PDA

View Full Version : "is this that Ron Paul group"

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
The first Eastern Shore CFL meeting is scheduled to take place on August 10th but now the location is up in the air.

We were scheduled to meet at the Talbot County library and this meeting was booked two weeks ago but just a few minutes ago I got a call from the library that was very interesting to say the least.

I was specifically asked "Is this that Ron Paul group" to which I explained that it was founded by Ron Paul but that we were our own organization with chapters across the country. She then explained that political groups were not allowed to meet there so we would have to find somewhere else.

Funny thing, we were kicked out of the Caroline County public library (where it was first booked) for almost the same reason and thois decision was only made after they "researched" the CFL.

So now we have 6 days to find another place where we can hold a public meeting and 6 days to call everyone who was planning to attend so that they can know where to go now. That is assuming the next place does not find some reason to kick us out.

Is there any way at all to fight this? Can the main CFL office fight this? I am so pissed off right now it is not even funny because I know why they did it because you could hear it in the tone of the voice but how to prove it? I even called the board of elections in my county and they informed me that politically based organizations being denied access to public libraries is new to them and that other political groups have been allowed access in the past.

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
If its a public library, aren't they bound by the same rules as other public buildings? Aren't they taxpayer supported?

angelatc
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Try appealing to the county commissioners.

specsaregood
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Have you tried searching the web to find previous meetings at those libraries by other political groups?

torchbearer
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
banquet room at shoney's works in a pinch.

LittleLightShining
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Meeting locations have been challenging here, too. Libraries differ in these parts, some charge money, some don't but I've yet to hear of a flat out denial. If I was you I would call back and ask if you can have a list of all the scheduled meetings.

MRoCkEd
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
just show up anyway
if they say you have to leave, ask for a refund of your membership fee

angelatc
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
The web page does not specifically exclude political groups.

It does say that The Board of Trustees reserves the right to make exceptions as needed. That's who an appeal should be directed to. But somebody who is not angry should make the appeal.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
If its a public library, aren't they bound by the same rules as other public buildings? Aren't they taxpayer supported?

Yes they are taxpayer supported and in MD they are free to the public... unless of course they disagree with you politically I guess.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
banquet room at shoney's works in a pinch.

I wish we had a shoney's.. the best I could come up with would be a Denny's but we have several speeches planned and I am sure they would not appreciate having people make political speeches in the middle of their restaurant.

specsaregood
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Edit: just realized you were in MD, not FL.

Kraig
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
This is a public library right? Politicians can take you money to fund a library but you can't use the same library to discuss politics? WTF? Am I the only one who sees the irony there?

TonySutton
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
You should have someone in your group call and schedule a meeting to discuss "Why we need Universal Healthcare Now." If they approve this meeting, especially if it is the same representative from the library approving it, then you should contact the trustees with your complaint and make sure they understand that if you are not satisfied you will be discussing this with the local media.

Mini-Me
08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
You should have someone in your group call and schedule a meeting to discuss "Why we need Universal Healthcare Now." If they approve this meeting, especially if it is the same representative from the library approving it, then you should contact the trustees with your complaint and make sure they understand that if you are not satisfied you will be discussing this with the local media.

That's a good idea...check their position for consistency.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
That's a good idea...check their position for consistency.

Yeah I am going to have my wife call back this evening and try to book a pro Obama group. Just to see what happens.

In the meantime.. if anyone knows someone who may be friendly to the cause or at least feels like we are getting a sham and lives on the eastern side of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland that may have a spot we can use for free than please let me know. We are really in a bind now.

specsaregood
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
//

Kraig
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Can you just get a meeting room in a hotel or is that outside of your budget? (I have no idea what they cost)

erowe1
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Is there any way at all to fight this?

I would start by researching what other groups they let meet there. Do they let environmentalists? 9/11 truthers? Skeptics? Atheists? Feminists? Gay rights proponents? Any of those kinds of groups are equally politically oriented as CFL. And CFL is a nonpartisan group.

acptulsa
08-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Have you tried any of the VFWs? I know our RP group had plenty of meetings at them during the campaign.

Clubs are another good bet--Moose, Elk, Kiwana, whatever...

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Have you tried any of the VFWs? I know our RP group had plenty of meetings at them during the campaign.

The local VFW charges about $700 a night and this is our first meeting so we literally have no budget to work with or else I would just a place. I would even rent a place on my own dime if I could but the cheapest I can find is about $235 a night.

Epic
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
The local VFW charges about $700 a night and this is our first meeting so we literally have no budget to work with or else I would just a place. I would even rent a place on my own dime if I could but the cheapest I can find is about $235 a night.

You can't just do it at somebody's house?

TonySutton
08-04-2009, 01:52 PM
How many people are you expecting to show up?

