PDA

View Full Version : Rasmussen: 75% support Fed Audit

itshappening
07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
So much for the ongoing secrecy of the nation’s independent central banking system. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 75% of Americans favor auditing the Federal Reserve and making the results available to the public.

Just nine percent (9%) of adults think that’s a bad idea and oppose it. Fifteen percent (15%) aren’t sure.

Over half the members of the House now support a bill giving the Government Accounting Office, Congress’ investigative agency, the authorization to audit the books of the Federal Reserve Board.

Support for the bill has grown now that the Obama administration is proposing to give the Fed greater economic regulatory powers. The Fed which sets U.S. monetary policy was created as an independent agency to keep it free of politically-motivated interference.

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke in a town forum filmed on Sunday which is airing this week on PBS stations said he is strongly opposed to the audit legislation. “I don’t think the American people want Congress running monetary policy,” he said. Howard Rich addressed this issue in a recent commentary and concluded it was important to locate the “trillions of dollars” the Fed has spent over the last year-and-a-half.

The new survey finds that an overwhelming majority of Americans in every demographic category – including age, gender, political affiliation, race and income – disagree with Bernanke and favor auditing the Fed to make its secretive deliberations public.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter.

Fifty-two percent (52%) of Americans support Bernanke’s efforts to speak out more publicly than his predecessors as Fed chairman, but his favorables have gone down over the past month. A plurality (41%) think the previous Fed chairman, Alan Greenspan, did a better job, too.

While the president hopes to expand the Fed chairman’s regulatory controls, 46% of Americans say he already has too much power over the economy.

Fifty-one percent (51%) oppose expanding the Fed’s regulatory powers.

Despite Bernanke’s pledge that the Fed will keep interest rates and inflation down, 54% of Americans think interest rates will be higher a year from now, up 20 points from April.

Perhaps helping to drive the support for regularly auditing the Fed is the growing unpopularity of Obama’s economic initiatives to date. While the Fed is an independent agency, just 20% of Americans believe the Fed chairman is truly independent of the Obama administration. Sixty percent (60%) say his decision-making is influence by the president.

Please sign up for the Rasmussen Reports daily e-mail update (it’s free) or follow us on Twitter. Let us keep you up to date with the latest public opinion news.

See survey questions and toplines. Crosstabs are available to Premium Members only.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/general_business/july_2009/75_favor_auditing_the_fed

SPREAD !!

Bradley in DC
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
This is hugely helpful.

Do you access to the crosstabs?

RonPaulFanInGA
07-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Paul needs to start citing this poll when talking about his bill AND people need to use it when pressuring their Congressmen and Senators to get this passed.

itshappening
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
This is hugely helpful.

Do you access to the crosstabs?

No sorry Brad. I just happened to be browsing their site and saw it. I was surprised :eek:

Bradley in DC
07-29-2009, 08:01 PM
people need to use it when pressuring their congressmen and senators to get this passed.

+1 :)

AdamT
07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow I am impressed. The Fed is on the run!

free.alive
07-29-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm jazzed! What we're doing is actually starting to bear fruit!

itshappening
07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
someone create a digg on this?

MRoCkEd
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Ron Paul needs to start mentioning this!
Bernanke: "we are looking out for the public interest by blocking the audit"

Ron Paul: "over 75% of the country wants the audit, asshole!"

speciallyblend
07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
someone needs to take this poll and smack barney frank in the face with it!!

speciallyblend
07-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Wow I am impressed. The Fed is on the run!

singing fed on the run ,fed on the run!

YouTube - Wings- band on the run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8bw_NBsa20)

Bradley in DC
07-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Let's try not to make attacks on people if we want this to pass. ;)

dude58677
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
This is historical as there hasn't been public outrage over central banks in nearly 200 years.

AdamT
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM

+1000

angelatc
07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
+1000

I know what you're saying, but we don't know that Paul has actually requested a hearing.

Barney is on our side with a couple of bills these days. Insulting him won't get us anywhere.

AdamT
07-29-2009, 10:01 PM
I know what you're saying, but we don't know that Paul has actually requested a hearing.

Barney is on our side with a couple of bills these days. Insulting him won't get us anywhere.

