PDA

View Full Version : Judge Napolitino: Gates arrest was improper

jmdrake
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Interesting quotes:

"I would not question the head or the heart of this officer...but he did not have the right to make an arrest."

"Relying on just what the dispatcher told him is not enough to violate the 4th amendment rights of professor Gates. Only observing it (possible crime) with his own or having a search warrant would have been sufficient for that purpose."

"Cops get mad when people defy them. Is it right to defy the police? No it's crazy to defy the police. They have a gun, they have handcuffs, they always win. But is it a crime to disagree with the police? Is it a basis for an arrest? The answer is no."

YouTube - Obama, Gates & Crowley: Proof He Lied & Violated Gates Rights - 911 & Dispatch Recordings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6SjZ5wEzw)

As I've been saying in other threads. This is a simple constitutional matter. Too many people mistake the question of whether Gates was being a jerk for the question of whether or not his constitutional rights were violated. Clearly they were. If this can happen to him it can happen to you rich or poor, black or white or other. And for the record if I had just come back from a long trip and had trouble getting into my house and one of my neighbors called the cops on me I'd be ticked too. I hope I'd keep my cool at least with the cops but I would let the nosy neighbor have it! She apparently never bothered to learn the identity of the people who lived in her neighborhood but she's going to go around calling the cops? That's the problem with our country. We depend too much on the government for everything while never taking the time to learn who lives across the street from us. Had she told the dispatcher who asked about the race of the men she saw "Well I couldn't tell, but I do know a black professor lives there" this whole situation probably would have turned out differently.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Matt Collins
07-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah the Judge is great!