PDA

View Full Version : Young Americans for Liberty VS. D.C. Police & SWAT- with subtitles

MRoCkEd
08-02-2009, 07:55 AM
YouTube - Young Americans for Liberty v. D.C. Police & SWAT- with subtitles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoBLa7lhXY)

Digg This! (http://digg.com/politics/cop_to_peaceful_protester_you_don_t_have_free_spee ch)

sratiug
08-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

TheState
08-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Great job to everyone involved.

DirtMcGirt
08-02-2009, 09:03 AM
YAL- should do a follow up to demonstrate how easy or difficult it is to obtain a permit to assemble there...

TheState
08-02-2009, 09:07 AM
YAL- should do a follow up to demonstrate how easy or difficult it is to obtain a permit to assemble there...

Good idea. Also, we researched after the event, we were right and SWAT was wrong. We only needed a permit if there was more than 25 people and there was about 15 of us at that location and hand-held signs are also fine.

BillyDkid
08-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Freedom of speech and assembly - what are those??? I, personally, think that free speech zones should be limited to each person's own living room. That way they don't bother anybody.

Scofield
08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Why did they back down? This is a clear cut case in support of the Constitution.

The Constitution states that Congress shall make no law abridging your right to freedom of speech or the right to peacefully assemble. The law the officer mentioned is a clear violation of the Constitution, and he, as an individual acting under the "colour of law," is guilty of violating Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242.

They should have went to jail, and then once they got out, brought up charges on the officer for violating the aforementioned code.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
this makes my blood boil.

Reason
08-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I would have stayed and been arrested with my whole group.

More coverage that way.

Kludge
08-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Good idea. Also, we researched after the event, we were right and SWAT was wrong. We only needed a permit if there was more than 25 people and there was about 15 of us at that location and hand-held signs are also fine.

So that situation could have been avoided if the number of demonstrators was given upfront?

ns_661
08-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Talking isn't effective. He has a gun and no education, understanding, empathy or ethics. Conversation over.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 09:29 AM
When the people fear the government there is tyranny.
When the government fears the people there is liberty.

We've seen these red coats once before-
http://www.ng.mil/resources/photo_gallery/heritage/images/Concord_Bridge.jpg

specsaregood
08-02-2009, 09:43 AM
So that situation could have been avoided if the number of demonstrators was given upfront?

But really what does the group size matter? They can't just all be individuals? 25 seperate groups of 1?

Austin
08-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I was up till 7 AM this morning perfecting the subtitles and other aspects of the video and whatnot with other YAL members in DC. Subtitles are a real pain in the butt..

We'll be sending out a press release within 24 hours. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but I don't have the final say in that.

Side note: When Trevor looked at the time, he was checking how close it was to the time we were meeting back at the Leadership Institute. I believe that had it not already been time to head back, he would have been tased and consequently arrested..

TheState
08-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Side note: When Trevor looked at the time, he was checking how close it was to the time we were meeting back at the Leadership Institute. I believe that had it not already been time to head back, he would have been tased and consequently arrested..

Yes, this happened at the exact moment we were wrapping up to head back.

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I would have stayed and been arrested with my whole group.

More coverage that way.

A RidleyReport moment. Yea, that did bother me that the officer reached for his taser. The moment he did that, he escalated it to a deadly force situation. Thats fucked up beyond belief.

constitutional
08-02-2009, 10:41 AM
One needs permission from the government to speak out against the government.

Nice job putting together the video with subtitles, they really helped out.

specsaregood
08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
One needs permission from the government to speak out against the government.

Sort of like in my state; in order to buy a gun (get a permit) you have to sign a document saying you won't use the gun to overthrow the government.

Nice job putting together the video with subtitles, they really helped out.
Agreed, was well worth the time and effort.

Austin
08-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Sort of like in my state; in order to buy a gun (get a permit) you have to sign a document saying you won't use the gun to overthrow the government.

