PDA

View Full Version : Cash Donations vs. Store Donations

RCA
09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm most likely going to make one more donation this quarter in the $50-$100 range. I'm trying to decide if the campaign would benefit more from straight cash or a store purchase like yard signs.

At first, one would think they would like cash more because there is zero cost for them. However, while something like yard signs would cost them a little, potentially they could bring in MORE money to the campaign via new supporters, whereas the cash won't. Any thoughts?

RonPaul2012grassroots
09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I have considerable grassroots experience from the very beginning with Perot Petition Committee, and based upon my in the loop experience my suggestion is to give to the campaign as the Spirit moves you, and don't ask for anything in return. One must bear in mind that 100% of what is spent at the official campaign store on goods is counted towards an individual's $2,300 limit. When you wish to utilize promotional items, go to the source and get the best value - compare our prices for bumper stickers, yard signs, buttons, lapel stickers, etc. and you will see that our prices are up to 50-70% less than the official campaign store.

Grassroots will always do a better, more efficient job on the local level in procurement and placement of materials than a centralized, national office hundreds or thousands of miles away.

mtmedlin
09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
I have considerable grassroots experience from the very beginning with Perot Petition Committee, and based upon my in the loop experience my suggestion is to give to the campaign as the Spirit moves you, and don't ask for anything in return. One must bear in mind that 100% of what is spent at the official campaign store on goods is counted towards an individual's $2,300 limit. When you wish to utilize promotional items, go to the source and get the best value - compare our prices for bumper stickers, yard signs, buttons, lapel stickers, etc. and you will see that our prices are up to 50-70% less than the official campaign store.

Grassroots will always do a better, more efficient job on the local level in procurement and placement of materials than a centralized, national office hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Usually, i agree with you but the self plugging is getting annoying. Overall it is MUCH better for RP's credibility to be able to list all sign purchases as contributions. Just think if all the signs that we have purchased were listed as contributions. He would easily be 5 million ahead of where he is now. No major media outlet is going to take him seriously until he raises the money.
Please buy everything that you can from the official site.

McDermit
09-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Have you considered doing large vinyl banners? There's currently NOWHERE to get them. I usually just buy in bulk directly from printers myself, but with banners, I could only use 2 or 3... and the premiums are ridiculous until you buy at least 2 dozen.

I have the feeling other people would buy them if available. (ie: Fred has a few different ones on his site, and they all look good.) They'd be perfect for rallies, fair booths, etc.

RCA
09-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I should have mentioned that I will definitely not be able to max out my contributions. I've donated $200 thus far directly to the campaign in cash. I will probably reach my personal limitation of $600-$700 by the primaries. That being said, I probably should buy from the campaign. Whereas people who are planning on maxing out should do so with cash contributions and buy the merchandise elsewhere.

RonPaul2012grassroots
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Have you considered doing large vinyl banners? There's currently NOWHERE to get them. I usually just buy in bulk directly from printers myself, but with banners, I could only use 2 or 3... and the premiums are ridiculous until you buy at least 2 dozen.

I have the feeling other people would buy them if available. (ie: Fred has a few different ones on his site, and they all look good.) They'd be perfect for rallies, fair booths, etc.

You know I looked into banners a couple of months ago, found a vendor with what I thought was a reasonably good price in bulk (meaning out of pocket on this end to get inventory, stretching resources even further than they already are), and then I came across this website which blew away anything I could do with two color banners - http://www.ronpaulbanners.com

I've been too busy to follow up with that couple, but you will note they haven't updated their blog section since August 10th, so I have no idea what the deal is. Why don't you make an inquiry? I referred someone I know to them who was wanting four color process, but he never gave me any feedback on the situation so I really don't have any more info than that.

If you get results, please post.

RonPaul2012grassroots
09-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Usually, i agree with you but the self plugging is getting annoying. Overall it is MUCH better for RP's credibility to be able to list all sign purchases as contributions. Just think if all the signs that we have purchased were listed as contributions. He would easily be 5 million ahead of where he is now. No major media outlet is going to take him seriously until he raises the money.
Please buy everything that you can from the official site.

Well sir, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I wonder what your experience in these matters is - what are you drawing upon to come to such conclusions???

I assert that you're guessing about things you are unfamiliar with.

You know, I am in all honestly generally a very humble human, and I really am uncomfortable persisting in bringing this to light, but this isn't my first rodeo. My actions in a third floor office of a building in the 2500 block of South I.H.35 at 4:45 PM on Friday, March 6, 1992 in Austin, Texas initiated the Perot Petition Committee. Critical mass for Perot was achieved within approximately 48 hours of the field activity on March 9, 1992. On Wednesday March 11 Perot instructed Anderson, Blahnik, and Holman to get with his attorney Tom Luce to form the PPC. A buddy and I opened the very first office of the PPC in the country in Austin on March 19; 30 days later we had over 1,500 local volunteers in our local office database, including all their names, spouses' names, addresses, phone numbers. These were all volunteers who either called the office or walked in. (We had a fully furnished, turn-key 3,000 s.f. office with 30 phones/lines in a Class A office building in a prime location; the 15 node 'puter network was brand new and a donation) There was no less than 15 volunteers in the office during business hours, and 2-3 dozen in the evening. We had local politicians dropping in literally hat in hand - they knew which way the wind was blowing. On May 11 we delivered 262,000 signatures (52K were required, we went for overkill 'just in case' - the Austin office directly submitted 26K signatures) on petitions to the Texas Secretary of State at rally after a parade down Congress Ave. to the Texas Capitol. (Please refer to the cover story of the May 17, 1992 issue of Time magazine - you will see some of the finest folks in the world on those pages, the Austin volunteers).

