PDA

View Full Version : The Post Office Considers Closing Hundreds of Offices

RevolutionSD
08-03-2009, 05:33 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_postal_closings

Any other business would figure out new strategies or innovate to improve the customer experience. This is a perfect example of how the government fails and running anything and the free market is the only solution.

If we had a true free market in postal delivery, we would get everything on time and we'd be paying less.

Why everyone can't see this is beyond me.

dannno
08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
You mean the postage stamp increase didn't work :confused:

Epic
08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_postal_closings

Any other business would figure out new strategies or innovate to improve the customer experience. This is a perfect example of how the government fails and running anything and the free market is the only solution.

If we had a true free market in postal delivery, we would get everything on time and we'd be paying less.

Why everyone can't see this is beyond me.

you're just one of those freedom ideologues!!! You've been brainwashed to like freedom in markets!! ;)

Kludge
08-03-2009, 05:40 PM
What would Lysander do?

paulitics
08-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Why not? More people do business online, and don't need snail mail anymore.

RevolutionSD
08-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Why not? More people do business online, and don't need snail mail anymore.

And yet we still get taxed to pay for snail mail!

disorderlyvision
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
What would Lysander do?

Write a letter to the postmaster general that basically said "fuck your laws and government monopoly on mail," send with it a self-authored pamphlet called the "unconstutionality of the laws of congress prohibiting private mails."

He would then start his own postal service, be drug through the courts by the government, and eventually shut down.

Brian4Liberty
08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
The last time I went to the Post Office, I had to wait in a line for 20 minutes to get a stamp. They removed all of the stamp machines. Their poor customer service is intentional. The government tactics are always the same: when tax revenues drop, hit the customer (taxpayer) where it hurts the most and is most obvious. They are extortionists.

james1906
08-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Hundreds of offices and five open windows will close.

I hope they don't shut down the small town post offices. It's often worth it to drive out of your way to get friendly service and no line.

satchelmcqueen
08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Hundreds of offices and five open windows will close.

LOL! true

Michael Landon
08-04-2009, 11:47 AM
And yet we still get taxed to pay for snail mail!

I'd like to see your source on that comment. The Postal Service has run tax free since the reorganization act in the 70's. All their revenue comes from the Postal Service's stamps and services.

- ML

torchbearer
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I'd like to see your source on that comment. The Postal Service has run tax free since the reorganization act in the 70's. All their revenue comes from the Postal Service's stamps and services.

- ML

not 100% true. ongoing operations may be paid by stamps, but when I worked at the USPS, they had to get congress to appropriate funds for new vehicles. At the time (during the UPS strike), the USPS was lobbying congress for its own airline fleet.
Right now they buy cargo space on commercial airliners. (another government subsidy for the airlines)