PDA

View Full Version : The NRA "says" they invited Dr. Paul

LibertyEagle
09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
To their Presidential hoopla last week. They said they never received a response from the campaign.

I asked them why on earth they didn't check back. It would have only taken them 5 minutes. I mean, after all, Dr. Paul has the best pro 2nd amendment record of ALL of them.

I think we should ask them to distribute something about his record in their next mailing. Or ask them if they would consider giving us a HUGE discount in their mag for an ad. What do you guys think? :)

jj111
09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Where did you get this info from?

tekkierich
09-26-2007, 02:16 PM
I half believe it. There have been many reports of the staff not returning calls.

I would also think that RP would deserve more than one attempt at contact.

LibertyEagle
09-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Where did you get this info from?

I called the NRA and asked them.

constituent
09-26-2007, 02:24 PM
funny. Alex Jones' repeat stream is on commercial right now, but the NRA was of primary focus during the last segment.

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
To their Presidential hoopla last week. They said they never received a response from the campaign.

I asked them why on earth they didn't check back. It would have only taken them 5 minutes. I mean, after all, Dr. Paul has the best pro 2nd amendment record of ALL of them.

I think we should ask them to distribute something about his record in their next mailing. Or ask them if they would consider giving us a HUGE discount in their mag for an ad. What do you guys think? :)

I have personally dumped the NRA for the GOA. The NRA has sold-out and is in bed with the neo-cons and would not want to soil that dirty relationship by being affiliated with the most pro-gun candidate just because RP does not pander to neo-con political interests while he also believes in all aspects of the constitution - not just the 2A.

The other problem is a good portion of the pro-gun community is pro-war, attack Iran, etc. (typical neo-con agenda and the NRA panders to this). However, for those pro-gun types who are single issue voters on gun rights, they really do their research I bet most already know about RP and he is their man. RP is in the signatures of many a member of the numerous gun forums I belong to.

Still, it pays to hit-up gun shows as RP still has to work on name recognition and I while know many, many gun owners who are for RP - I bet many more would be for him if they knew about him.

LibertyEagle
09-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I agree that the GOA is the organization to belong to; however, the NRA is still the largest pro-gun organization and I was just thinking that their supposed neglect in not including Ron Paul could be used for our own best interests. There are a lot of people in the NRA who are NOT neocons and I sure don't want to leave them out.

I do agree though that we shouldn't let one gun show go by that doesn't have a Ron Paul table. Who all is doing that? Ron Paul and gun owners should be an easy sell.

JMann
09-26-2007, 04:16 PM
God I wish people could come up with calling people something other than neo-con. It really makes you sound stupid. But if you must use the word please understand Paul can not win the Republican nomination with neo-cons supporting him. Instead of constantly bashing them and using the term as some use the other n-word you really should work to convince them to join the Paul campaign instead of trying to act like you are somehow a better person.

Most 'mainstream' Republicans will stop reading or listening to anything you say if they here the N word.

runderwo
09-26-2007, 04:27 PM
please understand Paul can not win the Republican nomination with neo-cons supporting him

:D Was that intentional?

JMann
09-26-2007, 04:35 PM
:D Was that intentional?

Nope it is fact. Paul will not win the Republican primary unless people that supported Bush vote for him. There are not enough Goldwater Republicans around to do it. The job is to convince them that Paul has a better plan and you will never do that by using the n-word as if you are some kind of political insider. Actually it makes people sound like ig'nant fools when they use it but if that is the box you like to paint yourself in go for it. Makes me sick the Paul has starting using it on national tv one of his more senior advisers needs to let him know he turns off 80% of Republican primary voters when the n-word comes out of his mouth.

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
God I wish people could come up with calling people something other than neo-con. It really makes you sound stupid. But if you must use the word please understand Paul can not win the Republican nomination with neo-cons supporting him. Instead of constantly bashing them and using the term as some use the other n-word you really should work to convince them to join the Paul campaign instead of trying to act like you are somehow a better person.

