PDA

View Full Version : when we flood congress with snail mail

Optatron
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
especially when we send hundreds at a time

don't you think they have a built-in staff or postal worker filtering system where they see too many come in they can just ignore them altogether?

or tell the postal worker "if I get mails this week without the code word _____" just discard it as spam.

there's nothing that says they're obligated to open every mail, is there?

think about those times when people mail CDs, bricks, ...etc. Don't you think they'd just ask the delivery man nicely not to bring it into their office?

Chieppa1
08-04-2009, 05:29 PM
So? Annoying is annoying. Which is the point.

Kludge
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Maybe. We're not out too much if they do discard them, and I expect they will after 10-20.

Either way, it'll at least grab the staffers' (and hopefully the representatives') attention.

MsDoodahs
08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Snail mail and email and fax and phone are totally worthless - they do not give a SHIT what their constituents want.

The only thing that works is to hound them IN THE DISTRICT.

Be at EVERY public event they attend - FUNDRAISERS INCLUDED. Line the streets, wave signs - be a thorn in their side.

Expose them for the rotten snakes that they are.

Hand out info on issues that are important in YOUR district - and do it so the critter KNOWS you are doing it.

Do this IN THE VOTING DISTRICT THEY REPRESENT.

The ONLY way to get their attention is threaten their re-election.

pcosmar
08-04-2009, 05:35 PM
" just discard it as spam.

What?, of course not.
We have a Representative Government. They are honestly interested in the voice of the people.

LOL

Oww! bit my tongue while it was in my cheek.

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 05:35 PM
especially when we send hundreds at a time

don't you think they have a built-in staff or postal worker filtering system where they see too many come in they can just ignore them altogether?

or tell the postal worker "if I get mails this week without the code word _____" just discard it as spam.

there's nothing that says they're obligated to open every mail, is there?

think about those times when people mail CDs, bricks, ...etc. Don't you think they'd just ask the delivery man nicely not to bring it into their office?

The postal service is legally obligated to deliver postage paid mail. They have to do the discarding themselves, but you do have a point. The best thing to do after a mass mailing is a follow-up mass visit and follow up mass phone calls. "Good afternoon, may I please speak to Senator/Congressman so-and-so? I'd like to know if they received my letter re: the healthcare plan?

And you follow up and follow up until the critter takes your call or lets you in his/her office.

free.alive
08-04-2009, 06:47 PM
We should send them thousands of envelopes with just dirt in them.

RideTheDirt
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
We should send them thousands of envelopes with just dirt in them.
or a picture, like this one.

http://brendancalling.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/middle_finger.jpg

Bradley in DC
08-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure all offices tally constituent mail and the topics/stances. It decides how some vote.

Snail mail is more problematic after the anthrax scare.

TastyWheat
08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
It's not so much about the content but the volume. If they're tossing out 1000 snail-mails and 5500 faxes per day (emails are too easy to delete) they'll have to get a little nervous about the effects of their vote.