PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma State Fair Straw Poll Results

R_Harris
09-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted (didn't see anything on this view), but here are the final results from the Oklahoma State Fair Straw Poll, which concluded this past Sunday:

The final State Fair of Oklahoma GOP Straw Poll count is:

Total votes cast: 1818

(Percentages rounded to the nearest whole number)

Fred Thompson------841 46%
Rudy Giuliani --------311 17%
Ron Paul-------------203 11%
Mike Huckabee ------141 8%
Mitt Romney---------131 7%
John McCain---------114 6%
Sam Brownback-------27 1%
Tom Tancredo--------27 1%
Duncan Hunter--------23 1%

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Ron Paul could do well in Oklahoma, if he would go there and speak in several places. Oklahoma is a very traditionally conservative state and very pro 2nd amendment. He will have some issues because of Iraq, but I think he could overcome it. If only people could hear him.

Note: I was born and raised in Oklahoma

SwooshOU
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey, I voted in that poll! WOO HOO! Wish a few more poeple would have voted with me. A third place showing in a place he hasn't even been (if I'm not mistaken) isn't bad at all!

K1RBY
09-25-2007, 08:14 PM
my wife and i were at the republican booth and observed 3 different days during the 10day straw poll.
one of my meetup group organizers spent alot of time at the booth & watched the same thing i did....this is how it went down.

people walk by the booth, the women working flag them down & say 'you wanna vote in our straw poll?'

every 10-20th person just says 'well, i dunno, who is good??'

the women respond 'well, i like fred thompson...'.

i am not making this up. people really are this dumb. it was so frustrating.

the 2nd problem with the poll was that it was an open score board.
people just look at at who is winning & cast their vote for the majority.
..when i showed up on the first day to vote, fred thompson was way out in first place. i can only assume because of the coching that was going down by the local republican ladies running it.

quickmike
09-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Ron Paul could do well in Oklahoma, if he would go there and speak in several places. Oklahoma is a very traditionally conservative state and very pro 2nd amendment. He will have some issues because of Iraq, but I think he could overcome it. If only people could hear him.

No offense, but it seems there are alot of pretty stupid people in Oklahoma if you ask me. Fred Thompson???????

WTF is that?

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:20 PM
No offense, but it seems there are alot of pretty stupid people in Oklahoma if you ask me. Fred Thompson???????

WTF is that?

Hey!!! Wait a minute there, Mikey. Them thar is fightin' words. :)

No, they're not stupid. Until they find out more about Fred, at first glance, he sounds like a conservative. If they don't know about Paul, it makes a whole lot of sense to me that they'd vote for Fred.

It just means we have to get the word out is all. Those old Republican ladies and what they were doing? That's why we need to infilitrate the Republican party in each of our states.

quickmike
09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey!!! Wait a minute there, Mikey. Them thar is fightin' words. :)

No, they're not stupid. Until they find out more about Fred, at first glance, he sounds like a conservative. If they don't know about Paul, it makes a whole lot of sense to me that they'd vote for Fred.

It just means we have to get the word out is all. Those old Republican ladies and what they were doing? That's why we need to infilitrate the Republican party in each of our states.

Fair enough. :D

hard@work
09-25-2007, 08:26 PM

WTF is that?

WTF is that? It's this:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_18/1124672489X0J528.jpg

Know your enemy.

quickmike
09-25-2007, 08:36 PM
WTF is that? It's this:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_18/1124672489X0J528.jpg

Know your enemy.

Cant just be TV though. NH has TVs too but Ron wins there. Theres got to be more to it than just TV. Sounds to me that OK likes to "get its war on"

ksuguy
09-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Yep, in this part of the country people are all about kicking ass all over the world. The whole "we have to fight them there" mindset is very common. It's a tough issue.

I agree that radical Islam is a problem, but the current way we are going about handling the issue doesn't seem to be working very well. I just try and stick to Ron's domestic stances when I talk to people, those are the main reasons I like him anyway.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Cant just be TV though. NH has TVs too but Ron wins there. Theres got to be more to it than just TV. Sounds to me that OK likes to "get its war on"

Well, according to the news, Hillary is winning in New Hampshire.

walt
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM

LMAO at your note

runderwo
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
It's worse than that. The lady flat out admitted to me that they caught someone who had voted 20 times. She didn't say what they did with the extra votes. The votes were a checkmark next to a name on a slip of paper, no ID, no voter reg, nothing checked. The only way to prevent someone from voting dozens of times would have been if the same person worked the booth day in and day out, and recognized their face.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Yep, in this part of the country people are all about kicking ass all over the world. The whole "we have to fight them there" mindset is very common. It's a tough issue.

