PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers on "The Daily Show"

gls
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I just saw the bit that aired last night on the Daily Show about that terrible "Cash for Clunkers" program. It made me remember why I stopped watching the show in the first place. Instead of examining the program whatsoever, Stewart immediately goes on the attack. He plays clips of some Fox News talking heads complaining about how the program has been so "successful", with the implication that they're idiots for complaining about the "success".

No mention that this will make it more difficult for poor people to buy a car. How are poor people in suburban and rural areas realistically supposed to get to work (or start a business) and better their situation in life without first being able to afford a means of transportation?

No mention about how this is basically just another bailout for the auto industry and union executives, in a year where the Federal government is running a TWO TRILLION dollar deficit.

John dismisses ALL complaints outright about the financial cost of cash for clunkers by saying "Yeah says the guys who were for spending billions on the Iraq war". That's a pretty weak response. I sure wasn't for the war. (Speaking of which, Obama's been president for a while now, why are we still in Iraq? :rolleyes:) Maybe John would have a different opinion if $4500 more was taken out of his paycheck every week just to support this wasteful program.

It seems to me like a fairly straightforward propaganda technique. Go on the offensive, choose easy targets (Fox News bozos), and "destroy" a ridiculous straw man argument while avoiding the real issue altogether.

Toward the beginning of the episode Stewart does say something about the massive deficit, a "joke": he says "Much of the debate over the economy is centered on which of Obama's stimulus provisions have actually 'stimulated', and which have consigned our children and grandchildren to a life time of forced labor camps and road kill chilli."

I don't know why people assume this will only negatively effect "our children and grandchildren". The consequences of the past interventionist policies, coupled with the ones currently being implemented, will have disastrous economic implications almost immediately.

It's just sad that so many people think the Daily Show is somehow "better" than all the other mainstream media garbage when in reality it is the same damn thing.

Epic
08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
The purpose of the Daily Show is basically to cover for the establishment, and advocate for increasing the size and scope of government.

It's basically state-run leftist media.

Golding
08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Daily Show and the Colbert Report were good when the Republicans were in control, because they antagonized those in control. Now they're not so good that the Democrats are in control, because they try to ridicule those than antagonize those in control.

For how few differences the Democrats and Republicans have, the only funny thing remaining on those shows has been them so obviously preferring one over the other.

kahless
08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
The Communists seem to be winning the propaganda battle with star puppets like Stewart. It will continue to be a losing battle unless liberty folks with money make the investment in entertainment and news media to counter it.

jmlfod87
08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Clearly Stewart has never read Bastiat's Allegory of the Broken Window http://bastiat.org/en/twisatwins.html

BenIsForRon
08-04-2009, 08:58 PM
You guys clearly don't watch the Daily Show often. Jon gets it wrong sometimes, like on Cash for Badonkadonks, but a lot of times he gets it right too.

Like on how worthless Tim Geithner is:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-29-2009/home-crisis-investigation

and he had a o-k debate with John Bolton, who is a fucking huge warmonger if you don't remember him as UN ambassador under Bush.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-29-2009/john-bolton

andrewh817
08-05-2009, 01:58 AM
John dismisses ALL complaints outright about the financial cost of cash for clunkers by saying "Yeah says the guys who were for spending billions on the Iraq war". That's a pretty weak response. I sure wasn't for the war. (Speaking of which, Obama's been president for a while now, why are we still in Iraq? :rolleyes:) Maybe John would have a different opinion if $4500 more was taken out of his paycheck every week just to support this wasteful program.

It seems to me like a fairly straightforward propaganda technique. Go on the offensive, choose easy targets (Fox News bozos), and "destroy" a ridiculous straw man argument while avoiding the real issue altogether.

Yeah often in propaganda the supporter tries to discredit the critics themselves rather than the actual argument.

Athan
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I have to admit Jon isn't a complete leftist as you all paint him to be. Just uninformed on some issues. He may personally think of getting rid of gas guzzlers is a good thing for the environment and etc. He doesn't dwell on the full scope of the issues however and is just probably angry the republicans seem to be against any sort of deal.

It isn't like Ron Paul and the Revolution has the entire nations' ear all the time. Just on economic policies. Give it time. When everything falls around their ears they will be more inclined to know what is really going on.