Thanks guys. We were hoping it would be appreciated, we literally spent hours transcribing and implementing the entire conversation accurately.

Crazy that you can hear the Velcro ripping when he reaches for his taser. Trevor's comment about him not enforcing the law is priceless, and it really pissed "Officer Dillon" off.

zach
08-02-2009, 11:01 AM
They needed an army truck to deal with citizens?

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 11:22 AM

remember the MIAC report?
Well, i'm sure there is a DHS report about YAL, and officer dillon was ready to die for his democracy to stop those terrorist.

RCA
08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
rated and favorited

is there going to be a digg?

MRoCkEd
08-02-2009, 11:44 AM
rated and favorited

is there going to be a digg?

http://digg.com/politics/cop_to_peaceful_protester_you_don_t_have_free_spee ch

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 11:48 AM

dugg.

RCA
08-02-2009, 11:50 AM

dugg, thanks

axiomata
08-02-2009, 11:57 AM
"Like shouldn't this be in Iraq?" It looks much more armored than the humvees the troops have over there.

At least he had a sense of humor about it. I would have been pissed.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Do you think Glenn Beck or The Judge would air this story?

TheState
08-02-2009, 01:26 PM

We are working on that right now. Here's our press release...

HEAVILY ARMORED SWAT UNIT DEPLOYED AGAINST STUDENTS PETITIONING HEALTHCARE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 1, 2009- Washington D.C.

A group of high school and college-age youth studying their constitutional rights at a national conference this weekend got a unique lesson on liberty from the local SWAT team. ‘Young Americans For Liberty” were told they didn’t have the right to free speech.

“You don’t have free speech,” said a Washington, D.C. SWAT Sergeant Dillon, who refused to give his first name, to YAL Events Director, Trevor Leach, shortly after the Sergeant stepped out of a heavily armored SWAT vehicle. Twenty students from the Young Americans for Liberty were peacefully petitioning at the National Mall in Washington, D.C., on the healthcare bill that is currently being discussed in Congress.

The students from across the nation, were taking part in the YAL’s National Convention being held in Arlington, Virginia.

The group is a non-profit organization that focuses advocating principles of limited government and mobilizing youth activists committed to “winning on principle.”

The students had hand-held signs arguing against the current healthcare legislation that is being debated in Congress and were inviting the public to sign a petition against nationalized healthcare.

The students had gathered approximately 800 signatures and enjoyed conversations with passers-by when they were forced to shut down their efforts while a Washington, D.C., police officer called in the SWAT team. Sergeant Dillon claimed the students were in violation of Federal regulations for demonstrating because they did not obtain a permit prior to their petitioning efforts.

“You can’t walk around here with your signs and giving out stuff,” the Sergeant said while a student videotaped the incident. Leach said the students were within Federal regulation 36 CFR 7.96 (g)(2)(i), which states “Demonstrations involving 25 persons or fewer may be held without a permit.” According to the regulations, the hand-held signs the students were carrying were also permitted under the regulation.

During the exchange, the SWAT team member reached for his taser and asked Leach if the group would “disassemble or are we going to jail?” At that point, the group stopped their endeavor.

“I am extremely disappointed in the police officer’s blatant disregard for our First Amendment rights. Our youth activists are very passionate about issues such as health-care and we are frustrated that we were not able to complete our petitioning events,” Leach said. The video will be used to help students understand more about the implications of standing up for their rights, Leach said, adding that students will be able to view the episode on You Tube. For more information, contact the Young Americans for Liberty at www.yaliberty.org.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 01:30 PM
now we are talking.
we need to send this in to freedom watch as a topic.

pcosmar
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Not that it matters.
Not that LEO would listen to this tripe.
Not that The MIAC report was influenced by them.

