09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Good Job Guys.

ronpaulyourmom
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
It's a strong showing.

foofighter20x
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Wow.

Just wow, you guys. Only 8 days like that would be an easy $1M.

ross11988
09-26-2007, 10:07 PM
I think the goal should be $750,000

runderwo
09-26-2007, 10:34 PM
I have a bad feeling after seeing Tokyo Japan, IN as a location...

http://web.umr.edu/~rcuca4/tokyo.jpg

McDermit
09-26-2007, 10:35 PM
tokyo japan indiani?

JosephTheLibertarian
09-26-2007, 10:36 PM

lol...

Abobo
09-26-2007, 10:37 PM

It's probably just someone living overseas, or someone with the military stationed there.

McDermit
09-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Maybe it was a college student here legally and still using a credit card issue in japan?

Reach for it! lol

JosephTheLibertarian
09-26-2007, 10:40 PM
maybe we'll see a beijing china, ny lol

born2drv
09-26-2007, 10:42 PM
are people overseas allowed to contribute? and are there limits??? i'm curious now....

Abobo
09-26-2007, 10:42 PM
maybe we'll see a beijing china, ny lol

My guess is it was "IN" for international.

Ron Paul Fan
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
are people overseas allowed to contribute? and are there limits??? i'm curious now....

They are if they're American citizens. I think we should encourage people in foreign countries to donate if they are legally able to. Thank you David Thayne for your generous donation! You are a true patriot and champion of liberty.

FrankRep
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM

You must be a US citizen to donate.

DjLoTi
09-26-2007, 10:45 PM
or have a greencard :)

JosephTheLibertarian
09-26-2007, 10:49 PM
You must be a US citizen to donate.

how would the FEC verify?

rajibo
09-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I found this:

http://www.quirkyjapan.or.tv/images/thaynearticle.htm

JosephTheLibertarian
09-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I found this:

http://www.quirkyjapan.or.tv/images/thaynearticle.htm

cool. I don't think we should contact him though. he might not donate again lol

Tuck
09-26-2007, 10:56 PM
LOL yea that last thing we need to do is stalk donors ;)

Paul4Prez
09-26-2007, 11:14 PM
What are the official daily totals so far? I thought it was around $90K on Monday, $210K on Tuesday, and $120K on Wednesday... Anyone have the actual totals at midnight Eastern time each day?

sixpackrt
09-26-2007, 11:49 PM
By RUSS BUETTNER and MARC SANTORA
Published: September 22, 2007

The intense pursuit of money in the presidential campaigns and the many wealthy Americans working at hedge funds and other businesses worldwide have led candidates to broaden fund-raising overseas, especially financial centers like London and Hong Kong.

This week, Rudolph W. Giuliani appeared at a fund-raiser at a hotel near Hyde Park in London. Mr. Giuliani is to be followed there next month by the spouses of Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois. This year, Mr. Obama joined financial supporters in Beijing via a videoconference to shake the overseas money tree.

Driven largely by Mr. Giuliani and Mr. Obama, contributions from American supporters in other countries are on pace to far exceed the sums raised overseas in the 2004 election.

By the end of June, the candidates had raised a combined total of $551,000 abroad, compared with $31,525 at the same point in 2003 and nearly $1 million for the entire election cycle.

The increase appears driven by factors like the ease of donating on the Internet, a diaspora among financial workers in an increasingly global economy and the unending needs of campaigns to cast as wide a net as possible.

“Given the expense of American presidential elections, every fund-raising opportunity is important, and you’ve got to take advantage of it,” Mr. Giuliani said after joining his donors for wine and salmon at the Mandarin Oriental in London.

Terry Nelson, a Republican strategist not working for any campaign, said that in previous elections a trip abroad might have been seen as too expensive and too taxing to be worth the journey. But, Mr. Nelson said, the hard and early charge of this political season may have changed that.

“We are now in the third quarter of what has been a very aggressive fund-raising cycle by all of the candidates, and there are only so many times you can go back to New York to do another event,” said Mr. Nelson, who worked on President Bush’s re-election campaign and, until this summer, Senator John McCain’s campaign.

Yet contributions from abroad continue to represent less than 1 percent of the total that the candidates have raised.

Raising money overseas is not without its perils. After the election in 1996, the Democratic Party and fund-raisers paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines after the Federal Election Commission ruled that the party had received more than $1 million in illegal contributions from Asians before the election.

Although the situations are not parallel, Mrs. Clinton’s opponents recently invoked the memory of that scandal when a major fund-raiser, Norman Hsu, who was born in Hong Kong, was arrested.

Federal prosecutors charged Mr. Hsu this week with bilking investors out of at least $60 million, some of which he used to reimburse contributors who made campaign donations at his request in violation of election law.

About half the money raised overseas by presidential candidates through June was from addresses in Britain. The second biggest source was France, $41,000, followed by China, $37,000; Japan, $31,000; and Switzerland, $27,000.

The totals could run higher, because campaigns do not uniformly identify foreign contributions, and donors living abroad may list a United States address.

