PDA

View Full Version : Question for Forum Members on House Rules

anaconda
07-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Can anyone please explain to me how the Speaker of the House can justify not bringing a bill up for a vote that has a majority of cosponsors in the House? The majority of the American People have obviously "spoken" through their Representatives and it is their wish. So, how come a bill that reaches 217 cosponsors isn't automatically brought up for a vote? It seems that to do otherwise would be, at least, a slap in the face to the American People. And, at most, utterly illegal.

What gives, here? WTF?

Dr.3D
07-31-2009, 03:06 AM
I have often wondered the same thing.

Kludge
07-31-2009, 03:54 AM
The bill's still in a committee where they can amend, table, or bring the bill up for a vote. Bwany Fwank has control over HR 1207. It may be months before action is taken on the bill, if any.

Edit: If Ron Paul feels the committee is taking to long or if Fwank has said he won't be releasing the bill, Paul can introduce a discharge petition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discharge_petition).

lynnf
07-31-2009, 04:03 AM
Can anyone please explain to me how the Speaker of the House can justify not bringing a bill up for a vote that has a majority of cosponsors in the House? The majority of the American People have obviously "spoken" through their Representatives and it is their wish. So, how come a bill that reaches 217 cosponsors isn't automatically brought up for a vote? It seems that to do otherwise would be, at least, a slap in the face to the American People. And, at most, utterly illegal.

What gives, here? WTF?

there may be a rule saying that should happen, but does it also give a time limit?
(doubt it)
also, a rule has to be invoked by a member if the chair doesn't invoke it (like through a point of order). maybe Ron Paul hasn't done that yet. I can see him waiting for the right time or maybe even not doing it at all - waiting for someone else to do it.

Ron Paul is having a Texas BBQ bash on August 15, maybe someone can ask him about it there.

oh, and you don't expect Democrats to follow the rules, do you? we've seen how well the Dems and Repubs follow the rules in the past year, haven't we?

lynn