But the SPLC Lists YAL as a hate group.
Imagine that.
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/hate.jsp#s=MI

Young Americans for Freedom--MI State University

General Hate, East Lansing, MI

edit, Oops, that was YAF

RevolutionSD
08-02-2009, 01:45 PM
When the people fear the government there is tyranny.
When the government fears the people there is liberty.

We've seen these red coats once before-
http://www.ng.mil/resources/photo_gallery/heritage/images/Concord_Bridge.jpg

Since when has any government feared the people?
Government is simply a group of individuals who have been given the monopoly on legalized violence and plunder.

Government doesn't work.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Since when has any government feared the people?
Government is simply a group of individuals who have been given the monopoly on legalized violence and plunder.

Government doesn't work.

the monopoly was granted at first, to protect your property from forces too big for you the defend against.
just because that isn't what its used for today doesn't mean it can't work.

Your alternative if a fairy tale land. So save it for another thread in the off topic section.

t0rnado
08-02-2009, 02:45 PM
We are working on that right now. Here's our press release...

HEAVILY ARMORED SWAT UNIT DEPLOYED AGAINST STUDENTS PETITIONING HEALTHCARE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 1, 2009- Washington D.C.

A group of high school and college-age youth studying their constitutional rights at a national conference this weekend got a unique lesson on liberty from the local SWAT team. ‘Young Americans For Liberty” were told they didn’t have the right to free speech.

“You don’t have free speech,” said a Washington, D.C. SWAT Sergeant Dillon, who refused to give his first name, to YAL Events Director, Trevor Leach, shortly after the Sergeant stepped out of a heavily armored SWAT vehicle. Twenty students from the Young Americans for Liberty were peacefully petitioning at the National Mall in Washington, D.C., on the healthcare bill that is currently being discussed in Congress.

The students from across the nation, were taking part in the YAL’s National Convention being held in Arlington, Virginia.

The group is a non-profit organization that focuses advocating principles of limited government and mobilizing youth activists committed to “winning on principle.”

The students had hand-held signs arguing against the current healthcare legislation that is being debated in Congress and were inviting the public to sign a petition against nationalized healthcare.

The students had gathered approximately 800 signatures and enjoyed conversations with passers-by when they were forced to shut down their efforts while a Washington, D.C., police officer called in the SWAT team. Sergeant Dillon claimed the students were in violation of Federal regulations for demonstrating because they did not obtain a permit prior to their petitioning efforts.

“You can’t walk around here with your signs and giving out stuff,” the Sergeant said while a student videotaped the incident. Leach said the students were within Federal regulation 36 CFR 7.96 (g)(2)(i), which states “Demonstrations involving 25 persons or fewer may be held without a permit.” According to the regulations, the hand-held signs the students were carrying were also permitted under the regulation.

During the exchange, the SWAT team member reached for his taser and asked Leach if the group would “disassemble or are we going to jail?” At that point, the group stopped their endeavor.

“I am extremely disappointed in the police officer’s blatant disregard for our First Amendment rights. Our youth activists are very passionate about issues such as health-care and we are frustrated that we were not able to complete our petitioning events,” Leach said. The video will be used to help students understand more about the implications of standing up for their rights, Leach said, adding that students will be able to view the episode on You Tube. For more information, contact the Young Americans for Liberty at www.yaliberty.org.

So sensationalism and fear mongering by the media is only okay when Ron Paul supporters it's about Ron Paul supporters, right? Nice job blowing the situation out of proportion

Unless there was an entire SWAT unit in that vehicle just meant for Ron Paul's Special Youth, they didn't deploy anything. Most federal agents are trained to have their hand on their gun holster when confronting any group of people, so even if he "reached" for his tazer, it's trivial.

Also, you could've said that you were individuals and not with a group and you would've been free to yell and hold signs, but you wanted attention and YouTube fame, so you didn't.

"OMFG ITZ GONNA B ON UTUBE OMFG" In the end, that's all you did. You just held your cell phones up and didn't actually defend your rights.

