PDA

View Full Version : Captain Parker, sign dog, bit by Rattlesnake

TruckinMike
09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/1357268144_4de0fb1c92_b.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1358/1346606003_90a851a622_b.jpg

Captain Parker, Ron Paul supporter, lover of Freedom, and sign dog, was bitten by a large rattlesnake this evening at approximately 7:40pm in New Braunfels, Tx.
Parker was frolicking in the tall Johnson grass along side my favorite walking path, just north east of town. The vet thinks with anti-venom treatments, supportive care, and some luck, he should be ok. And from Parkers condition, 20 minutes after the bite, he believes that the snake may not have injected a full dose of venom. However, Parker is only 22 weeks old and 26 lbs, As a result, he will be in a tough battle, fighting for his life.
To give you an idea of the snakes size, the fang punctures were 1.5 inches apart, it was a big snake.

I'll keep you posted.

TruckinMike

Dustancostine
09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
I hope he pulls through.

transistor
09-26-2007, 07:53 PM
that's so sad. beautiful dog

JoshLowry
09-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Best of luck Captain!

Mr. White
09-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Damn snakes for Rudy, he's pandering to the rattlers.

Corydoras
09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Take good care of yourself, Mike, while you are going through this. Beautiful pup... has the resilience of youth on his side... best wishes to you both.

MsDoodahs
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I'll keep you and the pup in my prayers.

jonahtrainer
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
The vet thinks with anti-venom treatments, supportive care, and some luck, he should be ok. And from Parkers condition, 20 minutes after the bite, he believes that the snake may not have injected a full dose of venom. However, Parker is only 22 weeks old and 26 lbs, As a result, he will be in a tough battle, fighting for his life.
To give you an idea of the snakes size, the fang punctures were 1.5 inches apart, it was a big snake.

I'll keep you posted.

TruckinMike

My dog got bit and the anti-venom cost $500. She got bit a second time so we only bought half the anti-venom. The third time the dog that isn't worth a nickel got bit we just let her limp around til she got better. She is immune to snake venom now.

Anyway, hope your dog is worth the anti-venom and gets better. Keep up the good work!

ksuguy
09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I hope he gets better. I'd be really upset if my dog got bit by a snake.

Stealth4
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Get Better!

Chester Copperpot
09-26-2007, 08:40 PM
I thoight Captain Parker was a human at first.. Thats a cool name for a pup. heh

McDermit
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Awww, he looks like an awesome pup. That first pic is great! I really hope he gets better with the quickness.

Brian
09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Fight the venom Captain ! I know you don't feel well, but it will make you stronger !

lucius
09-26-2007, 11:00 PM
After he gets better, no unnecessary surgeries for a year, we lost a wonderful golden retriever who got bit by a almost 10 foot western diamondback, got better and then died after neutering seven months later. He looked better, but he wasn’t. Fortunately, your snake sounds like it was big one as well and they are far more judicious with their venom than the more poisonous inject-all young ones. My thoughts are with you…

McDermit
09-26-2007, 11:09 PM
:(

Neutering is terrible. We just did it to my ktten recently, and I'd never ever ever everrrrrrr put an animal through that again. They sent him home immediately after surgery, and it was seriously the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. It was like having a real life bobble head doll... that walked in circles for hours while crying and walking into walls.

Shatterhand
09-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Beautiful Dog!

jacmicwag
09-26-2007, 11:17 PM
My black lab, at that age, almost lost her tongue to a snapping turtle. She came through fine and never messed with turtles after that incident. These dogs are tough as nails so I bet he'll do OK.

Corydoras
09-26-2007, 11:21 PM
They sent him home immediately after surgery, and it was seriously the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. It was like having a real life bobble head doll... that walked in circles for hours while crying and walking into walls.

That was the general anesthesia, not the spaying itself.

kylejack
09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Ferrets kill rattlesnakes. Guess who hates ferrets?

Good luck to your pup.

McDermit
09-26-2007, 11:49 PM
That was the general anesthesia, not the spaying itself.

In any event, I would never put another animal through it unless absolutely medically necessary. Nearly a week later, he still isn't walking right and sits with his ass in the air. It's definitely bugging him.

He's an inside cat.. doesn't go out at all. And we don't have any other animals. There was no reason to get him done, but the ex wanted it because "it's what you do with cats." :rolleyes:

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 02:16 AM
In any event, I would never put another animal through it unless absolutely medically necessary. Nearly a week later, he still isn't walking right and sits with his ass in the air. It's definitely bugging him.

He's an inside cat.. doesn't go out at all. And we don't have any other animals. There was no reason to get him done, but the ex wanted it because "it's what you do with cats." :rolleyes:

You should take him back to a vet. I'm not sure if I would take him back to the same one you used for the neutering, either. Your cat shouldn't be doing this. Seriously.

BTW, if you don't neuter male cats, they are going to be going around your house spraying everything. It's not pleasant. Neutering should not have been a big deal. For one, it sounds like your vet over-anesthetized your cat. If your cat is still walking strange, there is a problem. Take him in.

LizF
09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
What a beautiful dog TruckinMike! And a Ron Paul supporter to boot. :)

I hope he gets better as soon as possible.

LizF
09-27-2007, 02:38 AM
You should take him back to a vet. I'm not sure if I would take him back to the same one you used for the neutering, either. Your cat shouldn't be doing this. Seriously.

BTW, if you don't neuter male cats, they are going to be going around your house spraying everything. It's not pleasant. Neutering should not have been a big deal. For one, it sounds like your vet over-anesthetized your cat. If your cat is still walking strange, there is a problem. Take him in.

I agree. I know someone who had their cat neutered recently. The worst part of the recovery was that the cat had to be separated from the other cats in the house for a few days to minimize the risk of infection, etc. However, less than a week later, I think he was doing just fine.

empirenine
09-27-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm sending my love your pup's way. I'd rather hear of a human getting bit, to be perfectly honest. Dogs are my happy place.

jonahtrainer
09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Ferrets kill rattlesnakes. Guess who hates ferrets?

Good luck to your pup.

Our guinea pigs hated our ferrets cause they were lunch!

CoreyBowen999
09-27-2007, 07:27 AM
That looks exactly like my dog! hope he gets better

TruckinMike
09-27-2007, 07:45 AM
GOOD News! Captain Parker made it through the night. The vet has taken him off the IV, and will remain off if he eats and drinks today. He's urinating ok and the swelling is about the same. The bad news is that my wife and I are not allowed to see him. They want him to remain at ease and calm, they said seeing us will cause him to get too excited, especially when we leave.

And thank you all. If Capt. Parker ever has a chance to meet you, expect a hardy lick of appreciation.:p

I'll keep you posted.

TruckinMike

silverhandorder
09-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Great news :D

devil21
09-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Looks exactly like mine too! Hope he recovers quickly :(
Truckin, what is the breed lineage? My girl is half pit bull but I cant figure out the other half. Is that lab?

libertarian4321
09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
GOOD News! Captain Parker made it through the night. The vet has taken him off the IV, and will remain off if he eats and drinks today. He's urinating ok and the swelling is about the same. The bad news is that my wife and I are not allowed to see him. They want him to remain at ease and calm, they said seeing us will cause him to get too excited, especially when we leave.

