PDA

View Full Version : New traffic cameras issue 10,000 tickets in the first month of operations

disorderlyvision
08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/08/01/Heathcameras.ART_ART_08-01-09_A1_O1EL5N1.html?sid=101

HEATH, Ohio -- City officials say they were shocked by the number of violations recorded during the first month of traffic-camera enforcement and decided to make it cheaper to protest multiple tickets.

More than 10,000 violations had been recorded by Heath traffic cameras through Tuesday. At $100 apiece, that would net the city a little more than $830,000 after paying the vendor, Redflex, its share.

In four weeks, the cameras will have generated an amount equivalent to roughly 12 percent of the Licking County community's annual budget -- and a lot of anger.

Mayor Richard Waugh said the city's intention was not to saddle drivers with four, six or sometimes eight or more tickets. Citations were not mailed for almost three weeks, however, to give City Council members a chance to modify the program in response to the high number of violations.

That meant some drivers racked up several over a period of days without realizing it until a bundle of tickets arrived in the mail.

Waugh said he sympathizes with drivers facing multiple fines. "If someone was pulled over by police and given a ticket once, that would be enough to modify driving behavior."

Before yesterday, drivers who sought to have their tickets dismissed would have had to post a full $100 bond for each one. Now, they will have to post $100 on only the first ticket to fight all of them, Waugh said. The hearing officer has been instructed to be lenient in cases of similar violations, he said, adding that he hopes that could lead to dismissal of up to half the tickets sent in July.

Waugh said that would cut the city's take, but the cameras were never about money. He said no specific purpose has been identified for the fines, which will go into the city's roughly $7 million general fund.

The cameras have generated fewer tickets each week, and Waugh said the city had expected the number to level off at about 400 a month. He said the city anticipated generating an additional $100,000 from fines this year.

But opponents still call the cameras a cash-grab by the city, questioning their effectiveness as safety devices. Ten cameras watch over six intersections, looking for speeders, red-light runners and other violators. Signs at the intersections warn that the cameras are in use.

According to statistics compiled by the Ohio Department of Transportation, 16 of the 408 traffic crashes reported on Rt. 79 from Hopewell Drive to Irving Wick Drive between 2006 and 2008 were caused by someone running a red light. Six were attributed to cars traveling faster than the 35-mph speed limit. Following too closely was reported as the greatest contributing factor in most crashes, which overwhelmingly were rear-end collisions.

A similar report for Rt. 79 south of Irving Wick found that one of 38 crashes in the same period was caused by speeding. Two speed-enforcement cameras at Coffman Boulevard in that area accounted for more than half of all the tickets issued last month.

Heath Police Chief Tony Shepherd said ODOT's crash data does not tell the whole story. In most noninjury crashes, police do not have the time or manpower to conduct crash-reconstruction analysis, he said. The speeds listed on those crash reports are the speeds reported by the drivers.

Shepherd said officers typically write about 100 traffic tickets a month, mainly because his department is too short-staffed to devote significant time to enforcement.

Shepherd and Waugh disagree with those who say the speed limit at Coffman is artificially low. The four-lane road there travels through a less-congested area of some businesses and homes before opening up to fairly rural countryside south of the city.

Every day in summer, more than 1,500 children travel to the city water park, about a block north of the Coffman intersection near City Hall, Waugh said.

He said raising the speed limit along that stretch would put residents in danger, considering how many drivers already exceed it.

"The speed limit has been 35 there for 40 years," Waugh said, "and there are three signs telling you that before you get to Coffman."

Danke
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
They have had these tickets in the mail for years in Germany. When I was stationed over there, a guy got one in the mail after being gone TDY for a while. The photo showed some dude driving his car with his wife in the passenger seat.

