PDA

View Full Version : RP's next bill should be securing our voting machines.

JoshLowry
07-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Nice easy to read bill just like HR1207 that we can all bug the hell out of our Congressman about.

dr. hfn
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
It definitely should be something that we think we can get passed. We need a few victories under our belt before we try to abolish half of the federal government. I really like Downsize DC's bills.

RideTheDirt
07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
It definitely should be something that we think we can get passed. We need a few victories under our belt before we try to abolish half of the federal government. I really like Downsize DC's bills.
I agree, we need some experience. We have done well on 1207, but we are not yet finished. When we get this passed then we can move on. Let's keep at it.

Can't wait to continue to help throw out the garbage DC has thrown on our backs over the years!

Reason
07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Nice easy to read bill just like HR1207 that we can all bug the hell out of our Congressman about.

Great idea,

however one flaw in the anti electronic voting machine push has been that even when the individual machines are replaced with paper ballots, they still use machines to count those ballots.

PaulaGem
07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I haven't followed BlackBoxVoting for a while, too depressing.

Does anyone know if they have a concise statement of what type of system would be most secure?

I agree, if 1207 or a version of it goes through the next thing that HAS to be tackled is the vote and passing 1207 would give momentum to real reform.

JoshLowry
07-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Great idea,

however one flaw in the anti electronic voting machine push has been that even when the individual machines are replaced with paper ballots, they still use machines to count those ballots.

I'm not necessarily anti-electronic. Maybe both a paper receipt as well as some kind of website to verify your vote.

Have people count how many voters there are and then those people can go home and verify there vote is counted the correct way.

It should all be open source software as well.

literatim
07-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I have a feeling it won't matter. Teleprompter will be running for President in 2012 and all the Diebold machines will come out in support of it.

LittleLightShining
07-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I like this idea.

I also think people should take pictures of their ballots with their phones before they turn them in.

brandon
07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
I have a feeling it won't matter. Teleprompter will be running for President in 2012 and all the Diebold machines will come out in support of it.

This.

tangent4ronpaul
07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I've heard in Mexico they use paper ballots and ballot boxes you can see into - so no chance to stuff the box. every one votes, then stays and they count them by hand.

Presumably a party follows...

-t

JoshLowry
07-27-2009, 06:09 PM

It would matter in 2016 though.

Dr.3D
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Seems there is a problem with being able to verify the votes. Here is one idea I have had for a little while.

Each ballot should have a number attached that is torn off by the voter. The person holding the number, could then check the number on the internet to see if it matched the vote they made. If a person wanted to check how their vote was recorded right after they voted, they could go to a terminal where they voted and type in the number to see the results.

The only problem I can see with this would be, what happens if somebody finds the vote they made was incorrectly recorded? Would they be able to take their receipt with the number on it someplace where they would correct the vote?

bucfish
07-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I agree Josh what a great bi partisan bill for RP to Champion!

PaulaGem
07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Seems there is a problem with being able to verify the votes. Here is one idea I have had for a little while.

Each ballot should have a number attached that is torn off by the voter. The person holding the number, could then check the number on the internet to see if it matched the vote they made. If a person wanted to check how their vote was recorded right after they voted, they could go to a terminal where they voted and type in the number to see the results.

The only problem I can see with this would be, what happens if somebody finds the vote they made was incorrectly recorded? Would they be able to take their receipt with the number on it someplace where they would correct the vote?

I think there should be a system for correcting such a vote and counting errors. An error rate over a certain percentage should trigger an entirely new vote.

PaulaGem
07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
It would matter in 2016 though.

If things get bad enough - it will matter.

That's the only reason 1207 is getting any attention.

Bryan
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
IMO, the problem is that Dr. Paul wouldn't do it since voting management is a states right issue. The alternative would be to get C4L state legistation introduced in each state. Or is there some creative way to respect states rights but still work around this?

erowe1
07-27-2009, 07:12 PM
The federal government has no business involving itself in voting machines, or anything else having to do with voting for that matter. There's no possibility that Ron Paul would support that.

PaulaGem
07-27-2009, 07:24 PM
What is the current federal involvement in the voting process? Perhaps there should be another "repeal it" style bill then.

erowe1
07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
What is the current federal involvement in the voting process? Perhaps there should be another "repeal it" style bill then.

Now there's something that sounds like something RP would back, a bill that repeals the Help America Vote Act, the Motor Voter Bill, and all the voting rights and election related amendments that have been passed since the Civil War.

LibertyEagle
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
RP's next bill should be securing our voting machines.

