PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cracks Down on Resident Over Fake 'Astroturf' Lawn

disorderlyvision
08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2009/08/landmark_commission_tells_man.php

Just as a Friend of Unfair Park was sending along photos of Jose Escobedo's phony front lawn, Melissa Crowe, one of our summer interns, walked into my office to report that the lawn's no mow ... pardon, the lawn's no more. At least, that's how the Landmark Commission ruled moments ago at Dallas City Hall when deciding after all that, nope, phony grass just ain't consistent with a historic district, sorry. Said commissioner Ann Piper, the neigborhood dates back to the early 1900s, and "there wouldn't have been artificial turf used in that period."

Reports Melissa, the vote was unanimous -- and came after only 20 minutes of discussion, including a defense mounted by Escobedo (and his translator, who said Escobedo didn't understand warnings from the city that had been English-only). Commissioner Luis Cruz especially was offended not only by the lawn, but Escobedo's attitude -- a "lack of respect" -- during the presentation. Escobedo now has 30 days to appeal the ruling to the City Plan Commission.

Says our good Friend, a neighborhood of Esobedo's, "As you can see the lawn looks GREAT. A little movie-set like, kinda too perfect, but nice. And it really is more environmentally friendly. It's supposed to last 20 years. So that's 20 years of no water, no fertilizer, and no lawn mower exhaust. Plus I hear it's all the rage in L.A." Another photo follows.

phill4paul
08-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Fake lawns have come a long way. When you add up the yearly cost of lawn maintenance and water usage I can see where some would choose this direction.

As a lawn maintenance provider it killed me last year to spend so much time on lawns (lime, Milorganite, etc..) only to see water restrictions and dead lawns.

Xeriscaping seems to me the best way to go, but everyone has that image of what a perfect lawn should look like.

moostraks
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
:D I think it looks great, from the picture. I wonder what it looks like in person?

phill4paul
08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
:D I think it looks great, from the picture. I wonder what it looks like in person?

LOL I hadn't even looked at the picture. In the background you can see the neighbors unmowed and under fertilized lawn. Yep, his neighbor called him in.:D

Dr.3D
08-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, maybe it is time to pave the darned thing with green concrete.

moostraks
08-04-2009, 06:01 PM
LOL I hadn't even looked at the picture. In the background you can see the neighbors unmowed and under fertilized lawn. Yep, his neighbor called him in.:D

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the neighbor's lawn. It wouldn't be surprising to find out you are right!

dannno
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Damn, lawn looks really good to me..

Sandra
08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Some astrturf looks darn good, even close up.

satchelmcqueen
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
whats up with tattle tale neighbors in the last few years? leave the guy the fuck alone i say.