Most 'mainstream' Republicans will stop reading or listening to anything you say if they here the N word.

When I refer to "neo-con", I refer to pro-war, attack Iran ideologues. We will never "convert" them. I don't use the term outside this forum or outside of fellow RP supporters.

The term "neo-conservative" has morphed (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservative ) and I am just using my own definition based on the positions of the so-called front runners. Realize RP uses the term all the time in debates. I have wondered if it is a good idea. It distinguishes him from the crowd and makes the other candidates seem evil or something, but it could also annoy some people - especially those who don't understand what a neo-con is, as if RP is talking over their heads.

I also agree we should try and work with the NRA, but I would not expect much in return. As for gun shows, I just hit up the Valley Forge Gun Show just outside Philly. Got a good reception - AND more than a few who had not heard of RP, but they have now, plus my next door neighbor who is an RP supporter just bought his first two firearms there while spreading the good word ;)

Ron Paul Fan
09-26-2007, 04:42 PM
So are you saying that we should stop using the word neo-con when our own candidate uses it frequently in debates and speeches? We need to open people's eyes to the fact that these neo-cons are not conservatives and that the Republican base has shrunk and is in shambles because of them. Let's support our candidate and rally behind him. If we don't, then the neo-cons will win. Do you want another neo-con in office? I sure don't. We need to show people that the neo-cons are different from Ron Paul and they're different from the traditional conservative position. Neo-cons have hijacked our foreign policy. We have a lot of goodness in this country, and we should promote it but never through the barrel of a gun. You can't enforce our goodness on people like the neo-cons preach with an armed force!

JMann
09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
May I suggest terms like non-traditional Republicans or even just the new conservative movement. The N word I assure you puts off the very people that Paul needs to attract.

I would disagree that the non-candidate pro war people won't mover over to Paul's position. I agree with Paul's position on the war only because of his overall foreign policy. Without Paul's overall vision and as long as we are going to be involved everywhere else we have no choice but to squash the enemies we create.

The Democrats view of the world is far more dangerous than Bush's. The Dems want us entangled all over the world but not fight back when attacked. Paul's policy will only work if we pull back to an America First foreign policy, shy of that not fighting out enemies will be suicide.

JMann
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM
So are you saying that we should stop using the word neo-con when our own candidate uses it frequently in debates and speeches? We need to open people's eyes to the fact that these neo-cons are not conservatives and that the Republican base has shrunk and is in shambles because of them. Let's support our candidate and rally behind him. If we don't, then the neo-cons will win. Do you want another neo-con in office? I sure don't. We need to show people that the neo-cons are different from Ron Paul and they're different from the traditional conservative position. Neo-cons have hijacked our foreign policy. We have a lot of goodness in this country, and we should promote it but never through the barrel of a gun. You can't enforce our goodness on people like the neo-cons preach with an armed force!

As I stated the candidate needs to stop using it. It hasn't helped him one bit. Thus the reason he polls at 1% with traditional Republican Party primary voters. Go ahead keep using it but it will be a death nail to the campaign.

I've been a Paul supporter since my dad and I picked him up in like 84 from the airport when he ran against Phil Gramm in the senatorial primary in Texas but just seeing the word makes me loose support for him and it hits me that way I can't imagine how it does people just learning about him.

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 04:49 PM

I do kinda like the way RP uses the term "neo-con" in debates, but for your average un-educated voter I think it confuses them. If someone is willing to take the time to listen at length with explanations, then fine. However, for a 30 second elevator talk-up of RP I don't think it is needed because a lot of voters don't even know what it means and it will confuse the issue.

However, on the grand scale, I agree that these neo-cons should be outed for the faux conservatives that they are. It would be great if "neo-con" became a big ugly word like "liberal", but I don't see it as being mainstream enough yet.

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 04:52 PM
May I suggest terms like non-traditional Republicans or even just the new conservative movement. The N word I assure you puts off the very people that Paul needs to attract.

