PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Internet Sensation on MSNBC Today

michaelwise
09-25-2007, 09:27 PM
In case you missed the show earlier today. If you read the news ticker at the the bottom, you'll see that a 71 year old prime minister of Japan was elected today. I just thought that was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPAM0v8XRb8

amonasro
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Excellent, thanks for this. RP looks good and energized, if not a bit thinner than last I've seen him. No doubt all this campaigning is a big calorie-burner. I hope his wife is baking him lots of cookies for the road!

Cowlesy
09-25-2007, 09:51 PM
See he seemed great in that interview! Relaxed and confident. I hope he can apply that to some of the debates where sometimes it seems like a flood of his great ideas all try to come out at once, and you can almost see him pause, reshuffle, and assert points. One can only imagine how much of a pressure cooker those national debates are in which you know every single phrase will be scrutinized.

Stealth4
09-25-2007, 10:07 PM
He needs a nap

UtahApocalypse
09-25-2007, 10:08 PM
one of the best Interviews I have seen. My favorite "IF you are not the republican nominee" No longer is Ron Paul so much NOT a chance I guess :)

michaelwise
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
It seems like he does so much better with A one on one conversation, rather than in a gangland style setting where time is limited.

zimmru
09-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Great interview! I'm a card-carrying Libertarian, and I disagree with Ron Paul on the border issue (the only issue I disagree with), but it's so refreshing to hear a politician actually answer questions and give actual solutions to problems.

dsentell
09-25-2007, 10:34 PM
It's hard for me to imagine, but I love Ron Paul more every time I hear him speak!

Long Live Ron Paul! Long Live America!

dsentell
09-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Welcome zimmru!

Ron Paul is most refreshing!

0zzy
09-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Great interview! I'm a card-carrying Libertarian, and I disagree with Ron Paul on the border issue (the only issue I disagree with), but it's so refreshing to hear a politician actually answer questions and give actual solutions to problems.

Welcome to Ron Paul Forums! :)

And what part do you not believe with?

Interesting video on immigration for those who are on both sides of the fence, so to speak.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4094926727128068265

AFTFNJ
09-25-2007, 10:59 PM
He needs a big meal to put the pounds back on.

slantedview
09-26-2007, 12:29 AM
At the end of the interview, Ron mentioned that his colleagues on capital hill have been coming up to him a lot and mentioning that they see more of his signs than anyone else. I hadn't thought about that before, how his stature in Congress might be elevated from the success of his campaign. Pretty sweet :)

Omnis
09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Why does the MSNBC camera make Ron Paul look like he has a huge head/face all the time? I think their lens must have some kind of barrel distortion.

katao
09-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Welcome! I too thought I disagreed with Ron about the borders until I read this interview:

http://vdare.com/misc/070912_paul.htm

This interview shows the brilliance of RP!

I tend to be a more "open borders" type of libertarian and have questioned Ron's emphasis on strong borders, frankly because I think the national security risk is way overblown - it doesn't take a terrorist coming into the country to do damage, there's already lots of people here that are ready and willing. I also believe that the arguments for the free trade of labor are identical to the free trade of goods - economic (everyone benefits from trade in the long-term) and security (economic ties bind people together in good will).

But RP gets it! His concern is national sovereignty and the rule of law, not the fear-mongering and protectionism that other candidates use for justification of their stances on immigration.

zimmru
09-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Thanks katao for the link to the interview and your thoughts. It definitely helps ease my concern.

I still have a few minor disagreements:

1) I think the threat to our national sovereignty isn't because people are coming in here from Mexico, it's because our government is getting involved with the UN, WTO, North American Union, etc, etc. It seems like sometimes our blame for what Bush and friends are doing spills over to illegals.

2) In the article katoa linked, Ron Paul says

If we have a healthy economy, I think we could be very generous on work programs. People come in, fulfill their role and go back home.

He says that only if we have a healthy economy, we could be very generous on work programs. I think a more free market solution would be better. I think the government should offer a work card to anyone that can get here and is willing to sign a piece of paper agreeing to obey the law (which, BTW, is already more than any of us legals do), and after a certain time limit (maybe a couple years), if the worker is not being a menace to society, they can sign another paper and gain citizenship.

There are a lot of otherwise honest people coming here illegally because it's way too difficult to do it legally.

3) I question if fence building (which Ron Paul seems to support) is very cost efficient. Surely it's more cost efficient than fighting in Iraq, but I wonder if the same logic that Ron Paul applies to the Iraqi war (i.e. our foreign policy is to blame) can't be applied to immigration (i.e. our welfare policy is to blame).

Ultimately, I wish rather than promoting fence building, we would use the problem of illegal immigration to point out the problems of government handouts.

Am I misunderstanding Ron Paul's position?

At any rate, I love Ron Paul and have been a huge fan of his for several years (ever since I was introduced to his Texas Straight Talk articles), so these are minor concerns to me. I would gladly have Ron Paul implement his immigration policy, if it meant he were President.

ItsTime
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM

welcome to the forums! Have you donated to Paul yet?

zimmru
09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
welcome to the forums! Have you donated to Paul yet?
Yes. I do need to donate some more, though.