I don't think he ever forgave his wife for letting some stranger drive his car.

ewizacft
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Traffic Enforcement Cameras
Every three years the Heath Police Department sends out a formal survey to 1,000 Heath residents to obtain feedback on their performance and how they are perceived in the community. In May of 2008 some additional questions were asked. The first question was “Remote cameras are a good idea for traffic enforcement (i.e. speeding, red light violations, etc.)?” Twenty five percent of the respondents ‘strongly agreed’ with this statement and thirty one percent ‘agreed’. Another twenty percent were ‘indifferent/don’t know.’ Only nine percent strongly disagreed with this statement.

More than five years ago, the State and Federal government identified a portion of State Route 79 in Heath as one of the top 25 most accident prone stretches of state highways in a municipality in the entire State of Ohio. Photo traffic enforcement has been used successfully in many communities as a tool to slow motorists and reduce accidents. The technology has been challenged in the Ohio Supreme Court; the Court has upheld its use.

Heath has been gathering data on the use of photo enforcement for over a year. A study completed in March 2009 showed over 3,700 speeding violations in one twelve hour period! These violations were not one or two miles over the posted 35 mph limit; they were 11 mph or more over the limit. In another study conducted during the same time period, there were nearly 180 red light and turn violations during two twelve hour studies.

All violations issued via photo enforcement will be reviewed and approved by a Heath patrolman before it is mailed. Citations will be of a civil nature, not criminal. No points will be put on an individual’s license. Ohio is a vehicle owner responsibility state. That means the citation will be mailed to the registered owner. If the owner of the vehicle was not the driver, they then ‘nominate’ the person who was driving their vehicle at the time of the violation. The citation will be forwarded to the nominee.

The City of Heath is anticipating that the photo enforcement system will be up and running by June 1st. We will issue warnings to persons running red lights or speeding for a period of 30 days. Following the 30 day warning period, citations will be issued. The civil penalty for a violation is a $100 fine and must be paid within 30 days.

An appeal process has been implemented. Persons may post a bond equal to the fine and request a hearing. A hearing officer will present evidence which includes a twelve second video clip of the infraction. The violator will be given an opportunity to refute the infraction. After each party has presented their evidence, a judgment will be made. If the person is found guilty the bond is forfeited, if found not guilty the bond is returned.

Will photo enforcement eliminate all accidents? No. Will photo enforcement significantly improve the safety of our citizens? Yes.

Richard J. Waugh
Mayor, City of Heath

Questions? Email Mayor Waugh at mayor@heathohio.gov

ewizacft
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/08/04/copy/trafficcouncil.ART_ART_08-04-09_B1_48ELUC7.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

HEATH, Ohio -- Opponents of Heath's new traffic cameras aren't stopping at a petition aimed at banning the devices.

Of the more than 50 people who packed last night's City Council meeting, more than a dozen spoke out against the cameras that recorded more than 10,000 red-light and speeding violations in their first month.

About 10 people also picketed before the meeting, carrying signs that protested the cameras.

Duane Goodwin of Heath helped collect the 420 signatures on a petition that proposes a ban on the cameras. That's well above the 193 signatures needed to put the issue on the November ballot.

Though signatures still need to be validated, Mayor Richard Waugh said he expects voters to see the issue in November.

Ten cameras watch over six intersections in Heath. The city responded to the high number of citations by allowing people with multiple citations to pay $100 -- the cost of one ticket -- and fight the other tickets.

Goodwin called the city government "hostile and absurd" and demanded that the mayor step down. Bob Antonik of Newark was one of three people who spoke in favor of the cameras and said he feels safer on the roads since they were installed.

"People are saying, 'How dare you put up a camera catching me in a criminal act?' " Antonik said, garnering a few laughs from attendees.

Waugh said the number of tickets is going down steadily and that he expects citations to level out to about 400 a month.

Councilman-at-large Tim Kelley chastised people who now avoid driving through Heath.

"You're not hurting (the council) at all; you're hurting the waitresses, the people who work," Kelley said.