I would disagree that the non-candidate pro war people won't mover over to Paul's position. I agree with Paul's position on the war only because of his overall foreign policy. Without Paul's overall vision and as long as we are going to be involved everywhere else we have no choice but to squash the enemies we create.

The Democrats view of the world is far more dangerous than Bush's. The Dems want us entangled all over the world but not fight back when attacked. Paul's policy will only work if we pull back to an America First foreign policy, shy of that not fighting out enemies will be suicide.

Good luck getting any pro-war, attack Iran types to convert. Some may, but I see it as akin to trying to convert a homosexual (not that there is anything wrong with that, to quote a popular sitcom) to heterosexuality, or vice versa.

rg123
09-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Neocons are not Republicans. Their lliberal Big government Dems that have hijacked the Republican party They are what they are and if they do not like the term then dont be one. Because they are not republicans. Thats like saying don't call a murderer a murderer because you may hurt his feelings give me a break. If you do not like the association with yourself then don't be one. Ron is right to show and tell the GOP they are being lied too. If not him then WHO!! If not us then WHO!! Our future is at stake here and pretending someone is something they aren't is not going to help. This is not a case of catch more flies with Honey.
They authorized in senate today to be allowed to use Executive Order 13224
on Iran in accordance with UN Resolutions. War is looming soon as congress has passed the buck to the president again just like Iraq

Ron Paul Fan
09-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I assure you that using the word neo-con will not be the death nail of the campaign. He's used it so far and he's done well. You can't dispute that my friend. And that's not even the issue of the election. This is the issue of this election, whether we believe in our capacity for self government or whether we abandon the American Revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves. I think our candidate, Ron Paul, is trying to fit everything he can into a small amount of time so he must use the word neo-con to differentiate himself from the Bush Administration. He can't go into a 5 minute oratory about what the word neo-con means. He's not going to get the pro war neo-con crowd so I'm not sure what he can say to appeal to those big government, preemptive attack poser liberals. In the last Fox debate, he actually did kind of explain what a neo-con was when he said that they were former Democrats. I think Dr. Paul is doing just fine and there's no reason to hit the panic button over one little word. And I certainly wouldn't want him to change his message to pander to the neo-cons.

libertarian4321
09-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm a longtime NRA member.

However, it has become obvious in recent years that they DO NOT always support the most pro- 2nd amendment candidate.

They support Republicans only (even when there is a more pro-gun Libertarian or, in rare cases, a more pro gun Democrat).

They also seem to support "establishment" guys over mavericks, even if the maverick is more pro-gun.

If the NRA disrespects Ron Paul, who is the kind of guy the NRA should love, I won't be renewing my NRA membership.

LibertyEagle
09-26-2007, 05:03 PM

I don't like those terms, because they are not accurate. I think using the term BIG government Republican would do the job, because at least it will provide people with a brief description of what they are about.

rg123
As I stated the candidate needs to stop using it. It hasn't helped him one bit. Thus the reason he polls at 1% with traditional Republican Party primary voters. Go ahead keep using it but it will be a death nail to the campaign.

I've been a Paul supporter since my dad and I picked him up in like 84 from the airport when he ran against Phil Gramm in the senatorial primary in Texas but just seeing the word makes me loose support for him and it hits me that way I can't imagine how it does people just learning about him.

He polls @ 1% because the polls are rigged the ticker say he is going to raise over
500,000 in like 3 days by public donations so how is that 1 %

Givemelibertyor.....
In regards to the NRA inviting Dr. Paul, I kinda doubt it.

His campaign is run by smart people, and if a major opportunity like this presented itself, they would have jumped on it. The gun vote is bigger than you might think.

The NRA has a history of not being "straight shooters".

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I personally have no problem using the term "neo-con" in expalantion of faux conservative, so-called Republicans who have hijacked the party.

