PDA

View Full Version : MA: Boston cop suspended for racist Gates rant

disorderlyvision
07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/US/story?id=8209937&page=1

A Boston police officer and National Guard commander has been suspended from the force and stripped of his Army command after admitting that he called Harvard University Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. a "jungle monkey" in an email.

Justin Barrett, 36, a two-year BPD veteran, could be fired as early as this week, Boston Police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll said.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis held a news conference today to denounce the language in Barrett's email, calling it "venomous rhetoric" and "inflammatory." The commissioner said such behavior "will not be tolerated."

Davis said he has begun a termination hearing that could last a week to 10 days. The commissioner also said he regretted the comments made about Gates.

"I personally reached out to him to apologize for this offense," the commissioner said.

Davis' news conference included religious and black leaders who also condemned Barrett's comments and tried to soothe racial feelings. The also warned that such prejudice must be eliminated from the ranks of police.

"Everybody knows one flat tire will stop a car," said the Rev. Don Mohammed.

satchelmcqueen
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
and ild like to know if the people firing this guy have ever told or said something like he did, joking or otherwise?

Aratus
07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
the emailing was a mass emailing.
the dude was & is being interviewed
on our local media. his situation is
cut and dried. he can't take back
the email ...and also... since he's a
member of the local national guard,
he just might be court-marshalled... his
15 minutes of fame is bittersweet & pyrrhic

youngbuck
07-31-2009, 04:05 PM
the emailing was a mass emailing.
the dude was & is being interviewed
on our local media. his situation is
cut and dried. he can't take back
the email ...and also... since he's a
member of the local national guard,
he just might be court-marshalled... his
15 minutes of fame is bittersweet & pyrrhic

Just how in the hell can you be court marshalled over something like that? :eek:

libertarian4321
08-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Just how in the hell can you be court marshalled over something like that? :eek:

The military doesn't work under the same laws as civilians. You can be disciplined for something as minor as using foul language.

Certainly, this would be considered Conduct Unbecoming an Officer. I could probably think of a bunch of other things to charge him with if you gave me some time.

libertarian4321
08-01-2009, 05:45 AM
This web site has the complete text of Barrett's email.

It is, to say the least, insane as well as racist.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/073009_barrett_email_text/

paulitics
08-01-2009, 05:53 AM
This guy was a low IQ moron with emotional problems.

NerveShocker
08-01-2009, 07:10 AM
"You need to be corrected and I certainly hope others have attempted, for your written messages and material is so 4th grade level."

Rofl this part I couldn't help but laugh. Your writing style is like totally so 4th grade level.. what's better is he claimed to previously be an English teacher. Too bad he debunked himself on that one by the third sentence.

BlackTerrel
08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
You have no business writing for a US newspaper nevermind detailing and analyzing half truths. You should serve me coffee and donuts on Sunday morning.

Cops and donuts. This guy is perpetuating stereotypes about his own group.

Not a shocker... the racist is also an idiot. They seem to go hand in hand.

Freedom 4 all
08-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Cops and donuts. This guy is perpetuating stereotypes about his own group.

Not a shocker... the racist is also an idiot. They seem to go hand in hand.

Seems like "donut-eating city pig" would make a good nickname for him.