PDA

View Full Version : Give me an example of successful underdog who won an election

Lymeade-Lady
08-06-2009, 10:36 PM
My family of Republicans has already decided that the Republican primary for TX governor is between Perry and Hutchison. (Where's the sick smilie?) I'd like some examples to help them overcome there stereo type that one of us can't win. They were just talking about wanting to get rid of all the politicians and get normal people in office, but yet they wouldn't vote for Medina in the primary. Don't know if they'll listen to reason, but I'd like to have some logical examples just in case!

Specifically what example do you think best can help people start voting outside who they are told are the "real" candidates? How can we help to change that perspective? If we don't do that, how will we ever get the good guys in?

The ironic part of it is my dad served as a campaign manager and got a Rep elected in a strong dem. county! But my brother is sure HE knows who the real candidates are even though he doesn't like them!

Thanks for listening and any advice you can offer.

evilfunnystuff
08-06-2009, 10:45 PM
jesse ventura sure came outta nowhere to take the governor slot in minisota

Lymeade-Lady
08-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Ooo, a governor--since that's what I'm talking about, that's a GREAT example. Thx.

acptulsa
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Deweytruman12.jpg

The press lies. They can be suckered or they can have consciences. Their choice.

Who cares if your candidate 'has a chance'? The important thing is to avoid obsessively washing your hands afterwards to try to get that perceived smell off of them...

BenIsForRon
08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Cory Booker, current mayor of Newark. No corporate funding, pure grassroots. He's one of my favorite politicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Booker

erowe1
08-07-2009, 12:57 PM
My family of Republicans has already decided that the Republican primary for TX governor is between Perry and Hutchison. (Where's the sick smilie?) I'd like some examples to help them overcome there stereo type that one of us can't win. They were just talking about wanting to get rid of all the politicians and get normal people in office, but yet they wouldn't vote for Medina in the primary. Don't know if they'll listen to reason, but I'd like to have some logical examples just in case!

Specifically what example do you think best can help people start voting outside who they are told are the "real" candidates? How can we help to change that perspective? If we don't do that, how will we ever get the good guys in?

The ironic part of it is my dad served as a campaign manager and got a Rep elected in a strong dem. county! But my brother is sure HE knows who the real candidates are even though he doesn't like them!

Thanks for listening and any advice you can offer.

Since you're talking about a primary, then any time some underdog beat the establishment picks in a primary should count. And there are plenty. Bill Clinton certainly was an underdog at this early stage in the 1992 campaign season. Reagan and Goldwater both were when in the '64 and '80 primaries. Sanford was an underdog in his primary race for SC governor. Obama was definitely an underdog at this early stage for the Dem nomination in 2008.

BenIsForRon
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
YouTube - Cory Booker on superpowers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6_ZtscTvtU)

Epic
08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Cory Booker, current mayor of Newark. No corporate funding, pure grassroots. He's one of my favorite politicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Booker

"Booker campaigned for U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman in Connecticut on August 6, 2006, two days before the Democratic primary pitting Lieberman against challenger Ned Lamont.[19][20]"

Uhhh, yeah, sounds like a great authoritarian

Epic
08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
tell them that they should vote for Medina whether she has a chance or not

then down the line people will think that liberty candidates have a chance in elections

erowe1
08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
tell them that they should vote for Medina whether she has a chance or not

then down the line people will think that liberty candidates have a chance in elections

If they're so easily disinclined to vote for her right now, then my guess is they don't care about "liberty candidates" to begin with.

BenIsForRon
08-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Uhhh, yeah, sounds like a great authoritarian

Everybody makes mistakes. Read the rest of the article.

He cut the deficit in half. He raised $100 million in private donations for public projects. He's also convinced local businesses to hire ex-cons to keep them off the streets (no government intervention involved, just talking to people). As a result, crime has gone down significantly in the city.

acptulsa
08-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Tell them they fell for that same obvious crap last time, and they not only wound up with a pretty-haired fairy boy, but as a result Oklahomans are laughing at them. Including me.

Tell them if they fall for the same goofy crap from the Texas Monthly again, Oklahomans would be saying that the only reason Texas doesn't slide off into the Gulf is because they always picks a governor that sucks, and that (unfortunately) keeps y'all stuck to us.

Tell 'em we're too smart up here to vote for pansies or whomever else 'they' tell us is the horse to back, and so we determine who we elect, not them. And that y'all could do as well as Oklahoma, if only you were as smart as Oklahomans.

You tell 'em I said so. You tell 'em that laughter they hear far to the north is coming from Tulsa.

Lymeade-Lady
08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I just can't believe they are saying Perry is the more conservative of the 2! Conservative!?! I have never disliked another politician as much as Perry! Mandating HPV vaccines while it's still on the floor of the legislature! Unreal! That's just one of his sins. If anyone ever needed to get kicked out of office.... I think I'll vote against him no matter who I have to vote for. But here I have a chance to cast my vote for a real candidate and my family thinks I'm foolish for not voting for Perry. But I'm not very knowledgeable, so I'm researching so I don't sound like an idiot when I try to tell people why I'm so excited about her.

torchbearer
08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Lincoln is another example.

free.alive
08-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Gary Johnson, Governor New Mexico. Won without much party support, in a Democrat state having never been elected to anything before. Yes, he was a wealthy independent businessman, but he still beat considerable odds.

I would love to hear from some New Mexico residents about that election and the experience with him as governor. I have never actually heard anything, except negative stuff about how the state was supposedly in shambles after he left because he vetoed so much and made so many cuts. I don't believe, but I've never heard otherwise.

Valli6
08-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Cory Booker, current mayor of Newark. No corporate funding, pure grassroots. He's one of my favorite politicians.:eek:
You are very much mistaken. Cory Booker was fabricated in the same laboratory as Obama. He is mayor of Newark because the Council on Foreign Relations adores him. Obviously they have big plans for him.
http://www.cfr.org/publication/4521/complicating_the_race.html

acptulsa
08-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Got a SECEDE bumper sticker on their pickup but won't vote for someone unless the damned newspaper gives them permission. A finer working definition of insanity I can't imagine.

Try this. When the high school football predictions come out, look to see who's ranked number one and buy them all shirts from that high school. When they ask you what the hell you're thinking, tell them you were under the impression they planned to flush all their principles down the damned toilet and support only who the paper says will win.

BenIsForRon
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
:eek:
You are very much mistaken. Cory Booker was fabricated in the same laboratory as Obama. He is mayor of Newark because the Council on Foreign Relations adores him. Obviously they have big plans for him.
http://www.cfr.org/publication/4521/complicating_the_race.html

Did you read the article? It's written by one guy in the CFR who likes him.

Seriously do some research on Booker that doesn't involve typing "Cory Booker + CFR" into google. Watch some videos. He's the real deal.

StayTrue
08-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Did you read the article? It's written by one guy in the CFR who likes him.

Seriously do some research on Booker that doesn't involve typing "Cory Booker + CFR" into google. Watch some videos. He's the real deal.

the real deal huh?

YouTube - Turn in your Neighbor for $1000 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyw1JnAstg)

Bradley in DC
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
RON PAUL 1996
Major kudos to Tom Lizardo and team!

BenIsForRon
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
the real deal huh?

Research the Newark Police Foundation, it's a private entity. I'm sure I wouldn't agree with everything they do, but Newark has been an incredibly violent town, and private citizens are donating to this organization to find ways to end the violence.

You have to remember, these people are having murders in their neighborhood everyday, so they might be more than ready to turn some people in.

Booker has been good on other civil liberties issues though, Reason even likes him:

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/121025.html