My only point goes to talking points: most voters are not politically savvy and using terms they don't understand could turn them off or confuse them. Otherwise, I have no problem calling a spade a spade.

constituent
09-26-2007, 05:11 PM
neo-con

neo-conservative...

who cares really? let's just drop the neo, and call them what
they are....

cons.

and hey, best part about it... that term encompasses both parties...
to most folks "neo-con" is party specific.

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 05:12 PM

His campaign is run by smart people, and if a major opportunity like this presented itself, they would have jumped on it. The gun vote is bigger than you might think.

Agreed. The NRA will side with the front runner as they want control. Can't blame them in a way, but the problem is that they have strayed from the true interests of gun owners and are trading away our rights in legislation in a effort to gain "legitimacy" - as if you need to legitimize defending the 2A, even against anti-gun zealots.

Still, while the NRA annoys me these days, no reason not to try and work with them.

LibertyEagle
09-26-2007, 05:13 PM

I would think the same thing, but this is not the first time that we have heard this same thing. We contacted them and they didn't reply.

speciallyblend
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I ask this why should i even try to promote RON PAUL,if the staff doesnt even simply respond to calls for press.

I have a reporter waiting to do a story ,thats 100 percent good for Ron Paul. I called 2 days ago left my home number and work number nothing. I go home tomorrow ,i expect a call from the nation HQ,if not,then i guess i need to call and let them know .
If they cant return phone calls and free good media,then maybe i need to stop donating,stop flyering,stop talking and unregister republican and give up on RON PAUL.
WTF is going on,no return calls.Why am i doing all this stuff and spending my last dimes? why cant they return a call.I have called 2 times for jesse benton.On thursday if they do not give me a contact or talk to me and give me an answer then they will lose a full meet-up group and supporters WTF,I want answers ..this is not acceptable. i hope someone from this site calls the HQ and explains my frustration.If they dont answer me by friday you will lose 3 counties support.

bobmurph
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't like those terms, because they are not accurate. I think using the term BIG government Republican would do the job, because at least it will provide people with a brief description of what they are about.

Nice! A brief & accurate statement without the stigma of "neo-con". That is exactly the term we should use when referring to neo-con candidates in hostile neo-con environments.

ctb619
09-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice! A brief & accurate statement without the stigma of "neo-con". That is exactly the term we should use when referring to neo-con candidates in hostile neo-con environments.

However, Big Government Republican doesn't really address the foreign policy component of the neoconservative movement, which is arguably the most important.

bobmurph
09-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I ask this why should i even try to promote RON PAUL,if the staff doesnt even simply respond to calls for press.

I have a reporter waiting to do a story ,thats 100 percent good for Ron Paul. I called 2 days ago left my home number and work number nothing. I go home tomorrow ,i expect a call from the nation HQ,if not,then i guess i need to call and let them know .
If they cant return phone calls and free good media,then maybe i need to stop donating,stop flyering,stop talking and unregister republican and give up on RON PAUL.
WTF is going on,no return calls.Why am i doing all this stuff and spending my last dimes? why cant they return a call.I have called 2 times for jesse benton.On thursday if they do not give me a contact or talk to me and give me an answer then they will lose a full meet-up group and supporters WTF,I want answers ..this is not acceptable. i hope someone from this site calls the HQ and explains my frustration.If they dont answer me by friday you will lose 3 counties support.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the campaign....they should definitely call you back. But DON'T GIVE UP! Sounds like you have a great opportunity for Dr. Paul to get some positive exposure in a traditional media outlet....can anyone help speciallyblend get in contact w/ the campaign?

jj111
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
The national campaign staff is likely busy, they're overworked, inundated with unfinished "todo" items, they're underpaid, and the campaign needs more money so they can hire more staff. If they had $50 million dollars to work with, they could afford somebody to call you back. They only have a couple handful of staff for the entire campaign, and are trying to save enough money to advertise later in the campaign. If you contribute more, maybe they will be able to afford more staff. I'm sure this is not the first time a mistake has been made by a presidential campaign.