And thank you all. If Capt. Parker ever has a chance to meet you, expect a hardy lick of appreciation.:p

I'll keep you posted.

TruckinMike

Excellent- it'll probably just be a matter of time until he's back to normal now that the crisis period has passed.

My 3 dogs also support Ron Paul! Now I just need to buy one of those "Ron Paul" dog shirts from cafepress so they can advertise when I walk them...

dsentell
09-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Hang in there Captain Parker !! We are all pulling for you!!

TruckinMike
09-27-2007, 09:19 AM
what is the breed lineage?

He is a Lab- Border collie mix. An old Rancher was giving puppies away under an over pass just outside Corpus Christi. He said that Parker's mother was the best cow dog that he has ever had. And I can attest that he is a very fast learner. He sits, stays, fetches, goes left,right, and back with command. And even runs and jumps to snatch a toy or treat from my hand.

He is a very good and loving pooch. He just loves running through dew covered tall grass with a large gate and a big smile... His second favorite thing to do is to run zippity zig zags through shallow water creek beds in the Texas hill country. I may be wrong... running through the creek beds may be his favorite.:rolleyes:

Truckinmike

Bryan
09-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Please keep us posted on his status, he sounds like a great friend. We are pulling for you Captain!

devil21
09-27-2007, 09:32 AM
He is a Lab- Border collie mix. An old Rancher was giving puppies away under an over pass just outside Corpus Christi. He said that Parker's mother was the best cow dog that he has ever had. And I can attest that he is a very fast learner. He sits, stays, fetches, goes left,right, and back with command. And even runs and jumps to snatch a toy or treat from my hand.

He is a very good and loving pooch. He just loves running through dew covered tall grass with a large gate and a big smile... His second favorite thing to do is to run zippity zig zags through shallow water creek beds in the Texas hill country. I may be wrong... running through the creek beds may be his favorite.:rolleyes:

Truckinmike

Thanks! I think that after nearly 3 years I can say my girl is a pit/lab mix for sure.

Dary
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Captain Parker looks to be a bit of a ham too.

I swear to god that these guys know what it means to have their picture taken. I once had a good friend of the canine species that I swear would actually pose whenever I got the camera out to take his picture.

What a ham he was. I still miss him so much.

Get better soon Captain. The revolution needs you.

lucius
09-27-2007, 09:36 AM

Truckinmike

Working dogs are tough, especially cattle dogs. I had a blue healer. One day jumping a fence, he got his testicles caught on the top wire. We stitched him up, kept cat-gut in the fridge, and he was fine...later when he jumped fences, he would clear them by about four feet, looked like he was part kangaroo--I cracked up every time I saw him jump a fence after that.

TruckinMike
09-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Captain Parker is back at home recuperating. The vet made two drainage incisions. One at the bite itself and one just opposite the bite. Captain Parker is tired, but happy to be home.http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1245/1453658038_2be39e6286_b.jpg

While at the vet I found out about the Rattlesnake vaccine. It appears to lesson the severity of the bite enough to not have the expensive anti-venom treatments. Here is the linkhttp://www.redrockbiologics.com/

Anyway, all is well, Parker seems to be taking it in stride. I'll keep you posted.

And watch for snakes while posting RP signs.

Note: This weekend there is a coordinated effort by Ron Paul Meetup groups around the country to "Paint the Town Ron". People all over America are going to heavily plaster their cities with Ron Paul signs and stickers. Get Involved, Parker will be helping, I hope you will too. And BTW, how many signs have you pledged to put up? 10, 20, however many it is... Just Get'em up!

http://www.paintthetownron.com/

Truckinmike

LizF
09-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm so glad Captain Parker is home, but yowza what a bite! :eek: :( I hope he's not in too much pain.

Chester Copperpot
09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Yay for Captain Parker... "..But if they want to have a war let it begin here."

MsDoodahs
09-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Get well soon, Capt'n!

:)

Shatterhand
09-28-2007, 04:36 PM
How is Captain Parker doing? :)

SouthernGuy15
09-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I hope your dog recovers quickly.

angelatc
09-28-2007, 04:50 PM

Neutering is terrible. We just did it to my ktten recently, and I'd never ever ever everrrrrrr put an animal through that again. They sent him home immediately after surgery, and it was seriously the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. It was like having a real life bobble head doll... that walked in circles for hours while crying and walking into walls.

Then you really should adopt animals that are already fixed. Neutering is uncomfortable, but 10,000,000 animals are put to sleep every year, largely due to the fact that people don't spay and neuter their critters.

angelatc
09-28-2007, 04:52 PM

He looks exactly like one of my dogd too.

I hope he is better.

TruckinMike
09-28-2007, 07:02 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1413/1454942707_5f4cece81a.jpg

It looks like we'll have to make another trip to the vet. Parker has a large amount of fluid build up on his shoulder/chest area. I'm sure the vet will make another drainage incision. --- But other than that, he seems to be toughing it out. Drinking, eating, and wagging his tail. No cat or chicken chasing, but I'm sure he'll be back at that soon enough.

Truckinmike

PS- get those signs out, tomorrow is the big day:D
http://www.paintthetownron.com/

TruckinMike
09-29-2007, 12:18 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1309/1459467744_fa0d27c2d6_o.jpg
The vet placed another incision on his upper inner portion of his leg for more fluid drainage. But his spirits are high, even after having a razor blade slice through his very sore leg. But as you can see Capt. Parker is slowly getting his groove back. He is ready to start "painting the town Ron".:p

TruckinMike

Shatterhand
09-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm very glad that Captain Parker is doing better and better.

Just wondering if Captain Parker will become the official or unofficial mascot for the Ron Paul campaign? In my opinion he already is the unofficial mascot of the Ron Paul forums.

Would the campaign ever put a picture of Captain Parker on the official site along with his story if they had a chance after the Q3 crunch?

Anyway, thank you for sharing his story with us along with all the great photos.

LizF
09-30-2007, 04:53 AM

Just wondering if Captain Parker will become the official or unofficial mascot for the Ron Paul campaign? In my opinion he already is the unofficial mascot of the Ron Paul forums.

Would the campaign ever put a picture of Captain Parker on the official site along with his story if they had a chance after the Q3 crunch?

Anyway, thank you for sharing his story with us along with all the great photos.

Cool idea. I see similarities between RP & CP:

--Both have dealt w/snakes of one ilk or another (RP in the political arena; CP in the grass), and both seem to be doing well now, despite the attacks they've undergone
--They have the support of many on this forum
--Both are quite adorable
--Both will continue to inspire us!

:D

Ozwest
09-30-2007, 05:10 AM

Yeah... Keep us updated on the "Life and Times" of Captain Parker.

TooConservative
09-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Great thread. Love the whole Captain Parker, the Sign Dog bit. The Captain is so heroic, he should have a cape.

libertarian4321
09-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Went out and put up some signs and a bunch of Ron Paul bumper stickers yesterday.

Its not just good for Ron, its good exercise too.

I'll pop a few aspirin and do the same today...

walt
09-30-2007, 06:22 AM
I think the New York Times has someone on the way to do a cover story!