Mr. Obama, who has raised more money from abroad than all other candidates, $251,000, appears to benefit from a successful Internet operation. His Beijing videoconference appears to have been a success. He has collected nearly $25,000 from donors in China, the most of all candidates.

Mr. Giuliani had raised the second most from overseas, at $121,550, even before his fund-raiser this week. Most of that came from London finance executives, including $11,300 from executives of Elliott Advisers, the London affiliate of a company owned by Paul E. Singer, a hedge fund executive who has been a main supporter and adviser for Mr. Giuliani.

In June, Mr. Giuliani’s London supporters gave a “kickoff” in which Mr. Giuliani participated using a videoconference.

The invitation to the London event showed an oddity of overseas fund-raising. Supporters were, of course, required to write checks of varying amounts depending on their interaction with the candidate. The invitation included an admonition in bold face type and capital letters to include with the R.S.V.P. a photocopy of a valid United States passport.

Federal election regulations, intended to prevent foreigners from influencing elections and policy, require that campaigns inquire about the citizenship of any contributor whom a “reasonable person” would suspect of not being a United States citizen.

The regulations specify situations that require campaigns to inquire about citizenship, including the use a foreign passport, making the contribution from a foreign bank or living abroad.

The regulations, which were more narrowly defined in the campaign finance reform act of 2002, leave open large possibilities. A foreigner could conceivably list a United States address that is not his own and not face further scrutiny.

Citizens of territories like American Samoa, Guam and the United States Virgin Islands fall into a middle ground. They cannot vote in presidential elections, but they can donate to presidential campaigns. And addresses from those places do not set off the requirement to ask about citizenship.

To prevent embarrassment, many campaigns hire companies to check donors’ backgrounds. Mr. Giuliani’s campaign said it relied on CMDI of Falls Church, Va., to review donors from overseas and domestically. The company, which has also been retrained by Mr. Cain and Mitt Romney’s campaigns, did not return telephone calls.

The 90 donors at Mr. Giuliani’s fund-raiser were required, if they had not already, to show their passports outside the ballroom. None seemed to mind.

Tim ********, a lawyer and Republican activist who organized the event, said he had no trouble filling the 90 seats.

“My wife and I lived in New York throughout the 90s,” when they became boosters of the mayor’s, Mr. ******** said.

“He has tremendous support here,” Mr. ******** added.

The invitation requested $1,000 donations for the luncheon, $2,300 for the luncheon and a photograph with Mr. Giuliani and a promise to raise $10,000 or more for a round-table with Mr. Giuliani.

Under federal law, individuals can contribute up to $2,300 each for both the primary and general elections.

Mr. Giuliani was joined on the stage by a granddaughter of Winston Churchill, Celia Sandys, surrounded by four American and four British flags. Ms. Sandys said Mr. Giuliani had been called “Churchill in a baseball cap.”

The two discussed leadership and the relationship between the United States and Britain before taking guests’ questions.

Janet Evans, a lawyer who has lived for years in London, said she was a member of Republicans Abroad. Once a month, about 50 members in London meet in a bar in South Kensington to discuss politics, Ms. Evans said.

She had heard about Mr. Giuliani’s fund-raiser through the group. Although she has not committed to a candidate, she said, Mr. Giuliani made a favorable impression.

“If it is a run against Hillary,” Ms. Evans said, “I think he is the only one who can beat her, because he is moderate on the social issues.”

Not everyone in attendance lived in London. Bruce S. Gelb, a longtime supporter of the mayor, flew from New York to support what he saw as an important trip, for the money and the symbolism.

“It is one way for him to make it clear he has one foot in America and another in the world,” Mr. Gelb said.

mport1
09-26-2007, 11:59 PM
The pace slowed today. We really have to pick it up tomorrow.

Thunderbolt
09-27-2007, 12:02 AM

TheIndependent
09-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Citizens of territories like American Samoa, Guam and the United States Virgin Islands fall into a middle ground. They cannot vote in presidential elections, but they can donate to presidential campaigns. And addresses from those places do not set off the requirement to ask about citizenship.

Anyone know anybody in any of these territories that could conceivably start up fundraising efforts?

libertythor
09-27-2007, 12:27 AM
For Guam, get in touch with members of the military that support Ron Paul. There are large bases there.

Puerto Rico is a large mother lode. We do need to get the website translated into Spanish. Not to pander to an ethnicity, but to reach Puerto Rico; over there Spanish is dominate, and the are American citizens by birth.

The campaign headquarters hasn't replied to my emails regarding this. I am willing to translate the entire site.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-27-2007, 12:29 AM
For Guam, get in touch with members of the military that support Ron Paul. There are large bases there.

Puerto Rico is a large mother lode. We do need to get the website translated into Spanish. Not to pander to an ethnicity, but to reach Puerto Rico; over there Spanish is dominate, and the are American citizens by birth.

The campaign headquarters hasn't replied to my emails regarding this. I am willing to translate the entire site.

maybe you should cordinate something with the "hispanics 4 ron paul" movement...