So based upon my experiences in my estimation I'm qualified to say, "I know what critical mass looks, feels, sounds, tastes, and smells like." And I have to tell you, the Ron Paul phenomena is nowhere near critical mass, at least that's my 'educated guess'.

Yes, some people may be 'annoyed', and yes, some may even be 'offended', but guess what - I DON'T CARE. We have a republic to save, so I suggest you suck it up.

Grassroots is going to win this, and if you think the campaign is going to win this, then IMO you're kidding yourself.

specsaregood
09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
So in a nutshell, if you are MAXED out on contributions you don't even have the legal option of purchasing materials directly from the campaign? Other than roundabout ways, such as setting up a PAC to purchase, etc.

OptionsTrader
09-26-2007, 11:35 PM
So in a nutshell, if you are MAXED out on contributions you don't even have the legal option of purchasing materials directly from the campaign? Other than roundabout ways, such as setting up a PAC to purchase, etc.

Or get married...

RonPaul2012grassroots
09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
So in a nutshell, if you are MAXED out on contributions you don't even have the legal option of purchasing materials directly from the campaign?

Yes, that is made abundantly clear on the official campaign store website:

Welcome to the Official Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Merchandise Store. An individual may contribute up to $2,300 per election. This limit includes contributions (as purchases) made through the official Ron Paul 2008 Store.

Our novelty items for the disenfranchised are novelty items because they are not intended for political use. Some folks like to collect political memorabilia, so we cater to collectors and aficionados. We have absolutely no control over their actions.

specsaregood
09-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Or get married...

Done. and she is maxed out as well. Guess I'll just keep buying from grassroots people.

mtmedlin
09-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Well sir, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I wonder what your experience in these matters is - what are you drawing upon to come to such conclusions???

I assert that you're guessing about things you are unfamiliar with.

You know, I am in all honestly generally a very humble human, and I really am uncomfortable persisting in bringing this to light, but this isn't my first rodeo. My actions in a third floor office of a building in the 2500 block of South I.H.35 at 4:45 PM on Friday, March 6, 1992 in Austin, Texas initiated the Perot Petition Committee. Critical mass for Perot was achieved within approximately 48 hours of the field activity on March 9, 1992. On Wednesday March 11 Perot instructed Anderson, Blahnik, and Holman to get with his attorney Tom Luce to form the PPC. A buddy and I opened the very first office of the PPC in the country in Austin on March 19; 30 days later we had over 1,500 local volunteers in our local office database, including all their names, spouses' names, addresses, phone numbers. These were all volunteers who either called the office or walked in. (We had a fully furnished, turn-key 3,000 s.f. office with 30 phones/lines in a Class A office building in a prime location; the 15 node 'puter network was brand new and a donation) There was no less than 15 volunteers in the office during business hours, and 2-3 dozen in the evening. We had local politicians dropping in literally hat in hand - they knew which way the wind was blowing. On May 11 we delivered 262,000 signatures (52K were required, we went for overkill 'just in case' - the Austin office directly submitted 26K signatures) on petitions to the Texas Secretary of State at rally after a parade down Congress Ave. to the Texas Capitol. (Please refer to the cover story of the May 17, 1992 issue of Time magazine - you will see some of the finest folks in the world on those pages, the Austin volunteers).

So based upon my experiences in my estimation I'm qualified to say, "I know what critical mass looks, feels, sounds, tastes, and smells like." And I have to tell you, the Ron Paul phenomena is nowhere near critical mass, at least that's my 'educated guess'.

Yes, some people may be 'annoyed', and yes, some may even be 'offended', but guess what - I DON'T CARE. We have a republic to save, so I suggest you suck it up.

Grassroots is going to win this, and if you think the campaign is going to win this, then IMO you're kidding yourself.

I can go off too and spout how I have worked on SUCCESSFUL campaigns like Jeb Bush, Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio and a few others. I could continue being an ass and mention that I have a degree in this subject and was offered a research position to continue my studies at the Doctoral level. I could mention but I am way too humble to say that I continue to work on campaigns as a PAID strategist and have done speech writing. Where I get annoyed is that a person continues to self promote at the degradation of the campaign. At this point, RP needs to be able to report as much money as possible. Buying products through his website will do this. Your very humble and completely selfless promotion of your products is in fact peeling off money that should go to his filing effort. So why don't you, send a list of all people who have spent money in your store to Ron Paul so that he can list all of it as an in kind donation. That would be the BEST outcome for the campaign. I know it would be allot of work but suck it up, I know your extremely humble self can do it.

PS. bragging about organizing a billionaires campaign isn't impressive in the political world. Just a hint for the next time you show your massive street cred.

micahnelson
09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Well.... Karl Rove taught me his voo doo power and James Carville is my uncle.... so...