Wait, er no, they'll black this out too...

Man from La Mancha
09-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Intravenous drip of vitamin c of up to a 10 or more grams will neutralize the poison or orally
http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/vitc.htm

http://www.orthomed.com/index2.htm

TruckinMike
09-30-2007, 02:03 PM
La Mancha... thanks for the tip. I'm going to administer vitamin C. TODAY.

and

...here is a little history on Captain Parker
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Minuteman-250px.jpg

I named my patriotic pooch after the late Captain John Parker of the Lexington Militia. Here is a little history...(the morning after Paul Revere's ride)

John Parker (July 13, 1729 – September 17, 1775) was an American farmer, mechanic, and soldier, who commanded the Lexington militia at the Battle of Lexington on April 19, 1775. Parker was born in Lexington to Josiah Parker and Anne Stone. His experience as a soldier in the French and Indian War (Seven Years War) at the Siege of Louisbourg and conquest of Quebec most likely led to his election as militia captain by the men of the town.

He was in poor health from consumption (tuberculosis) on the morning of April 19. Tradition reports his order at Lexington Green to be "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." He witnessed his cousin Jonas Parker killed by a British bayonet. Later that day he rallied his men to attack the regulars returning to Boston in an ambush known as "Parker's Revenge."

http://appleseedinfo.org/pics/banner.gif

I belong to a Historical/marksmanship group that gathers to remember the history and heritage of our founding fathers. The "Revolutionary War Veterans Association" holds a nationwide rifle marksmanship clinic throughout the lower 48. The RWVA honors our founders through words and actions by holding a Two-day marksmanship event known as the "Appleseed Shoot". It begins with a motivational speech on the history of our patriotic founders. The ones that "stood their Ground" against the gun grabbing, overbearing British of April 19th, 1775. Remember "the shot heard 'round the world", well, this is that day.
And after the history lesson, we proceed into the basics of rifle marksmanship. The clinic lasts for two full days. The goal is to create a nation of Riflemen. The Rifleman can consistently take out a 4 MOA (Minute of Angle) target at 500 yards, in a rapid fire cadence. 1 Shot every 2-3 seconds. A Rifleman not only can shoot, but also knows his/her history as well. Its all apart of Saving America, the end goal of the RWVA.http://appleseedinfo.org/

A good book... Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer

TruckinMike

MsDoodahs
09-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Mike, how's Captain Parker doing today?

TruckinMike
09-30-2007, 04:55 PM
The Parker Report

Parker is feeling better, but he is still very sore. However, I should call him Hop-a-long, because he has been hopping around everywhere. His skin is starting to really slough off, and in large areas surrounding the leg. But the good news is a thin bit of skin membrane is already starting to close over the sloughed areas.

I think he's coming along great, considering the severity of the bite.

Truckinmike

Man from La Mancha
09-30-2007, 05:35 PM
This herbal farm repair solution seems awsome and I have some for emergency use but I have not tried it yet. Maybe this could also help? Good luck:)

http://www.schreiners.com/wound_care.html

http://www.schreiners.com/reba_s_story.html

http://www.schreiners.com/reba-day1.jpgday one http://www.schreiners.com/reba-week-6.jpg6 week later

We created this site in response to the large number of calls we receive concerning basic wound management. Our intent is to show you, in pictorial form, and yes somewhat graphically, what a wound should look like while it is healing properly. With that knowledge, it is our hope that you can proceed with confidence, as you take on the majority of the responsibility for treating your animals.

After the decision has been made to "stitch or not to stitch," treatment of most types of wounds is the same - thoroughly clean the wound and then dress it properly. If the wound is large, deep, or contaminated, antibiotics may be required to fight infection within. Tetanus toxoid or antitoxin injections are also recommended.

When in doubt, consult your veterinarian!

A "healing environment" is created when the wound is clean and the natural flora, necessary for cell regeneration, is not destroyed through the use of harsh chemicals or antibiotic treatments. We do not recommend using any other topicals in conjuction with SCHREINER’S® because their chemical nature can actually inhibit the healing process.

Wrapping the wound may be necessary, particularly in the early phase of treatment or if there is bleeding. It is critical that the wound be allowed to "breathe." If you must bandage, use gauze and porous tape, and do not wrap the wound so tight as to prevent adequate circulation.

The wounds we treated on these pages were thoroughly washed, using cold water under pressure, to remove any scab and discharge. SCHREINER’S® was applied liberally to the wound and surrounding area twice daily. Spraying the surrounding area soothes the trauma and helps to keep the flies away.

Every third or fourth day the wound was again thoroughly cleansed with cold water under pressure (a garden hose with a nozzle attached works great) and any new scab was removed.

We continued this treatment through about six or eight weeks, when the wound area began to look more like a superficial problem. We then finished up by simply applying SCHREINER’S® daily until the area was totally healed and the hair returned.

TruckinMike
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
The Parker Report

bad news... My previous report indicated that Parker had some thin skin growth. I was mistaken. After I gave Parker his Warm water rinse, the sloughed area began falling away to a great extent. The "membrane" that I reported seeing simply fell away exposing decaying muscle tissue. It looks like the venom has destroyed a significant portion of his muscle tissue as well. I would post a close up pic, but I might get censored for graphic material thats inappropriate for this forum.

Other than that... he seems to be quite spunky and happy.

La MAncha... Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out that sight. Sad to say, That horse leg doesn't look to much different from Parkers. :eek:

Truckinmike

ksuguy
10-01-2007, 01:25 PM
I hope he gets better. It would really suck if he has ends up losing a leg over it. Dogs can usually get around ok on 3, but I hope he doesn't have to.

Lady Liberty
10-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I'll keep Captain Parker in my prayers! What a cutie. Anybody else have pups that campaign for Paul? I bet Parker would feel better if he saw other pups working hard on the campaign tail...errr trail..I know I would! ^_^

Get better soon!

TruckinMike
10-02-2007, 11:12 AM
The Parker Report

This is my first full day away from Captain Parker. I'm taking a load to Michigan, without my little buddy. It'll be a bit lonely, but I can manage. My wife, Kristi, says that he misses me, and he is doing alright. Ahhww:p

More skin and flesh is sloughing away, but pink healthy flesh is apparent.

Truckinmike

Wendi
10-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Neutering is terrible. We just did it to my ktten recently, and I'd never ever ever everrrrrrr put an animal through that again.

I hope you don't plan on owning anymore cats, then. I get tired of raising the kittens created by ignorant neighbors who won't take care of their pets :mad:

TruckinMike
10-04-2007, 07:48 PM
The Parker Report

My wife took little Parker to the vet at 2:30pm.
After looking Parker over, the vet said that Parker may need to be "put Under" for removal of large amounts of decaying flesh and skin.

In the end, Parker got to go back home, Zombie fleshed and all. This is a very severe case. Parker is lucky to be alive... and he is especially lucky, or as my wife would remind me, blessed, to still have his front leg.

Maybe I can get my wife to take pictures for posterity's sake.:eek:

Truckinmike

Too bad Parker's not with me, I think I've been neglecting my sign duties. Taking him for a walk provides the perfect opportunity. And some company... whoa is me:(

Corydoras
10-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for updating us! He really is lucky... in more than one way... such as, having such caring people!