Have you checked all of these resources?

http://myfamilyneeds.info/organizations.php?categoryid=124&mode=list&catname=meeting+rooms

JamesButabi
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
You can't just do it at somebody's house?

I agree with this. How big is your CFL meeting?

Eric21ND
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Give us some more specifics, how large is the group, how long do you need the space, how much space do you think you'll need, how many days, etc.

Could you hold it at someone's house by any chance?

hvac ak47
08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I live in Dorchester county and would like to help and attend the meeting.

If you want help with the $235 a night place I would be able to go half.

Maybe we could rent a tent and just go to a park.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-04-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree with this. How big is your CFL meeting?

From the phone calls and e-mails we have had we are expecting about 40-45 people. You guys know how these things go so even if half of those showed up I would be happy because that is a good start.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Thank you so much for your offer. I have sent you a PM with some info so hopefully we can get this done.

I live in Dorchester county and would like to help and attend the meeting.

If you want help with the $235 a night place I would be able to go half.

Maybe we could rent a tent and just go to a park.

Deborah K
08-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Call the ACLU. If they don't help you call the ACLJ: http://www.aclj.org/ and then make sure everyone knows what hypocrites the ACLU are.

specsaregood
08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Courtesy of a poster on GIM:

Pull a freedom of information request on them. Look for political groups / discussions as pointed out previously in the thread. And for reference the Room Rules are here (http://www.tcfl.org/library/libinfo9.html). I' am sure that the have had previous political groups in there. Contact the news media NOW. And don't warn the library about doing so. Don't let up on getting the employee fired (settle for a month's unpaid leave).

From the link above:

Meeting Room Facilities
The Talbot County Free Library welcomes the use of its Meeting Room by non-profit community groups for meetings and programs of cultural, civic and educational character, subject to the following rules. Failure to observe any of the rules may result in the denial of permission for that group to use the Meeting Room.

The Meeting Room may not be reserved for groups of fewer than 6 people. The room may not be used for social gatherings, money-making or promotional projects, group activities resulting in more than normal wear and tear, or those which in the judgment of the library's Director, are inappropriate.

The library retains the right to cancel a reservation when necessary. If a reservation must be canceled, at least a week's notice will be given, except in cases of unusual emergency.

Reservations for the Meeting Room must be made through the library's secretary. Full information as to the nature of the group, the number expected, and the purpose of the meeting shall be provided. The reserving organization shall provide the name, address, and telephone number of a coordinator who will be responsible for the conduct of those attending the meeting and ensuring the room is left in good order. The library will not be responsible for loss or theft.

The library should be notified of cancellations. Repeated failure to do so could result in a group being denied use of the room.

If the kitchen is needed, it should be reserved at the time the Meeting Room is reserved. The library will not store supplies for any groups. The kitchen must be left clean and tidy.

The Meeting Room is available to be booked for meetings beginning fifteen minute after scheduled opening hours through fifteen minutes before closing hours. If there is an emergency library closing, the booking will be cancelled.

There is no charge for the use of the Meeting Room during regular library hours. Any arrangements for overtime must be made in advance, in which case a $20 fee will be applied per hour or any part of an hour, and must be paid upon leaving, to the staff member who has agreed to stay. Talbot County Government Agencies are exempt from the overtime fee, but should make every effort to end meetings on time.

Permission to use the Meeting Room does not constitute nor imply a statement of support by the Board of Trustees for the organization or for the content of the meeting.

Rules:

1.The meeting room will not be opened before 9:00 a.m.
2.All meetings must be open to the public.
3.No smoking, alcohol, or drugs are allowed in the Meeting Room. Groups breaking this rule are not allowed to return.
4.No admission may be charged or any fees solicited. No product may be sold. The only exceptions are the fees for regularly scheduled educational courses or the prepaid registrations for conferences or workshops, for which special permission must be obtained. Such fees must be collected off the premises.
5.All meetings must end on time. No meeting shall last after hours unless previous arrangements have been made.
6.The capacity of the room is one hundred fifty (150) people. The reserving group is responsible for seeing that this limit is observed. Doors must remain free and easily accessible at all times. The fire doors shall be used only in an emergency.
7.The room and the kitchen must be left clean and tidy. Organizations must provide their own supplies and take away the surplus when they leave. Coffee urns, when used, must be left clean.
8.No exhibits, maps, charts, posters, etc. may be hung on the walls. Use the bulletin board and the picture rail. Walls may not be used.
9.Users of the room cannot use the library parking lot.
10.The library staff will not provide any services. The task of setting up the room is the group's responsibility.
11.No group is allowed to reserve the room more than three (3) times in one year. Only the Director may make exceptions to this rule.
12.No organization shall use the library as a mailing address.
13.The Board of Trustees reserves the right to make exceptions as needed.

I don't see anything in those rules that would exclude your group.