Austin
08-02-2009, 02:58 PM
So sensationalism and fear mongering by the media is only okay when Ron Paul supporters it's about Ron Paul supporters, right? Nice job blowing the situation out of proportion

Unless there was an entire SWAT unit in that vehicle just meant for Ron Paul's Special Youth, they didn't deploy anything. Most federal agents are trained to have their hand on their gun holster when confronting any group of people, so even if he "reached" for his tazer, it's trivial.

Also, you could've said that you were individuals and not with a group and you would've been free to yell and hold signs, but you wanted attention and YouTube fame, so you didn't.

"OMFG ITZ GONNA B ON UTUBE OMFG" In the end, that's all you did. You just held your cell phones up and didn't actually defend your rights.

While I was not at that particular location, I did put together the video with the help of some other YAL members. I would like to clear a few things up.

First, we do believe that there was indeed an entire SWAT team inside the armored vehicle. In the video, he clearly threatens us with: "Or I'm gonna call all those people over there [referring to SWAT vehicle] and we are gonna take ya'll to jail"

In regards to the taser, he didn't just simply reach for it. The taser was located below his gun holster. After Trevor called him out for not enforcing the laws, citing the First Amendment, he reached down and clearly unstrapped the Velcro strap and placed his hand on the taser.

At this point, he gives Trevor an ultimatum. Either GTFO or get arrested. Trevor looks at the time, because we were supposed to return to base at 12:30 PM, and decides to go ahead and leave.

Hopefully that clears up some things. :)

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 02:59 PM

you did notice that those guys in militarized gear were ready to use force to imprison sovereigns? Full armored truck and all...
Kent State is only a few choice words away... had the young gentle told the cop to shove his unconstitutional bullshit up his ass and then stood his ground their would have been blood on the ground.
YouTube - Kent State Massacre (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyzoNCJvy4c)
YouTube - Vietnam; Kent State Massacre May 4, 1970 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv4u5dIRouM)

RideTheDirt
08-02-2009, 03:20 PM

lol

"I want to overthrow the gubment, but I signed that permit, damn!"

t0rnado
08-02-2009, 04:57 PM
While I was not at that particular location, I did put together the video with the help of some other YAL members. I would like to clear a few things up.

First, we do believe that there was indeed an entire SWAT team inside the armored vehicle. In the video, he clearly threatens us with: "Or I'm gonna call all those people over there [referring to SWAT vehicle] and we are gonna take ya'll to jail"

In regards to the taser, he didn't just simply reach for it. The taser was located below his gun holster. After Trevor called him out for not enforcing the laws, citing the First Amendment, he reached down and clearly unstrapped the Velcro strap and placed his hand on the taser.

At this point, he gives Trevor an ultimatum. Either GTFO or get arrested. Trevor looks at the time, because we were supposed to return to base at 12:30 PM, and decides to go ahead and leave.

Hopefully that clears up some things.

I'm pretty sure that vehicle is called a Lenco Bearcat. I don't know whether or not the DC Police department is in control of the SWAT, but you could contact them and ask if a Lenco Bearcat was deployed and how many officers were inside.

A lot of YAL members had cameras and cellphones based on the video so if more video could be uploaded, we could see if there were any others in the SWAT vehicle.

devil21
08-02-2009, 06:25 PM
remember the MIAC report?
Well, i'm sure there is a DHS report about YAL, and officer dillon was ready to die for his democracy to stop those terrorist.

Somehow I doubt Dillon or any of his JBT colleagues would actually march to their death "for his democracy". He knows that nobody in that group was going to stand up to him so he could be as big of a bully as he wants. But remember that bullies always cower after someone fights back. But no one ever fights back. And every time the People back down, the SWAT (Spectacular Waste of Ammo and Training) get just a little bolder. It's confrontations like that that will eventually ignite the real revolution. Somebody is going to tell the cop to go fuck himself and all hell is going to break loose. I don't need to fill in the details but I think yall know what Im getting at.