BW4Paul
10-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh golly, TruckinMike, I'm so sorry that Parker is going through all of this! You are both in my thoughts. :o

pennycat
10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Said my prayer.

Copperhed51
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Argh, get better Parker!!!

Hey TruckinMike, I made a youtube video a while back and I think you might be in it. Is it you at 2:53 in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWmWlhBtA-w

TruckinMike
10-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, thats me...and Parker:D . You can see his eyes glowing. He is sitting right under me.

TruckingMike

Copperhed51
10-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Haha, didn't realize he was down there. Hope you don't mind me using your pic.

Chester Copperpot
10-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I Called my dog Captain Parker today.. He actually came to me. hehe

TruckinMike
10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
The Parker Report:

...for now Parker is really back to normal. At least while looking at his disposition and overall attitude. My wife took him on her morning walk to the park. And he had a great time. -- he doesn't know his leg is rotting off.:eek:

Note: The dead flesh is dead, thus he is not in pain.:)

Truckin' Mike

and

Haha, didn't realize he was down there. Hope you don't mind me using your pic. Heck no... I sent the link to my friends:D

RP4ME
10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Lil doggie was bit for a good cause - here's to yoru pups constinues recovery!!!

TruckinMike
10-05-2007, 08:00 PM
the Parker Report:

Parker is going to get to spend the weekend with my MOM! Yeepee... he loves it there. He can Jump on the couch, lay on the carpet, play with her house cats and then run outside through the doggie door!!!:p

He is doing very well. But you wouldn't think that way by looking at him. In Fact some folks may pass out from the sight, or maybe hurl, who knows... but oh well, thats their prob.:D

Mike

ForLibertyFight
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I hate snakes more than anything.

TruckinMike
10-06-2007, 06:11 PM
The Parker report

Good News...

I spoke with Captain Parker today, sort of, he didn't have much to say. ;) However, he has been having a blast with his good buddy "Buster", a miniature schnouser. They have been playing chase all day at my mom's house.:p

TruckinMike

Corydoras
10-06-2007, 07:40 PM
This is excellent news. Thank you for keeping us updated!

TruckinMike
10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
The Parker Report:

The Captain had a great time at his friend, buster's house. My wife picked him up around 9pm ... lots licks and kisses were given... They were both happy to see each other. Parkers leg appears to be healing by the minute. The muscle tissue is already showing signs of growth, and the skin on the outer edges is very slightly closing in. So thats good to hear. I'm still concerned about there not being enough skin to cover the tissue... If thats the case... i don't know what to do..

I'll skin that cat when I get to it.

Truckinmike

Corydoras
10-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Skin will grow back. Just give it time.

Happy for you he's doing so well.

TruckinMike
10-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I hope you are right. Its such a large area. It makes you question... is it possible? But then again, it is starting to grow inward. If it keeps going I guess it'll make it.

Thanks for encouragement... :)

Truckinmike

Original_Intent
10-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Dogs are pertty resilient. We ahd one that I think must have tangled with a bobcat - came home all tore up, major chunks of his foreleg and chest were missing Got him sewn up and he always had those big chunks missing but never acted like he missed them much. I mean eve nyears later you would look at him and say "HOW is that dog OK?" because of the chunks missing out of him but he always acted healthy as a horse and never seemed to be in pain or anything.

Bradley in DC
10-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Mike,

I've been meaning to post on this thread for a while. My heart goes out to you. My dogs, then housemate and I were attacked by a pit bull for nearly half an hour in January. Here are some pics of the dogs soon after the attack and ridiculous pics of me then too:

http://www.well.com/user/declan/pitbull/

I had stitches in my ear, behind my ear and on my chin, my arm was in a splint and I was on Oxycontin for a few months. The dogs were hospitalized, etc. We've all recovered completely physically (the dogs are still more shy with energetic dogs they dont know). It'll take some time.

Best
Bradley in DC, Calista and Zoppo

Corydoras
10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
The reason it looks so bad is because the skin is actually gone. With a cut, there is still enough skin to close back up and cover the exposed flesh. With an open wound, the skin has to actually grow back and cover the open area. Of course that takes more time than the body "sewing" a cut together. So be encouraged!

Hook
10-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Mike,

I've been meaning to post on this thread for a while. My heart goes out to you. My dogs, then housemate and I were attacked by a pit bull for nearly half an hour in January. Here are some pics of the dogs soon after the attack and ridiculous pics of me then too:

http://www.well.com/user/declan/pitbull/

I had stitches in my ear, behind my ear and on my chin, my arm was in a splint and I was on Oxycontin for a few months. The dogs were hospitalized, etc. We've all recovered completely physically (the dogs are still more shy with energetic dogs they dont know). It'll take some time.

Best
Bradley in DC, Calista and Zoppo

Did the Pit Bull get put down? I never understood why people even want that breed.
If a dog is attacking you, can you tackle it and put it in a headlock?

TruckinMike
10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
I made it home early this afternoon, My wife and I took Parker to the Sonic drive-in, he loves their popcorn chicken. Then we went to Cypress park, on the river. He likes it there. There is a gravel beach with shallow clear water for him to tromp and play in.:p

When we got back home we gave his wound the daily washing and medicating.Thats when I took these pictures.:eek:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/1520210226_8b44891ef1_b.jpg

It looks bad, but he's back to his old self. He has a slight limp. Other than that, he appears to be healing.

Its still hard to believe that the skin will grow back... but I guess so.

Truckinmike

ronpaulhawaii
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Aloha Mike,

Love your shame thread... wish they didn't exist!

The wound is a healthy color. I'm no expert, but life has remarkable healing power. Glad he seems to be getting back to his ol self. The happier he is the quicker he will heal. Laughter remains the best medicine. Great to see the concern for your little buddy.

m

MsDoodahs
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
It will. Granulation. Big wounds like that heal from the inside out.

Glad to hear he's getting back to his old self. VERY good news!

Shatterhand
10-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Captain Parker is definitely the most charming Ron Paul supporter out there.

jpa
10-08-2007, 11:30 PM
so glad he is getting better!

Man from La Mancha
10-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Just curious, did you ever order thehttp://www.schreiners.com/wound_care.html ? They also sell it in many feed stores.

richard1984
10-08-2007, 11:42 PM
This is the first time I've seen this thread. I'm glad that Captain is doing better! He's beautiful. :D

But man...that was a big ass snake. 1.5'' between the fangs means he was pretty damn thick. Do you know what kind of rattler is was?

lapi7
10-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Such a beautiful puppy...I'm so glad that he's through this horrible ordeal.
He's got great parents too...:)

angelatc
10-09-2007, 05:13 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1309/1459467744_fa0d27c2d6_o.jpg
The vet placed another incision on his upper inner portion of his leg for more fluid drainage. But his spirits are high, even after having a razor blade slice through his very sore leg. But as you can see Capt. Parker is slowly getting his groove back. He is ready to start "painting the town Ron".:p

TruckinMike

Looks like he thought you said "panting the town..."

