, find a local uncontested race, get on the ballot and go for it. Sometimes I think we focus so much on the big races that we forget about the smaller, more winnable ones.

A third party and independent coalition to demand ballot access, and media access could be the revolution we need to get past the 2 Party false choice.

jmdrake
08-07-2009, 08:24 AM

The neocon party? She supported the bailouts, the illegal wars, the expansion of VP powers etc. Really I have yet to see any indication that she is somehow different from "mainstream" republicans. She has no reason to start a new party.

federalistnp
08-07-2009, 08:30 AM
The neocon party? She supported the bailouts, the illegal wars, the expansion of VP powers etc. Really I have yet to see any indication that she is somehow different from "mainstream" republicans. She has no reason to start a new party.

I agree and I don't get it unless she has a few tricks up her sleeve.

Bucjason
08-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Because third parties are IMPOTENT the way the current system is set up

Ron Paul can accomplish more by staying a Republican and trying to change the rest of the party for the better. It is already happening . More and more Republicans are turning away from the Neocon philosophy and towards the Paul philosophy.