Waugh said the cameras will be discussed further at next week's public-safety meeting.

ewizacft
08-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Ohio is a vehicle owner responsibility state. That means the citation will be mailed to the registered owner. If the owner of the vehicle was not the driver, they then ‘nominate’ the person who was driving their vehicle at the time of the violation. The citation will be forwarded to the nominee.

I nominate...

Richard J. Waugh
Mayor, City of Heath

TCE
08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
They're unconstitutional anyway.

james1906
08-04-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/08/04/copy/trafficcouncil.ART_ART_08-04-09_B1_48ELUC7.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

Councilman-at-large Tim Kelley chastised people who now avoid driving through Heath.

"You're not hurting (the council) at all; you're hurting the waitresses, the people who work," Kelley said.

Sounds like people are voting with their feet (or wheels) and it's having an effect. When these cameras are driving away business, then statist douchenozzles like Tim Kelley will start to demand their removal.

youngbuck
08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
They should be destroyed.

smokedbacon
09-17-2009, 07:23 AM
I also sent this to the Mayor of Heath as he posted his email addy here.
On Monday September the 14th I went o the Heath Municipal Building about a AUTOMATED TICKET. While there I was advised by a employee if I was nice they might just let this slide! Being nice gets you ought of a $100 ticket? Well I was nice but ran into the person only doing their job. Result was well you an mail your money in. OK so in the process of leaving I witnessed the Mayor of Heath in his Jeep leaving. He left the parking lot and pulled out. I watched him as he approached ST RT 79 and low and behold he rolled through the stop sign to turn left onto SR RT79 heading towards Newark! His jeep would show up on video at ST RT 79 and Heath RD heading north on ST RT 79 at about 15:00 hrs.
I also point out numerous violations are being dropped at a whim. Case in point one person racked up 8 tickets in one day! Well they dropped all but one! I bet she was a voting resident of Heath. I wonder how many others in heath are getting off as the mayor is up for election ?
I am going to see If I can file a sworn affidavit affirming that I did indeed witness his infraction and demand a traffic citation be awarded to him! What he preaches he should likewise practice!
I'd also point out locally a former (as he was fired afterwards) Ohio State Highway patrolman off duty was caught doing 147MPH on his motorcycle and was only charged with speeding (not reckless operation) he was fined only $150, speed limit was 65MPH. Lets see a possible rounded up 45MPH in a 35 MPH gets a $100 Fine? This mayor needs to be unemployed and voluntarily pay his stop sign violation!
I also request the good mayor to point the public to the accident data that tells of the exact location of the accidents. My bet is 85% or better is a failure to yield as people try to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get onto ST RT 79 in the Heath Southgate area a poorly designed old outdated shopping center with no service road to avoid this traffic problem.
The good mayor can reply as to if he will pay for his stop sign violation and explain a $100 fine in like of the Ohio Highway patrol mans fine of only $150 as well!

KCIndy
09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
...:mad:...

Waugh said that would cut the city's take, but the cameras were never about money.

BULLSH*T ALERT!
BULLSH*T ALERT!!

PaulaGem
09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I also sent this to the Mayor of Heath as he posted his email addy here.
On Monday September the 17th I went o the Heath Municipal Building about a AUTOMATED TICKET. While there I was advised by a employee if I was nice they might just let this slide! Being nice gets you ought of a $100 ticket? Well I was nice but ran into the person only doing their job. Result was well you an mail your money in. OK so in the process of leaving I witnessed the Mayor of Heath in his Jeep leaving. He left the parking lot and pulled out. I watched him as he approached ST RT 79 and low and behold he rolled through the stop sign to turn left onto SR RT79 heading towards Newark! His jeep would show up on video at ST RT 79 and Heath RD heading north on ST RT 79 at about 15:00 hrs.
I also point out numerous violations are being dropped at a whim. Case in point one person racked up 8 tickets in one day! Well they dropped all but one! I bet she was a voting resident of Heath. I wonder how many others in heath are getting off as the mayor is up for election ?
I am going to see If I can file a sworn affidavit affirming that I did indeed witness his infraction and demand a traffic citation be awarded to him! What he preaches he should likewise practice!
I'd also point out locally a former (as he was fired afterwards) Ohio State Highway patrolman off duty was caught doing 147MPH on his motorcycle and was only charged with speeding (not reckless operation) he was fined only $150, speed limit was 65MPH. Lets see a possible rounded up 45MPH in a 35 MPH gets a $100 Fine? This mayor needs to be unemployed and voluntarily pay his stop sign violation!
I also request the good mayor to point the public to the accident data that tells of the exact location of the accidents. My bet is 85% or better is a failure to yield as people try to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get onto ST RT 79 in the Heath Southgate area a poorly designed old outdated shopping center with no service road to avoid this traffic problem.
The good mayor can reply as to if he will pay for his stop sign violation and explain a $100 fine in like of the Ohio Highway patrol mans fine of only $150 as well!