I'm very glad that he's doing so well. You and your wife did a great job nursing him back to health. I can't imagine what that wound must have looked like.

PIt bulls" I've heard they're virtually impossible to pull off because they have ,like, 500 lbs of pressure when they bite.

Jared Callanan
10-09-2007, 06:15 AM
God Speed.. Beautiful Dog. I got a Yellow Lab named "Boggs" (big red sox fan) who is definitely pulling for ya too!

TruckinMike
10-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Yes to schreiners...(waiting for it)

What kind of Rattlesnake??
It was most likely a short and fat western diamond back. Thats what we have around here. Big ones have been known to get 4" in diameter, only 3-5 feet long, and with great big heads.

Thanks for your concerns and well wishes, Parker really appreciates it, and we do to.:D

TruckinMike and Kristi

TruckinMike
10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Back to the scene of the crime...:eek:

We went on our little walk this morning, back to "Rattlesnake Road". Everything went alright, we kept Parker out of the tall grass. We're still a bit paranoid. He had a blast.:D He loves going on walks.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2145/1524213879_7bafb2e76a_b.jpg

I killed, skinned and ate the snake in the picture. He came from our back yard. Mighty good eaten'. If you've never had Rattlesnake, make a trip to Sweetwater,Tx for their annual Rattlesnake Round-up. They have all sorts of Rattlesnake dishes to try... Yum Yum!!:D

Oh yeah, thats our barn kitty that Parker is playing with. Its a great Barn cat, it has already killed one egg sucking snake...Chicken/rat snake. "Barn Kitty" gets along great with the chickens too.

Truckinmike

Shatterhand
10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Is Captain Parker's story along with pics going on the Daily Paul? :confused: :confused:

Everyone loves dog stories. :)

chon
10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
maybe a nice Ron Paul Bandage could cover his leg keep it clean it stylin!!

TruckinMike
10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Speaking of stylin'..

I was thinking of making him a vest out of the snake skin... I think that would be poetic justice. And I might even throw in a pair of doggie shades for the finishing touches of cool.

Don Johnson, eat your heart out:D

Truckinmike

Corydoras
10-09-2007, 11:50 PM
To my non-doctor non-nurse eye, that wound looks like it is healing nicely. Good clean edges and the skin coming in. Slow but clean.

TruckinMike
10-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Capt. Parker is Going with me to Florida. He's back in the Saddle again!:D

Truckinmike

LizF
10-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Capt. Parker is Going with me to Florida. He's back in the Saddle again!:D

Truckinmike

Yay...what a cool dog! :)

TruckinMike
10-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes, Captain Parker is back in business!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2017/1544055069_1838489e24_b.jpg

"You can't Let a little 'Ol Rattlesnake bite get you down, that flesh'll grow back. You know our fore fathers went into battle with frozen bloodied paws, the least we could do is put a few signs up everyday...Right?" -- Capt. Parker of the Ron Paul Sign Militia

davidkachel
10-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Buy that pup a pistol and teach him to shoot!

TruckinMike
10-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Parker appears to be healing as expected. This picture was taken 15 minutes ago. You will notice the skin is growing inward, closing the wound. Its slow but it is healing.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2070/1599347195_046fb8fe00.jpg

And this pic is right after I sprayed his medication on. The garbage bag is to keep him from licking it off.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2316/1599133675_d5cf78bd10.jpg

I'll keep you updated..

Truckinmike

kylejack
10-17-2007, 07:38 AM
That's one adorable pup. He can truly hang ten.

alien
10-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Glad he is fine!!!!!!!!!! I have a couple of pupps too. They are my life, my wife too of course!!!!!!

TruckinMike
10-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Captain Parker Update:

You can see the pink skin closing in on the wound

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/1778154229_4684afa371_b.jpg

and he feels fit as a fiddle... you tell by his ambition:)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/1778154255_cfc0cba123_b.jpg

me3
10-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Great Dog Mike. Hope he continues to heal quickly.

Shatterhand
10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Captain Parker is cool.

:cool::cool::cool:

Dan Klaus
10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
good luck buddy...new braunfels native here....snakes everywhere this time of year..

sylvania
10-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Your dog is adorable. What is that thing on the back of the truck, that giant yellow pressurized container? It reminds me of some of the things the Ice Road Truckers would carry to the diamond mines in Canada. (That show always had me on the edge of my seat - I was so sure the ice would crack and they would go right through to the freezing water below.)

TruckinMike
10-27-2007, 06:43 PM
What is that thing on the back of the truck, that giant yellow pressurized container?

Its a Varoc dynamometer. The containers are both the VAROC-250 and VAROC-35.

VAROC® Air Dynamometer

The VAROC Air Dynamometer is used by military and commercial organizations throughout the world and has established a new standard for testing aircraft and industrial gas-turbine engines. Two models, the VAROC-250 and VAROC-35, provide an accurate, easy to use, easy to maintain, compact, lightweight, portable, and highly reliable test capability to measure the performance of over forty turboshaft engines that range from 50 hp to 25,000 hp.

It tests the Horsepower output of jet engines.

TruckinMike

Hook
10-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Its a Varoc dynamometer. The containers are both the VAROC-250 and VAROC-35.

It tests the Horsepower output of jet engines.

TruckinMike

Too bad you can't hook one of those 25,000 HP turboshaft jets to your semi. That'd make quick work out of your runs. :cool:

newmedia4ron
10-27-2007, 09:09 PM
keep up the good work. *Hat Tip*

TruckinMike
11-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Parker has a new video out...(my first attempt at video production)

its called "A little less conversation"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-EbUKrDIE

TruckinMike

Hurricane Bruiser
11-01-2007, 01:04 PM
It was Rattler Ghouliani.

Hope the dog pulls through.

TruckinMike
11-01-2007, 01:12 PM
The video clip was from today. I thought I would make a little video for the folks that have been watching the Captains progress. He's doing great!:D

but my video skills aren't doing so well, they could use some honing ...:rolleyes:

TruckinMike

quickmike
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Too bad you can't hook one of those 25,000 HP turboshaft jets to your semi. That'd make quick work out of your runs. :cool:

I wonder if Ron Paul could ban all speed limits on highways. LOL

Hey, we can dream cant we?

Adamsa
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Parrkeerrrrr Noooooooooo.

MsDoodahs
11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I love it!

Great video, very happy to see Cap'n runnin' around!

freelance
11-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Bless his little heart. I hope he recovers fully real soon. Someone asked on the forums how we cope. Pets are one way.

TruckinMike
11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Parker Loves playing fetch and chase! I throw the ball, then I chase him down... or I try to chase him down, I can't catch him. But when I call him he comes... after the mad chase scene. Thats what the video clip was. He was in the middle running circles around me. He loves doing that.:p

And Speed limits..who needs'em?:eek:

TruckinMike

Valene
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Great vid. Thanks for sharing. Captain needs to tell all the other dogs and cats too, that when Dr Paul is elected, there will be more money for dog and cat treats since owners will get to keep the fruits of their labor!

Dog and cat treats for all!