I agree that radical Islam is a problem, but the current way we are going about handling the issue doesn't seem to be working very well. I just try and stick to Ron's domestic stances when I talk to people, those are the main reasons I like him anyway.

I really wish Dr. Paul could go to Oklahoma City and then to Tulsa to give some speeches.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:58 PM
LMAO at your note

Why?

ThePieSwindler
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
If its really true that they voted in the poll based on a "hint" or a "whim", then this just shows that come primary time, only the SERIOUS voters will get out and vote - and we all know how serious and organized Ron Paul voters are. The fact that he is coming in so high in most straw polls just shows that he is another frontrunner. Hes getting more TV face time, more money, higher polling percentages, etc. And now he has that new, powerful ally in Iowa as his campaign chair there. Things are REALLY looking up!

ksuguy
09-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I really wish Dr. Paul could go to Oklahoma City and then to Tulsa to give some speeches.

I'd make the drive down if he did! We would like to get him to Wichita too, but I doubt we can get the money together that it would take. Kansas is not an important state in the primaries since it will all be over by the time we decide. We are not even having an election, just a caucus.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I might check and see how much it would cost to run a 1/2 page ad in the Tulsa World or to put an insert in there. :) But, maybe the money is best spent on the early states.

R_Harris
09-26-2007, 07:21 AM
It's worse than that. The lady flat out admitted to me that they caught someone who had voted 20 times. She didn't say what they did with the extra votes. The votes were a checkmark next to a name on a slip of paper, no ID, no voter reg, nothing checked. The only way to prevent someone from voting dozens of times would have been if the same person worked the booth day in and day out, and recognized their face.

Yes, I was really surprised by the lack of credentialed voting control also. ANYONE over 18 who could move and make an X could vote in this thing. And yes, if someone was so zealous to come back several times (and especially on different days) and vote for their candidate, they could easily do so. (In fact, I confess that I thought about it, but no I did not do it, because I didn't want anyone accusing Ron Paul of having his "spam" group out!)

But this definitely wasn't your more scientific straw poll, so no one should put great credence in it.

nexalacer
09-26-2007, 08:01 AM

I love that mid-America sends the rest of the country to war based on their irrational, TV influenced, fear influenced beliefs. Radical Islam is a problem for people living in Islamic countries, not for Americans.

And even if we were to take the FAR from reality position that the armies of Mohammed will come to our shores en masse, what are the chances of them ACTUALLY getting to, or wanting to go to, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, or Illinois? Maybe Chicago, but, honestly, the fear that drives the bible belt is so ridiculous, it's nearly unfathomable.

K1RBY
09-26-2007, 08:44 AM
this is talk radio country. we wont name recognition in oklahoma until one the the right wing talk radio hosts start backing him.

my bets are on savage or doyle.
savage is the first to break from bush on everything so far.
but doyle is less war friendly, and was the first to start talking about the NAU when all the others were still hanging up on callers about it.

jj111
09-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Call into Savage and Doyle and start mentioning Ron Paul on air.

RonFan1776
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Correction, this is Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity country. If you don't hear it on one of those three, it's not the truth.

Oh, and I shouldn't leave out Dave Ramsey. Dave should be backing Ron due to his monetary policy if nothing else. If Dave backed Ron Paul he'd win the election in a land-slide victory. :rolleyes:

ksuguy
09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I love that mid-America sends the rest of the country to war based on their irrational, TV influenced, fear influenced beliefs. Radical Islam is a problem for people living in Islamic countries, not for Americans.

And even if we were to take the FAR from reality position that the armies of Mohammed will come to our shores en masse, what are the chances of them ACTUALLY getting to, or wanting to go to, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, or Illinois? Maybe Chicago, but, honestly, the fear that drives the bible belt is so ridiculous, it's nearly unfathomable.

It's not exactly fear. People just like the idea of the USA being #1 and beating the shit out of the rest of the world. The feel that pulling out now would just be admitting defeat and make us look bad.