Tina
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
However, Big Government Republican doesn't really address the foreign policy component of the neoconservative movement, which is arguably the most important.

That's very true. Neocon is absolutely about foreign policy, not big government.

jj111
09-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but if it's really worthwhile to the campaign, keep trying to contact them in any way you can.

jj111
09-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Ron does not use the word neocon excessively. Maybe once or twice in a talk at the most.

bobmurph
09-26-2007, 05:30 PM

True. However, when it comes to neo-cons, the only way we will get them to switch is if they are attracted to Ron Paul's domestic policy FIRST. The foreign policy will follow. As a former neo-con I can attest that I was very skeptical of Paul's foreign policy, but was ecstatic about his positions on domestic issues. Eventually, after researching Dr. Paul enough and listening to his logic for his foreign policy I was able to embrace his positions. Many former neo-cons have had the same/similar paths in their support of Ron Paul.

So, while Big Goverment Republican may not be an accurate representation of exactly what neo-cons are, it is a great way to expose their very non-repbulican positions on domestic policy to average "neo-con" voters without the negative stigma attached to the term neo-con.

When it comes to converting neo-cons we MUST highlight domestic policy to draw interest in RP.

Corydoras
09-26-2007, 05:30 PM
If I ever get a chance to speak to Ron Paul, the first (and probably only) thing I will say is, "Sir, you MUST expand your press staff!"

Kregener
09-26-2007, 05:34 PM
The neocons are going to vote for whomever is promising the most dead "ragheads" and "camel jockeys", period.

That is NOT Ron Paul.

Personally, I am glad Dr. Paul (for whatever reason) stayed away from the NRA. They are change-agents of the vilest order.

bobmurph
09-26-2007, 05:42 PM
The neocons are going to vote for whomever is promising the most dead "ragheads" and "camel jockeys", period.

That is NOT Ron Paul.

Personally, I am glad Dr. Paul (for whatever reason) stayed away from the NRA. They are change-agents of the vilest order.

It depends on who you're grouping into the neo-con category. A lot traditional republicans have bought into the Bush foreign policy doctrine...but its only because the talking heads tell them to think that way. Most traditional republicans rank domestic issues higher on the pecking order than foreign policy issues. We just need to remind them of that! The neo-cons know this!! Why do you think all the questions RP fielded at the Fox News debate were on foreign policy? Becuase they know that average republican voters will be attracted to Dr. Pauls domestic policy so they draw attention away from it, or misrepresent his policies like exaggerating his positions like getting rid of departments and focusing on the CIA instead of the dept of education.

Kregener
09-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I am grouping ANYBODY (my friends included) who want more war and dead "ragheads" as neocons, whether or not they realize they are one is open to debate.

These folks are easy to spot as they are the only ones screeching for more war and dead "camel jockeys" because they get their geo-political world view from Faux Snooze and take it as gospel.

paulitics
09-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Nope it is fact. Paul will not win the Republican primary unless people that supported Bush vote for him. There are not enough Goldwater Republicans around to do it. The job is to convince them that Paul has a better plan and you will never do that by using the n-word as if you are some kind of political insider. Actually it makes people sound like ig'nant fools when they use it but if that is the box you like to paint yourself in go for it. Makes me sick the Paul has starting using it on national tv one of his more senior advisers needs to let him know he turns off 80% of Republican primary voters when the n-word comes out of his mouth.

Nope, its not a fact, its an opinion....your's specifically. Neocons are not conservatives. Most people don't want to think they are neocons,they identify themselves as Ronald reagan conservatives, or Goldwater republicans. What is the biggest voting block in this country are traditional conservatives and blue dog democrats. This is who RP needs to appeal to, not the neoconservatives. The irrational haters who cling to every word that comes out of Hannity's mouth will not vote for RP. Those who will trade freedom for security will not vote for RP.