Btw, are we sure the JBT was a DC cop? Areas of DC like that are covered by federal LEOs moreso than MPD.

zach
08-02-2009, 06:26 PM
"General Hate?"

lol

heavenlyboy34
08-02-2009, 06:31 PM
the monopoly was granted at first, to protect your property from forces too big for you the defend against.

Your alternative if a fairy tale land. So save it for another thread in the off topic section.

You speak of a fantasy in which a gang of thieves and bullies cares about a constitution, and you have the nerve to call him delusional? HAHAHAHA!!! LMFAO!!! :D

LibertyEagle
08-02-2009, 06:52 PM

Yes, I think they would, if we could get it to them.

Austin
08-02-2009, 06:56 PM

I sent two original videos (before they were spliced together and without subtitles) to Beck an hour after it happened. A few others sent it to him as well. Others sent it to Shelly...

We sent out press releases to at least a dozen places as well.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Here is the link to request a guest for freedom watch.
http://freedomwatch.uservoice.com/pages/16626-freedom-watch-guest-suggestions/

Now we just need the name of that guy and his YAL credentials, along with a link to the story and we can vote it up.

Austin
08-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Now we just need the name of that guy and his YAL credentials, along with a link to the story and we can vote it up.
Trevor Leach
trevor.leach@yaliberty.org
Events Director

LibertyEagle
08-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Krippy, you're wonderful. Thank you for everything you are doing. :)

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:07 PM
can you embed youtube into the request page?
i'm working on it right now.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:09 PM
ok, I went with what I got from this thread: http://freedomwatch.uservoice.com/pages/16625-freedom-watch-show-ideas/suggestions/276062-trevor-leach

Now, who wants to be in charge of promoting it on the intertubes?

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:10 PM
If we can get this on freedom watch, we should record the segment onto a dvd and send it to "officer" dillon.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I gave it three votes. I see someone has already added one more point.
need a couple hundred more to get him on for next wednesday.

RevolutionSD
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM

How's the minarchism movement working out in the last 40 years or so?

That's why we need to start striking the root and not toss aside philosophy for the sake of "practicality".

Austin
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks. A few more YAL folks gave it 3 votes..

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:46 PM
How's the minarchism movement working out in the last 40 years or so?

That's why we need to start striking the root and not toss aside philosophy for the sake of "practicality".

you want to blame me for the ignorance of the population for the last 100 years?
I think this time around, the internet changes everything.
It takes a vigilant and informed populace to maintain a civil society under a constitutional republic.
Think of what kind of education it would require to get 6 billion people to agree not to rule over other people.
One idea is a bit more utopian than the other.
I let you think about that for a bit.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks. A few more YAL folks gave it 3 votes..

Its up to 19 votes.

We need a thread release on here, one on daily paul, some kind of mention through c4L, and mention on YAL's site.
Who has the will and know how to achieve some or all of these objectives?

Austin
08-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Its up to 19 votes.

We need a thread release on here, one on daily paul, some kind of mention through c4L, and mention on YAL's site.
Who has the will and know how to achieve some or all of these objectives?

It's been on Daily Paul, the CFL, and YAL sent out an email earlier today.

EDIT: However the Daily Paul video did not have subtitles.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:55 PM

I'm talking about the link for the Freedom Watch appearance that I just created.
They need to add it.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 07:58 PM
22 votes.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
23 votes. need a few more. :)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Can I add this video to my campaign website?

www.mcartorforcongress.com

EDIT: However the Daily Paul video did not have subtitles.

TheState
08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Can I add this video to my campaign website?

www.mcartorforcongress.com

I think that should be fine.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
up to 26 votes

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM

The federal government is militarizing our police force and sending them propaganda that we are terrorist. add all the info up and come up with the answer.

torchbearer
08-02-2009, 10:30 PM
28 votes

NEPA_Revolution
08-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I was there too but not actually in front of the Smithsonian. I was standing on a street corner a block away with two other people and we saw the SWAT truck rolling down the street. Its scary what this country is becoming anymore.

tremendoustie
08-03-2009, 04:20 AM
this makes my blood boil.

