PDA

View Full Version : D.C. lawyer arrested for expressing contempt towards police

disorderlyvision
08-03-2009, 01:42 PM
http://carlosmiller.com/2009/07/30/dc-lawyer-arrested-for-expressing-contempt-towards-police/

Attorney Pepin Tuma probably knows the law when it comes to expressing your First Amendment rights in front of police officers. It’s something you would hope they teach in the first year of law school.

Unfortunately, Washington D.C. police haven’t a clue.

They arrested Tuma Saturday night after the 33-year-old attorney chanted, “I hate the police. I hate the police.”

The charge: Disorderly conduct.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Disorderly conduct is the charge cops use when they can’t think of an actual crime committed.

It happened in my arrest. It happened in the arrest of Harvard professor Henry Gates. And it has happened on many of the contempt of cop arrests I write about.

Tuma, who is gay, said police pushed him against an electric utility box, ordering him to “shut up, ******.”

Pepin Tuma (Huffington Post)Tuma had spent the evening with friends complaining about the arrest of professor Gates, saying that police had overreacted.

The conversation continued as the group of friends walked down the street, coming across five or six cop cars in an apparent traffic stop on the other side of the street.

Tuma then began his chant. “I hate the police. I hate the police.”

One officer took it personal.

“Hey! Hey! Who do you think you’re talking to?” Tuma recalled the officer shouting as he strode across an intersection to where Tuma was standing. “Who do you think you are to think you can talk to a police officer like that?” the police officer said, according to Luke Platzer, 30, one of Tuma’s companions.

Tuma said he responded, “It is not illegal to say I hate the police. It’s not illegal to express my opinion walking down the street.”

The cop pushed Tuma against the utility box, calling him a ****** as he slapped handcuffs on him. Tuma spent a few hours in jail before he was released.

He has filed a complaint and is considering suing.

Every state or district has their own interpretation of disorderly conduct.

D.C.’s disorderly conduct statute bars citizens from breaching the peace by doing anything “in such a manner as to annoy, disturb, interfere with, obstruct, or be offensive to others” or by shouting or making noise “either outside or inside a building during the nighttime to the annoyance or disturbance of any considerable number of persons.”

The local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has said that the city’s disorderly conduct law is “confusing, overbroad, frequently used by police to harass disfavored individuals” and that it “violates constitutional rights of free speech, assembly and petition.”

In Florida, an appeals court ruled the following about disorderly conduct:

Words alone do not constitute disorderly conduct. Defendant must engage in physical contact towards an officer that affects the officers (sic) ability to do his or her job, or breach peace or otherwise incite others to act.

Ever since the arrest of professor Gates, journalists are suddenly addressing the issue of people getting arrested for contempt of cop.

New York Times columnist Maureen Down even interviewed her “friend,” Miami Police Chief John Timoney, who told her the following:

There’s a fine line between disorderly conduct and freedom of speech. It can get tough out there, but I tell my officers, ‘Don’t make matters worse by throwing handcuffs on someone. Bite your tongue and just leave.’ ”

The Miami police officers in the above picture did not get the memo.

Feenix566
08-03-2009, 01:47 PM
If DC's disorderly conduct statute covers acting “in such a manner as to annoy, disturb, interfere with, obstruct, or be offensive to others”, than almost all the politicians belong in jail for offending me on a daily basis.

sratiug
08-03-2009, 02:09 PM
sue sue sue sue

I bet we could get about 5,000 cases like that in a week or two. Maybe we can bankrupt the fascists.

jkr
08-03-2009, 02:41 PM
fuck tha po- LICE... NOW COME AND GET ME.

Time for Change
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
He has filed a complaint and is considering suing.

Unfortunately, I think this is the only way to negate the cops attitude problems.
When the courts decide in favor of individual rights, maybe they will check their high and mighty attitude.

On the flip side, it is DC, they may just say that part of the constitution is out dated and the citizens should just STFU and pay their taxes.

RideTheDirt
08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
fuck the police.

ns_661
08-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I wonder how long we could make this thread.

I hate the police!

Reason
08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I told a cop to fuck off and he got got up in my face until I pulled out my cellphone and said I was video recording (I wasn't, the battery was dead)

He turned around and walked away after telling my friends that they shouldn't hang out with "people like me".

tangowhiskeykilo
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
YouTube - N.W.A - Fuck Tha Police (Original Version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0vz7sASpMM)