Ron Paul is very effective in differentiating the 2, and yes he does use the term neoconservative to distinguish between traditional conservatives and those manipulators who hijacked the party. He is reminding them of what the roots of the republican party are, and that preemptive war, big gvt programs, and eradication of civil liberties is not "conservative" but neoconservative. He is pretty effective with this, and is the lone voice of reason in the debates.

If it wasn't for Ron Paul I would not have switched parties to a republican, because I thought conservatives were the root of all evil. Now I know the difference, and I am definately a conservative libertarian who hates big govt of all forms. Personally I get charged, kind of like a Rocky Balboa moment, when the Doctor is smacking down the neocons. Speaking truthfully, without mincing the words, does earn the respect of most people, although a few may be offended.

Anti Federalist
09-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Bah.

I was afraid of this; don't mention neo-con, calm down, don't get riled up at a rally, "your gonna turn people off", for God sakes don't talk about 9/11, drop the Fed bashing, etc...

And so you end up with Fred McRomney.

Enough has been said by the good doctor and all of us to "sink" him in a general or even primary election, if we play by the rules of conventional wisdom.

This whole campaign is based on the opposite assumption, that the "conventional wisdom" needs to, and will be, tossed on the ash heap of history.

runderwo
09-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Ron Paul himself has used the term "neocon" several times. I think it's a useful term to distinguish this new crop of big government, dragon slaying, PNAC conservatives from the traditional conservatives. Unfortunately, I think the meaning and intent becomes watered down when it's the every other word out of a truther's mouth.

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Bah.

I was afraid of this; don't mention neo-con, calm down, don't get riled up at a rally, "your gonna turn people off", for God sakes don't talk about 9/11, drop the Fed bashing, etc...

And so you end up with Fred McRomney.

Enough has been said by the good doctor and all of us to "sink" him in a general or even primary election, if we play by the rules of conventional wisdom.

This whole campaign is based on the opposite assumption, that the "conventional wisdom" needs to, and will be, tossed on the ash heap of history.

The early campaign had a lot of that and it was positive. Now balance is needed to win over more mainstream voters or RP has no chance. Just about everybody who already has these so-called "fringe" views is already on the RP bandwagon.

Yes, this campaign should maintain its unbridled enthusiasm and creative energy, but we are at a point where it needs to be directed at a more mainstream voter who will listen to a more moderate message that is based on RP's actual platform.

ksuguy
09-26-2007, 11:13 PM
I like to be careful about using the word neocon. Mostly because it is a term that is a favorite of rabid left wingers. If I'm trying to convince republicans to come around to my point of view, using that word will just make them think I'm some sort of wacky hippie.

Anti Federalist
09-26-2007, 11:24 PM
The early campaign had a lot of that and it was positive. Now balance is needed to win over more mainstream voters or RP has no chance. Just about everybody who already has these so-called "fringe" views is already on the RP bandwagon.

Yes, this campaign should maintain its unbridled enthusiasm and creative energy, but we are at a point where it needs to be directed at a more mainstream voter who will listen to a more moderate message that is based on RP's actual platform.

By the standards of conventional wisdom, abolishing the Fed, just for an example, and a key aspect of RP's platform, is a radical, earth shaking idea of revolutionary proportions.

It is by no means a "moderate" position.

The message of liberty needs to brought to moderate people with an explanation that the time for moderation has long passed and now is the time for radical change.

tmg19103
09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
By the standards of conventional wisdom, abolishing the Fed, just for an example, and a key aspect of RP's platform, is a radical, earth shaking idea of revolutionary proportions.

It is by no means a "moderate" position.

The message of liberty needs to brought to moderate people with an explanation that the time for moderation has long passed and now is the time for radical change.

Check out the thread on the 9/11 Truther article on Yahoo that is now on the Fox News website and being read by millions of people. Yep, those earth shaking and revolutionary ideas are REALLY going to win over voters (dripping sarcasm intended).

The campaign is really taking off, the MSM can no longer ignore it, so they will seek to marginalize and discredit the campaign. Abolishing the FED is fine - that is part of RP's platform, but I would not lead with it with an undecided Republican. Smaller government and returning to constitutional principles are good places to start. Eliminating the IRS is a big seller.

