PDA

View Full Version : "SHOW OF FORCE" Are we too scared to show our own force?

Reason
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
When I took AOJ (Administration Of Justice aka COP) courses at college back when I wanted to be a cop before joining the Air Force, I remember a discussion about the police version of the term "show of force".

The professor (retired cop of 30+ years) explained that one of the main reasons for why you will sometimes see 2,3,4+ cop cars pulled over behind one car on a busy street is because they are exhibiting a "show of force" in order to create a public perception of there being many more cops around than there actually are.

I was thinking...

Why don't citizens demonstrate a "show of force"?

There is no reason a few people can't pull over in a safe location and walk close enough to film a traffic stop and still be far enough away to be safe from any accusation of "interference".

I believe a good response to any questioning officer would be to turn the tables around and say "If you are just doing your job within the established legal boundaries you have no reason to complain do you? Certainly you weren't doing anything that wouldn't mind having filmed?

Or are we too scared?

my 2 cents

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50315828/Metallic_Rubber_Balls.jpg
Do you have any?

slothman
08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
The only reason I can think of is that the police will find a way to arrest them anyways.
They have already arrested people who photograph their "services".

Reason
08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
The only reason I can think of is that the police will find a way to arrest them anyways.
They have already arrested people who photograph their "services".

I think it would be difficult to justify the arrest of a small group of calm citizens standing 100 feet away with cameras.

Especially hard to justify once in court with a disorderly conduct charge when you show the video and explain your intentions of assisting in the protection of ordinary citizens from any possible police abuses.

In my home city actually, we recently had a cop fired that had been offering woman the opportunity to give sexual favors to prevent a ticket.

Something tells me that probably would not have happened if there had been a few people standing around with cameras...

:cool:

Standing Like A Rock
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Damn... i thought this thread was going to be about an armed march on washington dc or something.... still a good idea thought

free.alive
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
We need to get laws passed like they used to have in Britain which prohibited most police from carrying guns.

free.alive
08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
And then make a hard push to repeal all gun restrictions on the people.

That should correct most problems we have with bullying and abusive cops.

Police can't prevent crime; they can only catch criminals after they commit a crime.

free.alive
08-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Damn... i thought this thread was going to be about an armed march on washington dc or something.... still a good idea thought

Brilliant!

A million-man 2nd amendment march on Washington!

(fears of such a thing are probably why guns are banned).

Reason
08-03-2009, 09:25 PM
We need to get laws passed like they used to have in Britain which prohibited most police from carrying guns.

I would have to disagree with you on that.

I have seen many many instances where cops would have ended up DEAD if they had not had the ability to defend themselves with deadly force.

I believe we need to work on restoring our rights to open and conceal carry rather than disarm the cops.

Reason
08-04-2009, 09:17 AM
bump

acptulsa
08-04-2009, 09:22 AM
'We are concerned citizens and we support this police department in every sense of the word, and we're here filming random police stops in the hope that, should someone falsely accuse the officer of brutalizing them, we can clear the officer and the department of all accusations.'

Don't even need cojones if you have a good line of guff...

Reason
08-04-2009, 09:24 AM
'We are concerned citizens and we support this police department in every sense of the word, and we're here filming random police stops in the hope that, should someone falsely accuse the officer of brutalizing them, we can clear the officer and the department of all accusations.'

:D

Reason
08-05-2009, 01:46 AM
bump

armstrong
08-05-2009, 07:19 AM
bump

Working Poor
08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
The people really do have the power they just don't exercise it.

Reason
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
bump

TonySutton
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
"Any and all police stops may be recorded to improve quality."

Reason
08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
"Any and all police stops may be recorded to improve quality."

:D

ForLiberty-RonPaul
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
When rulers take grain so that they may feast,
Their people become hungry;
When rulers take action to serve their own interests,
Their people become rebellious;
When rulers take lives so that their own lives are maintained,
Their people no longer fear death.

When people act without regard for their own lives
They overcome those who value only their own lives.

-Tao Te Ching 75

torchbearer
08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
When rulers take grain so that they may feast,
Their people become hungry;
When rulers take action to serve their own interests,
Their people become rebellious;
When rulers take lives so that their own lives are maintained,
Their people no longer fear death.

When people act without regard for their own lives
They overcome those who value only their own lives.

-Tao Te Ching 75

the great minds of the east.

youngbuck
08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I would have to disagree with you on that.

I have seen many many instances where cops would have ended up DEAD if they had not had the ability to defend themselves with deadly force.

I believe we need to work on restoring our rights to open and conceal carry rather than disarm the cops.

+1

People also need to realize that they should never call the cops unless they absolutely have to. All too often the tables are turned and the victim becomes further victimized by the cops.

jmdrake
08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
When I took AOJ (Administration Of Justice aka COP) courses at college back when I wanted to be a cop before joining the Air Force, I remember a discussion about the police version of the term "show of force".

The professor (retired cop of 30+ years) explained that one of the main reasons for why you will sometimes see 2,3,4+ cop cars pulled over behind one car on a busy street is because they are exhibiting a "show of force" in order to create a public perception of there being many more cops around than there actually are.

I was thinking...

Why don't citizens demonstrate a "show of force"?

There is no reason a few people can't pull over in a safe location and walk close enough to film a traffic stop and still be far enough away to be safe from any accusation of "interference".

I believe a good response to any questioning officer would be to turn the tables around and say "If you are just doing your job within the established legal boundaries you have no reason to complain do you? Certainly you weren't doing anything that wouldn't mind having filmed?

Or are we too scared?

my 2 cents

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50315828/Metallic_Rubber_Balls.jpg
Do you have any?

That's sort of how the Black Panthers started only they used guns instead of cameras. When the police told them they couldn't do this Huey quoted the 2nd amendment. Cameras are clearly a safer option. While the police might try to arrest you (did you see the youtube clip of the cop arresting a tv news reporter filming an accident?), at least it's unlikely to end up in a full scale police/FBI program to kill off (litterally) much of your movement.

YouTube - Cop Arrests Journalists(CNN Video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4D69pC1I0)