Admittedly, I think he's doing more for liberty than the Libertarian Party could ever dream of.

JMann
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Welcome! I too thought I disagreed with Ron about the borders until I read this interview:

http://vdare.com/misc/070912_paul.htm

This interview shows the brilliance of RP!

I tend to be a more "open borders" type of libertarian and have questioned Ron's emphasis on strong borders, frankly because I think the national security risk is way overblown - it doesn't take a terrorist coming into the country to do damage, there's already lots of people here that are ready and willing. I also believe that the arguments for the free trade of labor are identical to the free trade of goods - economic (everyone benefits from trade in the long-term) and security (economic ties bind people together in good will).

But RP gets it! His concern is national sovereignty and the rule of law, not the fear-mongering and protectionism that other candidates use for justification of their stances on immigration.

Why anyone would want a large uneducated class of people coming into a highly educated country is beyond me. Many of the people coming from third and fourth world countries have not even had basic immunizations that our country has been requiring for 40 years.

Hook
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Most libertarians don't stay up at night worrying about the borders. That is probably the only real disagreement with Dr. Paul that most Libs have.

DrNoZone
09-26-2007, 11:34 AM
3) I question if fence building (which Ron Paul seems to support) is very cost efficient. Surely it's more cost efficient than fighting in Iraq, but I wonder if the same logic that Ron Paul applies to the Iraqi war (i.e. our foreign policy is to blame) can't be applied to immigration (i.e. our welfare policy is to blame).

Ultimately, I wish rather than promoting fence building, we would use the problem of illegal immigration to point out the problems of government handouts.

Although I agree with his stance on the immigration issue, the one niggling thing I had an issue with was his vote in support of the fence. I won't go into my reasons here though. But I read just today that Ron voted for the fence bill because of the OTHER items in the bill, not because of the fence specifically. It seemed he was saying that if it were up to him, the fence bit would have been removed from that bill. Anyone else have a good link to actual Ron Paul words on this issue?

Hook
09-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Why anyone would want a large uneducated class of people coming into a highly educated country is beyond me. Many of the people coming from third and fourth world countries have not even had basic immunizations that our country has been requiring for 40 years.

It's just not a very high priority with most Libertarians. They more indifferent than anything to this issue.

Syren123
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Thanks katao for the link to the interview and your thoughts. It definitely helps ease my concern.

I still have a few minor disagreements:

1) I think the threat to our national sovereignty isn't because people are coming in here from Mexico, it's because our government is getting involved with the UN, WTO, North American Union, etc, etc. It seems like sometimes our blame for what Bush and friends are doing spills over to illegals.

2) In the article katoa linked, Ron Paul says

He says that only if we have a healthy economy, we could be very generous on work programs. I think a more free market solution would be better. I think the government should offer a work card to anyone that can get here and is willing to sign a piece of paper agreeing to obey the law (which, BTW, is already more than any of us legals do), and after a certain time limit (maybe a couple years), if the worker is not being a menace to society, they can sign another paper and gain citizenship.

There are a lot of otherwise honest people coming here illegally because it's way too difficult to do it legally.

Am I misunderstanding Ron Paul's position?

At any rate, I love Ron Paul and have been a huge fan of his for several years (ever since I was introduced to his Texas Straight Talk articles), so these are minor concerns to me. I would gladly have Ron Paul implement his immigration policy, if it meant he were President.

No you're not misunderstanding it...but it looks like you haven't heard him speak as much as maybe some of us hardcore types have. Your points in #1 and #3 ARE his position. Our problems DO stem from our membership in world govt organizations and illegals ARE made scapegoats. Illegals DO come here because of the magnet of social programs and shutting off the magnet is CRUCIAL to controlling illegal immigration. However, he didn't so much 'promote' the fence per se and vote FOR the defense of our borders and sovereignty.

If those are your views (#1 & 3), then you most certainly do understand Ron Paul's positions and are in line with them.

RobotJaxxon
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Admittedly, I think he's doing more for liberty than the Libertarian Party could ever dream of.

I keep wanting to know... is Ron Paul supporting or endorsing any 2008 Republican congressional candidates?!?

Whether he wins the presidency or not, we NEED to get him some friends in congress. With the big influx of RP supporters into the republican party, voting in the primaries, we can probably get a small army of Ron Pauliticians into Washington. No one is paying attention to any races other than president. We CAN take over a corner of the republican party. But we need to know who to vote for!!

Can we find some good libertarians to run for congress as Republicans?

AlexAmore
09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
I would run for something except i'm 19....doh.

zimmru
09-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, I hijacked the thread a little, but these posts have been very helpful.

Looks like I was a bit mistaken about Ron Paul's desire to fence-build. That's really good to hear. The more I've researched it, the more comfortable I am with Ron Paul's stance. I heard that Ron Paul wants to "secure our borders" and I just starting assuming too much.

RobotJaxxon, you bring up a good point. I'm already planning on switching back to Republican so I can vote for Ron Paul in the primaries, but if the Republicans could get some more limited goverment candidates, I might stay there.