The things we need to avoid are issues that are not part fo the official platform, and that the MSM will use to sink the campaign, like what is on the Yahoo/Michigan ferry ride/Truther thread.

MicroBalrog
09-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Good luck getting any pro-war, attack Iran types to convert. Some may, but I see it as akin to trying to convert a homosexual (not that there is anything wrong with that, to quote a popular sitcom) to heterosexuality, or vice versa.

The issue is not persauding people that the war has to end.

The issue is persuading them to vote for Ron even though they disagree with him on the war.

I disagree with Ron on the war and I would vote for him in an eyeblink if I were a US citizen

tmg19103
09-27-2007, 12:11 AM
The issue is not persauding people that the war has to end.

The issue is persuading them to vote for Ron even though they disagree with him on the war.

I disagree with Ron on the war and I would vote for him in an eyeblink if I were a US citizen

That's wonderful to hear, but in the U.S. there are more than a few rabid, brain-washed warmonger types who will never vote for a Ron Paul because he is against the war in Iraq and against antagonizing Iran - and they will not look beyond RP's anti-war stance to see the strength of his other positions. Some people may see the light, but unfortunately there are a lot of misguided people out there.

If staying the course in Iraq is a persons top political position, that person will never flip to RP. However, if staying the course in Iraq is #3 or #4 on a person's politcial agenda, perhaps they could see the light and join the revolution.

giskard
09-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Comment from an NRA member friend:

"I’d be quicker to chalk it up to a screw up before I’d ascribe sinister motives to the NRA. They are single issue and always try to stay away from anything not related to gun rights or other Bill of Rights issues that are related (unwarranted searches, etc.) So the stuff about them being pro-neocon is only true to the extent that the neocons are pro gun. I can not imagine why they would not want to listen to RP speak. Certainly everyone associated I have talked to is aware of RP and supportive."

speciallyblend
09-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Neo-cons are pro gun? as long they have the guns and we dont. Everyone who spoke almost has passed bills against guns,ha neo-cons progun,thats laughable

JMann
09-27-2007, 08:38 AM
The problem with a lot of great candidates (many in the LP) is that they have no idea how to win an election. They have very solid views with no room for moderation, this is a sure way to be labeled and extremist by the mainstream and solidify the fact they will never gain power.

If Ron Paul has one smart adviser around him the N-word will not be used anymore by him or anyone representing the campaign. If his supporters want him to move beyond 3% in the polls they better learn to move beyond the ignorant rhetoric of the n word, warm mongers and other such hate speech.

It is pretty simple stuff.

JMann
09-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Nope, its not a fact, its an opinion....your's specifically. Neocons are not conservatives. Most people don't want to think they are neocons,they identify themselves as Ronald reagan conservatives, or Goldwater republicans. What is the biggest voting block in this country are traditional conservatives and blue dog democrats. This is who RP needs to appeal to, not the neoconservatives. The irrational haters who cling to every word that comes out of Hannity's mouth will not vote for RP. Those who will trade freedom for security will not vote for RP.

Ron Paul is very effective in differentiating the 2, and yes he does use the term neoconservative to distinguish between traditional conservatives and those manipulators who hijacked the party. He is reminding them of what the roots of the republican party are, and that preemptive war, big gvt programs, and eradication of civil liberties is not "conservative" but neoconservative. He is pretty effective with this, and is the lone voice of reason in the debates.

If it wasn't for Ron Paul I would not have switched parties to a republican, because I thought conservatives were the root of all evil. Now I know the difference, and I am definately a conservative libertarian who hates big govt of all forms. Personally I get charged, kind of like a Rocky Balboa moment, when the Doctor is smacking down the neocons. Speaking truthfully, without mincing the words, does earn the respect of most people, although a few may be offended.

