PDA

View Full Version : Legislation: The Next Big Bomb?

TCE
08-04-2009, 08:35 PM
HR 1207 was the first real coordinated effort mounted to try and get the grassroots to help pass a good bill through Congress. As of right now, that has been a wild success! With almost 300 cosponsors in the house and almost 25 in the Senate, we are reaching a milestone that we once thought to be unreachable.

My question is this: Behind what bill should we throw our unified success around next? Now, before anyone claims that the work on 1207/604 isn't done yet, I completely agree, those efforts must be continued. However, we are halfway through the first year of this Administration and we should continue to support good bills.

My vote is for HR 1866, The Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2009 Sponsored by Ron Paul, co-sponsored by a bipartisan group of Congressmen, including Barney Frank. This bill has a good chance of getting through the House if the right force is put behind it.

However, I propose the question: What bill (that is passable) should we get behind next?

anaconda
08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Repeal the patriot act. Repeal the military commissions act. Push the End the Fed bill (RP's previous legislation).

dr. hfn
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
read the bills act. term limit bill.

probably should do one that we think we can pass, get some victories under our belt, gain a reputation

AJ Antimony
08-05-2009, 12:42 AM
None until we get 1207 to PASS.

Then, I think it depends when 1207 passes. If it takes a long time to pass (2010), then maybe the best thing to do would wait until the GAO audits the Fed. Then when they expose all the corruption, we might be able to get a lot of support behind an "End the Fed plus Honest Money" Bill.

However, if 1207 passes this year, we'd have a year to do whatever so probably the best thing would be stuff that Obama promised but isn't doing, like 1207 and transparency.

dr. hfn
08-05-2009, 05:39 AM
None until we get 1207 to PASS.

Then, I think it depends when 1207 passes. If it takes a long time to pass (2010), then maybe the best thing to do would wait until the GAO audits the Fed. Then when they expose all the corruption, we might be able to get a lot of support behind an "End the Fed plus Honest Money" Bill.

However, if 1207 passes this year, we'd have a year to do whatever so probably the best thing would be stuff that Obama promised but isn't doing, like 1207 and transparency.

very smart!

olehounddog
08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Read the Bill

AJ Antimony
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
very smart!

Thank you :)

MRoCkEd
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Definitely the Read the Bills act

Another one they will have trouble voting against

TCE
08-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Repeal the patriot act. Repeal the military commissions act. Push the End the Fed bill (RP's previous legislation).

I was going for bills that are likely to pass and not repeals. There are hundreds of laws that need to be repealed, no doubt.

So, agreement on H. Res 216? H. Res 216 on Govtrack (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr111-216)

@AJ: It is likely that the establishment will stall out 1207 as long as possible. I don't see why we should stand still and wait for them while we could be supporting other freedom legislation.

JoshLowry
08-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I was going for bills that are likely to pass and not repeals. There are hundreds of laws that need to be repealed, no doubt.

So, agreement on H. Res 216? H. Res 216 on Govtrack (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr111-216)

@AJ: It is likely that the establishment will stall out 1207 as long as possible. I don't see why we should stand still and wait for them while we could be supporting other freedom legislation.

No, I don't think that bill requires them to read it.

Here is what we need: http://www.downsizedc.org/page/read_the_laws#plue

TCE
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
No, I don't think that bill requires them to read it.

Here is what we need: http://www.downsizedc.org/page/read_the_laws#plue

Ahh. There's going to be some effort than to actually get a congressperson to sponsor it.

AJ Antimony
08-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Who do you think needs to be there to make sure they don't stall out forever? Us! If we can't PASS one easy bill, then what makes you think we could pass other bills?

go_carolina_528
08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
What about a bill to lower the drinking age?

mport1
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Our next big effort should be secession from the federal government, New Hampshire would be preferable.

TCE
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Who do you think needs to be there to make sure they don't stall out forever? Us! If we can't PASS one easy bill, then what makes you think we could pass other bills?

The Democrats can stall out as long as they want as long as their constituents don't notice.

This isn't an easy bill. This has a lot of political pitfalls along with placing us directly against the Fed, arguable the most powerful institution in the Western hemisphere. If we spin it correctly, hopefully the Democrats would jump on board with a "read the bills" bill. Although that bill has the possibility of pissing off Democrats.