TheEchoPlaza
09-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey I'm from OKC and I voted in the straw poll and talked to those Republican ladies running it too. I concealed my identity as a Ron Paul supporter just to get a taste of what they were all about. Well, you all are right, they sure wanted to tell me how Fred was their man, a "true conservative". Yikes! I just smiled and nodded until they stopped repeating "conservative talk radio" talking points about how Fred was the next Reagan. No wonder he won the poll. Half the people who voted were the white trash fair folk who come in droves to our state fair (its truly scary!). Oklahoma is the home of TOBY KEITH!!! I guarantee Ron Paul won the Straw Poll for people who actually made a point to vote in it. The other people (the majority) that were approached by these ladies and asked to vote were idiots who don't even know who's running for president. There are some great people in OK and we do deserve a visit from the Doc but we are outnumbered by people who are apathetic or worse "don't rattle the big dog's cage" type faketriots. Oklahoma probably has one of the highest percentage straight party (i.e. all Republican, all Democrat on a ballot) voting in the whole country and the most restrictive ballot access laws in the nation. We were the only state that didn't have atleast one third party candidate on the ballot in the 2004 election and we are a closed primary. That being said, we also have Senator Coburn, whom I don't agree with on the Iraq War but who is probably the most limited government oriented conservative in the Senate (I know thats not saying a lot!). We also have a state representative, Charles Key, who if you remember is the guy that stood up to the coverup of OKC Bombing back in 95' and pressed for an independent investigation into others unknown and government malfeasance and complicity. He's a real constitutional libertarian/conservative kind of guy and a fan of Ron and has tried getting in touch with the national campaign several times so Ron could come out, maybe to the state legistlature and speak sometime. Anyway just thought I'd add my input on Oklahoma, cause we're not all bad, but some of the criticism is warranted. Remember, Ron Paul still got 3rd place in a straw poll that was unconcsiously rigged against him at a particularily ugly state fair straw poll (politically and otherwise) so don't fret!

runderwo
09-29-2007, 10:26 AM
There's another straw poll at the Tulsa state fair this week. I have been told it costs 1.00 per vote. We will see how that modifies the results.

LibertyEagle
09-29-2007, 10:37 AM
There's another straw poll at the Tulsa state fair this week. I have been told it costs 1.00 per vote. We will see how that modifies the results.

1 lousy dollar? On second thought, that might keep some of the riff-raff from voting.

LibertyEagle
09-29-2007, 10:41 AM
It's not exactly fear. People just like the idea of the USA being #1 and beating the shit out of the rest of the world. The feel that pulling out now would just be admitting defeat and make us look bad.

EXACTLY! I think that's the crux of the matter with most good 'ol boys. It boils down to pride and bravado.

Now, we have to figure out the best way to get around that. In another thread, a guy says he has had a lot of success by using the financial aspect to thwart his. You know, the this war is costing us billions and if we go belly up financially, how in hell can we even defend ourselves, aspect. :p He has a list of what he shows them to get this across. Take a look, it sounded good to me.

TheEchoPlaza
09-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Yeah Oklahoma definitely doesn't like the idea of pulling out, whether it's in Iraq or otherwise. Just look at our #1 ranking in high school/teen pregnancies!!!:D

Roxi
09-29-2007, 12:34 PM

WTF is that?

hey hey now.... although im not from here i live here so watch it.. , but no i see where your coming from, that has been a belief for a long time and the butt of many jokes because native oklahomans have a large percentage of "backwoods country boys" but oklahoma being the crotch of america is actually now a central hub for all of the US so the population of "stupid people" has become a much smaller percentage there are also a LARGE LARGE number of illegals and other immigrants here adding to the mix.

now i can't speak for fred thompson

LibertyEagle
09-30-2007, 03:41 PM
hey hey now.... although im not from here i live here so watch it.. , but no i see where your coming from, that has been a belief for a long time and the butt of many jokes because native oklahomans have a large percentage of "backwoods country boys" but oklahoma being the crotch of america is actually now a central hub for all of the US so the population of "stupid people" has become a much smaller percentage there are also a LARGE LARGE number of illegals and other immigrants here adding to the mix.

now i can't speak for fred thompson

Oklahomans are not stupid. Not by a long shot. I have no idea where you're getting this "crotch of America" BS. That kinda ticks me off, to tell you the truth.

Any backwoods country boys tend to congregate in the mountainous area of southern Oklahoma. The IQ drops substantially, the further south you go. It is a whole other world in southern OK, than what you find elsewhere.

steph3n
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Want me to take you quail hunting Eagle? I could conveniently do like Cheney for that comment!

The backwoods country boys tend to congregate in the mountainous area of southern Oklahoma. The IQ drops, the further south you go.

SwooshOU
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
The backwoods country boys tend to congregate in the mountainous area of southern Oklahoma. The IQ drops, the further south you go.

Indeed, closer to Arkansas.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Want me to take you quail hunting Eagle? I could conveniently do like Cheney for that comment!

My grandfather was in the Oklahoma Land Run. I was born and raised in Oklahoma. Now, think on that for a minute and consider whether you'd really be able to pull that off. ;)

LibertyEagle
09-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a decent amount of Native American blood in me and was taught well by my father.

speciallyblend
09-30-2007, 04:44 PM
In my eyes we should give everything east of denver back to the british,then the smart people could move to Colorado:)_