You plan has built a solid group of rabid supporters but it will by no way win a primary or an election. Paul must be acceptable to a majority or Republican primary voters and that IS fact.

pcosmar
09-27-2007, 09:19 AM
If Ron Paul has one smart adviser around him the N-word will not be used anymore by him or anyone representing the campaign. If his supporters want him to move beyond 3% in the polls they better learn to move beyond the ignorant rhetoric of the n word, warm mongers and other such hate speech.
The 3% polls don't mean jack shit. It is a failed polling system meant to persuade the ignorant.
The Neo-Cons can either join us in the Republican Party or the can vote for Hillery. (or stay out of the way)
We are taking this country back.

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
The problem with a lot of great candidates (many in the LP) is that they have no idea how to win an election. They have very solid views with no room for moderation, this is a sure way to be labeled and extremist by the mainstream and solidify the fact they will never gain power.

It is pretty simple stuff.

You had me until you threw out the "hate speech" BS.

JMann
09-27-2007, 10:06 AM
The 3% polls don't mean jack shit. It is a failed polling system meant to persuade the ignorant.
The Neo-Cons can either join us in the Republican Party or the can vote for Hillery. (or stay out of the way)
We are taking this country back.

Same thing the Buchanan Brigades where saying in aught aught. You may be right it could be about 100% low meaning he will get about 6%. This isn't a you better do this or do that baby talk crap, this is a campaign in which he has to get as much support as possible to have an outside shot of winning. Turning off the base by calling them names won't do it bo.

Rivington Essex
09-27-2007, 10:08 AM
The NY MeetUp went to the NRA NY dinner last night and we had very good success. We had a strategy.

1. About 10 volunteers handed out litereature as people walked into the event. They had several signs that were awesome and said "Ron Paul Welcomes the NRA to NY."

2. A few people attended the dinner. They worked the room, collected buisnesss cards and got the support of the local chapter president. (Big Rudy crowd, but wait ...)

3. We then passed out bumber stickers on round 2 of working the room.

One suppoirters said, "Rudy sued gun manufactureers? No way. I am tearing his bumper sticker off my car!" He was given a Ron Paul bumper sticker.

4. At the end, one guy handed out DVD on the way out the door.

5. The group will follow up with e-mails in the next few days askin for money, asking for a vote, asking to go to the web site.

JMann
09-27-2007, 10:08 AM
You had me until you threw out the "hate speech" BS.

Are you saying that using the n-word and terms like warm mongers are terms of endearment?

pcosmar
09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Turning off the base by calling them names won't do it bo.
What base?
Those that want to sell out our security and sovereignty, those that put the interests of corporations ahead of individual rights. Those that want more war in more places. Those that want to control our lives.
That base can go to hell.

Are you saying that using the n-word and terms like warm mongers are terms of endearment?
No they are descriptive. And the word is "Warmonger"

By etymology a warmonger is literally a seller of war, from monger used as a transitive verb, meaning a peddler.

pcosmar
09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
OK now where are all those A+ Pro gun NRA backed Critters when H.R 1096 still has no co-sponsors.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1096

mdh
09-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Unlikely it'd bear any fruit - the NRA isn't about what people think it is about, at least not anymore. We've already got glowing praise from GOA, which seems to be about what it says it is about, on the other hand.

Remember, the NRA has supported anti-2nd-amendment legislation under the banner of it being an acceptable "compromise".

micahnelson
09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Remember, the NRA has supported anti-2nd-amendment legislation under the banner of it being an acceptable "compromise".

This is what our campaign is all about, separating people from their masters. People joined the NRA because they want to protect the second amendment. People vote for Neocons because they want to keep America safe. People vote for democrats because they fight poverty.

Our job isn't to change peoples desires, merely to show them that what they want can only be achieved through liberty, by showing the massive and frequent government failures.

We are showing people that the leaders they are electing are doing a terrible job, deliberate or otherwise, in providing what the people want. Ron Paul's message is... do it yourself and we won't get in your way. As we are finding out, freedom is popular!