PDA

View Full Version : NYC woman sues her college because she can't find a job

devil21
08-03-2009, 04:57 AM
No joke. This has to be a first! I guess the feeling of entitlement is growing with every new generation. She's entitled to a job because she paid for a piece of paper!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090803/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_jobless_grad_sues

NEW YORK – A New York City woman who says she can't find a job is suing the college where she earned a bachelor's degree.

Trina Thompson filed a lawsuit last week against Monroe College in Bronx Supreme Court. The 27-year-old is seeking the $70,000 she spent on tuition.

Thompson says she's been unable to find gainful employment since she received her information technology degree in April.

She says the Bronx school's Office of Career Advancement hasn't provided her with the leads and career advice it promises.

Monroe College spokesman Gary Axelbank says Thompson's lawsuit is completely without merit.

The college insists it helps its graduates find jobs.

News flash Trina, there's no jobs for them to give you leads on.

eduardo89
08-03-2009, 05:11 AM
I was about to post this...what an idiot that woman is...

Danke
08-03-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm sure this lawsuit will make any potential employer happy to hire her.

james1906
08-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Is this a real college, or one of those that advertises on Judge Judy?

Krugerrand
08-03-2009, 06:38 AM
I agree the woman is an idiot. I also see colleges projecting a false reality for what their students should expect on graduation.

A degree is a receipt to show you paid in full. Buyer beware.

apropos
08-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Well, it makes about as much sense as everything else going on in this country.

demolama
08-03-2009, 07:11 AM
You also have to look at all these jobs out there that a monkey can do yet still require a bachelors. The colleges and job market project the bachelors as the new "high school" diploma

acptulsa
08-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Many public school systems have been reduced to baby sitting services. So, the colleges now consider a bachelor's as nothing but proof you know as much as high school graduates did a couple of generations ago. Which suits the rich people, as a B.A. or the more appropriately abbreviated B.S. cost money, and this helps them set up their caste system.

Back when you could work your way through college, or go on the G.I. Bill, they just couldn't maintain a caste system. And look at the results! Why, CEOs barely made five times as much as their harder-working, trained craftsmen!

Elwar
08-03-2009, 07:51 AM
If she got a degree in information technology then she should be able to find a job. That's one of the industries where there's still a decent demand for employees.

Kraig
08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
If she got a degree in information technology then she should be able to find a job. That's one of the industries where there's still a decent demand for employees.

Not exactly, IT is a fairly fast paced industry and you have to be able to learn quickly and keep up. I think everyone who works in IT has come across their fair share of co-workers who have a degree or long list of certs yet are still completely incompetent. It's not at all uncommon for employers to not trust applicants who have the qualifications on paper but no experience, if you are going for a career in IT via formal education you should at least always maintain a relevant part time job as you are working on your education so you have the experience to back it up. It's just far too east to flake your way through college for the degree to have a definitive meaning.

cindy25
08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
she might win; if a stupid jury can award $600,000 for downloading a few songs another stupid jury might give this woman a million (and then SHE wouldn't be stupid)

qh4dotcom
08-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Is this the same woman who said after Obama was elected that she wouldn't have to worry about paying for her gas and her mortgage?

foofighter20x
08-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Duh... With all these government programs to send people to college, a bachelor's degree has become the new high school diploma.