TruckinMike
11-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Don't think the Captain hasn't made some converts on the road... especially after he lets'em know about the treats! He met a sweet chocolate Lab/Reimerweiner? mix, I think he has a crush on her. They were getting so close... I had to pull the chaparone card on them.:p

TruckinMike

TruckinMike
11-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Captain Parker in Philadelphia at the Rally

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2207/1955296839_ec706e10d1_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/1955296927_dcf03216f4.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2200/1955296921_357646f417.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/1955296903_eb6366f8d2.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/1955296951_c3d4403fbb.jpg

Parker had a blast. he was so excited to see and meet everyone! I couldn't calm him down, And every time the crowd yelled he yelled right along with them.:D
He really enjoyed meeting the folks. He even got to meet Hurricane Bruiser and family. I enjoyed that as well.:)

We had fun, and I think it came off very well. It was a success.

TM

MsDoodahs
11-10-2007, 06:32 PM
YAY!

Great pics, thank you, Mike!

ValidusCustodiae
11-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Mike I hope you don't mind if I use a couple of those in one of my new videos, they are really good.. VIVALA REVOLUTION!

Jobarra
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Beautiful Dog

"Captain Parker protects Liberty at Franklin Square" :D

Hook
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
He looks pretty worn out there by the van. Must've been a long day :)

TruckinMike
11-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Great pics, thank you, Mike!

Your welcome.:)

Mike I hope you don't mind if I use a couple of those in one of my new videos, they are really good.. VIVALA REVOLUTION!

Have at it!

He looks pretty worn out there by the van. Must've been a long day

Actually I was boring him to death taking photos:D

And here is another pic of Parker... with Independence Hall in the background
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2281/1956938022_bcaadd4aaf.jpg

TM

Bladestunner316
11-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I love the pics of your dog!!

Mine are my life!!

rg123
11-10-2007, 09:07 PM
wow what a historic moment to have that many people gathered for a message of freedom like all those years ago. Just wow!

Proemio
11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I wonder if Ron Paul could ban all speed limits on highways. LOL

Hey, we can dream cant we?

Someone - forget who - said: "I support Ron Paul because he will get rid of speed limits."

That was on one of those insane but regular threads about who should be 'allowed' (LOL) to proclaim their support for the man and for what 'acceptable reason' (double LOL).

Thought it was a great line to illustrate what this is all about, and there is no reason to doubt it was serious. Speed limits are great control conditioners...

TruckinMike
11-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Speed limits are great control conditioners...

I've never looked at it that way... http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZUUlmKiHnWl0MM:http://www.aperfectworld.org/clipart/household/lightbulb.gif
How true... we are being conditioned to submit on a daily basis... but I don't think it works on everyone.:rolleyes:

Speaking of submit, I should let Parker drive a while, maybe he would listen to me more often.:D here is Parker in South Carolina.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/2041242002_d2ed42bb37.jpg

Truckin'Mike

paulitics
11-17-2007, 04:49 PM
your dog rocks.

Hurricane Bruiser
11-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey Truckin Mike! It was great to see you and Captain Parker at the Philly rally. The good Captain looks to be on the mend from the vicious bites of Ghouliani. Tell the good Captain to keep spreading his love to all he meets. I'm in DC now and haven't made it back to WV yet. I'll try to post more signs on my trip back although one of my big signs "disappeared" at Philly. Keep truckin and postin signs.

Proemio
12-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I've never looked at it that way... http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZUUlmKiHnWl0MM:http://www.aperfectworld.org/clipart/household/lightbulb.gif
How true... we are being conditioned to submit on a daily basis... but I don't think it works on everyone.:rolleyes:

Apparently not...
http: //www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

Not that I would approve, of course.

Dieseler
12-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Good luck with the pup Bro and be safe on the Big Road.

InRonWeTrust
12-23-2007, 03:01 PM
"May The Ron be with him!"

TruckinMike
12-25-2007, 10:32 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2170/2134982111_0317235fc2_o.jpg

We wish you a Merry Christmas!!!

Update:

Captain Parker and I are in Louisiana at the Frog City Truckstop. -- Parker has completely healed from the snake bite.:p The skin is still tight, but it does not seem to effect his ability to run and play.

And

Parker had a little scuff with a pit bull in Freeport, Tx (Ron Pauls backyard). I had to kick the Pit away from Parker before it was to late -- It was a close call :cool:. Parker does not understand the concept of other dogs wanting to kill him for no reason. He just wants to play and have fun.

And

http://www.niteize.com/info/images/spotlit_main.jpg

if you'll take a look at Parkers Pic you will notice a round white object. Thats Parkers Christmas Present. Its a Red LED safety light. It has two modes of operation, either flashing or on continuously. The light is very bright, I recommend one for any dog that will be out after dark. the lights come in either Red or white LED.http://www.niteize.com/

Truckinmike

cicatrice
12-25-2007, 10:34 AM
*cheers* I'm so glad he's doing well!

slamhead
12-25-2007, 10:35 AM
He will be good....friends dog was bitten twice and survived without anti-venom. The second time he was bitten he barely had a reaction. This dog was tough!!! Also survived parvo as a puppy

LynnB
12-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Speaking of stylin'..

I was thinking of making him a vest out of the snake skin... I think that would be poetic justice. And I might even throw in a pair of doggie shades for the finishing touches of cool.

Don Johnson, eat your heart out:D

Truckinmike

At the least, make him a snakeskin collar--
He looks like he's doing great!

pacelli
12-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Wonderful news TruckinMike!! Glad to hear that he's doing well and fighting along side of you for the revolution! Please keep those sign challenges going!

ksuguy
12-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Glad to hear Captain Parker is doing better. Those light things are nice, sometimes I'll clip a light to my dogs collar too. She's also black like Captain Parker is, and it is very hard to see her at night.

thuja
12-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Sign Dog will be ok!!! My dogs are praying with me that recovery will be speedy!! Keep us posted.

hocaltar
12-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Rumor has it CFR is planting rattlesnakes along areas where Ron Paul supporters are likely to emplace signs...

//sarcasm

Coola
12-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Phew! I had to check the date on the original post. Thank goodness all is well. Keep goin' Captain Parker!

thuja
12-25-2007, 01:10 PM
wow! mistake! I thought this just happened. So glad the dog is fine. I like his new collar tag for road safety. Mine wears his TARDIS key around his neck.

Omnis
12-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Glad your dog's okay. Thank goodness it was just Mitt Romney and not one of those ultra-venomous snakes.

Corydoras
12-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Merry Christmas, Mike! So glad to see that Parker is all better now. Thanks for updating us all!

TruckinMike
12-25-2007, 10:07 PM
thanks for all the well wishes and Merry Christmas'!

Along with all of you -- Captain Parker and I were given a Christmas gift by total strangers. Yep, some kind folks made gift bags for the truckers and went walking through the parking lot handing them out.:D That was so thoughtful. Here is their pic with parker. (in Houston)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2137366082_f5c3e04ae6.jpg

TM

ClayTrainor
12-25-2007, 10:10 PM
thanks for all the well wishes and Merry Christmas'!

