PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul supporter gets help from ACLU

JosephTheLibertarian
09-26-2007, 11:10 PM
http://libertyandaccessibility.blogspot.com/2007/09/ron-paul-supporter-gets-help-from-aclu.html

ctb619
09-26-2007, 11:14 PM
hell yes

slantedview
09-26-2007, 11:15 PM
i've been wondering how this could be applied to neighborhoods that are under the nazi control of home owners associations? undoubtedly, this stuff is a violation of regulations.

anyone have an idea if it can be overcome?

Cindy
09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Awesome news!!!!!!! My county in Florida has an ordinance that says, political campaign signs can only be up 60 days before the election.

I do think the rules regarding HOA rules in deed restricted communities is another battle as you sign a contract to agree to abide by the rules of the HOA at the time of the purchase. Not even realtor for sale signs are allowed in my CDD.

Anyway, looks like they are legal anywhere else.:D

If you live in Florida, make sure to post this link at your local meet up groups message board and let them know it's a go to Paint the Town Ron!

ronpaulyourmom
09-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Nice one, ACLU.

TheIndependent
09-26-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm glad they backed their asses down and even invited the ACLU to participate in their reform of those laws.

Awesome news!!!!!!! My county in Florida has an ordinance that says, political campaign signs can only be up 60 days before the election.

That's something you should perhaps bring up to the ACLU as a possible abridgment of political expression.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Billo HATES the ACLU

Cindy
09-27-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm glad they backed their asses down and even invited the ACLU to participate in their reform of those laws.

That's something you should perhaps bring up to the ACLU as a possible abridgment of political expression.

If anyone wants to in their deed restricted community they can go for it. The way I see it, if you buy in one with restrictions, it's because, thats what you are looking for. Personally, I get PISSED off, when people buy in them, knowing the rules, and then break them left and right. No one is forced to buy into one. There are plenty of unrestricted properties for sale.

There are also plenty of things those living in deed restricted communities can do, if political signs are not allowed-the last one I lived in did allow them.

You can put flyers on doors, leave your car in the drive with Paul signage on it, post a flyer at a community center bulleton board, post about him on a community web message board.

Right outside of the entry way, their is public land off the main road where a sign can go. Everyone coming in and out will see it there better anyway. My street doesn't get much traffic.

I did just post the link to this at 2 local meetup groups. Membership totals about 200 now between the two of them. It's great news for us and many were concerned that if we did a Paint the Town Ron, the police would try to shut down the meet up groups like they did in Hawaii.

Syren123
09-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Wow. Not only did those little pinheads back down, but they had the sense enough to revisit their communist law and ask the ACLU for advice on how to amend it!

Learning experiences can be painful. Glad to see the city of Clermont learn their lesson painlessly.

TheIndependent
09-27-2007, 12:31 AM
If anyone wants to in their deed restricted community they can go for it. The way I see it, if you buy in one with restrictions, it's because, thats what you are looking for.

The problem with many people entering such agreements is that they don't realize the restrictions they've signed onto until they hit them head-on. (Note the many negative headlines regarding them that make headlines in local papers, and sometimes even state and national.)

Personally, I fault them for not reading the fine print, but it's still no excuse for abridging their freedom of political expression. (When it comes to employment in a private company, however, I do find a distinction compared to that of your chosen place of habitation.)

However, I'm glad you've found a good neutral area where you can set up signs; I'm almost certain there are many others out there that find their signs removed post-haste.