No kidding.

Screwing this country up so bad would not have been possible without screwing up the educational system. This would never have been possible even a century ago.

Thugs brainlessly following orders, like this "sergeant", is what the public schools produce.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-03-2009, 04:30 AM
August 20th, 2009 in Annapolis,MD there is a constitution rally. Would any members of the YAL like to attend? I can speak to the organizer and ask for you guys to be given a chance to speak and you can talk about what you do, why you do it and I am sure they would love to hear about this encounter. This is also my first major campaign speech and would love to see some friendly faces out there.

tremendoustie
08-03-2009, 04:32 AM

So, who protects against the government, which is itself a force too big to defend against -- especially when it's been granted a monopoly, assuring that there exists no organization which could assist in such defense? Right now, I'd really like to stop paying taxes, and switch to a competitor to the government. The monopoly that was "granted" prevents me from doing so, and so inhibits the defense of freedom, rather than assisting it.

It takes a vigilant and informed populace to maintain a civil society under a constitutional republic.
Think of what kind of education it would require to get 6 billion people to agree not to rule over other people.
One idea is a bit more utopian than the other.
I let you think about that for a bit.

Yes, one is more Utopian -- and it's the first. If enough vigilant, informed people exist to maintain rights under a constitutional republic, who are willing to fight to defend their freedoms even against a monopolistic, monolithic, inescapable power, they will be easily able to do so when they are able to freely choose alternatives -- and vote with their feet and wallets. It would also help in that defense for the concept of extortion and aggressive force to not have been made acceptable to the public by said constitutional republic. That is, a constitutional republic softens the defense against incremental tyranny by creating the seeds for it. For example, it is much easier to defend against taxation in the first place, than to defend against each rate hike of 1 to 2%.

tremendoustie
08-03-2009, 04:53 AM
ok, I went with what I got from this thread: http://freedomwatch.uservoice.com/pages/16625-freedom-watch-show-ideas/suggestions/276062-trevor-leach (http://freedomwatch.uservoice.com/pages/16625-freedom-watch-show-ideas/suggestions/276062-trevor-leach)

Now, who wants to be in charge of promoting it on the intertubes?

Gave it 3 more. Let's get 'er done.

Who can put this up at daily paul?

torchbearer
08-03-2009, 08:37 AM
bump

torchbearer
08-03-2009, 08:41 AM
S

Yes, one is more Utopian -- and it's the first.

This officer proves the second to be false, you will always have these kinds of people. They will form into collective groups and bully people.
You will never see a world of Stephans.
Any system that has a chance to survive must take in account people like this officer.

RCA
08-03-2009, 08:42 AM
3 votes

Scofield
08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
I voted (3).

tremendoustie
08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
This officer proves the second to be false, you will always have these kinds of people. They will form into collective groups and bully people.
You will never see a world of Stephans.
Any system that has a chance to survive must take in account people like this officer.

I agree 100%. The question is, what is the best way to deal with men like this? I would argue that creating a powerful, monopolistic organization which systematically uses aggressive force is likely to lead to less freedom, not more.

People who support the state always seem to imagine that it's populated by angels who only care about protecting people's freedom from people like this officer. What they don't seem to fully appreciate is that all the men like this officer will flock to the state itself. The federal government is Christmas morning for people wishing to forcefully rule over their neighbors.

The state attracts and enables the power hungry people in the country, by providing them a power structure with the ability to use aggressive force. It also turns many otherwise peaceful people into tyrants because of its perceived legitimacy. Many who would never join a gang, or go steal their neighbor's TV themselves, will vote for socialism, because government has been excepted from moral laws against theft, in their mind.

