PDA

View Full Version : Republican Moms for marijuana: 'Time to legalize is now'

Matt Collins
07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
http://media.coloradodaily.com/coda/content/img/photos/2009/04/19/JessicaCorry_t200.JPG

Republican moms for marijuana: 'Time to legalize is now'
It will take conservatives and women to help turn tide against pot prohibition
http://www.coloradodaily.com/news/2009/jul/26/legalize-marijuana-pot-colorado-republican-moms/

By By Jessica Peck Corry, For the Colorado Daily
Sunday, July 26, 2009

BOULDER, Colo. — As a Republican mother committed to legalizing marijuana, political life can be lonely. But while many in my party whisper about the Drug War's insanity, we should shout it from the rooftop: the time to legalize is now.

Calling for a new approach doesn't make me a pothead. In fact, while I freely admit to having previously smoked marijuana -- as do more than 95 million other Americans, including our last three presidents -- I choose not to be an active marijuana user today.

While opponents may argue that legalization is all about a bunch of twentysomethings wanting to get high, the debate deserves a more respectful and truthful analysis.

Take medical marijuana. On July 20, Colorado's Health Board voted down a proposal that would have effectively shuttered the medical marijuana dispensaries serving as crucial sources of legal marijuana across the state. As a result, courageous patients, including AIDS survivor Damien LaGoy, will not have to take to dangerous streets to obtain marijuana.

Instead, the state's nearly 10,000 patients can continue their existing relationships with dispensaries, many of who deliver to the homebound and hold extensive knowledge about the benefits and side effects of specific strains.

To LaGoy, who weighs just 100 pounds, marijuana is the only medicine proven to effectively combat the nausea he faces from his pharmaceutical medications.

Even outside of medical uses, support for outright legalization is skyrocketing. An April ABC News-Washington Post poll concluded that national support stands at 46 percent.

Already, there is talk that Colorado may see a legalization bill in 2010. In 2006, voters were asked to legalize small amounts for adult consumption. Forty-four percent said yes -- more than the number supporting the GOP's gubernatorial candidate. With one more vote in every 10, Colorado could become the first state to lift prohibition entirely.

If history is any guide, the crucial female voting bloc, including many Republicans, will provide the political will essential to making this happen.

In 1929, it was the Women's Organization for National Prohibition Reform successfully leading the charge to end America's decade-long experiment with alcohol prohibition. While many of these same activists fought just years earlier to forbid booze, they quickly witnessed prohibition's devastating consequences, including increased violence.

Just four years into the Women's Organization for National Prohibition Reform's repeal efforts, prohibition was over.

Prohibition is a bipartisan creation, lending power to drug cartels and bad public policy. One example: Students convicted of any drug offense can be stripped of all federal financial aid, forcing many out of school and into low-income communities where harsher drugs, including methamphetamine, run rampant.

Courageous conservatives across the country, including Texas Congressman Ron Paul, former Colorado Congressman Tom Tancredo and former New Mexico Gov. Tim Johnson, have all said yes to legalization.

If we believe that smaller government is better government, we must trust people to choose what to put into their bodies. If we support legalized access to alcohol, cigarettes, and 700-calorie cheeseburgers, we should legalize marijuana -- a far less harmful substance.

So what will I tell my kids when they are old enough to contemplate marijuana use?
I'll tell them I hope they make good decisions with their bodies, which are sacred and should be respected. If all goes as planned, I'll also be able to take them down memory lane, sharing what it was like to have lived under prohibition.

How I dream of the sweet day that government finally relinquishing its control, allowing my husband and me to finally parent our children.

Jessica Peck Corry is a policy analyst with the Independence Institute in Golden and a co-founder of Guarding Our Children Against Marijuana Prohibition.

LittleLightShining
07-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Great article! I could have written it :)

JoshLowry
07-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Impressive. I bet she could get some good coverage from the MSM.

Lavoro
07-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Doesn't this crazy woman understand that it's one small step from toking on a joint to sucking dick in an alley for crack?:rolleyes:

torchbearer
07-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Doesn't this crazy woman understand that it's one small step from toking on a joint to sucking dick in an alley for crack?:rolleyes:

that sounds like most people's experience with the devil's weed.

TonySutton
07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
She needs to fix one thing. Tim Johnson is a democratic Senator from South Dakota. Not sure what his position on marijuana is. GARY Johnson is the former Governor of New Mexico who backs repealing drug prohibition laws.

Kotin
07-27-2009, 02:23 PM
thats exactly what the NORML movement needs..

I applaud this woman.

Matt Collins
07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
GARY Johnson is the former Governor of New Mexico who backs repealing drug prohibition laws.That was my thought!

Bman
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
The war on drugs is completely crazy. My father who does not do drugs or drink, never has, never will. Who is very much a conservative Republican thinks the war on drugs is a complete waste of time, money, and resources.

When will the republican party finally stop adopting socilaist views.

Objectivist
07-27-2009, 03:32 PM

How's that working out for ya?:eek:

Lavoro
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
How's that working out for ya?:eek:

YouTube - Menace II Society (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfzqzo31zag)

Objectivist
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
The war on drugs is completely crazy. My father who does not do drugs or drink, never has, never will. Who is very much a conservative Republican thinks the war on drugs is a complete waste of time, money, and resources.

When will the republican party finally stop adopting socilaist views.

Your father is an intelligent man.:)

dannno
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
They mixed up Tim Johnson with Gary Johnson.

Oh, Tony already caught that..

Bman
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Your father is an intelligent man.:)

Well lets not go to far. He heavily supported Iraq and Afghanistan. I've been working on him but he is also stubborn.

speciallyblend
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Colorado, amazing things are happening:) In my 3 counties, we have already voted in majority to legalize and in breckenridge it will be legal after we vote in nov:)

it will be legal statewide by 2012 or 2016:) only 100 dollar fine if caught with 1 ounce and a bowl($16 fine plus court! basically cheaper then a speeding ticket!

the gop in Colorado is in serious trouble and closer to becoming mute then they know!

Liberty Star
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
[CENTER]http://media.coloradodaily.com/coda/content/img/photos/2009/04/19/JessicaCorry_t200.JPG

[LEFT] Republican moms for marijuana: 'Time to legalize is now'

I could never have guessed that she liked the stuff :)

james1906
07-27-2009, 07:55 PM
[CENTER]http://media.coloradodaily.com/coda/content/img/photos/2009/04/19/JessicaCorry_t200.JPG

but but...marijuana will make this woman want to have sex with black jazz musicians and migrant farm workers!

Matt Collins
07-27-2009, 07:58 PM
marijuana will make this woman want to have sex with black jazz musicians and migrant farm workers!But I play rock music... and I'm white.... :(

james1906
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
But I play rock music... and I'm white.... :(
then demand the legalization of meth

RSLudlum
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
But I play rock music... and I'm white.... :(

Sorry Matt. It looks like you get the smacked up and tweaker women. :p