PDA

View Full Version : People outside can't donate?

mavtek
09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Is that correct people outside of the country can not donate to the campaign?

Could we fix that with a chipin?

mwkaufman
09-26-2007, 02:16 PM
This is outlawed.

specsaregood
09-26-2007, 02:17 PM
This is outlawed.

Not completely true. American citizens living outside the country can donate.

Edit: oh, well isn't legal so give money for somebody else to donate, so i guess still true. but not for simply being out of the country

FrankRep
09-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Correct.

However, outsiders can donate to local Ron Paul groups.

OptionsTrader
09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
From the FEC:
http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_general.shtml#Can_nonUS_citizens_contribut e

Can non-US citizens contribute?
Foreign nationals are prohibited from making any contributions or expenditures in connection with any election in the U.S. Please note, however, that "green card" holders (i.e., individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.) are not considered foreign nationals and, as a result, may contribute. For additional information, consult our "Foreign Nationals" brochure. (http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml)

EvilEngineer
09-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Admin Edit: Post Deleted - Please do not promote illegal or "semi-illegal" activities.

john_anderson_ii
09-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I've always wondered.....

If an incredibly rich person were maxed out...

Admin Edit: Post Deleted - Please do not promote illegal or "semi-illegal" activities.

EvilEngineer
09-26-2007, 03:23 PM

exactly, this can apply to a foreign person or company as well. Though it would cost more than $2300, since you would have taxes and tariffs to add on top of that.

ItsTime
09-26-2007, 03:23 PM

it just so happens I am selling a spoon hand crafted by a machine from china for $2,000

john_anderson_ii
09-26-2007, 03:25 PM
it just so happens I am selling a spoon hand crafted by a machine from china for $2,000

If I were both rich and maxed out, I would take you up on that, but I'm neither :(

LibertyEagle
09-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Shoot yeah, Americans living abroad can donate. Why else do you think Ghouliani, Mitt and the others just spent some time abroad?

LibertyEagle
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
While some of the other candidates may be raising money illegally for their campaigns, it is not a wise move to follow suite. Especially since the power brokers would like nothing else than to trip Ron Paul's campaign up on something like this.

Everyone does realize that there are reporters and most assuredly members from other campaigns perusing this board, right? Ron Paul supporters are known for their intellect. Let's please use some of that now.

Bradley in DC
09-26-2007, 03:55 PM
The law does not preclude anything based on geography. Any American citizen or green card holder, no matter where they are, can donate legally to the campaign

Chester Copperpot
09-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Correct.

However, outsiders can donate to local Ron Paul groups.

Wow I never thought of that... all those meetups in other countries could donate to US meetups for things like tv time and stuff.. and with the dollar at all time lows theyd be getting a real bang for their euro so to speak

libertythor
09-26-2007, 03:59 PM
As long as those meetups don't rechannel the money to Ron Paul's campaign directly, that is okay.

We don't want a Hillaryesque scandal.

TheIndependent
09-26-2007, 04:01 PM
It would just be better to have foreigners interested in the campaign talk to expatriates and encourage them to donate. We don't need any sort of scandal in this campaign even if the activity isn't directly sanctioned by the campaign itself.

Death by association, and all. Seriously.

TheIndependent
09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
As long as those meetups don't rechannel the money to Ron Paul's campaign directly, that is okay.

We don't want a Hillaryesque scandal.

It's better that it doesn't happen anyway in terms of foreign money into the U.S., on the off-chance that it were to happen. You can't herd cats, and sure as hell can't guarantee out of 48,000+ folks that none would do it, even inadvertently. This should absolutely be a policy going forward.

Think of foreigners as ambassadors to expatriates--no money.

However, organizing fundraisers for those that can legally donate overseas--expatriates and legal aliens (and the following poster said) can be done and is done on a frequent basis.

ChrisM
09-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Expatriates and legal aliens may dontae regardless of geographic location.

The best way for a foreign national to donate is to give money to Meetup groups and other fundraising activities. This is also the best way for a person who has maxed out to continue to support and donate.

Finally:
IT IS ILLEGAL to sell an item from or give money to another person for the purpose of donating to a political campaign. DO NOT do it!

libertythor
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
As an American Citizen living in Mexico, I managed convince a local to place a large Ron Paul decal on his rear car window. Its still there after a week.

JMann
09-26-2007, 04:10 PM
From the FEC:
http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_general.shtml#Can_nonUS_citizens_contribut e

Can non-US citizens contribute?
Foreign nationals are prohibited from making any contributions or expenditures in connection with any election in the U.S. Please note, however, that "green card" holders (i.e., individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.) are not considered foreign nationals and, as a result, may contribute. For additional information, consult our "Foreign Nationals" brochure. (http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml)

Unless of course they are from China and would like to donate to the Clitons.

RonPaul2012grassroots
09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
There are many folks who are in the US of A as 'American nationals', yet their status is not that of a 'U.S. citizen'. Even though they are native to the US of A, and are American nationals, they are prohibited by Federal public policy from contributing to Ron Paul's campaign.

This is precisely why we are the source for "novelty items for the disenfranchised" - it is the primary reason for doing what we do, i.e. provide the absolute lowest prices on Ron Paul 'novelty' items such as car magnets, bumper stickers, mini stickers, yard signs, pole signs, buttons, tee shirts, etc.

And it is worth noting that our prices are up to 50-70% less than the 'official' campaign store. In fact, we're cheaper on everything. Get more, pay less, and get more done at the grassroots level, because grassroots is where it's at, not 'central planning'.