Isn't this a county and state issue? My understanding is that it is. I've read that some who have taken action have gotten voting machines thrown out of their respective areas.

IPSecure
07-27-2009, 07:55 PM
WTP Federal Lawsuit to Ban All Electronic Voting Heads for Trial
http://wethepeoplefoundation.org/UPDATE/Update2009-05-11.htm
http://digg.com/d1qxxW?OTC-em-sh2
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=192136

Election Activists: We Need Expert Witnesses, Research & Legal Assistance
http://wethepeoplefoundation.org/UPDATE/Update2009-05-11.htm
http://digg.com/d1qxxW?OTC-em-sh2
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=192162

I emailed Bev @ BlackBox, but have not heard back...
http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

Maybe we could get Bob on Freedom Watch...

Bradley in DC
07-27-2009, 08:50 PM

Um, only with respect to use in Federal elections, right. ;)

erowe1
07-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Um, only with respect to use in Federal elections, right. ;)

Do you mean the election that takes place in December every 4 years that consists only of the votes cast by the 538 electors? Or do you mean the elections to choose those electors that take place separately in all of the sovereign states in November of those same years that the federal government has no business interfering in (except as mandated by the 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 24th, and 26th amendments, none of which should ever have been passed)?

acptulsa
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm not even sure I approve of federal standards, much less a full set of federal regulations. Keep it local, let the people tend their own votes and keep it honest, and don't squelch competition because I, for one, don't want Diebold (whatever it was renamed to) having a monopoly--and federal regulations lead to monopolies time after time.

Maybe a federal law requiring a paper trail--maybe--but nothing more out of Washington, please.

erowe1
07-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe a federal law requiring a paper trail--maybe--but nothing more out of Washington, please.

I like the idea of laws to keep elections honest and keeping these laws updated to keep up with changing voting technology, just never on the federal level.

An idea I've heard that I like a lot is for each voter to get a receipt with a number on it that on its own says nothing about how they voted, but that they can look up on the internet or some list published after voting has closed at their polling place that says what votes were cast corresponding to each numbered voter, thus keeping all votes anonymous, but providing a check against fraud occurring in the vote counting process (either by humans or machines).

acptulsa
07-28-2009, 08:07 AM
An idea I've heard that I like a lot is for each voter to get a receipt with a number on it that on its own says nothing about how they voted, but that they can look up on the internet or some list published after voting has closed at their polling place that says what votes were cast corresponding to each numbered voter, thus keeping all votes anonymous, but providing a check against fraud occurring in the vote counting process (either by humans or machines).

I love this. Maybe we'll try shoving that through here in Oklahoma. We can be the test case if we hurry.

mediahasyou
07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Don't make me pay for it.

If YOU people think this is very important, YOU should start a nonprofit to do it instead of making the government do it.

reduen
07-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Election by paper ballot only...! Love that idea....:cool:

PaulaGem
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't make me pay for it.

If YOU people think this is very important, YOU should start a nonprofit to do it instead of making the government do it.

You're already paying for another system of voting. Why should you have a problem with paying for a more honest one instead? Besides, paper ballot systems will probably be cheaper too.

Original_Intent
07-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Isn't this a county and state issue? My understanding is that it is. I've read that some who have taken action have gotten voting machines thrown out of their respective areas.

It may currently be a county and state issue, this is an area where I do agree federal guidelines are in order.

If fraud is occurring in some county in another state, not only are the members of that country being defrauded, but everyone in the country is (in a federal election, anyway).

PaulaGem
07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
It may currently be a county and state issue, this is an area where I do agree federal guidelines are in order.

If fraud is occurring in some county in another state, not only are the members of that country being defrauded, but everyone in the country is (in a federal election, anyway).

Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually trust the federal government to economically fund research in this area and come up with some good recommendations for the states? Maybe Dr. Paul could get behind something like that, perhaps with Bev Harris and some of the BBV people in a supervisory capacity.....

What a beautiful dream........

Optatron
07-28-2009, 11:08 AM
securing our privacy to political contributions would be nice too.

Bryan
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I like the idea of laws to keep elections honest and keeping these laws updated to keep up with changing voting technology, just never on the federal level.

This is what we did for the Liberty Straw Poll and it worked perfectly. Actually what we did is when you "registered" to vote (ie: bought a ticket) you got an alpha-numeric voting key which you would use to place your vote and then all the votes were published with their voting key.

Of course for real elections it's very important to keep them private so no one can assure you vote "correctly".

Again however- any federal standards are just bad.