PDA

View Full Version : Should our revolution culminate in restructuring Congress and other policies?

EvilEngineer
09-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but hearing about all of the crap that is being crammed through congress is really pissing me off. Our founding fathers tried to prevent the existence of a Democracy (mob rule) and an Oligarchy ( rule of elite)... both of which are currently present in Congress in place of a Republic.

I firmly believe our judicial branch should be involved in reviewing (not drafting mind you) bills before they are able to be signed into law. Right now we allow congress to pass laws into existence and we have to hope and pray that some judge somewhere will stand up and say NO... but this is AFTER the fact that the bill passed. I'm sick of these overnight bills that are hundreds of pages long that get snook through and passed due to lack of real oversight. IMO this process should be changed to protect the Republic.

Going further I think we the people should be allowed a more direct approach in the intervention in problems with the legislative / judicial / executive branch. Right now we have to hope and pray that we elect people of moral character, and that they keep their position once elected. In the case of Bush, and the Congress we continually see abuses of this trust and our hands are tied until the next election. I believe that we as a people should have the option to intervene and say STOP RIGHT NOW! This would expand the power of the people to control run-away governments and return the fear correctly to where it should be... the government should fear the people. Not vice versa.

EvilEngineer
09-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Also... I think we should restructure the term limit of the presidency. For good or bad I think we should expand the term of the presidency to 6 years, but limit it to ONE term and one term only.

Why?

Frankly first term presidents accomplish very little because from the moment they step into office they are already working on their re-election. They spend way too much time and our money on campaigning when they are suppose to be doing their job.

fsk
09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Does there come a point where you say "This economic and political system isn't working. It's time to try something else."? I think that's the direction this movement is headed.

DataSage
09-26-2007, 10:44 PM
NO. Absolutely not. What we need is a rollback to basic principles.

This is not the Soviet Union. We do not need an American version of "perestroika"--the globalists are already trying to do that to us with the NAU and trade agreements.

ctb619
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
How about we just insist on only electing candidates who follow the Constitution? There is no need for major restructuring.

EvilEngineer
09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I bring this up, simply because of the fact that obviously our system of checks and balances alone has failed to prevent the decline of our constitutional Republic into a Democracy that is quickly sliding into a fascist police state. While ultimately the blame can be attributed to stupid voters and their lack of interest in the political process, we obviously need something even above that to prevent a repeat of this in the future.

ctb619
09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
educating the populace and electing politicians who take their oath of office seriously.....beyond that, plan B

drpiotrowski
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
How about we just insist on only electing candidates who follow the Constitution? There is no need for major restructuring.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I think (hope) under a Ron Paul presidency, the oath of office would start gaining merit and importance.

As head of the executive branch and president of the federation, I have no doubt Dr. Paul would place a heavy emphasis on officially pointing out public servants in the legislature as well as the judicial branch who do not uphold their oath of office. It would then be the duty of the people to impeach or recall these officials.

Hopefully, once people experience the benefit that liberty brings, they'll naturally want to keep it that way by electing liberty minded officials.

drpiotrowski
09-26-2007, 11:01 PM
I bring this up, simply because of the fact that obviously our system of checks and balances alone has failed to prevent the decline of our constitutional Republic into a Democracy that is quickly sliding into a fascist police state. While ultimately the blame can be attributed to stupid voters and their lack of interest in the political process, we obviously need something even above that to prevent a repeat of this in the future.

Perhaps an amendment for an explicit call for impeachment to those who violate their oath of office.

Any system of checks and balances still requires the citizenry to be part of the checking. Our constitution, perhaps, put too much faith in the system of oaths. The seriousness of them needs to be made more clear.

RP4ME
09-26-2007, 11:27 PM
What about the "4th branch of Govt" How woudl taht work and be and accomplished per the Constiution?

JosephTheLibertarian
09-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I think congress should go back to voting for the state senators