PDA

View Full Version : AARP Town Hall Meeting on Health Care

literatim
08-06-2009, 12:28 PM
YouTube - AARP Town Hall Meeting on Health Care - Dallas, August 4, 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMNDdQ1_h0)

MsDoodahs
08-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Great video, thank you for posting it.

:)

__27__
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Psshh, they're just plants. Probably old McCain staffers being bussed around the country.

angelatc
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
forwarded to flag@whitehouse.gov

(not really!)

Old people look a lot younger than they used to.

Dr.3D
08-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Well, it looks like AARP just threw out their members. I doubt AARP will be around very much longer if they treat their members like they did these people.

MsDoodahs
08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
If you know any older folks who are computer active, be sure to send them a link to this video along with encouragement to cancel their aarp membership.

Dr.3D
08-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I canceled my AARP membership a couple of years ago. I started seeing through what they were about way back then.

Stary Hickory
08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
AS soon as these idiots stop talking about what "we" should do everything will be ok. I like my health care the way it is, I think we need to get government completely out of health care. You cant have an intelligent discussion with these types of people because they refuse to admit that government is the one who is responsible for the high health care costs.

They make wild assumptions like, "we have a free market health care system" which is completely false because government regulates and runs most of it aready....government intervention into health car has failed...and never was moral or constituional to begin with.

I will take my chances on the free market system ( a real one) and the loons who want to have rationed government run healthcare have that....but I am not paying for their stupidity!

extrmmxer
08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Great Video.......instant classic

__27__
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
AS soon as these idiots stop talking about what "we" should do everything will be ok. I like my health care the way it is, I think we need to get government completely out of health care. You cant have an intelligent discussion with these types of people because they refuse to admit that government is the one who is responsible for the high health care costs.

They make wild assumptions like, "we have a free market health care system" which is completely false because government regulates and runs most of it aready....government intervention into health car has failed...and never was moral or constituional to begin with.

I will take my chances on the free market system ( a real one) and the loons who want to have rationed government run healthcare have that....but I am not paying for their stupidity!

But that's part of the problem Stary, they've successfully painted the debate as change versus status quo. The third party payer system and HMO's are COMPLETELY failed. Yet only one alternative option is given to people. People KNOW the system is broken, but they don't know how or why, or how to fix it. You can hardly blame them for agreeing with the side that says "It is broken, here is what we can do to fix it" over the side that says "everything is fine, nothing to see here folks". We will continue to lose unless we give them a better option, and show them exactly why the system is broken, why a government system won't fix it, and what actually can be done to fix it.

angelatc
08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
If you know any older folks who are computer active, be sure to send them a link to this video along with encouragement to cancel their aarp membership.

I sent it to my parents.

Deborah K
08-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Excellent! Am sending it out.

Deborah K
08-06-2009, 03:05 PM
forwarded to flag@whitehouse.gov

(not really!)

Old people look a lot younger than they used to.

Aarp starts recruiting you at the age of 50.

Epic
08-06-2009, 03:10 PM
AARP basically will just turn into a leftist advocacy organization as all the small-government people leave.

Some enterprising people will probably start an alternative organization, but it will struggle just cause AARP has a dominant position (economies of scale; they are more established, can get their members better benefits)

angelatc
08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Aarp starts recruiting you at the age of 50.

Yeah, I was joking. DH got his first membership solicitation on Jan 2 of the year he was going to turn 50.

angelatc
08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
AARP basically will just turn into a leftist advocacy organization as all the small-government people leave.

Some enterprising people will probably start an alternative organization, but it will struggle just cause AARP has a dominant position (economies of scale; they are more established, can get their members better benefits)

http://www.60plus.org/about-aarp.asp

Deborah K
08-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't know if cancelling memberships is the way to go. Know thy enemy. Infiltrate. Take it over. Yeah, it takes time and energy, but it's what they do and they're damned good at it.

angelatc
08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't know if cancelling memberships is the way to go. Know thy enemy. Infiltrate. Take it over. Yeah, it takes time and energy, but it's what they do and they're damned good at it.

They are, but we're not.

Deborah K
08-06-2009, 03:47 PM
They are, but we're not.

I think we can be when we set our minds to it. Right now we seem to be very scattered. :(

free.alive
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM

That's the ticket! AARP. League of Women Voters. The Chambers of Commerce. Rotary. Knights of Columbus. Lions, Elks, Moose, Eagles, etc. America Legion, VFW. The Grange. The neighborhood association. Every single frickin "Citizen Advisory Board" down at City Hall and the County Seat.

These organizations wield power, and all we need are people who can give a speech and look & sound confident. Added bonus that we'll have their Liberty in mind!

JAlli41
08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
one of the things that worries me about this video, and this movement in general, is the continued use of the phrases "freedom," and "liberty." We have to become vigilant as a movement and not allow these phrases to become meaningless buzzwords. Part of taking power means that mainstream type citizens will begin catching on to a movements' ideas and phrases. But we cannot allow "liberty" and "freedom" to become the new "hope" and "change." When we begin electing people to office (and we will), we have to follow up on these people and make sure they are not just using our rhetoric and not our policies. Just continually hearing those phrases, "liberty" and "freedom" in that video began making me cringe a bit. These aren't just words, they are extremely important ideas and a way to live your life.

Matt Collins
08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
According to radio talk show hosts the AARP is a liberal leaning organization.

LittleLightShining
08-07-2009, 05:29 AM
The AARP was named in the memo to Dem congresspeople I posted as an organization that is working with the Dems to pass this thing. I was talking to a few older people earlier this week and they were saying that they have canceled their memberships because they are sick of being propagandized. They said even though they canceled they still receive stuff.

Does the sound on that video in the OP work or is it the computer I'm on right now?

MsDoodahs
08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Does the sound on that video in the OP work or is it the computer I'm on right now?

It was working yesterday but very hard to understand at different parts.

Deborah K
08-07-2009, 07:51 AM
This is getting a boat load of MSM coverage. Dobbs, and the entire FNC seem to be defending the people's rights to protest.

YouTube - O'Reilly Calls Democrats Hypocrites Re: Town Hall Protests (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRGQ0EvzcjA)

YouTube - Glenn Beck on The dnc-white house Statements on Town Hall Protesters- "Angry Mobs" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1N7cwA4uk)