The best defense against men like this officer is to make no such exception in the first place, so that people are more able to recognize evil for what it is. Freedom loving individuals should oppose the concept of "legitimate" aggressive force from the get-go -- this is where tyranny gets its foothold. Once extortion for one purpose is ok, why not for the next purpose? Once 5% is ok, why not 6, or 7, or 50%? Furthermore, a monopoly should be opposed, so that any wannabe "government" or gang can be held accountable by market forces. As I say, neither you or I would be enabling the government now with our taxes if it were not a monopoly.

This officer would have a far harder time oppressing his neighbors starting from scratch, against people freely selecting their own protection agencies and perhaps defending themselves. Now he just has to get a job with the government. One big gang to stop all the wannabe gangsters doesn't work -- because all those gangsters just join the big one. The people running the government meant to protect residents from power hungry people will be the power hungry people themselves -- they are attracted to power.

And once they have control of the one organization we have foolishly ensured is the only game in town, the organization we have foolishly convinced people is exempt from moral laws against agression, God help us all.

AuH20
08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
this officer Dillon should have been decked but on the other hand, I have a feeling he knew that the YAL folks would relent.

Todd
08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
voted 3.

bc2208
08-03-2009, 11:07 AM
this officer Dillon should have been decked but on the other hand, I have a feeling he knew that the YAL folks would relent.

Decked? Assaulting a police officer is hardly peaceful assembly.

This whole thing is an overreaction. From what I can tell, the cop was simply doing his job. If you have a problem with the ordinance, take it up with the legislators that enacted it. This guy may have been wrong about the size of a group requiring a permit, but that's deserving of a formal written complaint, not an uprising.

Scofield
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

This whole thing is an overreaction. From what I can tell, the cop was simply doing his job. If you have a problem with the ordinance, take it up with the legislators that enacted it. This guy may have been wrong about the size of a group requiring a permit, but that's deserving of a formal written complaint, not an uprising.

"You have a problem with the Concentration Camp, take it up with Hitler."

Just doing your job is not an excuse.

AuH20
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Before or after he sends 50,000 volts coursing through your body? ;):D

bc2208
08-03-2009, 11:39 AM
"You have a problem with the Concentration Camp, take it up with Hitler."

I bet you cite the Nuremberg excuse when your bank won't remove an overdraft fee too. This cop didn't touch anybody.

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I bet you cite the Nuremberg excuse when your bank won't remove an overdraft fee too. This cop didn't touch anybody.

No, but the moment he reached for his Taser, HE escalated the situation to Deadly Force. By all rights, the YAL members could have defended themselves by retaliating with deadly force. That SWAT douchebag is going to get someone killed one day (possibly himself) with his jackbooted attitude.

JamesButabi
08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I bet you cite the Nuremberg excuse when your bank won't remove an overdraft fee too.

Thats pretty funny, but this new trend of needing to exercise permits nearly everywhere in order to protest or assemble needs to be pushed against.

MsDoodahs
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
so I can find this thread when I need it.

:)

torchbearer
08-03-2009, 02:54 PM

43 votes!

TheState
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Look at the youtube awards it has today, it's amazing.

Honors for this video (42)
#34 - Most Discussed (Today)
#1 - Most Discussed (Today) - Nonprofits & Activism
#15 - Most Discussed (This Week) - Nonprofits & Activism
#69 - Most Discussed (This Month) - Nonprofits & Activism
#49 - Most Responded (Today) - Nonprofits & Activism
#90 - Most Responded (This Week) - Nonprofits & Activism
#95 - Most Viewed (Today)
#9 - Most Viewed (Today) - Nonprofits & Activism - Germany
#8 - Most Viewed (Today) - Nonprofits & Activism - Australia
#3 - Most Viewed (Today) - Nonprofits & Activism - Canada
#7 - Most Viewed (Today) - Nonprofits & Activism - United Kingdom