Along with all of you -- Captain Parker and I were given a Christmas gift by total strangers. Yep, some kind folks made gift bags for the truckers and went walking through the parking lot handing them out.:D That was so thoughtful. Here is their pic with parker. (in Houston)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2137366082_f5c3e04ae6.jpg

TM

Awesome mike, i'm so glad parker is okay :D

DealzOnWheelz
12-25-2007, 10:14 PM
good to see mike

merry christmas

jenninlouisiana
12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Awwww, I'm so happy he's better.

Mike, if you ever come though middle Louisiana, you let me know, K?

libertyguy
12-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Just goes to show you that Ron Paul supporters face snakes in the grass where ever they go! Sure hope this supporter...Man's Best Friend...pulls through okay. Any RP supporter is a friend deserving of prayers! Keep us posted and thanks for moving the RP message along the highways!

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Hope Anthem, the song written by Marc Scibilia for the Ron Paul Revolution is now available for download by Ron Paul Forum readers. See the thread here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=67208

TruckinMike
05-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Just to keep everyone updated about Cap'n Parker -- He had his first hair cut, he thinks he can run faster now:)

And he got sprayed by a SKUNK this morning on our walk. And yes, it was down the same road - rattlesnake road!

Parker is a trouble maker!
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/skunk.jpg

TMike

rajibo
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Just to keep everyone updated about Cap'n Parker -- He had his first hair cut, he thinks he can run faster now:)

And he got sprayed by a SKUNK this morning on our walk. And yes, it was down the same road - rattlesnake road!

Parker is a trouble maker!
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/skunk.jpg

TMike

Growing up, we had a dog that we found as a stray, and if she got loose, she would go running like a maniac. Nearly everytime she'd manage to find and harass the skunks. :eek:

Proemio
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Just to keep everyone updated about Cap'n Parker --...

About time... :D

steph3n
05-05-2008, 05:50 PM
About time... :D

TruckinMike!!!!

I sitll have my signs in the car and put them up sometimes for good memories and good measure, or just to tick of the FL DOT :S

libertythor
05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
A nice vintage RPF thread! :)

TruckinMike
10-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Capt. Parker almost got bit again!!! Not to mention his step brother and sister, Max and Maybe (two black labs)However this time he stayed back far enough. I put the two labs in the pen. Then we ran back to the house and grabbed the shotgun --- and then got dinner for tomorrow afternoon.

If you look close you'll notice that there is no head or rattle. They were lined up when I pulled the trigger -- Bummer, that fella was making a loud racket with his tail - I would love to have it.

TMike

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/2933702646_9bde7626ef.jpg

Bar-B-Q'd Rattler

~ 1 rattlesnake, cut into 2 inch steaks
~ 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
~ 1/2 cup honey
~ 1 tbsp fresh ground ginger
~ seasame seeds

In a bowl, mix together the teriyaki sauce, honey and ginger.

Pour marinade into a large ziplock bag. Add the snake steaks.

Squeeze out the air and seal. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Remove the steaks and roll in seasame seeds.

Place on hot grill. Cook over medium heat until done.

Chester Copperpot
10-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I love that name Captain Parker....

Good stuff.

angelatc
10-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Capt. Parker almost got bit again!!! Not to mention his step brother and sister, Max and Maybe (two black labs)However this time he stayed back far enough. I put the two labs in the pen. Then we ran back to the house and grabbed the shotgun --- and then got dinner for tomorrow afternoon.

If you look close you'll notice that there is no head or rattle. They were lined up when I pulled the trigger -- Bummer, that fella was making a loud racket with his tail - I would love to have it.

TMike

Bar-B-Q'd Rattler

~ 1 rattlesnake, cut into 2 inch steaks
~ 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
~ 1/2 cup honey
~ 1 tbsp fresh ground ginger
~ seasame seeds

In a bowl, mix together the teriyaki sauce, honey and ginger.

Pour marinade into a large ziplock bag. Add the snake steaks.

Squeeze out the air and seal. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Remove the steaks and roll in seasame seeds.

Place on hot grill. Cook over medium heat until done.

OH gosh! Did you give Capt Parker a bite? Seems only fair!

dr. hfn
10-11-2008, 10:49 PM
bump!

Anti Federalist
10-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Effed that snake up like...well, like a snake in a lawnmower.

TruckinMike
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Did you give Capt Parker a bite?

We just shot it an hour ago. A friend of mine was over and we decided to take a walk around with the three dogs. When we approached the burn pile the Capn' lets us know something wasn't right. And then the Rattler did - with a very loud and intimidating series of rattler songs. Thats when we ran back to the house for the shotgun... But now its in the fridge marinating. And Don't worry, Capn' Parker will get some.

I'll post the skin tomorrow sometime.

TMike

Edit:
Effed that snake up like...well, like a snake in a lawnmower.

Yes, it was curled up. That #9 bird shot really did the trick. I should have thought about it, maybe next time I won't damage the snake so much.

Carole
10-11-2008, 10:58 PM
So sorry to read this. :(

Will say a little prayer for this beautiful dog.

TruckinMike
10-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Thank you, and the Capn' appreciates your thoughts as well, however, he didn't get bit this time, he only got close. This time WE got the snake. This is an old thread from last year when he DID get bit. If you take a look at the early posts you can see his pictures of the bite.

Thanks again,

TMike

steph3n
10-11-2008, 11:06 PM

the dog is good now, and didn't get bit this time thankfully :)

StateofTrance
10-11-2008, 11:07 PM
As Wolf Blitzer would say -- Amazing, Amazing :D

Texan4Life
10-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Wow some how I missed this thread

We had a good country dog that chased anything that moved. Which is great cuz she kept all the critters out of the yard. Well she got bit in the neck by a rattle snake. So we took her to the vet (we have an awesome down to earth vet). And he just gave her a shot or two (steroids and maybe rabies vac to make sure?) don't really remember. He offered a anti venom be said it was iffy and expensive. So he recommended just to wait it out and keep her hydrated. all for like 35 bucks.

Her neck (under the jaw) swelled to the size of a freaking water melon! She was pretty tired and just layed around for a few days. and then was up running around with the water melon neck. It gets better... The damn thing POPPED! goo and puss was everywhere!

Now imagine the amount of skin needed to cover a water melon. That skin was now just dangling there and you could see everything raw though and opening of about 10 inches!

healing recommendations from vet? Leave it open so all the dead flesh can rot and fall off so the new can grow back. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected.

So for like a month she was running around losing dead bits of skin. And then finally all the bad flesh fell off and then healed of with hair and everything! You couldn't ever tell what had happened.

But wait there it more! She got bit again! (still loves killing critters) this time she was struck in the eye. So we took he to the vet. Said she already got vaccinated because of the first real snake bite (no need for anti venom) and thought about removing the eye, but wanted to give her body a chance to heal it. And to keep an eye on it.

Well it healed (clouded over, no vision, and the vet was impressed no need for removal) and she barely swelled up for like 2 day and didn't go through the whole dead flesh thing. That was good.

So we now had a one eye dog that still could hunt like nobody's business!! Dead critters in the yard all time.

Then when chasing our neighbor down our gravel drive way she got ran over. :(

Now we have squirrels, skunks, possums, and saw an armadillo running around!