Ok ok, but I was rather fond of the visual of BF being smacked with a poll in our favor for once :)

Nonetheless, I will be watching this closely as 1207 comes out of committee. If BF helps get this passed I will think better of him, and will even make a call to thank him.

BenIsForRon
07-29-2009, 10:06 PM
This isn't a democracy guys. Besides, the guys a the Federal Reserve probably own more property than the bottom 50% income earners in America. I guess there shouldn't be an audit...

Working Poor
07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
do they actually care what the people think I wonder....

angelatc
07-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Ok ok, but I was rather fond of the visual of BF being smacked with a poll in our favor for once :)

Nonetheless, I will be watching this closely as 1207 comes out of committee. If BF helps get this passed I will think better of him, and will even make a call to thank him.

He's never going to be one of us. Just settle for what you can get, and don't expect a lot to begin with.

I saw 2 articles today: In the first one, Frank was extolling the virtues of Ron Paul's co-sponsorship of a gambling freedom bill,because Paul recognizes that businesses shouldn't be over-regulated.

In the second, he was threatening to make the banks stop foreclosing on people.

The illogic makes my head spin.

emazur
07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
someone create a digg on this?

http://digg.com/political_opinion/75_Favor_Auditing_The_Fed

speciallyblend
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Let's try not to make attacks on people if we want this to pass. ;)

i meant a love tap:)

speciallyblend
07-29-2009, 10:40 PM

i was kinda of joking . i know barney frank is somewhat of an ally,but if he can back pro-marijuana bills. then he needs to get his butt up and move hr1207

i would perfer to take a big joint and softly give barney love taps with it, is that better! barney has no reason to be delaying this. but if he keeps delaying. then he deserves more then a love tap!

well insulting him on the forum. he deserves it. he has been sitting on it,no excuses, from what i heard he is what is holding up hr1207.

speciallyblend
07-29-2009, 10:43 PM

if barney helps pass this and move it thru. i will roll barney frank a huge joint and give him free snowboard lessons and offer him some special ron paul cookies:)

Get to work Barney;) no more delays or your gonna get a crappy mexican joint! i should of put sarcasm to my slapping barney post. i just figured folks knew i was joking:)

Bradley in DC
07-29-2009, 10:46 PM
i was kinda of joking . i know barney frank is somewhat of an ally,but if he can back pro-marijuana bills. then he needs to get his butt up and move hr1207

i would perfer to take a big joint and softly give barney love taps with it, is that better! barney has no reason to be delaying this. but if he keeps delaying. then he deserves more then a love tap!

well insulting him on the forum. he deserves it. he has been sitting on it,no excuses, from what i heard he is what is holding up hr1207.

No, we don't know that Chairman Frank is holding up the bill. Antagonizing him unfairly would be counterproductive.

speciallyblend
07-29-2009, 10:57 PM
No, we don't know that Chairman Frank is holding up the bill. Antagonizing him unfairly would be counterproductive.

true but getting him stoned might help;)

Bradley in DC
07-29-2009, 11:00 PM
true but getting him stoned might help;)

<eyes closed, fingers in my ears, LALALALALALALA!!>

Mort
07-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Wouldn't it be useless to pass HR 1207 until we at least have a chance of being able to pass the equivalent bill in the senate?

You could argue the momentum from the house bill may help. But who knows if thats enough.

Bradley in DC
07-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Wouldn't it be useless to pass HR 1207 until we at least have a chance of being able to pass the equivalent bill in the senate?

You could argue the momentum from the house bill may help. But who knows if thats enough.

Not useless, no. It has to start in one chamber or the other. In fact, passing it would provide "momentum" to the bill.

itshappening
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Rasmussen put the fed audit survey results in their press release for the week :D

'Forty-nine percent (49%) now say that America’s best days have come and gone. Just 38% believe they are still to come. Thirty-four percent (34%) say the country is heading in the right direction. Seventy-five percent (75%) want the Federal Reserve to be audited. '

Bradley in DC
07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Rasmussen put the fed audit survey results in their press release for the week :D

'Forty-nine percent (49%) now say that America’s best days have come and gone. Just 38% believe they are still to come. Thirty-four percent (34%) say the country is heading in the right direction. Seventy-five percent (75%) want the Federal Reserve to be audited. '

nice.