What type of organization is the Campaign For Liberty?
The Campaign for Liberty is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. A "501(c)(4)" is an organization not organized for profit and operated "exclusively for the promotion of social welfare." It is essentially a tax designation. There are many different tax categories for political organizations, each with its own pros and cons. In our case, the pros include having no limit on the amount that individuals may donate, while cons include a restriction from endorsing political candidates. Those who would like to donate to an organization that can support political candidates should donate to a Poltical Action Committee (PAC) such as the Liberty PAC. Donations to 501(c)(4)'s are NOT tax deductible.

So the cfl is non-profit (allowed) and meant for education and civic purposes (allowed).

It's time to hit back.

specsaregood
08-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Room Rules screenshot for posterity:

http://72.73.236.82/downloads/talboutcountyLibraryRoomRules.jpg

disorderlyvision
08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I have called my library before they said they do not allow religious or political meetings

specsaregood
08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Further more:

These guys had a meeting there a year ago:
http://www.ceds.org/#Who_We_Are

Community & Environmental Defense Services (CEDS) has the highest success rate in the nation when it comes to helping people protect their interests from the impact of poorly-planned land-development projects. We are a nationwide network of more than 135 attorneys and dozens of other professionals including planners, environmental scientists, traffic engineers, political strategists, and fundraisers, to name but a few.

Our clients win 90% of the time, which is a far greater success rate than citizens usually experience. Our success rate is so unusually high because of the Politically Oriented Advocacy approach we take to waging land use, zoning, and environmental battles.

http://www.midshore.org/about/pdfs/minutes/Bmins_200809.pdf

Mr. Warner stated there was a CEDS meeting held on August 26, 2008 at the
Talbot County Free Library in Easton at which time a review of goals, objectives
and progress on projects was conducted

I don't see why they should be allowed and a cfl would not.

CaseyJones
08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
Mahatma Gandhi

james1906
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Many Chinese restaurants have banquet rooms. As long as everyone's buying food, you should be alright.

lynnf
08-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Many Chinese restaurants have banquet rooms. As long as everyone's buying food, you should be alright.

and the same for International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and some Golden Corrals
or Sirloin Stockades

lynn

LittleLightShining
08-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Fight them, Joe! Take this all the way!

Elwar
08-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Call and ask if your Kucinich Communist meeting could be held in the Library.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I am contacting the ACLU and my attorney. The library staff is saying that the state will not allow it because we are a "lobbyist group".

so yeah I am going to fight them on this and try to get answers.

As for the meeting a restaurant idea, it is a good one however we are trying to attract as many people as possible. This area is a fairly poor area and I am afraid that there may be some people who would skip the meeting for the simple fact that they could not afford to eat out. If my home were large enough to accomodate this than I would do it but people are not allowed to park on my street and my driveway will only hold three vehicles at the most. At this point I am thinking about just going to a local park and holding it there.

I have contacted my town hall about using a public building and I was sure to stress what had happened to us with the public libraries so hopefully they will give us access to their rooms which are also paid for by the taxpayers and should be open to us.

s35wf
08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
and the same for International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and some Golden Corrals
or Sirloin Stockades

lynn

Almost ALL restaurants have a Banquet Room that they let people Use for FREE cuz they figure people will buy food. Denny's, Perkins, Ihop, Golden Corral, Sizzler, Ponderosa, etc..... Call Some of Them! :)

Good Luck!

sratiug
08-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Call back and tell them the cancellation is illegal and you will be there as scheduled with cameras.

tron paul
08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Don't pick a fight, just tell them what they need to hear.

Say you're 'Communists For Kucinich' and the librarians will set out microroast coffee and organic pastries. Yum!

Remember, it's easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

Mrs.Joe
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Well we have the md leader for the cfl in it and are going to be making progress soon...whether by force or reason...

devil21
08-05-2009, 06:17 PM
If you really want to know if its politically motivated, just have one of your members they havent seen call up that same woman and ask if they can hold an Obama meeting. Talk about believing in Change and wanting to help everyone and all that nonsense. The response should tell you all you need to know.

LittleLightShining
08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Update?

specsaregood
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Update?

It appears they found a different location.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=204693

Tonight will be the CFL meeting in Easton,MD. If you are in the MD/DE area and would like to attend than we would love to have you. The address of the meeting place is:

29509 Canvasback Dr, Suite 201
Easton,MD 21601

This building is in the cluster of retail/office space behind the Easton Wal-Mart.

If you have family or friends in the area than PLEASE give them a call and let them know about this as not only is it important to get involved but I will also be making my first campaign speech tonight and would love to see a room full of people.

But I am still interested in if they made any headway or updates on the library situation specifically.

Ferus
08-14-2009, 03:30 AM
You should still pursue this blatant violation of liberty. Don't make Ferus come up there!