PDA

View Full Version : Inspire Young Minds by Volunteering to Teach a Class on the Constitution

disorderlyvision
08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
ACS is pleased to announce one of our signature programs: Constitution in the Classroom, which will include an ACS-wide volunteer effort this fall!

About Constitution in the Classroom

Constitution in the Classroom is an ACS effort to bring our members and supporters into primary and secondary school classrooms to raise awareness of fundamental constitutional principles. As lawyers, law students and educators, we have a resource that we can share with students: our knowledge and appreciation of the Constitution. By spending as little as one hour teaching in a high school, middle school or elementary school classroom, you can excite young minds about their constitutional rights and responsibilities.

Our fall 2009 Constitution in the Classroom project will include a national volunteer effort, placing ACS volunteers in classrooms across the country on or around Constitution Day, Thursday, September 17th. As a volunteer, ACS will provide you with grade-specific lesson plans and tips for finding a classroom.

Get Involved

If you are interested in participating in Constitution in the Classroom, either by volunteering in a classroom or becoming a Project Coordinator to implement an effort on behalf of your region, please sign up online HERE, (http://www.acslaw.org/conclass/signup)or email us at classroom@acslaw.org. For volunteers in the Washington, D.C. metro area, please sign up HERE. (http://acslaw.org/dc-citc) For more information about Constitution in the Classroom, please visit us at www.acslaw.org/conclass.

disorderlyvision
08-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Bump

Any volunteers??

powerofreason
08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Can I use Lysander Spooner's No Treason VI: The Constitution of No Authority (http://lysanderspooner.org/node/64)?

[W]hoever desires liberty, should understand these vital facts, viz.: 1. That every man who puts money into the hands of a “government” (so called) puts into its hands a sword which will be used against himself, to extort more money from him, and also to keep him in subjection to its arbitrary will. 2. That those who will take his money, without his consent, in the first place, will use it for his further robbery and enslavement, if he presumes to resist their demands in the future. 3. That it is a perfect absurdity to suppose that any body of men would ever take a man’s money without his consent, for any such object as they profess to take it for, viz., that of protecting him; for why should they wish to protect him, if he does not wish them to do so?… 4. If a man wants “protection,” he is competent to make his own bargains for it; and nobody has any occasion to rob him, in order to “protect” him against his will. 5. That the only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in their keeping their money in their own pockets, until they have assurances, perfectly satisfactory to themselves, that it will be used as they wish it to be used, for their benefit, and not for their injury. 6. That no government, so called, can reasonably be trusted for a moment, or reasonably be supposed to have honest purposes in view, any longer than it depends wholly upon voluntary support.

–Lysander Spooner,
No Treason: the Constitution of No Authority

literatim
08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Can I use Lysander Spooner's No Treason VI: The Constitution of No Authority (http://lysanderspooner.org/node/64)?

–Lysander Spooner,
No Treason: the Constitution of No Authority

Would you just go away and quit trolling every thread?

powerofreason
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Would you just go away and quit trolling every thread?

What do you mean? I want to teach a class on the Constitution.

disorderlyvision
08-05-2009, 03:17 AM
What do you mean? I want to teach a class on the Constitution.

Maybe you could tell them how Lysander used the second amendment to argue against slavery. That was a pretty unique perspective. He also used the constitution to argue against the government's postal monopoly. He had some interesting thoughts on Article I sec 6. He also believed that the south had the right to succeed, and were correct in attacking the northern invaders, so he was apparently pro 10th amendment/states rights. seems to me if you look past all his anti-constiutional sentiments he was quite the constitutionalist.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are looking for Spooner lecturers. His 200th birthday was a few months back, so I think you missed your opportunity. you might be better off touching up on the anti-federalist papers, Badnarik, Napolatano...Heck maybe even Ron Paul

disorderlyvision
08-08-2009, 03:50 PM
bump