PDA

View Full Version : Beer Summit's Purpose? Take the Heat Off Obama

FrankRep
07-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Beer Summit's Purpose? Take the Heat Off Obama (http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/5175-beer-summits-purpose-take-the-heat-off-obama-)

John F. McManus | John Birch Society (http://www.jbs.org/)
31 July 2009

The highly anticipated White House meeting of black Harvard University Professor Henry Louis Gates and white Cambridge, Massachusetts police Sergeant James Crowley occurred without either apologizing to the other over Gates’ racially charged arrest for disorderly conduct on July 16.

Moreover, there was no apology from President Obama who suggested the meeting and hosted it at a picnic table on the White House South Lawn. It was the President’s incredibly untimely remark that elevated the situation from a local dispute into a national – even international – uproar. During a press conference dealing with his plan for a federal takeover of the nation’s health care system, Mr. Obama responded to a question about the confrontation between the policeman and the professor. He said that he didn’t have all the facts, yet he followed that admission with “the police acted stupidly.” If anyone acted stupidly during that nationally televised appearance, it was the president himself.

Professor Gates had been confronted at his own home by several policemen who were responding to a report that there was a break-in in progress at Gates’ home. A passerby had seen Gates and the taxi driver who had just brought him from the airport forcing their way into the premises because of a stuck door. The alert passerby called 911. When the police arrived, they didn’t know what had occurred and Sgt. Crowley requested identification from the professor. The situation rapidly deteriorated with Gates making accusations about racial profiling and getting himself arrested and handcuffed for disorderly conduct. The charges were almost immediately dropped. But President Obama injected himself into the matter with his remarkably uncalled for condemnation of the police.

A photo of the incident shows the angered professor in handcuffs. But it also shows the presence of a black policeman named Leon Lashley, who has always insisted that Sgt. Crowley’s handling of the situation was entirely proper and would have been his way of handling it if he were the senior man on the scene.

The incident amounted to a misunderstanding between a veteran and highly respected policeman and a nationally-known Harvard academic. It would likely have blown over as it was properly resolved at the local level except for the intemperate remark by the President who has since stated that his remark should be “recalibrated.” That he harmed his own reputation can hardly be denied.

Aware of this and how it reflected on him, Mr. Obama arranged for the two men to come to the White House, join him in sipping a beer, and patch over their disagreement. The meeting was staged as though the issue was the confrontation between the two men at the Gates home in Massachusetts. Much of the reporting about the gathering, attended also by Vice President Biden, was about race relations and the bury-the-hatchet attitude of the two.

That’s the way President Obama wanted it. The issue would never have captured so much attention if Mr. Obama hadn’t poured gasoline on it. He now knows that he was completely out of order with his snap judgment about the police. His subsequent expression of regret for what he said wasn’t enough. So he had the two men come together in his presence as if he were the great conciliator. The truth is that he was the great inflamer. He now hopes that most Americans will look upon him as a calmer of racial animosities that he brought to an unnecessary boil. And that was the main purpose of the “beer summit.”

Whether the President’s goal will be achieved in the minds of the American public remains to be seen.

SOURCE:
http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/5175-beer-summits-purpose-take-the-heat-off-obama-

FSP-Rebel
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
It seems that the JBS gives too much leeway to the police, which is why I don't like them anymore.

FrankRep
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
It seems that the JBS gives too much leeway to the police, which is why I don't like them anymore.
The police aren't the enemy.

Kraig
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM

hahaha right, good one!

brandon
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM

Some of them are.

Kraig
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Some of them are.

Most of them are!

acptulsa
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
What police? An ATF agent? Or the Rogers, Oklahoma county sheriff? Because those two are not equal in my eyes.

FrankRep
07-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Most of them are!
How do you feel about the American Military? Do you dislike/hate them as much as you do the police?

brandon
07-31-2009, 02:24 PM
How do you feel about the American Military? Do you dislike/hate them as much as you do the police?

Well the military has never slammed my head into a windshield, falsely imprisoned me, or broke into my home.

The police on the other hand, have done all of those things to me.

Kraig
07-31-2009, 02:26 PM

It really has nothing to do with love or hate, but yes, they are looters too, the same as the police. Of course it's less personal with them as they've never tried to personally lock me up.

Imperial
07-31-2009, 02:29 PM
We have plenty of examples of police misconduct or racial profiliing. This is an incredibly irrelevant example that just serves to distract us from real conflict.

Kraig
07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
We have plenty of examples of police misconduct or racial profiliing. This is an incredibly irrelevant example that just serves to distract us from real conflict.

Yeah disguising police tyranny as racial profiling is a good way to prevent the true issues from ever coming up.

FSP-Rebel
07-31-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry, but JBS needs to come to grips with the fact that local police aren't our buddies anymore. The majority of police departments have been militarized and lots of soldiers come back and are hired immediately by said departments. Then these former soldeirs/new cops are all juiced up and ready to use tasers and otherwise beat the crap out of people for the smallest things.

FrankRep
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry, but JBS needs to come to grips with the fact that local police aren't our buddies anymore. The majority of police departments have been militarized and lots of soldiers come back and are hired immediately by said departments. Then these former soldeirs/new cops are all juiced up and ready to use tasers and otherwise beat the crap out of people for the smallest things.

I'd rather look at police officers as individuals and not as a collective stereotype.

Is there corruption within the police departments? Sure. Are all police corrupt? No way.

Kraig
07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd rather look at police officers as individuals and not as a collective stereotype.

Is there corruption within the police departments? Sure. Are all police corrupt? No way.

They are individuals who lives off taxpayers money.

FSP-Rebel
07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
They are individuals who lives off taxpayers money.
And they enforce bad laws. If their superiors told them to start confiscating firearms, would the officers quit their jobs and lose their pensions or do what they're told? Gee, I wonder...

Danke
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM

It is not necessary that any particular individual is corrupt. But the policies. And that is why Officer Leon Lashley and Sgt. Crowley thought their actions were justified.

The departments are a collective, like it or not.

FrankRep
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
And they enforce bad laws. If their superiors told them to start confiscating firearms, would the officers quit their jobs and lose their pensions or do what they're told? Gee, I wonder...
Sounds like Bad government, not bad police officers.

Kraig
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM

Government isn't some mystical entity, it is an organization of men, police officers are part of that organization.

FSP-Rebel
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
On one hand, I agree. However, I got my BA in CJ and I can tell you that the police sub-culture is instilled in everyone - hence the thin blue line. In most cases where officers do wrong, they all circle the wagons and claim an internal investigation is going on, preventing as much info from going public as possible.