Petar
10-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Wow some how I missed this thread

We had a good country dog that chased anything that moved. Which is great cuz she kept all the critters out of the yard. Well she got bit in the neck by a rattle snake. So we took her to the vet (we have an awesome down to earth vet). And he just gave her a shot or two (steroids and maybe rabies vac to make sure?) don't really remember. He offered a anti venom be said it was iffy and expensive. So he recommended just to wait it out and keep her hydrated. all for like 35 bucks.

Her neck (under the jaw) swelled to the size of a freaking water melon! She was pretty tired and just layed around for a few days. and then was up running around with the water melon neck. It gets better... The damn thing POPPED! goo and puss was everywhere!

Now imagine the amount of skin needed to cover a water melon. That skin was now just dangling there and you could see everything raw though and opening of about 10 inches!

healing recommendations from vet? Leave it open so all the dead flesh can rot and fall off so the new can grow back. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected.

So for like a month she was running around losing dead bits of skin. And then finally all the bad flesh fell off and then healed of with hair and everything! You couldn't ever tell what had happened.

But wait there it more! She got bit again! (still loves killing critters) this time she was struck in the eye. So we took he to the vet. Said she already got vaccinated because of the first real snake bite (no need for anti venom) and thought about removing the eye, but wanted to give her body a chance to heal it. And to keep an eye on it.

Well it healed (clouded over, no vision, and the vet was impressed no need for removal) and she barely swelled up for like 2 day and didn't go through the whole dead flesh thing. That was good.

So we now had a one eye dog that still could hunt like nobody's business!! Dead critters in the yard all time.

Then when chasing our neighbor down our gravel drive way she got ran over. :(

Now we have squirrels, skunks, possums, and saw an armadillo running around!

That was an intensely fantastic story. Sorry she was ran over.

Texan4Life
10-12-2008, 12:41 AM
That was an intensely fantastic story. Sorry she was ran over.

Thanks. she was awesome. Our other dog is a freaking pansy. She will lay on the porch and watch squirrels play in the yard like 20 feet away... I'm Like WTF!!

I tried whispering out the door (so I don't scare off the squirrels) Go get 'em! get 'em. But she doesn't get the hint and just wags her tail :D

McDermit
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Edit: wrong thread

angelatc
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I wonder how Cap'n is doing? I think of this thread every time we talk dogs.

TruckinMike
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
It looks like the rattlesnakes are at it again. My wife went out to gather the eggs from one of the chicken coups and like always the dogs follow along. But this time there was a small diamondback rattler that was spotted by the two. Dogs will be dogs, they stuck their nose where they shouldn't have. Both Max and Maybe were bit twice. They are now on IV fluids, antihistamines, and anti-inflammatory drugs at the vet. Both are sleeping, Max was bit on his jowls and Maybe was it on left side bridge of her nose. Those were the only places that I saw -- But the Vet said they were both bit in two different places.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3309/3624133364_ebffe0f73f.jpg
From left to right, Capn Parker, Max, and Maybe
The building in the background is the chicken coup in question

Parker learned his lesson the last time around. Whenever there is a snake around he high tails it out of the area. I have tried training Max and Maybe with the chicken/rat snakes that I catch, but it obviously didn't work.

Anyway, watch out for the Rattlers.

TMike

phill4paul
08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
It looks like the rattlesnakes are at it again. My wife went out to gather the eggs from one of the chicken coups and like always the dogs follow along. But this time there was a small diamondback rattler that was spotted by the two. Dogs will be dogs, they stuck their nose where they shouldn't have. Both Max and Maybe were bit twice. They are now on IV fluids, antihistamines, and anti-inflammatory drugs at the vet. Both are sleeping, Max was bit on his jowls and Maybe was it on left side bridge of her nose. Those were the only places that I saw -- But the Vet said they were both bit in two different places.

From left to right, Capn Parker, Max, and Maybe
The building in the background is the chicken coup in question

Parker learned his lesson the last time around. Whenever there is a snake around he high tails it out of the area. I have tried training Max and Maybe with the chicken/rat snakes that I catch, but it obviously didn't work.

Anyway, watch out for the Rattlers.

TMike

Pretty hounds TMike. Hope they make it through all right! Funny how something loyal as hell can be dumb as a rock, but, dog will hunt.

donnay
08-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Beautiful dogs! I would hope sooner or later they will learn their lesson like Capn Parker. Thank goodness it wasn't your wife!

Anti Federalist
08-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Reason to move to New Hampshire number 3,912.

No Rattlesnakes.

Mike, I hope your dogs pull through OK.

presence
08-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Give your dog some hot sauce. The hotter the better. It contains capsicum which helps you recover from many different venoms. I've seen it shock people out of heart attacks and seizures. I have a friend that recovered from a copper head bite in the wild on nothing but hot sauce. If it were my dog her mouth and the wound would get dosed several times a day. Tabasco makes a habanero variety.

/do your own research
/consult your licensed, permitted, bonded provider.

presence

donnay
08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Reason to move to New Hampshire number 3,912.

No Rattlesnakes.

Mike, I hope your dogs pull through OK.

We have timber rattlesnakes! It's protected, so you cannot kill it!!

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/Nongame/snakes.htm

TruckinMike
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
The vet is pushing IV fluids to flush out the venom -- Heck many folks just let it run its course. Dogs are pretty tough. I think they'll be OK.

And Presence, thanks for the tip --- After I get the vet bill I'll probably go out and buy some hababero tabasco sauce. <Just in case>. LoL

Thanks for the concern everybody. I keep y'all posted.

TMike

Chester Copperpot
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Did Captain Parker get bit again?? I remember this thread from back in the day

TruckinMike
08-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Did Captain Parker get bit again?? I remember this thread from back in the dayNo this time it was Max and Maybe - my two labs. They both were bit twice.

Parker,Max, and Maybe

Chester Copperpot
08-23-2012, 08:50 PM
No this time it was Max and Maybe - my two labs. They both were bit twice.

Well i hope those two get better.. But hows Capt. Parker?? Its such an awesome name for a dog. I just want to know hes doing good. lol

TruckinMike
08-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Well i hope those two get better.. But hows Capt. Parker?? Its such an awesome name for a dog. I just want to know hes doing good. lolParker is a bit insane, but real healthy. He walks around with a ball in his mouth so much that the vet says its bad for his teeth. He's a tennis ball-a-holic, he can't help himself. Everyday the dogs perform intense interval sprints while chasing balls. Except for Max, he can't run as fast so he gets discouraged. As a result, while the other two are out trying to get to the ball first, he digs big holes. As long as Maybe and Parker are going after balls, Max is digging - and I mean furiously digging. He diggs with the same drive, effort, and speed that the others chase balls with. Its pretty funny to watch. And when the balls stop, all three dogs stop. Of course Parker wants to do it one more time, no matter how many times you stop, he wants to do it again.

GARNET
08-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Hope he pulls through ok~

TruckinMike
08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks, But Capn' Parker was bit 4 years ago. I just resurrected this old thread because my two labs Max and Maybe were bit yesterday. Here is the post that explains what happened...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?20373-Captain-Parker-sign-dog-bit-by-Rattlesnake&p=4596466&viewfull=1#post4596466