PDA

View Full Version : My Conversation with Carolyn Mccarthy's Office

zade
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Carolyn McCarthy is a Democrat representative from NY representing my district. She is among the minority in the house who has not cosponsored 1207. Today I called her office in DC to inquire as to why she hasn't supported it, and got a bizarre response.

I expressed the usual talking points about how the Fed has to be held accountable, and how more than half the house has already cosponsored the bill, showing there is widespread pressure to get this done.

The secretary told me to hold, and after a few minutes informed me that "The Fed is already audited, being an independent institution, so the bill would be pointless."

:eek:

What's the deal with this?

Cowlesy
07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
They are mis-informed. You should call back tomorrow.

Bradley in DC
07-27-2009, 08:36 PM
The secretary told me to hold, and after a few minutes informed me that "The Fed is already audited, being an independent institution, so the bill would be pointless."

:eek:

What's the deal with this?

It sounds as if you're handling it well.

Stay polite and courteous. Let her know that you understand that the Fed is audited every year (this is true), but that the audits aren't full enough because the Fed is exercising unusual authorities with all of the bailouts. It's important that she maintain her role of Congressional oversight.