PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Invite to Orlando is a Peace Offering, Orange GOP Chief Says

bobbyw24
07-31-2009, 09:17 AM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_politics/2009/07/ron-paul-invite-to-orlando-is-a-peace-offering-orange-gop-chief-says-.html

Discuss This: Comments (0) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
Orange County is scheduled to host U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, the Libertarian presidential hopeful whose surge in popularity attracted new members to local Republican Party chapters, but in many cases sparked divisive fights for power.

That certainly played out in Orange, where county GOP chief Lew Oliver barely beat back a challenge by Paul supporters who teamed up last year with other dissidents and almost unseated the long-time leader. Oliver won his post by a slim 122-121 vote.

Since then, Oliver has continued to fend off internal challenges, many of them fueled by Paul supporters.

But Oliver said he wants to make nice, and it was his idea to invite Paul to speak to the county's Republican Party Executive Committee on Thursday. On Friday, Paul is scheduled to speak at the Florida Liberty Summit event, also in Orlando.

Oliver said bringing Paul to the party's executive committee to speak was meant to make a point, that the party is open to all viewpoints, he said. "This was not their idea, it was mine," Oliver said.

Nick Egoroff, a Paul supporter who has butted heads often with Oliver, said this was indeed an "olive branch" extended to disaffected party members.

"It was a nice gesture," Egoroff said. "Unfortunately, it was followed up with expulsions of myself and Doug Guetzloe" from the party executive committee.

Oliver filed grievances with the state party against both men, and a panel of party leaders heard the complaints in a closed hearing last week. No ruling has been made, yet, Egoroff said, but he doesn't have a lot of confidence in the outcome.

"We received a rather hostile hearing," Egoroff said. "So I don't have any hope we will be allowed to stay on" the executive committee.

acptulsa
07-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Heh.

Here, stop trying to get into leadership positions and I'll throw you a bone.

Happening all over the country.

bobbyw24
07-31-2009, 09:37 AM
An effort to neutralize or win over (an independent minority, for example) through assimilation into an established group or culture:

satchelmcqueen
07-31-2009, 11:20 AM
he better hold thight if paul speaks there. paul WILL call him out and let the people know how corrupt it has been there.

MikeStanart
07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Something tells me a visit by Paul will only hasten Lew Oliver's opponents. Gotta love Blowback.

free.alive
07-31-2009, 11:46 AM
In 2010 we must take a majority of Republican state committees. Then, where possible, we amend the state bylaws to hold a presidential precinct caucus instead of a primary.

Then the candidate who excites the grassroots the most wins. If our Liberty candidate that year can be well-funded and backed up with some legitimate party support, some access to media, and some credible defense to the smears which will come, then we have a shot of the Liberty candidate being the presidential nominee.

free.alive
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Paul should counter that he would rather be keynote speaker at the next state-wide Republican meeting.

dannno
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow, can't believe that schmuck won by only one vote! That's a shame, that would have been pretty big..

acptulsa
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow, can't believe that schmuck won by only one vote! That's a shame, that would have been pretty big..

Believe it!! We have a magnificent Constitutionalist in charge of our county G.O.P. and the margin of her victory wasn't all that much greater. You can bitch or you can prevent crap like this by getting down to your local G.O.P. meeting and outnumbering the special interests. This can easily be done--they may be rich but they aren't numerous!!

Sandra
07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I really think the GOP is gearing up to squash anti neocon/ neoliberal efforts. They seemed impressed with what Greer did in FLA so it's what they desire on a bigger scale. This is jusy to appease the libertarian leaners I suppose.

Matt Collins
07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Wow, can't believe that schmuck won by only one vote! That's a shame, that would have been pretty big..And some RP people couldn't make it to vote that night because of traffic due to an interstate accident :mad:

Matt Collins
07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Believe it!! We have a magnificent Constitutionalist in charge of our county G.O.P. and the margin of her victory wasn't all that much greater.Back in February when I ran for chairman of the Nashville GOP in our first race I tied (I think it was 79-79). Sadly on the runoff not all of my people showed up, and a lot of her people were spreading lies about me being an officer in the LP which was untrue.

free.alive
08-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I ran for a state executive board position in my state and lost by seven votes. Several people who should have been there never responded or showed up. A few who said they'd be there never attended.

If I would have gotten elected to the state exec. board, shockwaves would have went throughout the state Republican Party.

Instead, there is a yes-man there who fundamentally misunderstands the nature and role of the state party.

Matt Collins
08-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Did this get canceled?

michigan wolverine
08-02-2009, 11:18 AM
What happens even you take over state committees. Nothing! Unless you can field liberty candidates. And so far there is only a handful running in any state. Why waste time take over the committees then. We need to produce candidates. Right now the movement is fixated on hero worship.

Additionally some of the candidates that are running don't have a clue as to what to do. And so they run for Congress. It's hey look at me "i am for liberty. Vote for me because of it." The make the movement look foolish.

As for this BS in Florida it is a waste of time money and effort.

speciallyblend
08-02-2009, 05:18 PM
I ran for a state executive board position in my state and lost by seven votes. Several people who should have been there never responded or showed up. A few who said they'd be there never attended.

If I would have gotten elected to the state exec. board, shockwaves would have went throughout the state Republican Party.

Instead, there is a yes-man there who fundamentally misunderstands the nature and role of the state party.

reading thru this. it reminds me why the gop lost colorado. they didn't lose the election to obama. they lost the election at the colorado gop convention!

maybe next time Ron Paul 2012