PDA

View Full Version : Questions needed for townhall meetings

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Let's come up with a good list of questions for those folks who have reps trying to sell the healthcare bill. It's time to inundate them from all angles.

Here's my question:

What program in the past can be considered a shining example of what the government has successfully implemented on behalf of the American people?

MsDoodahs
08-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Let's come up with a good list of questions for those folks who have reps trying to sell the healthcare bill. It's time to inundate them from all angles.

Here's my question:

What program in the past can be considered a shining example of what the government has successfully implemented on behalf of the American people?

If the answer they give is "medicare," know the year medicare is predicted to go broke, I think it is pretty soon but I'm not sure of the year.

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
They aren't pitching medicare as a success are they??? Isn't it a ponzi scheme like SS?

acptulsa
08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Given that the pharmaceutical industry has been among the top five contributors to political campaigns for some years now, how do we know that our interests will come before theirs? Will we be able to compete with that kind of cash for your kind attentions?

They aren't pitching medicare as a success are they??? Isn't it a ponzi scheme like SS?

They try to, of course. So, as MsD says, have your rebuttals ready.

MsDoodahs
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
We need the text of the bill so we can look it over.

Anyone have a link?

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Many, many doctors won't accept medicare.

Matt Collins
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Ask them where (insert blank here) is authorized in the Constitution. And don't let them get away with the standard cop out of either general welfare clause or interstate commerce clause.

acptulsa
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Many, many doctors won't accept medicare...

...How do we know that this won't send a host of doctors fleeing into other professions? Can you guarantee they'll stay in the business even though you're doing to all of them what many of them refuse to endure?

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
We need the text of the bill so we can look it over.

Anyone have a link?

Calling my congressman's office

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Here's the link to the bill: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR03200:@@@L&summ2=m&

wer
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
If there was a gangster who came to you with a new plan for you 'health care' wouldn't you just give him the money? This is all a game and you just keep playing it. Look, it doesn't matter what you say. It doesn't matter what they do. They are just robbing you. They don't care what you ask. It doesn't matter. They have control and you don't. It doesn't matter who is in office, republican or democrat, they are all on the side side in the end, the side of money.

Feenix566
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
List of questions:

How much money will the public option get annually from the taxpayers?

Do you think it's fair to force taxpayers to pay for something they may not use or want?

Do you think it's appropriate for the government to take working people's wages in order to pay for health care for non-working people?

Do you think it's appropriate for the government to impose fines on individuals who choose not to purchase health insurance?

Do you think it's appropriate for a government employee to determine the salary of doctors? (it's in the bill)

Given that under the proposed plan the government will determine doctors' salaries, how many young people do you estimate will decide not to become doctors in the coming years?

If government health care is a good idea, why not government food? Government clothing? Government housing?

If health care is a right, how can a person have a right to something that requires labor from another person? Isn't that slavery?

Why do you hate America?

Bucjason
08-04-2009, 02:56 PM
What specific part of the constitution grants you this authority, Mr./mrs. Senator ??

Why are you violating your oath by ignoring the 10th amendment to the constitution??
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people"

TastyWheat
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I think the "public option" is out, but it might be good to ask how private companies can effectively compete with publicly subsidized plans (like Medicare and Medicaid) that don't have to be self-sufficient. Or one should ask why the co-op program (what I understand is on the table now) will be successful when they typically fail.

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
All excellent questions. Now we need to plan for their rebuttals.

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
If there was a gangster who came to you with a new plan for you 'health care' wouldn't you just give him the money? This is all a game and you just keep playing it. Look, it doesn't matter what you say. It doesn't matter what they do. They are just robbing you. They don't care what you ask. It doesn't matter. They have control and you don't. It doesn't matter who is in office, republican or democrat, they are all on the side side in the end, the side of money.

Do you have an alternate plan? If so, I'd like to hear it. As far as I am concerned, it is time for people to stand up and be heard, it's time for people to run against the incumbents and throw the rascals out. It's time to flood their home offices with letters, calls, and visits. It's time for a tax revolt. It's time.

MsDoodahs
08-04-2009, 05:18 PM
And don't just go to their "townhall" meetings.

It is time to be outside their offices with signs and handouts EVERY FRIKKEN DAY.

Be at EVERY EVENT they attend - LINE THE ROUTE to the event with sign waving people.

Be the biggest thorn in their sides they ever could imagine.

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Here's the pdf for the healthcare plan - all 1018 pages: http://edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf/publications/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf

tangent4ronpaul
08-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, that's not the text. It's changed, and the final version will not be available until right before it comes up for a vote.

I was further told that I would have to come into the congress critters office to access it, and it was kind of implied that might mean buy a copy. Either that or read on site.

Hopefully a Repub will put it up in pdf format.

Jeay - double checked - the date on that is July 14th, and it's changed since then.

-t

btw: the Repub alternative bill and the Food Safety bill have not been put up as far as I can tell, the latter in it's current version that was passed, the former at all, beyond a 2 page summary.

Transparency my ass!

MsDoodahs
08-04-2009, 08:31 PM
That should be a question for every critter - will you vote on a bill that you have - personally - neither read nor understand?

tangent4ronpaul
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
That should be a question for every critter - will you vote on a bill that you have - personally - neither read nor understand?

This one (Health Care), I think my critter actually read. All versions of it - no, and if he has he knows he's lying from statements he's made at a town meeting.

-t

MsDoodahs
08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Bumping for more questions from Ben and Sandra.

:)

angelatc
08-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Yes they do. An oft-heard talking point is that the same people trying to stop health care are the same people who would have protested SS and Medicare in the past.

BenIsForRon
08-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Here's a couple things that concern me:

"Why is the pharmaceutical industry lobbying for this bill? What do they have to gain?"

"Why is the bill 1200 pages long? Have you read it? Do you disagree with anything in it?"

Hell, even some educated single-payer advocates believe Obama's system could be worse than the system we're currently under!. Check this video out, they propose quite a few serious questions:

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07242009/watch.html

MsDoodahs
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Maybe ask the rep if he can explain the DROP IN COSTS in the field of plastic surgery? Then follow with an explanation of why?