I once had a problem with people parking in front of my driveway and was told that the court would issua a ticket if given a photo and a sworn affidavit.

I bet he does the same thing each day. Get a couple of more observations first and file a "patterns and practices" suit alleging unequal protection under the law. That should get all the tickets dismissed.

Hmm, just thinking outloud, this isn't legal advice, but what if you could get 20 different peole to get the goods on a variety of city officials?

I would get as much evidence as I could first.. Inform them in writing that you want all the tickets dismissed on federal grounds. Then sue if they don't.

I really believe the Federal courts need to be bombarded with this sort of action.

Volitzer
09-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Yep the economy is bad so these towns are using legal extortion via traffic enforcement to raise money.

InterestedParticipant
09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Here's what the public in Europe has done about these Cameras...my understanding is that the French gov't has given up and stopped replacing the cameras because they are destroyed as fast as they can be replaced.

Why do American's acquiesce to "our" Gov't's unconstitutional steps to spy on us? I just don't get it.

Speed Cameras Attacked in France, Ireland, Poland, The Netherlands and UK
http://goldiron.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/speed-cameras-attacked-in-france-ireland-poland-the-netherlands-and-uk/

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/pix/plburncan.jpg
Vigilantes around the world continued to take on speed cameras in the past week. On Thursday, device in Dorset, England was destroyed by fire, the Bournemouth Echo reported. The machine had been issuing tickets on Magna Road in Bearwood. The latest incident followed two similar attacks on speed cameras in the area in recent weeks. Police have no suspects.

In Lancashire, a speed camera pole was bent at a 45 degree angle last Sunday. The incident rendered the device on the B5246 between Rufford and Mere Brow incapable of issuing tickets. Even though the camera has been attacked on several prior occasions, local police insisted to Champion Newspapers that the incident was “not suspicious.”

In Northamptonshire, a vigilante grabbed a speed camera from the M1 motorway sometime last week. The Northampton Chronicle and Echo reported that the device had been locked on a bridge near Daventry. Police have no suspects.

A vigilante in the city of Szczecin, Poland took a five-liter can of gasoline, poured it on a pile of used tires to create a massive fire around a speed camera. According to witnesses, flames shot seven feet into the air. Local police told Fakt that the inner workings of the camera survived the blaze.

In Raucoules, a commune in south-central France, vigilantes covered a recently installed speed camera with gray paint. This marked the third such attack in the past few months in an area known as La Detourbe, Le Progres reported.

In Amsterdam, motorist Jack Visser decided to protest the use of automated ticketing machines. Simply by holding a sign reading, “Warning: Radar” he was able to sabotage a local speed trap. Upset police politely asked him to leave for his own safety, according to De Telegraaf.

The most serious attack took place in Ireland on Thursday as a manned speed camera van was hit with a petrol bomb, the Irish Times reported. The automated ticketing machine had been parked on an estate driveway on the main Blarney to Tower Road in Cork at around 7:30pm. An unidentified man broke the passenger-side window and tossed in the device which failed to catch fire. Neither the driver nor the machinery suffered any damage.